Sony: Cross-Game Chat Never Coming to PS3

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
No big for me. If I want to chat with my friends while playing a game we'll usually have Skype up. If I'm just playing fighters with them we text each other in between matches.

Aug 1, 2010
That's sort of annoying, but then again, I haven't turned on my PS3 for more than a few hours in the past 3 years.

Still, this seems like a feature that would be SO easy to implement.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
My graphics card alone has twice the RAM of the PS3, sitting on 8 GB on the main board. That, kids, is why you go PC.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Myeh not a massive deal tbh.
As long as its in the PS4, but even then I dont think i'd mind if it wasnt.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Notthatbright said:
Abandon4093 said:
yet the 360 has the same amount of RAM, only it's shared between CPU and GPU.

Methinks the real reason is a lot more to do with lazyness.

Employee 1: 'We should really rewrite this part of the code and put it in one of our updates, then we can do cross game chat.'

Employee 2: 'Nah, that looks like work, we'll just blame it on RAM or something.'

Kevin Butler: 'Sounds like a plan bitches!'
No, because older games expect to get all of the available ram. You just can't give them all of it and then take it back later and expect them to work correctly. There is literally no RAM to give, because then something in the game would have to be deallocated, and that would crash the software.

It was a bad design decision back from when they started creating the console. Can't change it now, unless they want to come out with a new console revision that pissess off everyone who already bought a PS3.
even then you'd have some of the community able to vice and others not, incompatibility and complaints all around.. it would be a nightmare o_O
it's a job for a new console for sure!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I guess I'm in the "get off my lawn" mode but why would I want to chat with people who are playing a different game? Can't you just set your mobile phone down in speaker mode if you want to do that?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I'm not fond of Cross Game chat, I really don't want to talk to someone playing another, it'll probably mess with my Modjo.

Mike Kayatta said:
people have argued about which console is best. "PS3 has the best graphics!" "360 has the best games!" "Wii has the best ... um, controller wiggling!"
The Wii clearly has the best vitality sensor.

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
Unhappy Crow said:
I could care less about cross chat in the PS3. When I play online, I don't like to talk to people with mics, only to hear background noises, random conversations, and a lot of cussing for no reason. I always like to play with the voices OFF. And I don't play multiplayer that much anyway.
Oh, you got the creepy heavy mouthbreather too, right? And the other guy who won't blow his nose, just keeps snorting up whatever it is that's plugging him up? Or the real winner, who has the stereo on full-blast and everything's echoing, including himself in some distorted moebius-like unreality that Cthulhu would be proud of?

And between all these weird noises, they're ranting and swearing and blaming their teammates as to why the team is losing. Yeah, talking - OFF.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Not surprising... this just re-affirms my belief that PS3 is primarily for solitary game play... Sony thought it could handle the online networking side of things on it's own and compete with Microsoft... a company who for YEARS worked in the online space before Sony did.

We are just seeing the fallout from that.... badly implemented security paradigms, sub par online service and now, standard online features being unavailable due to design flaws.

So yeah, you want a powerful system to play games on BY YOURSELF.... PS3 is the way to go :).

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I, too, don't care about the lack of cross-game chatting.

I bought my PS3 first and foremost because I love the selection of games. The online gaming and chatting was just a nice bonus for me.

And honestly, I always found it annoying to be chatting with someone else while I'm playing a different game. For once, we have cellphones for that. Second, if we're not playing the same game, then what's the point in having a conversation that goes like:

Player 1: "Oh, crap! This guy just shot me in the head!"
Player 2: "What was that? Sorry, I was watching this Dragon Age cutscene..."
Player 1: "I said t-- THERE HE IS AGAIN!"
Player 2: "Aw, man! I couldn't hear what this guy said! Dude!"
Player 1: "Sorry! it's just that this guy is pissing me off. He went..."
Player 2: "He went...?"
Player 1: "Hold on. I'm chasing the--"
Player 2: "RANDOM DRAGON! RUN!"

You get the idea. I just think it's not necessary.

On the other hand, it's kinda sad to see Sony not being able to tackle that while the 360 can. You know Xbox HXC fans are just gonna keep bringing that up in every PS vs 360 arguments.
(Nothing against 360 fans. It just annoys me when people fail to admit there's pros and cons for every system in a mature way.)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
gCrusher said:
Oh, you got the creepy heavy mouthbreather too, right? And the other guy who won't blow his nose, just keeps snorting up whatever it is that's plugging him up? Or the real winner, who has the stereo on full-blast and everything's echoing, including himself in some distorted moebius-like unreality that Cthulhu would be proud of?

And between all these weird noises, they're ranting and swearing and blaming their teammates as to why the team is losing. Yeah, talking - OFF.
THIS! Oh, god. I lol'd.
I got a free Bluetooth set from a friend of mine and I tried it once. I couldn't understand other clearly and vice versa. I sat and listened: Cussing, people yelling, rude people, background music, other distant convos...
Yeah, I'm the kind of person who mutes everyone who has a mic on.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Aaannd? We've gone what? 4-5 years without it, I think we'll be fine for the next 4-5 years or whenever the next console comes out.

This is less of an issue than people are making it out to be. Xbox 360's now starting to be discontinued in Japan? That's a bigger issue, though also not really a big one.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Second, if we're not playing the same game, then what's the point in having a conversation that goes like:

Player 1: "Oh, crap! This guy just shot me in the head!"
Player 2: "What was that? Sorry, I was watching this Dragon Age cutscene..."
Player 1: "I said t-- THERE HE IS AGAIN!"
Player 2: "Aw, man! I couldn't hear what this guy said! Dude!"
Player 1: "Sorry! it's just that this guy is pissing me off. He went..."
Player 2: "He went...?"
Player 1: "Hold on. I'm chasing the--"
Player 2: "RANDOM DRAGON! RUN!"

You get the idea. I just think it's not necessary.
While funny, I really hope that not what you would do while playing a game. I don't sit playing a game talking to myself about everything that it happening to me that I can see already.

Do you play Call of Duty, in a chat with no-one yelling "look out" "he's right over there" "I'm out of ammo!"? I don't, I sit silently playing my game, with an occasional "wow" or the like. I have no problem playing a game and carrying on a conversation about something else.

Like in my earlier example, me playing a wrestling game, with him in a racing game. Neither of us spent our time giving accidental play-by-play commentary.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
TPiddy said:
Not surprising... this just re-affirms my belief that PS3 is primarily for solitary game play... Sony thought it could handle the online networking side of things on it's own and compete with Microsoft... a company who for YEARS worked in the online space before Sony did.

We are just seeing the fallout from that.... badly implemented security paradigms, sub par online service and now, standard online features being unavailable due to design flaws.

So yeah, you want a powerful system to play games on BY YOURSELF.... PS3 is the way to go :).
That's pretty much how I treat mine, and it's awesome. ;)

I'm getting the feeling that the people reacting to this news saying "So what, who cares?" either:

a) Don't play multiplayer games,
b) Don't have online friends,
c) Are being slightly... stubborn. Yeah, that's what we'll call it.

It's like if someone criticized the Xbox for not being able to hold games on one disk (BluRay > DVD), and the response was "So what? I LOVE getting up and switching disks every few hours. I mean, I have LEGS, don't I? Pfft. Unnecessary."

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't really care to be honest, and even if the PS3 had cross game chat I'd never use it. I really don't want to be talking to people while I'm playing a game and hearing my friends play theirs.

But if I really wanted to talk to someone I'd probably use Skype, and call it a day, problem solved.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
That shiny black box beneath your television is sporting only 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM, while its portable counterpart coming out early next year will boast 512MB of system alongside 128MB of video.
Hey Sony, my computer has 8GB of RAM. Want to borrow 64MB to make it work?

coolerthanice21

Feb 23, 2010
It's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about, but the article states that PS Vita has enough RAM for cross-game chat, and I've read that the PS Vita will theoretically be able to operate with the PS3 the same way that the ipad look-alike will work with the Wii U. So then couldn't cross-game chat be achieved on the PS3 through the PS Vita (assuming someone wanted cross-game chat enough to spend that much money)?