Sony Files Patent for Backwards-Compatible PS3 Add-on

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Couldn't just release a patch Sony? That fancy Blu-ray player I we're forking over money for can read a last gen disc now can it not? What's next? An external player for "backwards compatibility" with DVDs? I'm sorry, I love my PS3. Far more than I love my X-box...and my Wii is gathering dust...but this is just an insult.

My Phat 60 gig died last week and I'm picking up the new 320gig when it launches on Fri, and this changes that not ONE IOTA! But still Song...bad form! T'ain't Cricket.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Jumplion said:
dochmbi said:
dana22 said:
I'd rather jailbreak ps3.
Wow probation for this, of course he can't do whatever he wants with his own property, it's not like there are any civil rights.
He promoted piracy and/or illegal activity, I don't think the Escapist allows that...
There was nothing there about piracy or illegal activity, at least the way I interpreted this post. As I understood it he meant that by jailbreaking the PS3 you could play your owned PS2 games on it. How can some company come tell me what I can do with my property in the privacy of my own home when doing so harms nobody, how is that justifiable?

If it were illegal, then by the same token it would also be illegal to modify a car to replicate the experience you get if you bought a more expensive model from the same manufacturer.

getbonus

Sep 14, 2010
Really, Sony? Certainly an unexpected 'solution'.

I have two slim PS2s, NA and JP, standing next to my Wii, so this isn't the issue for me that it is for some folks.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
dochmbi said:
There was nothing there about piracy or illegal activity, at least the way I interpreted this post. As I understood it he meant that by jailbreaking the PS3 you could play your owned PS2 games on it. How can some company come tell me what I can do with my property in the privacy of my own home when doing so harms nobody, how is that justifiable?

If it were illegal, then by the same token it would also be illegal to modify a car to replicate the experience you get if you bought a more expensive model from the same manufacturer.
When you buy a console, or a computer, or software, you are agreeing to a contract that basically means that the parent company owns the device. You are merely "authorised" to use it in the way that they see fit. That's why Sony can do dick moves like this and get away with it.

A car on the other hand, is yours. As long as it's road-legal then the parent company can't do anything to you if you mod it or change parts. They can recommend using certain products, but they can't take your car away from you if you use the wrong oil.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Cynical skeptic said:
Jaded Scribe said:
"the spread," meaning sony's dogged determination to sabotage interest in it's own product. "Beating it," as in, buying into the ps3 anyway.

Also, saying "i know tons of ps3 owners happy with the ps3" is like saying, "i know tons of fish happy with breathing water." Once you take the plunge you can't really go back, now can you? You have to justify the purchase to yourself. I forget the term for it.

By the way, stop acting like I'm trying to piss you off or something. I'm merely stating facts and deriving interpretation from them.
I have never acted like you're trying to piss me off. You are the one that is way too worked up over this. The first posts I saw by you (before I even joined this conversation) were "There is no excuse for anyone to have even considered this" and "stop thinking its okay to pay for what you used to get free.".

You were tying your panties in a knot long before I joined in.

And looking at the phrases you use, it's apparent that you're one of those "I've decided that Sony is bad, therefore anyone who disagrees with me is wrong" people.

Examples:

"There is no excuse for anyone to have even considered this."
"You have to justify the purchase to yourself."

Where in the second, by use of the word "justify" you clearly imply that those of us who enjoy the PS3 only force ourselves to do so to validate the purchase. That isn't so. I have never questioned the choice to buy a PS3 and the only "justification" I need is that I I thoroughly enjoy it, and make extensive use for it.

I, for one, am actually quite happy they took out hardware that didn't work. It means that it is less likely for said hardware to interfere in my games. It makes it easier for them to patch other things because they don't have to worry about how the new patches and software will interact with the defunct hardware.

You clearly have never worked in software development. It's very easy for those not familiar with the trials of software development to be ignorant in how difficult it really can be sometimes, and how the pieces fit together. Obviously, when they said they could patch it, they thought they could. But as the code actually came together, it must have hit an unexpected snag (e.g. grew too large and unwieldy, had undesirable interactions with other aspects of the console, etc etc etc) and therefore scrapped it. Now someone came up with a good idea to bring it back into the realm of feasibility.

Welcome to software development. This kind of stuff happens all the time.

You haven't "pissed me off" in the slightest, because, honestly, monkeys like you aren't worth getting worked up over.

You have two choices:
1) You can continue blasting Sony for this, wasting your time, and looking rather silly for having no idea how the cycles of game development (really software development as a whole) really works.

2) Just move on with your life. You don't have to buy the new peripheral. No one is forcing you to. Sony is not putting a gun to your head to make you buy it. You can continue using a PS2 for your PS2 games. Those of us with an interest in the product don't affect you, or your choice to buy it, in any way, shape, or form.

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
and this is why I'm glad I have my good old 60gig PS3, I'm not going to shell out additional dollars to play my old ps/ps2 games

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
dochmbi said:
Jumplion said:
dochmbi said:
dana22 said:
Wow probation for this, of course he can't do whatever he wants with his own property, it's not like there are any civil rights.
He promoted piracy and/or illegal activity, I don't think the Escapist allows that...

Later on in the thread he did;

Dana22 said:
vxicepickxv said:
Dana22 said:
How exactly would this work? Software driven PS2 emulation?
I actually dont know. I dont own a ps3, but Ive read that the jailbreak "Teensy" thingy can run ps2 games on all versions of ps3 (whether it is fat or slim).
But whatever, it's just a probation, nothing to get your nickers in a twist. Jailbreaking can, and usually does, lead to pirating games, so that is why Sony does not allow you to do that without voiding the warranty.

The car model does not work here as modifying a car won't make it drive an older model, as far as I know.