Sony Launches World's Fastest Personal Internet in Japan

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
Isn't this just a similar thing to Google Fibre? According to the BBC "Currently the search giant has limited its roll-out to Kansas City, where residents can get up to one gigabit per second speeds for $70 (£44) per month.", but now they are rolling it out to Austin, Texas as well. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22078754

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
CalPal said:
Pretty much the same over here in Canada - I'm currently in the Capital finishing my 3rd year of study - though there is one day that still haunts my nightmares whenever I think of internet connection up here...

*shivers* that was a bad, near-rage inducing day, that was...
Wow, Bell sucks.

Where I live, Shaw is my only choice for internet (I live just far enough outside Lethbridge that DSL from Telus or Bell is not viable.

I have to say that the connection I do have should be much faster for the over $50 I pay.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Meanwhile in the UK...

30 kb/sec internet in rural east yorkshire. Fuck you all and fuck the lack of infrastructure.

Sep 14, 2009
Boris Goodenough said:
Product Placement said:
But damn... how High Definition do you need the stuff to be?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_definition_television HIGH!

which is around 50Mbps
T3hSource said:
Swedes are not impressed, I can tell you that for a fact.
I don't know how Westerners tolerate >50 Mbps connections.
I can live with >50Mbps, living with <50 is hard :p
haha i'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed this, nice response :D

i'm used to it sucking ass for the most part, although the plan is essentially unlimited so i don't have to worry about what i download like alot of people do :D

with that kind of speed though...i'd just start downloading. EVERYTHING.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
I shouldn't have clicked this topic, I didn't need to be more depressed today...

[sub][sub]Why does the speedo go that high? Rub it in more, why don't you?[/sub][/sub]

It's no wonder Microsoft thinks always online consoles are a good idea if this is the information they're basing it on.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
[http://www.speedtest.net]

This is why I can't purchase the newer Xbox if they decide that it will be always-on. The speed I posted is the "in the city speed", and my connection at home is even worse. I would gladly pay for better at home, but no ISPs will run anything to my area.

EDIT: I tested again on a different server, slightly better result.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Antitonic said:
I shouldn't have clicked this topic, I didn't need to be more depressed today...

[sub][sub]Why does the speedo go that high? Rub it in more, why don't you?[/sub][/sub]

It's no wonder Microsoft thinks always online consoles are a good idea if this is the information they're basing it on.
Dear Lord. I mean no offense, but what are you using? Telegraph cables? I'm really not trying to mock you, I'm more curious as to how it is possible to have an internet connection at all and have it run like that. I mean, your ping is fine. I'm baffled as to what is happening to your poor connection...

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
And I'm barely getting 1MB/s here in Australia.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Octorok said:
Dear Lord. I mean no offense, but what are you using? Telegraph cables? I'm really not trying to mock you, I'm more curious as to how it is possible to have an internet connection at all and have it run like that. I mean, your ping is fine. I'm baffled as to what is happening to your poor connection...
So... you're saying this is a bad connection?

We're on a "Legacy" plan. Telstra (the ISP/phone company) doesn't even technically provide this setup any more. But, my mum was the one to set it up, and she struggles figuring out a phone. No idea what's happening. I've tried to sort it, but it's bundled with other stuff. Basically, drama.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Let me blow you people out of the water.

I know at the ISP I work for, we are working on DOCSIS high speeds that match Fiber. Unfortunately it won't be added to the infrastructure for another decade.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Haha. I'd love to see our (Australia's) right-wing government try to convince Japan to settle for FTTN instead. "25mbps! And, let's be honest, that's all people are ever going to need, isn't it?"

They'd be laughed out of the country.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah I've been living with a theoretical 8mbps connection for about 8 years and the best I ever get is 1mbps down on Steam.
I'm paying loads for that connection as it's unfortunately the best I can get in my area.

Throughout this thread you can read just how many people have either super slow or spotty(or both!) internet connections and yet here we are in the middle of companies wanting to go 'always online'.

Apr 28, 2008

All you lucky bastards with your greater than 1mbs connection speeds...