Sony "Looking At" Charging for PSN

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I wouldn't like it; for now PS3, is having lots of users due to free PSN partly, that is because Xbox360 makes you charge for Live and you need additional tech, so if they add a price, it's just as to belittle as Microsoft...

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Disaster Button said:
"They're breathing down Microsoft's necks and they can see Sony in the rear view mirror."

I know what he's trying to say but it really doesn't make sense if you think about it.
That's exactly what I thought as well.

Also, I doubt they will surpass the xbox, although I'm no expert.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
........ if only they added that damn thing here in México, i am surprised i am not allowed to buy anything from the store and i cant log in into home because of my area

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Hubilub said:
Sony Sony Sony... Stop saying things that will put people off. If you want to charge for PSN, then do so, but don't say "We are thinking about it". Not a good thing when free multiplayer is one of your selling points.
My thoughts exactly.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
PlayStation Network boss Peter Dille [http://www.us.playstation.com/corporate/about/management/peterdille.html] says Sony is "looking at" charging for access to the PlayStation Network and that it won't be long before PS3 sales surpass that of the Xbox 360.
So, one of it's big selling points, it's free online, is being taken out. Yet, they think it'll pass the 360 in sales right afterwards?

Someone show me which tree this guy is barking up, because it sure as hell isn't mine.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
And here I thought Sony was providing a brilliant example to Microsoft. I'm one of those people who believe having to pay for XBox Live Gold to play online is a load of bullshit.

It's just my opinion, but things look set to get darker on the console territory, so to speak.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Orcus_35 said:
I wouldn't like it; for now PS3, is having lots of users due to free PSN partly, that is because Xbox360 makes you charge for Live and you need additional tech, so if they add a price, it's just as to belittle as Microsoft...
What additional tech? I didn't have to get anything I didn't already have to use Xbox Live, perhaps you are mistaken in thinking that if you're not connecting wirelessly you're doing it wrong.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
Meh, I don't pay for xbox live, so I most likely won't pay for PSN either. If I'm playing it online, I am playing it on my PC.

OT: That guy in the pic looks like a creepier version of the nutjob from Fringe...

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
TimeLord said:
I have heard that the PSN will be free but you can pay for extras. Like a PSN+ of sorts

However I don't mind paying for PSN if the service rivals XBL
Unlikely, Sony does not run the multiplayer servers of third party games.

Chunklin

Dec 16, 2009
The only way they could charge for PSN is if they lower the console price drastically.

And if they do charge, I'm not gonna pay for it, I already paid for my PS3 and a game, don't charge me extra for the privelige of putting it in my console. (MMORPGs, I'm looking at you too....)

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
If they keep the free online, then I've got no quarrels with this sentiment.

If not, charge tiny amounts or money or boost your service, since I'm not going to pay only so that I can play online.
I'll convert to PC instead.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.162736-Possible-Details-of-PSN-Premium-Membership-Leaked#4184457

What the hell ever happened to this idea? If they make it manditory I will be a little pissed, but having a choice I can live with that and I know I will get it as well.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Sony...I may be on the PC side, but Ive always had a soft spot for you. When I saw that the PS3 had the most powerful hardware, I thought it was gutsy. It seemed to be the serious gamers only hope for something to compete with Microsoft, and Ive always loved the ambition, even when it fell short. If online was suddenly something you had to pay for, I'm pretty sure you would undo all the ground you gained. Please don't do this, everyone I know with both consoles always get the PS3 version because of the Hardware and the free online. Don't throw away one of your biggest selling points.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
PSN will stay free, but there will be a Premium service you can pay for. Premium themes and what not that you have to pay for now will be free if you get the premium service. I also heard you will get free access to the PS1 classics.
If you don't upgrade to the premium, PSN won't change much for you.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
I find it's incredibly stupid for PSN to compete with Microsoft in online services. I mean, Microsoft is a company that was practically found on online services. Windows made internet far more simpler to get on, hence they made the internet.

I think Sony should remain free. It's there main and only advantage over Xbox live. I mean, it's best to diversify and try and find other ways to attract people, instead of doing the same thing as another corporation.

I for example own a PS3, and if they're charging then I my swell just get an Xbox.

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
if ps3 charges for online, the fanbase will go right down the crapper. getting rid of one of the best-selling points is a terrible idea.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
TimeLord said:
It doesn't sound like what they are saying in this article, however what I have heard is that: PSN will be free for what you get now but you can pay a service fee for getting early demos and Betas etc
Paying for demos? Like, what people get for free now on Live and the Internet?

That sounds like a rather bad idea.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Such indescribable bullshit of ingratitude. If the PS3 sales have gone up, why the fuck charge for PSN?

Fuck you, Sony!