Sony Offering 10 Free Games to New PSPgo Users

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Well that seems like a fairly interesting deal for people who buy a Go. I wonder what all the games on the list are because I doubt it will be just 10 in total. Seems like a good bargain too seeing as the amount of games you get for the system off the get go pretty much offsets the inflated price of the system so I can't see why some would really complain about this.

And yet people are still gonna ***** which is sad. Some people just aren't grateful when they are given a pretty damn good deal. Besides no one is forcing people to buy the system so why are people still acting all bitter? 10 free games of your choice out of a(hopefully big) list and you don't expect to find some you might like? Do research then.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
The problem with your list is that most of those games got ported instantly.
Sure, after the Dreamcast died.

AzrealMaximillion said:
It was the console that was innovative, not the games. (And before you say that Shenmue brought us QTEs look up Dragon's Lair)
And this may very well be true, but the main point I was trying to get across (Sorry I wasn't more clear on this) was that the Dreamcast was innovative because it was the only console that had those features. The PSPGo is not the Dreamcast because it HAS no innovation. The regular psp is just as online enabled as the GO is. There's just no reason to get the GO, it has nothing over it's predecessors, and in fact has LESS than those that came before, it can't read UMDs!

Trying to compare it to something groundbreaking like free internet features is ridiculous, PSP already has that capability, and had it well before the PSPGo came about.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jumplion said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jumplion said:
I have been meaning to get a PSP for some time now but I've been lazy and a cheap-ass for most of the part. I doubt that this will move me because, again, I'm lazy and a cheap-ass, but this is a huge incentive for me when I can/will buy one if I get it in time.

canadamus_prime said:
None of those games really interest me. Not good enough Sony, you'll have to do better.
Better? They're giving away 10 games, in total worth $500 I believe (handheld games are $50, right?), not including the actual console of course, and you want them to do even better than that? What, you want 20 free games? Keep in mind that this isn't even the whole list.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, dude. Whether or not there are games you're interested in on the list, it's still a helluvah bargain. Saying "Not impressed, do better!" just makes you seem like a pompous brat.
I would rather they offer me 2 free games that did interest me rather then 10 that don't. And that's without the fact that they're trying to convince me to buy a less useful version of a console that I already have (and barely ever play as it is). Offering me 10 free games that I'll never play is hardly enough incentive for me to do that.
I guess what I'm saying is they can offer all the free games they want, but that doesn't change the fact that the PSPgo was a bad idea to begin with.
Okay, if the games don't interest you in the slightest then that's fine. You have your own tastes in games and I have mine.

But Sony does not cater specifically to you, they have to cater to as many people as they can. Your original post of "you'll have to do better" makes you sound like a spoiled brat who isn't grateful for anything. Sony is giving away 10 free games for every PSPGo purchase, you're not in any real position to say "I want more" when they're giving you more.

The saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" started in the old times where people sold horses and such. A free "gift" horse was generally given because the horse was useless, usually with the teeth (I could be completely wrong but that's what I've been told). If someone gives you something for free, you're not going to look in the gift and complain "why doesn't it have SOCOM?". It's free, either accept the gift or say "thanks but no thanks".

Whether or not these games interest you has no bearing on the fact that 10 free games is a damn good bargain. I'm not saying anything on the success of the PSPGo, maybe it's a friggin' amazing machine or it's a pile or plastic waste, I dunno. If you'd rather have 2 good games instead of 10 that don't interest you, but those 2 games, maybe there's a bundle for them. But you do not go "do better!" when they're giving away a huge bargain for anyone who's interested in it. Clearly you aren't, so what are you doing here?
Oh so in other words I sounded like most other Escapists then? Well at least I'm fitting in.

By the way I know where that bloody saying comes from thank you very much although I hardly think it applies here since I have to buy one of their products in order to receive the "gift horse." A product that is, strictly speaking, not particularly appealing and no amount of "gift horses" are going to make it any more appealing. Removing the ability to play UMDs from the thing was the worst idea ever. It'd equate that to a DVD player manufacturer, say Panasonic, coming out with a new line of DVD player that had no DVD drive in it. "Oh yeah, you gotta download all your movies now, and your entire DVD collection is now useless."
Ok I admit that maybe I my initial post was poorly phrased, but that doesn't change my position. Ok 10 free games, yeah I guess that is quite a bargain, however since the selection I get to choose my 10 from is extremely limited, it's not enough to convince me to buy this product, which I already stated was a frickin' bad idea!
Why am I here? Because I have an opinion and this is a forum for voicing opinions.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I'm buying a PsP for Persona 3 portable but I think I'll still get a 3000, the controls look too close together.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Oh so in other words I sounded like most other Escapists then? Well at least I'm fitting in.
Hmm? I'm sorry, I don't follow you here. If you're saying that you have the right to post your opinion, sure you do, but your original post comes off more than a little trollish.

By the way I know where that bloody saying comes from thank you very much although I hardly think it applies here since I have to buy one of their products in order to receive the "gift horse." A product that is, strictly speaking, not particularly appealing and no amount of "gift horses" are going to make it any more appealing.
Sorry, just felt like splurging some of my brain juices there. But the "gift horse" here does apply here. The "gift horse" is the 10 games. You can either accept it without complaint or say "No thanks, it's not for me". You don't say "Why are it's teeth so crooked?", it's a free horse, where are you to complain? It just makes you seem spoiled.

Removing the ability to play UMDs from the thing was the worst idea ever. It'd equate that to a DVD player manufacturer, say Panasonic, coming out with a new line of DVD player that had no DVD drive in it. "Oh yeah, you gotta download all your movies now, and your entire DVD collection is now useless."
Okay, now you're just getting into an entirely different topic. I am not talking about the quality of the PSPGo or whether or not it was a good idea. I'm not talking about whether the games on that list are good games or bad.

All I'm saying is that, based on your original post, you are in no position to complain about this bargain being not what you're looking for.

Ok I admit that maybe I my initial post was poorly phrased, but that doesn't change my position. Ok 10 free games, yeah I guess that is quite a bargain, however since the selection I get to choose my 10 from is extremely limited, it's not enough to convince me to buy this product, which I already stated was a frickin' bad idea!
Again, you're dwelling off topic. I'm not talking about how good/bad of an idea the Go was. A bargain's a bargain. Whether or not it has the games you're looking for, that doesn't change that.

Why am I here? Because I have an opinion and this is a forum for voicing opinions.
Good for you, so do I. Next time, put some more substance in your opinion so nobody confuses it for trolling.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sony's 'new toy' is already dead in the water.
What you see here isn't a sales pitch; it's a defibrillator. But don't bother wasting your money, Sony is just trying to wring the last sprinkling of pennies it can out of this farce before they call for the body bag.

Hey Sony, I have proposal: Redesign your handheld from the ground up to not suck.
Fix the controls and stop fucking with your customers for once: Way to punish anyone who didn't delay on buying a PSP-GO. Oh, and thanks for removing the Windows CE option in an effort to control your customers for no other reason than spite.
I own a PSP and it's embarrassing how I rarely use it. It's agonizing for me to find a game that even sounds remotely interesting, let alone playable.

They could fix this, but chose not to.

Why? Because Sony insists that this is the only way to do it: re-release an already flawed product with iffy title support solely (comprised mostly of cheap PS2 remakes and spinoffs)all so Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on the handheld market. They are, in essence, fighting a war against Nintendo for the sake of fighting, and it's a war that Sony is losing.

Just who the hell is running their company? Do any of their people realize how awful their product is in practice, or how literally painful it is to play just about any PS2 remakes due to poor controls alone?
I want the PSP to succeed; but this is not how it's going to work. Not even close.

When Sony announced that they were designing a new PSP, I was genuinely excited about a Sony product for the first time in 9 years. Nope. Turns out, it was a "bait-and-switch" gag. Why release a new model if you aren't actually going to fix the *CRITICAL PROBLEMS* the older model had?
The only thing their "upgrade" did was to limit the market of games to Sony exclusively. No competition. But Hell, even I could dig that if there was some sort of incentive for me to buy one.

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't a sound business model?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jumplion said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hmm? I'm sorry, I don't follow you here. If you're saying that you have the right to post your opinion, sure you do, but your original post comes off more than a little trollish.

By the way I know where that bloody saying comes from thank you very much although I hardly think it applies here since I have to buy one of their products in order to receive the "gift horse." A product that is, strictly speaking, not particularly appealing and no amount of "gift horses" are going to make it any more appealing.
Sorry, just felt like splurging some of my brain juices there. But the "gift horse" here does apply here. The "gift horse" is the 10 games. You can either accept it without complaint or say "No thanks, it's not for me". You don't say "Why are it's teeth so crooked?", it's a free horse, where are you to complain? It just makes you seem spoiled.

Removing the ability to play UMDs from the thing was the worst idea ever. It'd equate that to a DVD player manufacturer, say Panasonic, coming out with a new line of DVD player that had no DVD drive in it. "Oh yeah, you gotta download all your movies now, and your entire DVD collection is now useless."
Okay, now you're just getting into an entirely different topic. I am not talking about the quality of the PSPGo or whether or not it was a good idea. I'm not talking about whether the games on that list are good games or bad.

All I'm saying is that, based on your original post, you are in no position to complain about this bargain being not what you're looking for.

Again, you're dwelling off topic. I'm not talking about how good/bad of an idea the Go was. A bargain's a bargain. Whether or not it has the games you're looking for, that doesn't change that.

Good for you, so do I. Next time, put some more substance in your opinion so nobody confuses it for trolling.
And I'm saying that this bargain doesn't make the PSPgo any more worth buying for the reasons I stated that you claimed were "off topic."

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
And I'm saying that this bargain doesn't make the PSPgo any more worth buying for the reasons I stated that you claimed were "off topic."
Okely-Dokely then. Just seemed like you were taking the opportunity to go off on a rant so you could complain. I was talking about how 10 free games is a bargain. You were talking about how the PSPGo is a horrible concept and how you wouldn't buy anything for it anyway.

I'm pretty sure those are two different topics.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MisterShine said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
The problem with your list is that most of those games got ported instantly.
Sure, after the Dreamcast died.

AzrealMaximillion said:
It was the console that was innovative, not the games. (And before you say that Shenmue brought us QTEs look up Dragon's Lair)
And this may very well be true, but the main point I was trying to get across (Sorry I wasn't more clear on this) was that the Dreamcast was innovative because it was the only console that had those features. The PSPGo is not the Dreamcast because it HAS no innovation. The regular psp is just as online enabled as the GO is. There's just no reason to get the GO, it has nothing over it's predecessors, and in fact has LESS than those that came before, it can't read UMDs!

Trying to compare it to something groundbreaking like free internet features is ridiculous, PSP already has that capability, and had it well before the PSPGo came about.
It's funny how you mention that the Dreamccast was the only console at the time with internet access. The Japanese NES had the capabilities to trade stocks and bet on horse races as well as play games. Game consoles have had the capabilities to use the internet since 1988. That and come on, you can't really say that there were many DC games that used the intermet. That and PC gaming was at an all time high. When you really think about it online on consoles really isn't that much of an innovation. And the PSP does have one major thing over it's predecessors. Being able to carry dozens of full PSP games on one device. I'm sorry but carrying around UMDs sucked ass, no matter how you slice it. And ALL UMD carrying cases sucked. That's one major thing that the PSPGo hase over the 1000-3000. True Portability.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Seeing as I have a PSP already, and most of the games mentioned... sorry Sony, still not gettin' it. Put a UMD drive on it, and then maybe I'll consider it.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
My DS lite fits in the pocket of my jeans...also it has Mario Kart. The PSP would have to do something truly spectacular to make me look at it. Now if I were to go the YARR! route then it might be interesting as a PS1 emulator because there were a ton of awesome PS1 games I either missed or wouldn't mind playing again. If somehow they were able to run PS2 games from an external 2.5 USB disk then it would be a must have.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Aby_Z said:
Son of a *****! Yea, screw over the early adopters why doncha...
they already have your money, you are worthless to them, woooooorthlesssssssssssssssssssss

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Sony do this [http://media.photobucket.com/image/PSP%20with%20a%20second%20nub/BillG400/psp_go.jpg] and then I might buy one.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jumplion said:
canadamus_prime said:
Okely-Dokely then. Just seemed like you were taking the opportunity to go off on a rant so you could complain. I was talking about how 10 free games is a bargain. You were talking about how the PSPGo is a horrible concept and how you wouldn't buy anything for it anyway.

I'm pretty sure those are two different topics.
Ordinarily I suppose they would be two different topics except that I'm saying that this bargain isn't worth it because the PSPgo was a bad idea etc etc.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
When you're giving away $500 worth of product in an attempt to get people to buy a $200 handheld, that tells you something about how people have received your handheld.

The PSP Go was a terrible idea, and I still feel unmotivated to purchase one even with such a fantastic offer dangled in front of me. A PSP 3000, on the other hand... I might want one of those, even though I'm not getting the extra games.