Sony implements new policy censoring Japanese games for possible fanservice content

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
The joke is that she confuses being revealing for being grown up. The whole notion of "adult charm", basically thinking that behaving in a "sexy" (in her silly ideas) way is her being "grown up" when it in fact isn't that at all. It's funny cause she fundamentally misunderstands what it means to be grown up but pretends to be all grown up, having a dislike for people who treat her as a kid, despite acting very much like one.

The thing that "excuses" (as though it needs excusing) the idealized form is it being anime art and everyone having more or less larger than life idealized bodies in general as a rule unless them being ugly or somehow imperfect is a big character trait of them. (like for example the really fat girl from persona 4 who had a huge mountain of curry during the field trip and wouldn't share with anyone)

And again, I don't think this sort of cynical criticism comes from a place of earnest desire for improving the genre, as illustrated by my initial point here about how quickly the other shoe falls when someone is forced to quit his company of 13 years, being faced with remarks celebrating his departure.
And yet despite this there's nothing really comical about her pose, no over the top nature, and she seems to be pulling it off rather naturally. So you'll forgive me if I take this as seriously as someone claiming that Barbed Wire is about female empowerment.

And we needed a larger than life over-idealized body of a pre-teen in a bikini shot in a way where we get to see nearly everything. For the "joke" I assume.

My criticism is cynical. Yup. I'm a fairly cynical person. What's your point? Oh, I guess I need to reign in all of my criticisms to enable the job security of every developer ever...no that's not gonna happen. Look, I've talked to you for a long time and you really strike me as someone who really doesn't like people being critical about video games. It's not going anywhere. If it smells like shit, I'm going to call it shit. Because, here's the thing. I'd love it if JRPGs, a medium I deeply enjoy, backed the hell off from sexualizing underage children. Suikoden V was easily one of my favorite JRPGs. And I'm kindly wondering why the everloving shit you could spy on the ladies in the hot springs. When half of them are related to you and one of them is your underage sister. I'd enjoy it more if I didn't have to deal with that crap.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
erttheking said:
Dreiko said:
The joke is that she confuses being revealing for being grown up. The whole notion of "adult charm", basically thinking that behaving in a "sexy" (in her silly ideas) way is her being "grown up" when it in fact isn't that at all. It's funny cause she fundamentally misunderstands what it means to be grown up but pretends to be all grown up, having a dislike for people who treat her as a kid, despite acting very much like one.

The thing that "excuses" (as though it needs excusing) the idealized form is it being anime art and everyone having more or less larger than life idealized bodies in general as a rule unless them being ugly or somehow imperfect is a big character trait of them. (like for example the really fat girl from persona 4 who had a huge mountain of curry during the field trip and wouldn't share with anyone)

And again, I don't think this sort of cynical criticism comes from a place of earnest desire for improving the genre, as illustrated by my initial point here about how quickly the other shoe falls when someone is forced to quit his company of 13 years, being faced with remarks celebrating his departure.
And yet despite this there's nothing really comical about her pose, no over the top nature, and she seems to be pulling it off rather naturally. So you'll forgive me if I take this as seriously as someone claiming that Barbed Wire is about female empowerment.

And we needed a larger than life over-idealized body of a pre-teen in a bikini shot in a way where we get to see nearly everything. For the "joke" I assume.

My criticism is cynical. Yup. I'm a fairly cynical person. What's your point? Oh, I guess I need to reign in all of my criticisms to enable the job security of every developer ever...no that's not gonna happen. Look, I've talked to you for a long time and you really strike me as someone who really doesn't like people being critical about video games. It's not going anywhere. If it smells like shit, I'm going to call it shit. Because, here's the thing. I'd love it if JRPGs, a medium I deeply enjoy, backed the hell off from sexualizing underage children. Suikoden V was easily one of my favorite JRPGs. And I'm kindly wondering why the everloving shit you could spy on the ladies in the hot springs. When half of them are related to you and one of them is your underage sister. I'd enjoy it more if I didn't have to deal with that crap.
Japan has a lot of single children households so there's a large amount of fiction with incest as either a joke or not as much of a joke as one would like due to that. There's the trope of the idealized adoring little sister that a lot of guys with no siblings drool all over. Hell, there's even this one VA (Hanazawa Kana) who specializes in those little sister roles. Suffice it to say, it's a big thing, not as big as tsundere but not far behind.

The little sister in suikoden 5 had a legit crush on the protag, she was definitely on the heavier spectrum, but when even persona has Nanako you know you can't escape that. As for the peeping, it's a default gag throughout the ages to the point where games or shows make a big deal out of not peeping in some series. In suikoden's case the hero was also "underage" though so it makes sense in his context. I do find it silly to mind such comedic stuff though, not gonna lie.

Ultimately, criticism is fine but cynical criticism that doesn't seem to care about supporting games at being the best versions of themselves that their creators want them to be but rather focuses on them being suited to the speaker's tastes imo is actively harmful to them and I will reject it. My approach is to try to understand as fully as possible what someone is trying to do and work within those confines to offer criticism congruent with the displayed intention of a work. Not ignore that and just come up with stuff I'd like personally. I find that both selfish and again harmful to games. Basically, I don't want to ever remove anything, I just want to make that into the best specimen of itself it can be through my criticism.

It's like with food, if I'm cooking a burger I'm gonna make the best burger I can and not try to make a burger for people who are allergic to bread and are vegan. Those people will by default not like the burger anyways so their dislike is unremarkable. Not noteworthy in the slightest. My approach is, if you've decided you're gonna have an underage peeping scene for whatever reason, let's make it into a good one. One that whatever segment of the consumers that's into it can enjoy, and those who dislike it can go on and have their view of your game be diminished due to this scene. That's my approach to all elements and I decide if I like a game based on the totality of those various elements combined. There's no right or wrong here. Some people just like their bananas green and others like them yellow and spotty.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
You?ve got Io?s personality so wrong I?m suffering from second handed embarrassment. Io?s under no delusions about being more revealing is more adult. She tries to emulate Katalina?s honorableness and Rosetta?s refinement. Her summer outfit story is how her magic skill is progressing to the point that she doesn?t need to use her staff to cast magic, and she didn?t realize it. She was fighting using a regular giant sunflower Sierokarte gave her to complement her swim suit. That?s the whole story.

It?s got literally nothing to do with ?acting grownup? and is literally just pin up art of an 11 year old added years after the fact. Her normal summer art is much cuter:

I will go to the mat over Granblue Fantasy. Don?t try to bs character motivations.
Dreiko said:
Nobody?s celebrating the voluntary departure of the self described oppai man. I was just making a joke about the horny guy going to work for a horny company.

He could?ve always just had his sexy coming of age ninja story with characters who could legally drive a car and be shown without censor spotlights on their nipples.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
...Being romantically interested in your sister is a "joke" in Japan. *Looks at modern anime.* Suuuuuuure it is.

Yes, peeping is a default gag. It's a garbage gag that needs to fuck off, because it's part of the standard "lol, sexual harassment is funny," thing that's been part of anime for decades. It was creepy back then and it's creepy now. Because acting like a creepy stalker with your sister, your underage sister, is fucking weird and not really funny.

And I feel like we come back to something I said at the very start. I feel like this comes off as you not wanting your favorite thing to be thought about critically. I'm going to share a story with you. I write a lot of stories and I want them to be the best that they can be. I wrote a 17,000 word chapter, that was a lot of work. It got panned critically which made me had to stop and think. And you know what I did? I cut the entire thing out and rewrote it from scratch, only reusing a few paragraphs here and there that I was particularly proud of. My story is in a much better place now because of it. Here's the thing about creating art. If you don't know when to cut, when things have to be taken out to improve the whole, you're not a very good artist. So you'll forgive me if you acting like only mild criticism should be applied that doesn't actually seek change that isn't small scale is patronizing and counter-productive.

altnameJag said:
You?ve got Io?s personality so wrong I?m suffering from second handed embarrassment. Io?s under no delusions about being more revealing is more adult. She tries to emulate Katalina?s honorableness and Rosetta?s refinement. Her summer outfit story is how her magic skill is progressing to the point that she doesn?t need to use her staff to cast magic, and she didn?t realize it. She was fighting using a regular giant sunflower Sierokarte gave her to complement her swim suit. That?s the whole story.[/quote]

Oh. And it looks like you were utterly off base with everything you said earlier.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
altnameJag said:
[Nobody?s celebrating the voluntary departure of the self described oppai man. I was just making a joke about the horny guy going to work for a horny company.

He could?ve always just had his sexy coming of age ninja story with characters who could legally drive a car and be shown without censor spotlights on their nipples.
But I am though. I found his fans to be toxic and aligns a lot with the usual suspects that chased off Smithnikov into the arms of their enemies.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I don said:
That... almost makes sense, except Fate is still full of loli, and not just the short girls with big tits, but loli. The poster-child(heh) of Fate is literally a 1500+ year old in a 15 year old's body.
I like to think that I'm pretty well versed in fate, but I fear I'm drawing a blank as to who you're talking about. I could have swore the poster child of fate was King Arthur, except she's a lady. No denying they have a few too many lolis, though, at least in their spinoffs.

The thing about Fate is that it's divided between two things it wants to be, and one of the things it wants to be is genuinely compelling.

On the one hand, it wants to be this modern day greek tragedy: telling the story of desperate people summoning heroes from myth and history to fight for one chance to make the impossible a reality, only to fail due to their own humanity... This is probably best exemplified by Fate/zero, which is one of my favorite TV series of all time, like, not even just anime, TV series in general... and it has zero, uh... I'll be nice and call it 'anime squick' in its entire runtime. No sexualized lolis, no fanservice (unless you count a naked pretty boy in the last episode), no high school protagonist with a harem... it's utterly dedicated to its theme, and I love it.

Then you have the other side of Fate, exemplified by its mobile and spinoff games... which is basically just about waifus. Nothing wrong with a waifu simulator, I guess, if it weren't for the aforementioned lolis, but I can't deny that this side of Fate is significantly less appealing. At least, to a filthy gaijin like me.

So as to have my post not be entirely off topic, I guess I'll add my thoughts on this issue: Sony is within its rights here. They're the publishers. they're allowed to decide what is and isn't distributed on their platform. If the artists want to sell their work unaltered, they're welcome to publish it themselves, or find someone else.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
balladbird said:
I don said:
That... almost makes sense, except Fate is still full of loli, and not just the short girls with big tits, but loli. The poster-child(heh) of Fate is literally a 1500+ year old in a 15 year old's body.
I like to think that I'm pretty well versed in fate, but I fear I'm drawing a blank as to who you're talking about. I could have swore the poster child of fate was King Arthur, except she's a lady. No denying they have a few too many lolis, though, at least in their spinoffs.

The thing about Fate is that it's divided between two things it wants to be, and one of the things it wants to be is genuinely compelling.

On the one hand, it wants to be this modern day greek tragedy: telling the story of desperate people summoning heroes from myth and history to fight for one chance to make the impossible a reality, only to fail due to their own humanity... This is probably best exemplified by Fate/zero, which is one of my favorite TV series of all time, like, not even just anime, TV series in general... and it has zero, uh... I'll be nice and call it 'anime squick' in its entire runtime. No sexualized lolis, no fanservice (unless you count a naked pretty boy in the last episode), no high school protagonist with a harem... it's utterly dedicated to its theme, and I love it.

Then you have the other side of Fate, exemplified by its mobile and spinoff games... which is basically just about waifus. Nothing wrong with a waifu simulator, I guess, if it weren't for the aforementioned lolis, but I can't deny that this side of Fate is significantly less appealing. At least, to a filthy gaijin like me.

So as to have my post not be entirely off topic, I guess I'll add my thoughts on this issue: Sony is within its rights here. They're the publishers. they're allowed to decide what is and isn't distributed on their platform. If the artists want to sell their work unaltered, they're welcome to publish it themselves, or find someone else.
Arturia pulled out Excalibur when she was 15 and due to that act ceased aging so while mentally she's like mid to late 30s physically she is indeed 15. That's why she tricked everyone into thinking she was a man, they all thought she was a prettyboy due to not fully growing out. Look up her Lancer version to see how her grown form compares to the original one.

Also FGO has a legit good story worth playing. The best out of any mobile game easily. It's the only phone thing I bother playing cause of that story and how it ties a lot of plots together.

(also Fate Zero has that scene that canonizes the worm rape of Sakura by her grandfather when she was still a little girl which even realta nua had somewhat shied away from and was only really explored in the r18 original pc game)

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
Arturia pulled out Excalibur when she was 15 and due to that act ceased aging so while mentally she's like mid to late 30s physically she is indeed 15. That's why she tricked everyone into thinking she was a man, they all thought she was a prettyboy due to not fully growing out. Look up her Lancer version to see how her grown form compares to the original one.
ah, alright. admittedly, I haven't played stay/night since I was in college. Still, she doesn't look 15 at all, I don't think anyone who saw her would guess she was younger than her 20s. Normally the "she's really 5000 years old" excuse falls apart because the entity in question both looks and acts prepubescent. She looks and acts like an adult woman, so she's almost an inversion of the excuse, like, if you were to point at an adult and say "She's really only a kid!"

Also FGO has a legit good story worth playing. The best out of any mobile game easily. It's the only phone thing I bother playing cause of that story and how it ties a lot of plots together.
Ain't gotta tell me. I play it. Doesn't change the fact that anyone who doesn't like fanservice, especially loli fanservice, would have a lot to complain about. I love the Fate franchise, warts and all, but I really wouldn't cry if they spontaneously decided to, y'know... maybe not have a little girl who goes into battle brandishing a knife while wearing nothing but a shirt and panties. Just because I'm willing to look past something squicky and enjoy the depth beyond it doesn't mean I blame anyone who doesn't/can't. That shit's creepy

also Fate Zero has that scene that canonizes the worm rape of Sakura by her grandfather when she was still a little girl which even realta nua had somewhat shied away from and was only really explored in the r18 original pc game)
Yes, it has a single sentence that alludes to something terrible that happens, but that doesn't invalidate what I said. It doesn't show the event he implies, nor does it in any way try to play it like something it expects the audience to be aroused by.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
balladbird said:
ah, alright. admittedly, I haven't played stay/night since I was in college. Still, she doesn't look 15 at all, I don't think anyone who saw her would guess she was younger than her 20s. Normally the "she's really 5000 years old" excuse falls apart because the entity in question both looks and acts prepubescent. She looks and acts like an adult woman, so she's almost an inversion of the excuse, like, if you were to point at an adult and say "She's really only a kid!"

And yet you will have people (including in this topic) who will complain about that setting too because they "chose" to have her frozen at 15 and not 18 or what have you.

Also, most "over 5000 years old" chars aren't really gonna be acting like kids. They tend to act like old people most of the time. The only time they are more immature is if they're some form of an item that gained sentience, like a sword spirit or something. Outside of that kinda setting even if they look like kids they act like adults just like Saber does.

Ain't gotta tell me. I play it. Doesn't change the fact that anyone who doesn't like fanservice, especially loli fanservice, would have a lot to complain about. I love the Fate franchise, warts and all, but I really wouldn't cry if they spontaneously decided to, y'know... maybe not have a little girl who goes into battle brandishing a knife while wearing nothing but a shirt and panties. Just because I'm willing to look past something squicky and enjoy the depth beyond it doesn't mean I blame anyone who doesn't/can't. That shit's creepy
Haha that's good, I'm used to reflexively defending it cause it's a phone game but it's like one of the few legit worthwhile ones. And Jack is kinda Apocrypha's fault more than fgo's, I kinda wish they had her in that white dress she wore in this one part of the anime, that one looked much better.

Yes, it has a single sentence that alludes to something terrible that happens, but that doesn't invalidate what I said. It doesn't show the event he implies, nor does it in any way try to play it like something it expects the audience to be aroused by.
Ehh, I'd hardly call any of those scenes arousing. Even the most...saliva-intense prisma illiya moments were just funny to me lol. I don't think they seriously are trying to make the audience aroused with any of them. Kinda like all the Yaoi-implications with Shirou.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
Wow, I keep thinking Fate can't get any dumber and yet it somehow does. I am so glad I decided not to get into it. I was spared both this the utter trainwreck that was Mordred's conception.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
undeadsuitor said:
Is it me or is the whole "she magically stopped aging at 15 but she's mentally 30" just a fantasy version of the scumbag "I know I'm a 30 year old dating a 16 year old but she's mature for her age!" Routine
It is in my book. I'm sure Fate would try and wiggle out of it, but let's remember this is the same series that made Abigal Williams a sympathetic figure. As opposed to the monster she actually was. And Jack the Ripper a sympathetic figure. Who was also a loli.

I don't know why people being under 18 is such a boner producer for some people. I'm perfectly fine with a 22(?) year old myself.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
erttheking said:
undeadsuitor said:
Is it me or is the whole "she magically stopped aging at 15 but she's mentally 30" just a fantasy version of the scumbag "I know I'm a 30 year old dating a 16 year old but she's mature for her age!" Routine
It is in my book. I'm sure Fate would try and wiggle out of it, but let's remember this is the same series that made Abigal Williams a sympathetic figure. As opposed to the monster she actually was. And Jack the Ripper a sympathetic figure. Who was also a loli.

I don't know why people being under 18 is such a boner producer for some people. I'm perfectly fine with a 22(?) year old myself.
Abby is not really that sympathetic since she's just kinda insane due to being possessed by Yog-Sothoth, I guess you can call her sympathetic when she's not mad but that'd not be the first in the franchise. Nero is extremely sympathetic too as is Elizabeth Bathory. They're also great chars in their own rights, meanwhile Edward Teach is basically a negative otaku stereotype and James Moriarty is kinda like the boss of team rocket lol. They never try to stick to historical accuracy.
erttheking said:
Dreiko said:
Wow, I keep thinking Fate can't get any dumber and yet it somehow does. I am so glad I decided not to get into it. I was spared both this the utter trainwreck that was Mordred's conception.
I'm sure you'd enjoy Shirou being against saber fighting for half the story cause she's a woman and women shouldn't fight cause they're too precious. Maybe reconsider? :p

undeadsuitor said:
They have her aged up form when she becomes a Lancer and her personality is pretty much identical though, so it's more of a case of the 16 year old literally being as mature as she's purported to be. At this point it's the matter of whether you like D cups or B cups lol.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
I really hope you weren't trying to change my mind on how stupid Fate was, because if you were it backfired horribly. Yes, I'm well aware they don't stick to historical accuracy. It just kind of ruins the premise when they take varied characters from history and mythology and think that the best thing to do with them is to turn them into anime archtypes. And sometimes they bring things that I am shocked actually ever existed outside of hentai. Again. Mordred's conception.

Don't worry, I have a friend who informed me how much of a little shit Shirou is. She also informed me that his brain seems to be permanently out to lunch too.

Well at least we're confirming that Fate stopped being about characters a long time ago and is more interested in being a waifu simulator. (Also I prefer b-cups...on full-grown women)

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
erttheking said:
Dreiko said:
I really hope you weren't trying to change my mind on how stupid Fate was, because if you were it backfired horribly. Yes, I'm well aware they don't stick to historical accuracy. It just kind of ruins the premise when they take varied characters from history and mythology and think that the best thing to do with them is to turn them into anime archtypes. And sometimes they bring things that I am shocked actually ever existed outside of hentai. Again. Mordred's conception.

Don't worry, I have a friend who informed me how much of a little shit Shirou is. She also informed me that his brain seems to be permanently out to lunch too.

Well at least we're confirming that Fate stopped being about characters a long time ago and is more interested in being a waifu simulator.
Oh, FGO is definitely that. It has made 3 billion dollars in the last 4-5 years being that too. It's a really good waifu simulator (or really bad I guess pertaining to your angle XD).

The overall fate franchise is not really like that though, like the recently released fate/extella link. That one's a great action game. It's just that FGO is so big that it overshadows the other stuff. You can watch Prisma Illiya promise under the snow for some pretty great storytelling and basically no waifus.

But anyhow, fate is in its essence turning known figures into anime characters, some more stereotypical than others. That's literally all it does. That and 80 hour visual novels where half of the time is spent discussing things over meals. Lots of meals!

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
erttheking said:
Dreiko said:
I... I want so badly to say you're wrong but I just can't.

The tolerance for anime nonsense you need in order to enjoy a Fate series seems to increase with every incarnation. I admit, my love of the franchise is somewhat analogous to the sunken cost fallacy. Like, I watched the one genuinely good Fate series a decade ago, and I keep consuming each new one that comes along, hoping it'll be like that one, even though I know it won't... and after a while I watched so many that when a new one comes out, I'm, like "well, I've seen everything else up until now, it'd be silly to stop now."

I can enjoy the series for what it is, thanks to the callouses on your soul you have to develop in order to be an anime fan these days, but there are only a couple specific stories in the franchise I can recommend to someone who isn't a fellow weeb without dousing that recommendation in asterisks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
erttheking said:
Dreiko said:

Well at least we're confirming that Fate stopped being about characters a long time ago and is more interested in being a waifu simulator. (Also I prefer b-cups...on full-grown women)
I could never get into the Fate/Stay in general. The only time I could get any interests was when someone was doing a crossover story in a fanfic. There's one with Sonic the Hedgehog I do enjoy.

Nov 9, 2015
balladbird said:
I know Saber isn't a loli, otherwise the definition of lolicon would be being heterosexual. She definitely looks like a adult, and the only thing that strikes you odd is how short she is when standing next to Shirou or Tohsaka. She looks like she's 4 ft something.

It's just that it made for an amusing quip, and 15 is the new 9 now apparently.

On the one hand, it wants to be this modern day greek tragedy: telling the story of desperate people summoning heroes from myth and history to fight for one chance to make the impossible a reality, only to fail due to their own humanity... This is probably best exemplified by Fate/zero
I don't understand why people like Fate, or Tsukihime. Fate/Zero was the strongest, but it became extremely unenjoyable towards the end. The moral of the story was "Don't be a hero, saving people is hypocritical because you have to kill more people to save people", which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard and patently untrue. The only Type Moon thing I enjoyed was Carnival Phantasm.

Still I do have to give credit for Type Moon inspiring the Ryushiki07 and the When They Cry series, which not to bring up the rivalry, I consider superior.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
With kotaku finally covering the article the fools at Niche finally gave me a Smithnikov type epihany that almost everyone who opposes Sony are toxic people in general

Still of all the people who argue against the kind of filth Niche promotes I was he only one who didnt resorted to the underaged character argument. Just believing these games are mediocre shit that gave Japanese games a bad name

https://nichegamer.com/2019/04/16/sony-now-internally-regulates-sexual-content-in-video-games/

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I don said:
I don't understand why people like Fate, or Tsukihime. Fate/Zero was the strongest, but it became extremely unenjoyable towards the end. The moral of the story was "Don't be a hero, saving people is hypocritical because you have to kill more people to save people", which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard and patently untrue. The only Type Moon thing I enjoyed was Carnival Phantasm.
I won't deny that the ending of Zero is pretty horribly bleak, but I never interpreted it's message to be quite that nihilistic. The holy grail war ending poorly was a foregone conclusion due to Zero's role as a prequel, but on the whole, I felt like it was more about the surviving parties learning and growing from their failure than anything. I reckon you could interpret the end of Kiritsugu's story that way- it seems like what TVtropes would call a "shaggy dog story"- but even then, I feel like it's not quite as dismal as all that.

Kiritsugu was designed to be like the lead of a Greek tragedy, per Urobuchi,which meant he was always going to ultimately be undone by his own flaws, and the story kinda pointed it out early. He basically admits from episode one that his wish for the grail is impossible, in that, he can't think of any way it could work, but figured "hey, it's a holy grail, right? Surely it can work it out"

When he encounters the grail, and finds that not only can it not work it out, it has no desire to, he realizes that all the sacrifices he made to claim it were for nothing, and since "the ends justify the means" was his entire raison d'etre, having that end collapse on him meant the weight of his actions became too much to bear, and he was filled with remorse and self loathing.

I think the message I took away from the whole thing was probably closer to "Don't put your faith in a power you don't understand to fix a problem you cannot", coupled with "even when you reach the peak of despair, and feel like you've lost everything, you can still find something to live for"... which is about as hopeful as a story about that particular series of events could get.

Still I do have to give credit for Type Moon inspiring the Ryushiki07 and the When They Cry series, which not to bring up the rivalry, I consider superior.
At the very least, I can agree the world is a better place or having that series in it, yeah!