Sony Files Patent for Universal Game Controller

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Touch screen? Bad.
Wireless? Won't be for 360, since Microsoft isn't giving that tech to anyone. So: Bad.
Cost? Well, since it's a touch screen and programmable for multiple consoles, then the cost will be through the roof (For a controller). So: Bad.

I don't see this working...at all.
Gimme buttons, please. Not a screen for my greasy, sweaty thumbs to ruin.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I'm actually kinda surprised Sony is going this route. Kudos to them, though, it'll be a convenience for us, and certainly help them make some extra money in the process.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
reg42 said:
That would be really nice, but PS3's use usb, doesn't the 360 use some other sort of connection? I maybe be wrong about that though.
what about backwards compatibility?

"The controller provides for backward compatibility so that it may be programmed to emulate the key layout of an older controller that may no longer be available, so that an owner of an older game console can still use the console,
Hooray I will be able to play Mario 3 on my NES again! by using this LCD controller set to NES controller as shown on Figure (2)

All I have to do is plug the USB into this...

... oh dear

Thanks Sony, for crushing my dreams.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
UltimatheChosen said:
The concept is great. The touchscreen, not so much. I take great care with my DS screen, and I still go through screen covers fairly quickly. Controllers have to be even more rugged. Touch screens are known for many things, but durability isn't one of them.

Plus, I prefer tactile feedback. I don't want to look down to see what I'm pressing.
Do what I do and use a cotton bud as a stylus to stop scratching up the screen, but not a cheap cotton bud, go for a top of the range Johnsons and Johnson (a family company) cotton bud. Only the best a DS can get.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Reminds me of the old days when coleco came out with an attachment that let you play atari games

except multi compatible controllers are actually legal XD

It does sound like a really cool idea though, it's certainly different

or is it like using an iphone as a controller?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Interesting... a few more developments along this line and the console wars would finally end.

PunchClockVillain

Oct 3, 2009
Out of all 3 companies, why are we letting Sony make it? I've got more finger cramps from their controllers than I have from the old NES ones (which were unergonomic rectangular prisms).

PS: Remember the LCD display on the old Dreamcast memory cards? I thought those were the shit.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
So it's a kempston joystick interface then?

Amigas used those, so did Atari CPCs, some Spectrums, and the Megadrive.

Also: LCD display? I can has haptic feeback pls?

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
This idea is gold, but the touch screen idea is going to make it fail. I like buttons, I'd rather have a solid, relible button than touch screen anyday, thats why I have a lot of disdain for the DS, because they shoehorn in gimmicky features that just end up being annoying to shift between he buttons and the touch stick. So no, I wont get this.

Once again Sony: brilliant idea, poor follow through.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sweet. Although the Wiimote shape is a big issue. The Wii is comfortable, I'd rather not wave around a clunky controller.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Look at your controller for five minutes. Notice all those marks on it? notice oen of the button not responding as well as it did the day you got it? Well, now put all the wear and tear from every controller you own and still use and put it on one controller.

Fuck this. It'll never be made and i will never buy it.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
I'll pass... the inability to feel the buttons you're pressing will not end well for many. Or maybe just me. The widespread use of touchscreens is lost on me, it feels incredibly foreign to me.

How about Sony invest these resources into some more user-friendly development tools for the PS3 so it can have more great exclusive titles...

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
I can't help but think that they have no intention of ever making this, only patenting it to stop someone else from doing it.
Mind you, one of these would cost a fair bit, so I suppose it wouldn't be much competition to the DualShock3.
Every time someone mentioned Apple releasing a gaming console I imagined them having a touch screen controller with programmable buttons.
I'm guessing Sony did too.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
No dammit! I wanted to see a 360 controller modded for a ps3 so I can play shooters on the ps3 without my hand cramping.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
The DSM said:
hmm....I dont know, I could see it costing alot, not to mention I dont think Nintendo will be happy with them taking away the money the make when you have to buy new controler every time you hurl a wii remote thorugh your T.V.
Well you need to swing this one harder then the Wiimote, and the flat screen will easily slip through your fingers :p

oh God, I just created a new problem...

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Earthmonger said:
Right.. I foresee Microsoft and Nintendo redesigning their interface ports for the next generation, patenting everything, and then suing Sony if they make an adaptor to interface with said ports. Game controllers are a profitable commodity to these companies. A universal controller only benefits the consumer, and that doesn't interest the companies at all unless they're the one's making it.
Naw, wouldn't even bother with that. They'd just release a firmware update that 'unfortunately' prevents it from working. After Sony has had a chance to produce a few thousand. It does strike me as killing a potentially troublesome market before it starts rather than wanting to invest, though.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
How is it going to emulate analogue buttons and triggers?

One thing I love about the 360 controller is that I'm able to drive a powerful car on Forza 3 perfectly, without traction control and anti-lock brakes, because I can gently depress the triggers by about 10%-50% to drive the car without wheel spin or locking up the brakes.

Wouldn't a touch screen be digital, and in the case of a driving game the inputs would be either 0 or 100% acceleration, braking and steering, making accurate control impossible?

I suppose it might have it's applications for causual or less complicate games, but for most games which make use of analogue inputs, I can't see it working very well.

It this does get released, it will be interesting to see whether Microsoft bans it's use from X-Box Live, saying that it's a modded controller and could offer players an unfair advantage... even if it's untrue they might just ban it because it's Sony.