Sony "Looking At" Charging for PSN

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
I'm never going to pay for online. A huge reason I bought a PS3 was that the online was good, yet free. I think a few people on here can relate to me when I say that this would be a big mistake.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
chewbacca1010 said:
TimeLord said:
It doesn't sound like what they are saying in this article, however what I have heard is that: PSN will be free for what you get now but you can pay a service fee for getting early demos and Betas etc
Paying for demos? Like, what people get for free now on Live and the Internet?

That sounds like a rather bad idea.
No, my OP said "early" demos, before unpaying customers

xxnightlawxx

Nov 6, 2008
Well my look on this is if they start doing a PSN+ type thing I'm not going to get that the PSN that is on right now works perfect for me I have never had a problem I was excited to learn that PS3 had free internet. One of the major selling points for me. If they start charging for a PSN+ I will not pay and if they start making al of PSN cost money I won't play.I will enjoy, as Fat Princess says, playing with myself.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
teh first thing that came to midn after seeing that main pic was, "fuck off"

But I don't care really. I don't go use PSn so...

JonahNYC

Mar 13, 2008
Well, if Microsoft goes with the Xbox 720 while you continue with the PS3, of course at some point you'll sell more.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I'm not sure about what to make of this. Is it only Home and multiplayer that would be charged? If so, I don't care. I'd never use either in any case. I have my PC for multiplayer gaming. The only only stuff I use on the PS3 is buying the odd game on the shop and getting a level for LBP but if they want to charge me to buy stuff I'll just stop shopping. I don't pay to enter a regular shop as well. As for LBP well, I suppose I could live without the user content but it would be silly.

As long as charging for PSN don't stop me from shopping and getting games and the system updated I couldn't care less. I'd never pay to use it.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Free PSN was what made me buy the PS3. If they start charging I'd rather go over to Xbox, and I will. It is in their best interests not to charge.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
TimeLord said:
chewbacca1010 said:
TimeLord said:
It doesn't sound like what they are saying in this article, however what I have heard is that: PSN will be free for what you get now but you can pay a service fee for getting early demos and Betas etc

So what is the difference then? Paying for less polish?

I'm sure some game keeners would be excited for that, but for everyone else, it still seems like a raw deal.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
if they charge for playing online, there goes incentive to buy multi-platform for it.
their loss

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Great!! I just recently get my hands on a ps3, and the only selling point of the system for me is being taken away...

Honestly, before I knew that the PSN was free... I honestly wished that either PS and Microsoft would just offer a cheeseburger with their console so I knew which one to buy...

Sure it's an attempt to try to make more money, but think about it... You're going to be losing money in the long run...

era81

Jun 11, 2009
Peter Dille is a creepy looking som'***** ain't he. This is not a very good idea by the way.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
chewbacca1010 said:
TimeLord said:
chewbacca1010 said:
TimeLord said:

So what is the difference then? Paying for less polish?

I'm sure some game keeners would be excited for that, but for everyone else, it still seems like a raw deal.
Yes but like I also said; you can still get what you have now without paying!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
If they want to start charging for online they're going to have to finally live up to some of the promises they stamped onto the ps3. It's a great machine but the only function they have forced devs to adapt for every game are trophies which are completely worthless.

What happened to PSP connectivity and remote play for more games than Lair?
How about custom soundtracks for more than 5 games?
What happened to getting games that utilized all that space on the BRdiscs?
What about 1080p full HD games - not upscaled but native?
What about games that run at 60fps?
What about cross game chat?
What about backing up save data for every game; some games wont let you copy saves onto a flash drive? That's a basic need for games now and if trophies get in the way of it, get rid of them.

I was patient with all these things when the ps3 launched, and even years later when the slim model hit but if they're going to start charging for their lackluster online service, I'm going to put my foot down.

On top of that I don't want to have to try 5 different games in Borderlands online before I find one that wont freeze up and disconnect. I want a lot less of these errors that sign me out of psn.

If they want to charge, they need to step up their game.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Ah!!! Peter Dille's picture just feels... wrong somehow, he seems to have entirely too much forehead, to the point where I thought perhaps it was a photoshop until I followed the link to the official Sony website. Now that I know it's real, I'm even more weirded out by his visage...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees this.

On topic: Ha ha ha! It has always amused me that Microsoft gets away with charging for what would unquestionably be free on the PC lest a company start seeing their executives burned in internet effigy, so Sony doing the same thing (or seriously talking about it anyways) just makes me even more glad that I don't have to care about what they do since it doesn't actually impact me.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Maybe some one should create some sort of petition before they make up their minds? To let them know of the displeasure before it's too late?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Hah, What's that Microsoft? Yes, in face, now that you mention it, I /can/ hear those screams of rage. I wonder what's causing it?