Sony: Cross-Game Chat Never Coming to PS3

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
dogstile said:
"256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM"

Wait really? That's it?

Christ I was expecting a hell of a lot more than that.
The Wii's RAM is just hilarious though. 88MB. Yeah, you heard it.

Druyn said:
dogstile said:

Wait really? That's it?

Its a five year old system, and the industry moves fast.
My laptop 6 years ago had 1GB of RAM, my Desktop had 4GB RAM and 512 MB RAM cost like $30 at the time I built that desktop. 256MB video RAM was average, but as plain RAM that is actually terrible seeing I had more on my 10 year old desktop.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Scizophrenic Llama said:
I find this insanely ironic given the PS3 being dubbed the stronger of the two consoles. Somebody is doing something wrong here.
Yea, I thought these guys were clever. I'm sure there's a way they could figure it out, especially if they came up with a method that would use less memory or maybe a dongle of some sort.
It's like how they don't have custom soundtracks because of some patent by MS or a threat to boycott by EA: so what about negotiating with MS for the patent or calling EA's bluff? Sony's excuses are never very satisfying are they?
I can see the function coming along eventually but only if you subscribe to Plus.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the point in cross game chat. Why the hell would you want to talk to someone playing a different game? And isn't that what phones are for?
Maybe because you would both talk about something other than the games you're playing?

I was playing red faction last night while my friend was playing COD. We were talking about a nerdy girls and a trip down to the pub. Its pretty much a phone.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
dogstile said:
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the point in cross game chat. Why the hell would you want to talk to someone playing a different game? And isn't that what phones are for?
Maybe because you would both talk about something other than the games you're playing?

I was playing red faction last night while my friend was playing COD. We were talking about a nerdy girls and a trip down to the pub. Its pretty much a phone.
You... didn't really make a good counter-argument. He asked "Isn't that what phones are for?" You basically said it is a phone... So... use a phone? I put mine on speaker and everything's good.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
GamerKT said:
dogstile said:
-Samurai- said:

You... didn't really make a good counter-argument. He asked "Isn't that what phones are for?" You basically said it is a phone... So... use a phone? I put mine on speaker and everything's good.
I'm also going to point out that £40 a year to be able to phone people for as long as I like is better than most phones.

Maybe its because you're thinking about it like it isn't a phone when in everything but the design, it is?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
dogstile said:

Wait really? That's it?

yeah, that's kind of surprising. It also just goes to show how unimportant RAM is in the context of a fast, efficient machine.

It annoys the hell out of me when I drop by some retailer and all they have on specs for their laptops are RAM and screen size.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
dogstile said:
GamerKT said:
dogstile said:
-Samurai- said:

I'm also going to point out that £40 a year to be able to phone people for as long as I like is better than most phones.

Maybe its because you're thinking about it like it isn't a phone when in everything but the design, it is?
Like sitting in front of your TV to call someone? Sorry, I understand how people want the feature, but having a phone with speakers gets the job done for me just fine. I understand how it wouldn't work for you and others, though. I'm just saying that it's a very viable option.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I could care less about cross chat in the PS3. When I play online, I don't like to talk to people with mics, only to hear background noises, random conversations, and a lot of cussing for no reason. I always like to play with the voices OFF. And I don't play multiplayer that much anyway.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
GamerKT said:
dogstile said:
GamerKT said:
dogstile said:
-Samurai- said:

Like sitting in front of your TV to call someone? Sorry, I understand how people want the feature, but having a phone with speakers gets the job done for me just fine. I understand how it wouldn't work for you and others, though. I'm just saying that it's a very viable option.
Who said i'm always sat in front of my tv? Wireless headsets exist. Seriously, there is no difference between a phone and a mic for an Xbox, that's my entire point.

(note, homephone, not mobile)

Anyway, going out now, hope I kinda got the point across in a non hostile way

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Its why I prefer my 360, even if all my friends on it are the generic 13 year old cod players instead of the generic 13 year old rpg players like me.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
yet the 360 has the same amount of RAM, only it's shared between CPU and GPU.

Methinks the real reason is a lot more to do with lazyness.

Employee 1: 'We should really rewrite this part of the code and put it in one of our updates, then we can do cross game chat.'

Employee 2: 'Nah, that looks like work, we'll just blame it on RAM or something.'

Kevin Butler: 'Sounds like a plan bitches!'
No, because older games expect to get all of the available ram. You just can't give them all of it and then take it back later and expect them to work correctly. There is literally no RAM to give, because then something in the game would have to be deallocated, and that would crash the software.

It was a bad design decision back from when they started creating the console. Can't change it now, unless they want to come out with a new console revision that pissess off everyone who already bought a PS3.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
dogstile said:
GamerKT said:
dogstile said:
GamerKT said:
dogstile said:
-Samurai- said:

Well, you did, but PS3 owners can't do that... What I'M saying is that using a cell phone is a great alternative to cross-game chat. In fact, it's the only option they have. So, I'm just letting people know, really.

Who said i'm always sat in front of my tv? Wireless headsets exist. Seriously, there is no difference between a phone and a mic for an Xbox, that's my entire point.

(note, homephone, not mobile)

Anyway, going out now, hope I kinda got the point across in a non hostile way

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
Cross game chat was possibly the best thing to ever happen to the Xbox. I remember when all of my friends would get a new game that I didn't have, and suddenly I'd have no one to talk to. Then they came out with the party chat, and I was never lonely again. I feel for you, PS3 gamers.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
SgtFoley said:
I never really understood the appeal in cross-game chat. If I am playing a game with a friend well it only takes 2 seconds to hit mute all and unmute them and if I am not playing a game with a friend well there is a reason for that. Anything that I have to say to a friend can be said just as fast through a message then cross-game chat.
There has been plenty of times I have been playing a game, while another friend plays another game. Sure we might have gotten to playing the same game eventually, but we have chatted for over an hour before both popping in the same game to play.

Example from a few days ago, I had just put in WWE Allstars and wanted to play for a while, and he was making several Tuning setups in Forza 3 and didn't want to stop mid-process. However that let us chat about whatever we wanted until we both finished what we were doing, and could both throw in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to play some Rush rounds.

Was it "needed"? No. But it's certainly easier then typing out dozens of messages (even with the chatpad). Talking for an hour is much easier on voice when I'm already mid-game. I don't have time to type out a message while playing, in any game you can't pause (most fighting games, CoD/battlefield type games) that is just asking to lose.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
markcocjin said:
PS3 Steam says hi.
SHIFT-TAB!
SHIFT-TAB!
SHIF-Wait,the game is loading so it isn't opening!

OT:Kind of sad that cross chat will never really happen on PSN,but then again not many users have a headset compared to Xbox owners who got a free one with every Xbox.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That's actually a huge downer, I was hoping for an update given Vita's chat. Still, it's never caused me much concern and it'll undoubtedly be fixed for their next console.
There's always my laptop and skype.
Also,
Mike Kayatta said:
"360 has the best games!"
That excuse is several years late.