Sony Launches World's Fastest Personal Internet in Japan

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Product Placement said:
You do realize that this was in the context of me talking about 2 GIGABITS per bloody second here. That's two thousand times faster then 1mbps.

I, myself, am running a 50 mbps connection and my Steam updates my game library plenty fast. I still don't see the point of an average user needing something that's 40 times faster.
How average are we talking here? I immediately think of torrents.
And yet... that's still not 2000Mbps. What, are you gonna run 40 movies simultaneously?
For a seemless experience, you'd pretty much need that kind of speed for either "changing channels", so to speak, or just a pure HD signal with proper bitrate, or even future standards, such as 1440p and 4k, or even 8k if you really want to push it.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
razrdedg said:
Probably need just a little more googling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber

1GB in the US is our best and handily beats pretty much everyone but Japan of course. Granted we need to wait a while for it to cover the US but that is the plan as I understand it.

Congrats Japan :)
Does it technically count though, still being in a testing type stage and limited to such a specific area?

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I can see that being usefull if you want to watch a live stream of a 4k resolution video although I believe a 50Mbps should be good enough for that.
That also reminds me, can the HDs of today even read/write at that speed? Maybe an SSD but I don't know the numbers so that could also be another potential bottleneck.

I'm pretty happy with my 20Mbps although some games can take a couple hours to download and ain't nobody got time for that nowadays!

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
You're asking me to give you examples of how fast my internet is?

Using torrents is actually a pretty poor method of checking how fast your internet is. It's highly dependent on the availability of whatever it is that you're downloading and the upload rate of the peers that you're connected to. But if you must use that as a benchmark, then I guess the fastest I've ever clocked a torrent file was somewhere around 20-30 mbps. That's under optimal conditions.

Direct downloads, from a local server, usually nets me 40-50mbps while downloading something from a foreign server can range anywhere between 20-40mbps.

Speed is not everything, of course. You usually only get to experience your internet connection's fullest potential when connecting to servers that are relatively close by or you have very good access too. The further away the server that I want to connect to is, the more latency I have to deal with and the more servers I have to daisy chain through to connect to it. In such a situations, my internet speed is utterly dependent on the slowest server in the link. If I were to try to ping a server in Sidney, Australia, for example, I'd be lucky to get 10mbps.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Octorok said:
MEANWHILE, IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

[http://www.speedtest.net]

~300kb a second. That's actually pretty good for here (Scotland). What you can't see is that the connection drops 2-3 times a day. Always at the end of long downloads and during online games.

[sup]Seriously, every goddamn time[/sup]

Same ISP, why is your connection so bad? I've had drops but they're a rarity. Few times a month maybe.

OT: too much bandwidth leaves me clueless on what I can do with it. A bit like if I had 50GBs of RAM.

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
Octorok said:

~300kb a second. That's actually pretty good for here (Scotland). What you can't see is that the connection drops 2-3 times a day. Always at the end of long downloads and during online games.

Pretty much the same over here in Canada - I'm currently in the Capital finishing my 3rd year of study - though there is one day that still haunts my nightmares whenever I think of internet connection up here...

*shivers* that was a bad, near-rage inducing day, that was...

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
mad825 said:
Octorok said:

Same ISP, why is your connection so bad? I've had drops but they're a rarity. Few times a month maybe.

OT: too much bandwidth leaves me clueless on what I can do with it. A bit like if I had 50GBs of RAM.
Because it's not the ISP which governs speeds a lot of the time, it's the local infrastructure.

My connection (UK, a random out of the way suburb north of Birmingham where the trains only run to it once an hour) is a solid 40mps/10mbps/9-12ms ping (to London or Birmingham) connection for example, because we have BT infinity around here. I'm fairly sure we could get a much faster connection too if we didn't have it bundled with sky (but since it's cheaper there's little reason not to).

However, just down the road, where someone is using a simple ADSL connection instead of fibre (which they could get if they wanted) has an abysmal connection, since the ADSL connection for their particular exchange is horrible.

Potato Dragon

Sep 3, 2011
mad825 said:
Octorok said:

Come to Milton Keynes I pay £30 a month for this :D also BT are ok

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Product Placement said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
You're asking me to give you examples of how fast my internet is?
Not quite, but since you offered, that'd be perfect. :D
Using torrents is actually a pretty poor method of checking how fast your internet is. It's highly dependent on the availability of whatever it is that you're downloading and the upload rate of the peers that you're connected to. But if you must use that as a benchmark, then I guess the fastest I've ever clocked a torrent file was somewhere around 20-30 mbps. That's under optimal conditions.
I generally meant something like being the initial seeder and torrents that are seeded to hell and back. And, personally, I've maxed out my old connection at it's best of a full 44mbps down, and when seeding, 32 up.
Direct downloads, from a local server, usually nets me 40-50mbps while downloading something from a foreign server can range anywhere between 20-40mbps.
Sounds about right from most servers, barring the "PAY HERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS FAST INSTEAD OF SLOW AS A DEAD SNAIL!!!" type download services.
Speed is not everything, of course. You usually only get to experience your internet connection's fullest potential when connecting to servers that are relatively close by or you have very good access too. The further away the server that I want to connect to is, the more latency I have to deal with and the more servers I have to daisy chain through to connect to it. In such a situations, my internet speed is utterly dependent on the slowest server in the link. If I were to try to ping a server in Sidney, Australia, for example, I'd be lucky to get 10mbps.
Can't really argue with that.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008

I am envious. Rarely if ever do I actually get down speeds close to what I speedtest.
Talking to my uncle who lives in the states, he was getting so frustrated with the internet when he came to visit.

Then again, I have family in East Anglian villages, they can't get more than 2Mb/s down on a good day. And there's no ISP that offers them unlimited data.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
*Meanwhile in Australia*

... Japan.
Please help us!
PLZZZZZZZZ

But in all seriousness it would of been nice to got aid from Japan to make our internet awesome.
Because well ... ours suck.
Like really, really, REEEEEEEEEALLY sucks.

So yeah Australia ... it would be nice if you got on the ball. :/

Though I do understand if we can't, we do have a lot of stuff going on.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
T3hSource said:
Swedes are not impressed, I can tell you that for a fact.
I don't know how Westerners tolerate >50 Mbps connections.
Cuz we don't have a choice... [quietly sobs]

Seriously though, Microsoft thinks Always-online is a good idea with internet connections like ours :p

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009

Sometimes I love living right next to the local exchange.

Note this is a FTTC connection so its not the best available.

Also this was done on my wireless desktop too, not too shabby.

Zombie_Moogle said:
T3hSource said:
Swedes are not impressed, I can tell you that for a fact.
I don't know how Westerners tolerate >50 Mbps connections.
Cuz we don't have a choice... [quietly sobs]

Seriously though, Microsoft thinks Always-online is a good idea with internet connections like ours :p
I really don't get how it has gotten so bad in the US where there are basically only two or three ISPs in a given area.

I connect to an exchange outside Edinburgh and even THAT exchange has about five ISPs available not including cable which we don't get around here. This area was built before consumer cable was a thing. :(

Octorok

May 28, 2009
mad825 said:
I live in the Scottish countryside, where the internet runs on old phone lines, stretched out miles upon miles from the exchange. It's not really my ISP's fault, since they can't exactly put down fibreoptic out here.