Sony Files Patent for Universal Game Controller

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee i don't think ms and nintendo will like a sony controller controlling their products , the screen is a bad idea and the potential cost per unit would be high ... no thank you sony i'll stick to my 360 controller

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
mmm I wonder if the US court ruling on generic garage remote controls would apply here? IIRC there was a case about a decade ago where the manufacture of automatic garage doors sued a company that made universal controls and lost decidedly. So it could be applicable here, making it legal.

On the tech front I'm not so sure how well a touchpad controller would work, I like the idea of being able to configure it to suit older consoles and such, mobile phones with that tech annoy the ever loving shit out of me, then again it's only a controller, which would be bigger then a normal mobile, so it could work much better.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
Great idea. I see most comments are concerned about the touch screen since we all know you can't feel buttons on a screen, but tactile feedback on touch screens is already here and will only get better in the near future.

Overall good idea though, even if it is from Sony. The only problem is no analogue sticks, but I guess you might be able to pull it off with a touch screen.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I am not sure I want pony making this controller since they have routinely failed to make comfortable controllers in the past.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
That would be really nice, but PS3's use usb, doesn't the 360 use some other sort of connection? I maybe be wrong about that though.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
reg42 said:
That would be really nice, but PS3's use usb, doesn't the 360 use some other sort of connection? I maybe be wrong about that though.
Xbox360 uses USB as well.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
it's probably safe to assume that it'll be a long while yet before you've got a Sony controller plugged into your GameCube
Actually had an adapter to do that. hated the GC layout so always took my PS2 controller for Smash Bros etc. funny that I now much prefer the 360 controller to play with!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'm curious how it will possibly work for the 3 consoles as they are right now.

playstation and 360 are similar, but one has 6 axis, the other has rumble. And Sony made it clear while first pitching the idea of 6-axis to the consumers that these two technologies were fundamentally incompatible.

the Wii controller is completely incompatible with the other 2 though. It uses a Infared Camera, and 2 seperate (3 if you count Wii Motion Plus) motion sensitivities, and also has a speaker on the controller itself, and the games controls are designed to make intuitive (lol) use of the nunchuck control scheme.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
I have to go with the consensus here. I will more than 90% buy this product. IF and thats a BIIIIIIG IF, the price is right.

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
360 uses usb as well reg42.

Don't like the sound of this pad i would not be happy playing on a tuchscreen so ill be giving it a miss.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
An LCD touch-screen in stead of actual buttons? No thanks.

I need to feel what I'm pressing without having to look down at the controller to see if my thumb is still in the right position for whatever button-image appears on screen. I wouldn't be able to play games with this thing.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
And is it just me, or the schemas don't show trigger and bumper buttons? Just a thought. I realize it's a pretty basic schema that's shown here, so maybe they really thought about it.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Right.. I foresee Microsoft and Nintendo redesigning their interface ports for the next generation, patenting everything, and then suing Sony if they make an adaptor to interface with said ports. Game controllers are a profitable commodity to these companies. A universal controller only benefits the consumer, and that doesn't interest the companies at all unless they're the one's making it.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah good luck with that Sony, Mircosoft and Nintendo will find a way to kill this idea dead, the Wii makes buckets by its gimcky extras.

Also, its not going to replace my mouse and keyboard.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Not sure how well it would work with the wii... I guess there is always classic controller but still, it seems less universal.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Ugh. This thing sounds awful. Thanks to the iphone, everyone's jumping on the touch screen bandwagon. Yes, it has it's uses, but it'd be awful for a console gamepad. I need that tactile feel on the controller when I play. When I press a button, I like to know just by touch that's pressed it properly, and that it's the right button, just by feel. This will most likely be vapourware, or a huge flop.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
The concept is great. The touchscreen, not so much. I take great care with my DS screen, and I still go through screen covers fairly quickly. Controllers have to be even more rugged. Touch screens are known for many things, but durability isn't one of them.

Plus, I prefer tactile feedback. I don't want to look down to see what I'm pressing.

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
it definitely sounds cool, but that touch screen better be up to snuff or i guarantee it will fly across my living and smash at high speed into the wall.