Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
I haven't bought a Sony console since the ps2, the giant brick-like one, but I'd join the army that stormed Sony's offices with torches and pitchforks.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Well, if this is just going to be some new way to monetize free to play games, I don't mind it. If they really have the balls to insert ads into sixty dollar games, then I will have absolutely no problem joining the protests in front of Sony HQ.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
I wont support this if only for the fact that no company anywhere seems to have the ability to match the sounds level of the advertisement to that of the media it is interrupting. Seriously, fiddling with sound levels every time an advertisement comes on drives me bloody insane.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Oh god, this is so terrible. Advertising is the bane of capitalism and the free market, as well as media and culture in general. The world would be way better without it. Anyone who disagrees, come at me, please.

Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Product placement can be used to enhance immersion in a game world. Who can imagine playing a game that takes place in Time Square NY where there aren't a million and one adds? Modern setting are already loaded down with ads, why the hell not? At that point it adds to the realism.

I figure this won't go anywhere and its protection for its own sake, you know in case someone else actually tries to release a gaming console/unit thingamabob with that idea and it takes off, then Sony will try to claim patent infringement or some such nonsense.

On the other hand, given how much the Gaming Industry likes to screw its players these days, who knows, could be coming to a PS4 near you. And if that remotely flies you can be sure Microsoft will either steal it, buy it or develop its own version for the whatever their next console will be called. I don't see this being integrated into PC hardware though. A lot of PC owners tend to know what they're buying these days, especially those who buy computers to game with, so they'd take one look at a GPU or CPU with that shit on it and walk.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Cyanide pill. If they implement this into new games on the PS3 and Vita they're swallowing that pill. The shit storm would be bigger than the ME3 debacle. I'm not a sony guy anymore, but this worries me that it could spread.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Terminate421 said:
The only time I don't care to see an ad is at this screen:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928112834/battlefield/images/5/59/Operation_Metro_Rush_Loading_Screen_-_Consoles.gif

You know, the screen where nothing is happening while the map loads?

So long as it doesn't happen when I am pinned down in the middle of a sniper zone, I could give less of a shit. I could imagine the irony when Pepsi is advertised while I am drinking my coke.

Though I also wouldn't care if there was a pepsi billboard stopping Tank Rounds from hitting me.
This kind of thinking is the problem. When you let them do stuff like that, thinking it's irrelevant, it doesn't take them long before they start doing more awful things. No ads at all is the only acceptable deal! No fuckin' compromise of any kind.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Sony, no. Just... no. Please. I know I've never bought one of your consoles, but I've come close many times. You will never see a penny from me, and many people like me, should you do this. I will not put up with ads while I'm playing a game. Put some ads on the console menus, maybe like on XBL's dashboard, but never one that will interrupt me while playing a game.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
It's a shame there's no italics for article titles. Sony could interrupt your games with ads but probably won't, might not even do it and no info as to what specific system they'd use it for. As said; it'd only work best on an always-on platform like a smartphone system or maybe for the next Vita.

Far more likely they're patenting the idea to make sure no-one else can use it OR anyone who did would have to pay Sony royalties.

bat32391 said:
Tamrin said:

I don't think I've laughed so hard at a video in ages. Who the hell made this?
Clear Blue. Yes, really. Saw it on TV myself on several occasions and laughed each time. It is a genuine advert.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Oh. So it was. Combined with my point that it was worthless for them to try this ends rather nicely.
"Pointless" is an incredibly subjective term and probably a bad one to use here.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Ads placed within games? Sure I can deal with that. I've seen it done before. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Ads replacing the loading screen for maps? Go right ahead.
Ads on the home screen when I first turn on my console? Xbox does it and the ads are that obstructive. I'm cool.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Eri said:
If you sell me the console really cheap and give me free games (including AAA games) sure, I might can deal.
They'd start out free, then become 5 bucks and so on and so forth.

So I'd suggest just not being ok with it so you don't lose what is available now.

Me personally? I'm 100% with clever in game marketing, like my hero drinking pepsi. I even liked that not-so-subtle sprite game on the Sega.

Just don't have actual ads break gameplay.

Shit most games are in the real world, we are all subjected to SO much marketing everyday that they could do it without breaking immersion.

Atmos Duality said:
I must question: Who the FUCK would willingly put up with this shit in a product they PAID FOR?
Everyone who buys movies and tv shows >_>.

The ads on those things get longer and longer, and it becomes trickier and trickier to skip the intro nonsense.

Probably why I rarely ever buy any of that stuff anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Aprilgold said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
And this is why PC gaming is king. We have always on DRM & we get day one DLC but i don't think anyone is trying to stop PC games in order to force an advertisement.
the PC Master Race keeps whining that games are being dumbed down for consoles or that games are "shitty console ports." What makes you think you're immune here?
Well obviously the kids who put out the image that playing games makes you Violent.

Lets just face it here, PC has moddable file, Steam and Origin, Onlive, modifiable case, modifiable hardrive, modifiable speakers, modifiable graphics-cards, modifiable keyboards and modifiable monitors and mice.

What does console gaming have on its side. Ease of just putting in a game doesn't count anymore because you all now got your own CD-Keys to put in, so, really nothing. Gimmicky add-ons?

While on topic, the more immature are the ones who put it into people's minds like Jack Thompson that Kids playing games = future serial killers waiting to happen by getting angry at games.
So you completely ignored what I said for a "PC IS GOD!!!!!!!!" Argument? Swell.

Next time, feel free to proseltyse. Just don't quote me when you do it.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
In games where it wouldn't break immersion by being completely out of place, I wouldn't mind product placement. Infact, if it reduced game prices I'd be all for it.

But I'm an immersion whore and if you interrupt my session of skyrim to advertise a rake, I'd be most upset.

I hope to god this doesn't happen.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Aprilgold said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
And this is why PC gaming is king. We have always on DRM & we get day one DLC but i don't think anyone is trying to stop PC games in order to force an advertisement.
the PC Master Race keeps whining that games are being dumbed down for consoles or that games are "shitty console ports." What makes you think you're immune here?
Well obviously the kids who put out the image that playing games makes you Violent.

Lets just face it here, PC has moddable file, Steam and Origin, Onlive, modifiable case, modifiable hardrive, modifiable speakers, modifiable graphics-cards, modifiable keyboards and modifiable monitors and mice.

What does console gaming have on its side. Ease of just putting in a game doesn't count anymore because you all now got your own CD-Keys to put in, so, really nothing. Gimmicky add-ons?

While on topic, the more immature are the ones who put it into people's minds like Jack Thompson that Kids playing games = future serial killers waiting to happen by getting angry at games.
So you completely ignored what I said for a "PC IS GOD!!!!!!!!" Argument? Swell.

Next time, feel free to proseltyse. Just don't quote me when you do it.
Right, lets go back to what you said.
Now I'm going to bold where I argued you from, since you forget or don't know.
The reason I avoided "Why do you think your invincible" is because the OP provides for us. Its the hardware not the games. This exists for either the next Sony console, a seperate console made by them or to stop someone like Microsoft from doing it.

Read through the thread, because its not like a Developer is going to let their apple of fun won't allow constant ad-blocks in their game. At least any one with any type of integrity or honor of their work.

To clear up. The phrase "The PC Master Race" is a continuation of people's hate for people who love their platform of choice, similar to the PS3 VS Xbox VS Wii wars, which you will not see on PC. Read the thread next time, its a hardware-patent, not a designer going "THIS WILL BE A GREAT IDEA!" more then likely, like everyone else is assuming, this is simply there so either Sony can keep it for a later console, or is going to be for a console that makes games free but you have to watch ads.

Now then, happy?