Sony Lifts One to Michael in Awesome PS3 Ad

Ravenseeker

Jan 11, 2009
I love this but I'm confused to why they would release it. Is it for the price drop or just to salute the players? Either way still awesome.

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
No one else caught Agent 47?
either way, that ad game me chills.
....even if I don't own a ps3...
I still own a ps2 though...

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I'd have liked to have seen John or Jack Marston (just finished my second complete playthrough of Red Dead Redemption the other night)... but I can see where it'd be tough to come up with dialogue, what with how the story comes to a close and all.

But I must have watched 3/4 of the ad more than a half dozen times... and even my mother-in-law was getting the references, just from her own couch-spectating. "Hey, that's that movie game guy (Drake). And the one from inFamous... And I recognize him, too (Snake). Cool, Sackboy. Oh, and that Italian assassin one (Ezio)."

And she perked up when I went back and pointed out Chell. Heheheh.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
You know I would find this to be awesome... If Sony didnt do what they do.

So yes having a commercial that "celebrates the player" seems like a good idea until you start stepping on the players rights, removing reasons why the player bought the product and rubbing salt into the wounds when such opportunities arrise.

So something that could be awesome, quickly gets turned into offensive pandering as a long shot hope and prayer that this little bandaid could possibly fix the amputated arm that is their current public image.

So yes, I would find this to be awesome... If Sony didnt do what they do. But if Sony didnt do what they do I dont guess they would really need to make these "smooth things over" type gestures.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You gotta admit that when Sony gets it right with an ad, they really get it right. I always love a Kevin Butler ad, but this was just epic.

Oh, you gotta love Nathan Drake hitting on Lightning. Lucky bastard. But how did all these characters manage to sit in one room without a massive bar fight breaking out? Obviously that's part of why they give up their weapons, but there are plenty of people that could do some damage without a weapon. Like Cole, Kratos, and Snake.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Now we will all wait for the inevitable Xbox 360 and PC reply-video. On topic, that was amazing. More ads need to be like this.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
That is an awesome commercial. It was cool how so many memorable characters were talking about their stories as if they were trying to one-up one another. I was outright cracking up by the time Snake blended into the background as if things were too awkward for him to stay in the conversation. Very clever advertisement.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
AbstractStream said:
I was laughing when I saw Lightning and Solid Snake. Really awesome ad.
Sony should make more like this.
Who is lightning?

And also, who was the barman?

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Great ad IMO. Makes me feel all warm inside. Also gives me an interesting view on all the times I play games. Man, they got a good idea when they thought of this ad.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Random berk said:
A Lancer among the weapons at the door,
UYnless you're talking about the missile launcher from Valkyria Chronicles, thats really missing the point.
artanis_neravar said:
Kapol said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Michael was juwst being added to the wall that contained many pistures of other gamers.
Random berk said:
I spotted Drake, Isaac Clarke, Snake, Agent 47, Chell, Sackboy, Ghost, Ezio, a little sister, well, as many characters as a gamer should be expected to recognise, even though I haven't played half the games shown. There are some characters I'd like to have seen. A Lancer among the weapons at the door, Garrus reminiscing about himself and 'Michael' holding off waves of mercs on Omega, Jack Marston drowning his sorrows at the bar, etc.

Were those Helghast at the back, with the glowing eyes?
Lancer is from Gears which is Xbox exclusive
I know it is, but would that make it any less great to see it there? I have a 360, not a PS3, so I kind of wish that it had been a multiplatform advert.

OutrageousEmu said:
Random berk said:
A Lancer among the weapons at the door,
UYnless you're talking about the missile launcher from Valkyria Chronicles, thats really missing the point.
What do you mean?

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
When snake started talking i was hoping he was argueing someone from fallout who said "war never changes". XD

Great advert.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Did i just see the most epic gaming commercial ever????

p.P: ALl the characters were great and had awesome costumes...but Cratos was CGI?? really?? You guys couldnt find a bodybuilder or a UFC fighter or maybe a football player to do the part? Im dissapointed....

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
that was... beautiful.

Also Is it ironic that I planned on buying a ps3 tommorrow?