Sony implements new policy censoring Japanese games for possible fanservice content

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
MrCalavera said:
Chimpzy said:
altnameJag said:
"patting someone's head"
Wait, am I reading that right? There's really a button to 'rapidly grope'? Ok then ... that's subtle.

For the record, I think that's really funny, really stupid and really creepy, all at once.
I think "mickey mouse gloves" are really selling it to me.

CoCage said:
The "anime was a mistake..." thing I hate and is generally taken out of context from Miyazaki words. Here and now, it's been a catch all phrase for people who have a strong distaste for certain shows or genres in the medium, or are blinded by nostalgia and think all anime from the Wild West era (80s, 90s, and some of the early 2000s) perfect with next to no flaws. It's bullshit and is use nothing more than to put others down for liking or disliking shows. People tend to forget that everything wasn't perfect back then, and the medium and business side of things had enormous amounts of problems, and still do till this day.
TBF... As someone who didn't really experience anime in the 90s(not on a "conscious" level atleast), it did look better in general than stuff nowadays. Something's been lost in switching to digital, for the most part, and they yet have to recover it.
While there is truth to that, and I prefer the old-style; there were many of anime in the 90s where the animation was sub-par/mediocre, story or characters not that great, and baaaddddd voice acting. The voice acting for most anime did not start getting good until 1995/96, and even then, bad dubbing didn't full phase out until about 2009-2010. At this point in my life, I know what anime, new or old, interests me, but I won't be blinded by petty nostalgia, because X amount of people don't know about the old shows I watch. Nor am I going to hate on what's popular just to seem non-conformist (which is another form of conformity), cool, or "edgy".

Yes, the problem with modern anime is homogenization and appealing to Japanese otaku (look who's running the asylum), but there is diamond in the wades of shit. Which is not that much different from old era. The only difference is we know better (the old guard) or those that claim to. Whenever someone is new to anime, I don't tell them what to watch, but guide them, and let them figure out what works for them.

Nov 9, 2015
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Seriously, 1 in 5 people being actively murdered over 40,000+ years would lead to massive systemic problems in a world without antibiotics and antiseptics. Warfare is tragic and often lead to the wholesale slaughter of people anywhere in the globe, but 1 in 5 people everywhere in a given population over a period of generations, much less 40,000 years, would be unsustainable rates of human attrition.
My mistake, I didn't know what I was thinking, that's not per year. It's 1/5 of the Murngin dying violent deaths, and it's not from archeological digs. Upon googling, the Murngin (20 years late 19th century) had a rate of violent death of 330 per 100,000, and the Tiwi (1893-1903) had a rate of violent death of 160 per 100,000. However I have no idea who the Murngin or Tiwi were or what they were doing during that time.

Here is a nifty graph showing the rates of global death in conflicts. The one for only Greater Europe is very similar. Also, this includes all deaths, not just violent deaths. The wars of religion seems damning, but the extreme majority of the deaths in the Thirty Years War were civilian, and not from atrocities but from disease and starvation. Civilians ran off from approaching armies and left farms unworked, and for some reason the Swedes had a propensity of burning every village and town they came across.

Thank you for the long and informative post, but I am not convinced. Tribes don't fight battles frequently, but rely on ambushes and raids, which are extremely deadly and decisive. There are relatively peaceful aboriginal tribes, not that I know anything about them, and then there are those honorable and warlike headhunter and cannibal tribes.

[QUOTE=CaitSeith][QUOTE=I don][QUOTE=CaitSeith][QUOTE=I don]
Most people are potential murderers and rapists, and the only thing holding them back from acting on their perverse fantasies is the state. [/QUOTE]
Err... remember the state is made of people too. Or are you saying the state is free of murderers and rapists?[/quote]
Most people includes people in the state. The state doesn't solve all violence, but it solves a large amount of it. States with high centralization are better than city states, feudal states, and warlord states, where some rich people are constantly conquering and chevauch?e-ing each other with their private armies.[/quote]
How? State is just a bunch of people deciding what it's best for the rest. What does stop [b]them[/b] from deciding to act on their perverse fantasies?[/quote]
By stopping their vassals from fighting each other and to use them to your benefit. Kings, emperors, caliphs, and sultans are really perverse megalomaniacs, but you don't want a hundred lesser lords trying to kill each other and steal each other's women.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
MrCalavera said:
TBF... As someone who didn't really experience anime in the 90s(not on a "conscious" level atleast), it did look better in general than stuff nowadays. Something's been lost in switching to digital, for the most part, and they yet have to recover it.

Back in the day we just didn't get the vast majority of shows while now we get all of them thanks to the internet. If you only released the same percentage nowadays as you did back in the 80s and 90s it'd mean you'd only release the best stuff so it'd feel as though anime got actually better cause there's a ton more good stuff coming out that just gets buried behind a few juggernauts like boku no hero academia and shingeki no kyoujin.

I personally grew up with 80s and 90s stuff and my fav art style is prolly the late 80s stuff (think the Macross Ai oboete imasu ka movie style) but it ultimately is all subjective opinion and there's no way of declaring one style "better" than another. Ultimately, if you have talented people drawing it'll always look amazing, like the new Trigger film which reunites the gurren lagann and kill la kill teams to create this concentrated dose of hype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxUaUU4Heg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreiko said:
MrCalavera said:

Back in the day we just didn't get the vast majority of shows while now we get all of them thanks to the internet. If you only released the same percentage nowadays as you did back in the 80s and 90s it'd mean you'd only release the best stuff so it'd feel as though anime got actually better cause there's a ton more good stuff coming out that just gets buried behind a few juggernauts like boku no hero academia and shingeki no kyoujin.

I personally grew up with 80s and 90s stuff and my fav art style is prolly the late 80s stuff (think the Macross Ai oboete imasu ka movie style) but it ultimately is all subjective opinion and there's no way of declaring one style "better" than another. Ultimately, if you have talented people drawing it'll always look amazing, like the new Trigger film which reunites the gurren lagann and kill la kill teams to create this concentrated dose of hype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxUaUU4Heg
A new anime from trigger? Sign me up! That is what I am talking about! Thanks for proving my point, Dreiko. I will definitely keep a lookout.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Dreiko said:
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Dreiko said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
Please do not touch underage girlsCHILDREN, digital or otherwise. Thank you.
A fair edit.

I'd take offense with the "or otherwise" part here personally. Think how it sounds when we say it about for example murder in games. The implication would be that people who like killing in videogames would need to be warned to not kill people in real life as though they'd not know not to do so already.

I'm pretty sure people can tell games from reality and that well adjusted people can enjoy doing things in games they'd never do in reality, even if those things are not just killing people or stealing cars.
It's a fair point you make, on principle I have to agree.
In this case though my honest advise is to not do it in video games, for your own mental health sake and integrity (I acknowledge that you harm perfectly no entity beside potentially yourself while playing games and so if you are an adult it's your business what you do I am not going to judge you). On the other hand if you would try to do that in reality... well description of what I wish to such person is likely to get me banned.
Yeah see, again, if you also try to murder someone in reality that is also befitting of such a description.

If you say "don't kill in games cause that desensitizes you to murder and makes you more likely to feel ok about murdering someone in real life" you'd sound like a mid-90s religious nut trying to ban perfectly harmless videogames.

I think people seem to think that whoever can have fun with such a game is someone who is secretly wishing to enact it in real life but those same people recognize that people who enjoy games in which you kill people are not secret psychos fantasizing about enacting murder in real life who are getting their murder-fix in games but are just normal people having normal fun, which is a mental disconnect that I can't avoid being annoyed by with regards to this topic.

You can't hold both positions at the same time, and since the question about games causing violence is pretty much settled, I'd extend it to all other forms of lawbreaking enacted in gaming too.

Ultimately, what is really happening here is some people (not talking about you specifically but a general climate) are uncomfortable that other people are enjoying something that they find offensive on some level and can't mind their own business but have to bother them, which causes friction for no reason.
Umm I'll bold few parts for you that I ask you to read again.

Now, are you trying to argue against me admitting you are right?
Or, against my personal advise/opinion on the particular subject?

You know, someone advising against consuming media != someone arguing for restricting creation of such media, i.e. by law. I frequently advice my wife to stop watching tv shows with 'celebrities' put in 'ordinary or extraordinary circumstances'... (following strict, 'natural&funny' script for dumb audience to gawk and gossip about on social media afterwards), for exact same reasons I gave in case of themes in games that were mentioned here.
Doesn't mean I would be for banning creation of these or condemning people that enjoy it. Just result of consuming it is either zero or negative on personal level. Thus my opinion, thus my advise.

Cheers.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Dreiko said:
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Dreiko said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
Please do not touch underage girlsCHILDREN, digital or otherwise. Thank you.
A fair edit.

I'd take offense with the "or otherwise" part here personally. Think how it sounds when we say it about for example murder in games. The implication would be that people who like killing in videogames would need to be warned to not kill people in real life as though they'd not know not to do so already.

I'm pretty sure people can tell games from reality and that well adjusted people can enjoy doing things in games they'd never do in reality, even if those things are not just killing people or stealing cars.
It's a fair point you make, on principle I have to agree.
In this case though my honest advise is to not do it in video games, for your own mental health sake and integrity (I acknowledge that you harm perfectly no entity beside potentially yourself while playing games and so if you are an adult it's your business what you do I am not going to judge you). On the other hand if you would try to do that in reality... well description of what I wish to such person is likely to get me banned.
Yeah see, again, if you also try to murder someone in reality that is also befitting of such a description.

If you say "don't kill in games cause that desensitizes you to murder and makes you more likely to feel ok about murdering someone in real life" you'd sound like a mid-90s religious nut trying to ban perfectly harmless videogames.

I think people seem to think that whoever can have fun with such a game is someone who is secretly wishing to enact it in real life but those same people recognize that people who enjoy games in which you kill people are not secret psychos fantasizing about enacting murder in real life who are getting their murder-fix in games but are just normal people having normal fun, which is a mental disconnect that I can't avoid being annoyed by with regards to this topic.

You can't hold both positions at the same time, and since the question about games causing violence is pretty much settled, I'd extend it to all other forms of lawbreaking enacted in gaming too.

Ultimately, what is really happening here is some people (not talking about you specifically but a general climate) are uncomfortable that other people are enjoying something that they find offensive on some level and can't mind their own business but have to bother them, which causes friction for no reason.
Umm I'll bold few parts for you that I ask you to read again.

Now, are you trying to argue against me admitting you are right?
Or, against my personal advise/opinion on the particular subject?

You know, someone advising against consuming media != someone arguing for restricting creation of such media, i.e. by law. I frequently advice my wife to stop watching tv shows with 'celebrities' put in 'ordinary or extraordinary circumstances'... (following strict, 'natural&funny' script for dumb audience to gawk and gossip about on social media afterwards), for exact same reasons I gave in case of themes in games that were mentioned here.
Doesn't mean I would be for banning creation of these or condemning people that enjoy it. Just result of consuming it is either zero or negative on personal level. Thus my opinion, thus my advise.

Cheers.
I was fundamentally arguing against the basis for your advice by explaining how if you were to ascribe a similar line of thought in media that contains violence and reach the mirrored conclusion of violent media causing people's mental health to deteriorate, you'd sound an awful lot like some people we've long concluded were actually wrong, despite it being their opinion.

In a topic about features removed, saying "these features are bad for you by the way" does come off as at the very least tacit support of their removal, so while you can technically draw a line between saying that something should be advised against vs something should be banned, that line is blurred to the point of invisibility when the subject in question something that would hypothetically cause the sexual abuse of minors in real life were you to be correct. It's quite more severe than just watching a dumb reality show and while people may be willing to look past such a show's supposed ill effects like how they do with alcohol consumption or smoking by chalking it up to personal freedoms, they would definitely not do so in this case here, necessitating my response in refutation of the basis of your advice.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Dreiko,
I can not argue with Your feelings and far reaching interpretation of my words.
My stance is clearly laid out. I stood by it, ie. being against 'sanitizing' FE for west markets.
That's all.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
And just gets better and better for you AltNameJag and Amyss

https://nichegamer.com/2018/10/27/new-sony-censorship-policy-is-forcing-even-japanese-developers-to-censor-themselves-in-japan/

BEHOLD....THE SALT!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's pretty salty alright.

Maybe a timeskip so that all of the characters you want to fondle aren't still in high school is in order?

Seriously, it'd be easier for me to buy a "Censorship is bad" argument if we start talking about groping characters that are old enough to drive.

(Never mind that games getting localized to Japan can expect to have violence toned down, scenes where you manipulate dead bodies removed, and generally being touchy around nukes. It's a two way street)

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
gyrobot said:

https://nichegamer.com/2018/10/27/new-sony-censorship-policy-is-forcing-even-japanese-developers-to-censor-themselves-in-japan/

BEHOLD....THE SALT!

I saw that but the actually funny piece here is that the Switch version is LESS censored than the ps4 version of this game. I saw this comparison image where the pc game had the sides of the areola showing when this girl was bathing whereas the switch version had the usual steam covering them but the ps4 version had this inexplicable light just obliterating everything outside of her head (you couldn't even see her body's outline) that looked taken straight out of that hyperimension neptunia anime episode where they visit the R18 island lmao.

Oh and the kicker is that the Vita version is ALSO only as censored as the Switch version is (steam but no light). Only the ps4 version is super-censored. Isn't that just the weirdest thing ever when regarding a "sony policy"? Or did nintendo buy the vita too all of a sudden XD.

But yeah, ultimately, my original post here still stands. The USA Steam has completely unpixelated genitals showing in their games which is superior to even Japanese pc games so that's where every such game will shift. It's a bizarre change though, that's for sure. I wonder if it'll last longer than Sony's old "english dub everything" policy or their "no 2d sprite games" policy which I still think were far worse ideas lol.
altnameJag said:

Maybe a timeskip so that all of the characters you want to fondle aren't still in high school is in order?

Seriously, it'd be easier for me to buy a "Censorship is bad" argument if we start talking about groping characters that are old enough to drive.

(Never mind that games getting localized to Japan can expect to have violence toned down, scenes where you manipulate dead bodies removed, and generally being touchy around nukes. It's a two way street)
Specifically about Senran Kagura, the girls are not in highschool in the localization's canon, they're just in an unspecific "academy" and have no ages to speak of (they literally removed that stat from their bios entirely). Also, fictional characters are fictional and have no actual age. You can say this little kid is 300 years old or you can say this grown woman is 14 (look at Yoko from Gurren Lagann part 1, yes, she's 14 during that saga) so over-focusing on those fictional ages is silly and tweaking them around won't achieve much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
gyrobot said:

BEHOLD....THE SALT!
I said this before on another site forum, and I'll say it again: Did Sony's ball drop off? I'm all for being inclusive, but this is ridiculous! The Senran Kagura situation is one thing, but the rest is a no no. What happened to that company with "edge"? You're becoming 80s/90s Nintendo. I wonder if this is their overreaction to the "Me Too" movement.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
The sounds of screeching weebs as they furiously hump their crusty pillows in anger is like music to my ears, screech some more weebs, screech more! Screech more of your potential loss of borderline child pornography, screech and squeal more, little piggies!

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
CoCage said:
gyrobot said:

BEHOLD....THE SALT!
I said this before on another site forum, and I'll say it again: Did Sony's ball drop off? I'm all for being inclusive, but this is ridiculous! The Senran Kagura situation is one thing, but the rest is a no no. What happened to that company with "edge"? You're becoming 80s/90s Nintendo. I wonder if this is their overreaction to the "Me Too" movement.
It is pretty much it. Given the piss poor reputation of Vita's library and being a dumping ground for VNs and panty quests like Criminal Girls and Omega Labrinyth.

You also got a rising market that wants mature cinematic experiences and quite frankly Senran Kagura and most Japanese Games on the Vita dont fit that description

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
gyrobot said:
CoCage said:
gyrobot said:

BEHOLD....THE SALT!
It is pretty much it. Given the piss poor reputation of Vita's library and being a dumping ground for VNs and panty quests like Criminal Girls and Omega Labrinyth.

You also got a rising market that wants mature cinematic experiences and quite frankly Senran Kagura and most Japanese Games on the Vita dont fit that description
Indeed. I also found this video with more news: https://youtu.be/Dktk52dOpvA

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
gyrobot said:
CoCage said:
gyrobot said:

BEHOLD....THE SALT!

You clearly have never played Omega Labyrinth as that is if anything a bra quest and not a panty quest. Though admittedly the series has never been released in the states so I can't fault you for that. Suffice it to say the whole game is about finding a magic grail that makes the heroine's boobs bigger and experience points increase your breast size while in the dungeon and so on.

Though these games were never being made for the west to begin with and have similarly small budgets to reflect that so there's no issue regarding what western audiences want in gaming here. Sony is just trying weird new things, I see this like their PSP-Go of content policies. They'll soon revert to normalcy I'm sure haha.

bluegate said:
The sounds of screeching weebs as they furiously hump their crusty pillows in anger is like music to my ears, screech some more weebs, screech more! Screech more of your potential loss of borderline child pornography, screech and squeal more, little piggies!

Yeah I don't get people who'd be upset at this. They may not have been following these things for long enough. This is one of those weird sony things that expire once they seem as ineffective as they always are. You also can just play those games on steam and they shouldn't be too hard to run on even mediocre PCs.

In a separate topic, I am always depressed when I think of Suikoden and wish there was another one only to remember that Konami made that series. Now that's something to be upset about...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gyrobot said:

BEHOLD....THE SALT!
My blood pressure is going to suffer from all this salt.

I'm not surprised, but disappointed, every time this stuff comes up in gaming. The number of people who get pissed off that they can't grope or gawek at children in video games is quite disheartening. Gamers frequently lament their negative reputation, but when someone looks on websites and see crap like TOP TEN REASONS THE FACT THAT I CAN'T GROOM CHILDREN TO BE MUH WAIFU IS KILLING THE GAMES INDUSTRY it's not hard to see where the sentiment comes from.

It's often framed as a "censorship" issue, but that falls apart when they cover up a dude and suddenly, crickets from the freeze peach crowd.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
altnamejag said:

Specifically about Senran Kagura, the girls are not in highschool in the localization's canon, they're just in an unspecific "academy" and have no ages to speak of (they literally removed that stat from their bios entirely). Also, fictional characters are fictional and have no actual age. You can say this little kid is 300 years old or you can say this grown woman is 14 (look at Yoko from Gurren Lagann part 1, yes, she's 14 during that saga) so over-focusing on those fictional ages is silly and tweaking them around won't achieve much.
Removing the stat block during localization doesn't change a characters age, the 300 year old loli is an obvious dodge, and the fact that Yoko is sexualized is...not a defense? Dunno why you're even bring that up, considering it's part of the problem.

Seriously, how is "multinational corporation gets antsy around sexualized minors" such an odd concept? People say "but what about Mass Effect/Witcher/God of War" and whatever, but what western game has a kid with her tits out?

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Something Amyss said:
gyrobot said:

BEHOLD....THE SALT!
My blood pressure is going to suffer from all this salt.

I'm not surprised, but disappointed, every time this stuff comes up in gaming. The number of people who get pissed off that they can't grope or gawek at children in video games is quite disheartening. Gamers frequently lament their negative reputation, but when someone looks on websites and see crap like TOP TEN REASONS THE FACT THAT I CAN'T GROOM CHILDREN TO BE MUH WAIFU IS KILLING THE GAMES INDUSTRY it's not hard to see where the sentiment comes from.

It's often framed as a "censorship" issue, but that falls apart when they cover up a dude and suddenly, crickets from the freeze peach crowd.
I wont even give them dishonor of being potential pedophiles. Being a pervert creep alone in a time when hollywood is cleaning house is proof that they are trying to desperately cling on to their fanservice crap when it is time for them to grow up.

Hell I wouldnt bat an eye if they were honest with their intentions instead of the mental gymnastics they perform to justify their sexual urges.