Sony: Cross-Game Chat Never Coming to PS3

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Don't only a minority of PS3 gamers own a headset with which to partake in cross-game chat anyway...?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Easton Dark said:
EcoEclipse said:
Don't only a minority of PS3 gamers own a headset with which to partake in cross-game chat anyway...?
Can anyone possibly know that?
I could have sworn I read that somewhere recently. I could be wrong, though.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
This doesn't really bother me at all. I probably would never use it anyway. Anything I need to say I could just type out, I'm not long-winded at all.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
GamerKT said:
dogstile said:
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the point in cross game chat. Why the hell would you want to talk to someone playing a different game? And isn't that what phones are for?
Maybe because you would both talk about something other than the games you're playing?

I was playing red faction last night while my friend was playing COD. We were talking about a nerdy girls and a trip down to the pub. Its pretty much a phone.
You... didn't really make a good counter-argument. He asked "Isn't that what phones are for?" You basically said it is a phone... So... use a phone? I put mine on speaker and everything's good.
Well sure except no long distance charges, no time restrictions, and you can have a conversation with 7 other people at the same time.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Mouse_Crouse said:
Beautiful End said:
Second, if we're not playing the same game, then what's the point in having a conversation that goes like:

Player 1: "Oh, crap! This guy just shot me in the head!"
Player 2: "What was that? Sorry, I was watching this Dragon Age cutscene..."
Player 1: "I said t-- THERE HE IS AGAIN!"
Player 2: "Aw, man! I couldn't hear what this guy said! Dude!"
Player 1: "Sorry! it's just that this guy is pissing me off. He went..."
Player 2: "He went...?"
Player 1: "Hold on. I'm chasing the--"
Player 2: "RANDOM DRAGON! RUN!"

You get the idea. I just think it's not necessary.
While funny, I really hope that not what you would do while playing a game. I don't sit playing a game talking to myself about everything that it happening to me that I can see already.

Do you play Call of Duty, in a chat with no-one yelling "look out" "he's right over there" "I'm out of ammo!"? I don't, I sit silently playing my game, with an occasional "wow" or the like. I have no problem playing a game and carrying on a conversation about something else.

Like in my earlier example, me playing a wrestling game, with him in a racing game. Neither of us spent our time giving accidental play-by-play commentary.
I s'ppose that's just based off my experience with games. When I'm on the phone with a friend or something, I do tend to accidentally comment on stuff I do, such as, "Well, I hope traffic doesn't screw your day. Aw, man. Now I need more rupies. Sorry, you were saying?"

And amazingly, I haven't heard anyone play CoD or any FPS properly, that is, the way you describe it. You know "Help! I'm cornered!" or "Someone wait here and I'll lure them in!" or "Lie low for now, guys." You know, useful stuff. I don't know if its bad luck or if people playing the PS3 version are just not into teamwork and are more into...cussing and...being dumb?

Actually, that would be an interesting thesis: People who have cross-game chat are more team oriented. Now, I can't say 360 players are more into teamwork because of this but I have heard a lot of 360 owners boast about their crusades and chat sessions. Most PS3 owners (That I know) don't brag about that; they brag about personal achievements and stuff like that. I could be wrong but that's the way I see it.

Huh.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
erztez said:
I just love the fact that my cell phone has more power and memory than the durr*mos powaful conzole dudz*durr on the market:)
Also, it allows me to talk to anyone I want to, any TIME I want to, even when there's no power socket in sight:p

How about you go take that phone through a tunnel.....With a dead battery. :p

Joking aside, if we really really wanted to talk to our friends, we probably could just use a phone. :)

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Thunderhorse31 said:
That's pretty much how I treat mine, and it's awesome. ;)

I'm getting the feeling that the people reacting to this news saying "So what, who cares?" either:

a) Don't play multiplayer games,
b) Don't have online friends,
c) Are being slightly... stubborn. Yeah, that's what we'll call it.

It's like if someone criticized the Xbox for not being able to hold games on one disk (BluRay > DVD), and the response was "So what? I LOVE getting up and switching disks every few hours. I mean, I have LEGS, don't I? Pfft. Unnecessary."
Yeah, that and a few decent exclusives are really all that I would want a PS3 for, and now that I'm having to switch discs to play L.A. Noire the point is really driven home. However, that still is not worth the $300 and the additional demands on my gaming time. I'm not one of those 'PS3 sucks' 360 fanboys; I can recognize the PS3 is a good system, I just don't have the time or money to dedicate to more than one.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
EcoEclipse said:
I mostly use mine when playing with my friends(online and offline so I can personally "repay" grief given to me by them) who have PS3s of their own. So this doesn't bother me really.

That and I'm more of a single/co-op player anyway.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the point in cross game chat. Why the hell would you want to talk to someone playing a different game? And isn't that what phones are for?
Phone calls cost money, land line yes, and takes up prepaid cellphone units.

Example: I've been playing Halo Reach with some friends for a couple hours, they still want to play, but I want to play something else. I stick that something else in and I can still talk to my friends. I don't have to pause the game to make a call and they don't have to hide somewhere to take the call so they don't get shot.

If I want to come back to the game, I can ask if they are still playing and that I will come back and play some more. It is extremely convenient, because it takes 20 times as long to type out and send, Hey, you still playing Halo? I'm going to join back.

It's rather silly to say cross game chat isn't highly useful. Yes, it only saves 2 or 3 minutes each time, but that adds up.

And really, do you actually like talking to your friends? When you're playing a different game, all of a sudden you just can't talk to them?

I've cross game chatted hundreds of times. I talk about the game I'm playing, they talk about the game they're playing. We throw jokes around. We make plans for face to face parties. We talk about any game news that people in the group might not have heard about.

Heck and the most important thing, I can talk to them if they are playing a game that I don't have. I don't have to own the game to talk to them.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
-Samurai- said:
Phone calls cost money, land line yes, and takes up prepaid cellphone units.
Hence why it isn't available through a free online service PSN.
It isn't really necessary considering most (not all) people who can afford a PS3 have a cellphone.

Never really saw the feature essential since I have a phone but didn't really see why it should be allowed till now. Once again you get what you pay for and with PSN thats online gaming not much more.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Bah, I've all but given up on Sony anyway. I supported them early on because of games like Socom and, much later, Uncharted. Now, Socom is complete trash and Sony is insisting on destroying its first party titles with their Wii controller just to squeeze another 150 bucks out of their customer base.

Sick of Sony and their crap.

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
...and? I don't really use multiplayer, and when I do its with my friends. So if we want to chat, we can use Skype or Yahoo.

Besides, you can get the annoying players who complain and scream in the mic. I see this as a blessing. And my complaints about the 360 have nothing to do with the games, hardware or software and more to do with the controller, which I find uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
It's one of the weird things about consoles design. While generally all that console developers do is copy what happened to work well on PC's, some important things are left out for no reason. As far as i remember, 2GB's of RAM was a standard in PC's when this console generation came out - why consoles didn't have at least 1GB is a mystery - it's not like RAM is expensive, and that's the only reason i can think of that could matter.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
And this is why PC gamers are the master race. Skype/Mumble/Vent FTW.

RED ALERT! ALL POWER TO THE ANTI-FLAME SHEILDS!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well I can safely say I don't care. I don't use in game chat, but that's largely due to the fact that besides the Escapecraft I don't really have any online friends. And my real friends, well I talk to them at other times. It's possible that I don't need to be talking to someone all the time.