Sony Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over PSN Breach

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
There is no evidence to support that the users credit card information was comprimised. This isn't going anywhere, just like when Toyota was sued for the gas pedals. Simply put, this is what they are suing about:

"Sony, you got hacked. And it's your fault you pissed off an entire community of hackers (with probable bad intentions) by suing one of their people, because he hacked your code and told everyone else how to do it. Now these hackers have seen my name, my account, where i live, and my email address. Probably haven't done anything with it because you shut down the network like you were sopposed to"

gring

Sep 14, 2010
This is ridiculous. I mean, am I upset that the psn was hacked? yes.

Should sony have done more to protect its info? yes.

Should sony get sued? Oh hell yes.

But really.... BILLIONS?! That's TOTALLY uncalled for. How does that help?

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
I'm sorry, but how can a small group of people represent the millions affected by this?
And I'm guessing THEY will all the money out of this if there IS some money made out of this, and suddenly they don't give half a shit about the other millions of PSN users.

We're in a society run by greed and it sickens me.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I just changed my passwords and had a new credit card issued earlier today, and it was all free. What the hell are they talking about?

Even so, I'm not against this suit. Sony majorly messed up and they should face the consequences, law suits being one of them.

But wait, this also just happened:
http://www.latimes.com/business/sc-dc-0428-court-class-action-web-20110427,0,1239412.story

so uh... can Sony just tell them to get lost?

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
Prof.Beany said:
*Checks calendar.* Are.... Are you from the past or something? It's been that way for a long, long long long long long long long long long long long time. Like, pre-Romans long time.
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot information had to be recent to be relevant.
People cant just have regular conversations without attempting to be smug anymore can they?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Can anyone in America go for just ten minutes of their lives without trying to sue somebody? Is there some kind of plague that causes a stroke if you don't sue somebody every few moments?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Sicamat said:
VanQQisH said:
Can anyone in America go for just ten minutes of their lives without trying to sue somebody? Is there some kind of plague that causes a stroke if you don't sue somebody every few moments?
Nah, it's just that millions of users got their credit card info compromised and most of you are worried that you can't play online.
It takes 5 minutes to call your bank and request your card as stolen and to get a new one sent to you. People are just greedy and lazy. I opted out of this BS lawsuit because I don't want my name filed as a plaintiff against a company that has given me thousands of hours of joy and entertainment. Who cares if you can't play online on PSN for a week or two? Seriously, if you are capable of complaining about it on the internet, then you are capable of playing online on your PC. People are disgusting, a temporary compromise is all it takes to enrage them and send them on a nasty spree of suing others.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
All they have to do is show that they took every reasonable measure to protect their customers and couldn't have predicted this and the suit will fizzle. Anti-hacking is not an end, its an ever moving goal that become increasingly hard to hit over time.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
VGC USpartan VS said:
I sure hope once Sony dies from this that I can finally play Ratchet & Clank on my Xbox 360... seriously, Ratchet & Clank + Uncharted are the only reasons why I even play my PS3!
hows the recent ratchet and clank any good?

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Prof.Beany said:
Prof.Beany said:
*Checks calendar.* Are.... Are you from the past or something? It's been that way for a long, long long long long long long long long long long long time. Like, pre-Romans long time.
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot information had to be recent to be relevant.
People cant just have regular conversations without attempting to be smug anymore can they?
A statement with no response except to agree is not a conversation. It's a statement. Nor did you really post anything beyond self-proclamation, so it hardly qualifies as information. BUT no. Smugness runs rampant.

Greed, by the way put pants on you that aren't made of burlap, greed allows you to post online. Greed is the only reason we don't live in thatched roof cottages. THATED ROOF COTTAGES! AND THE DRAGON COMES IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!
*sigh* I hate doing this, but CORRECTION TIME!
I wasn't implying I was making a conversation in my first post but merely commenting on the state of the forum as a whole (which youre helping reinforce quite rampantly).

Greed has nothing to do with my pants, my jeans were born out of necessity for a durable pair of pants during the gold rush Ill have you know, and I'm quite fond of my "waist trousers" if I do say so myself.
And the internet was born out of Military necessity, not profitability, surely you know that?
And I heavily doubt people made roofs out of wood in order to make a profit, once again, not having a roof that collapses in the rain is a bit of a necessity as well.

Now STOP MAKING ME DO THIS, ARGHJNOIUNOINGUHU.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Xzi said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Am I the only one that's a little pissed that somehow I'm included in all this?

Look, I don't give a shit about lawsuits or any of the other speculative bullshit I've been reading for the past few days right now. I just want to know if I need to change my credit card or not, who did it, and when is this all gonna be fixed!
It's entirely up to you. Personally, I would just cancel whatever cards that you had information stored on PSN with. It's a lot less hassle than nervously checking your account activity every day.
I'm leaning towards that, honestly that's the last thing I want to do right now, but it looks like I have no choice.
Honestly, my advice to you, if you had a credit card stored on PSN, is to cancel that card now and get a new one. Don't play wait-and-see with something like this. Close the door on any possibility of trouble before trouble has a chance to start. CYA is the watch word in a situation like this.

ADDENDUM: Oh, also, if you don't have some kind of identity theft/fraud monitoring service setup to watch your credit profile, I strongly advise getting one setup.

StormwaveUK

Feb 1, 2011
For people who are worried about losing their password, that will almost certainly be a non-issue. It is highly unlikely that Sony have an unencrypted version of your password anywhere near their databases. I've worked with security systems in the past, and I don't believe for one second that Sony will have messed up one of the easiest password protection procedures. It basically works like this, you create a password. Said password is encrypted via one way encryption, e.g. MD5, then sent to Sony and stored in a database. When you log in, your password is encrypted locally and sent to PSN where your submitted, encrypted, password is compared to the previously encrypted password. The unencrypted password never leaves your PS3. I can't guarantee tha this is how Sony works PSN, but it's very likely.

The credit card info is another matter, I've not seen anything to claim that the details were unencrypted as some people seem to be claiming.

The only people who will benefit from this lawsuit are the lawyers. Are you really so bothered about $10 that you want to see a major entertainment company, and it's staff, take a huge hit? The lawyers will take a considerably larger amount than $10, thus the beauty of class action lawsuits. Taking on 75 million non-expressed cases as one major job = huge profits.