Sony Offering 10 Free Games to New PSPgo Users

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I already have a PSP (from the get go), so this means squat to me. Even if I didn't, knowing something new may be right around the corner, possible with a second analogue hoobajoob, I don't see why anyone would pay for one of these things right now.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
This actually sounds really, really cool. I might buy a PSP Go. My old one's thumbstick's missing which means it hurts to play anything involving it. Not to mention all of those free games.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Hmm sounds like a good deal. But why are they offering this? What has led to the Go's lackluster sales? Can anyone fill me in as to why its doing poorly? Is it worth getting with this deal?

I have a DS and love it, but it would be nice to have a handheld that plays my Mp3's too.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'm sorry but carrying around UMDs sucked ass, no matter how you slice it. And ALL UMD carrying cases sucked. That's one major thing that the PSPGo hase over the 1000-3000. True Portability.
PSP 1000-3000 use a Memory Stick Pro Duo, which up to now has a capacity of up to 32gb.

PSP GO has a built in 16gig, but can upgrade to a 32 stick.

PSP Go from Amazon.com new, 249.99

PSP 3000 (current model) 169.00
Memory Stick Pro Duo 16gig 55 dollars
Together, 215$
(or you can buy a 32gig stick for 85 dollars, making it 5 bucks more expensive and have twice the memory)

You can get the same thing for 35 bucks cheaper. Now granted, this whole "10 free games" does it make it a bit more interesting..

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Jebus that's a pretty sweet deal! That's basically every game I'd want except the MGS games. That could get me through my holiday easily enough...

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
Jumplion said:
The saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" started in the old times where people sold horses and such. A free "gift" horse was generally given because the horse was useless, usually with the teeth (I could be completely wrong but that's what I've been told). If someone gives you something for free, you're not going to look in the gift and complain "why doesn't it have SOCOM?". It's free, either accept the gift or say "thanks but no thanks".

Whether or not these games interest you has no bearing on the fact that 10 free games is a damn good bargain. I'm not saying anything on the success of the PSPGo, maybe it's a friggin' amazing machine or it's a pile or plastic waste, I dunno. If you'd rather have 2 good games instead of 10 that don't interest you, but those 2 games, maybe there's a bundle for them. But you do not go "do better!" when they're giving away a huge bargain for anyone who's interested in it. Clearly you aren't, so what are you doing here?
"...the horse was useless, generally with the teeth"? Interesting way of putting it. ;-) FYI, the teeth indicate how old the horse is. Teeth in good condition meant the horse was young. If the teeth looked old and worn, the horse was old. If the horse was useless in general, I believe it would be quite apparent even without looking in its mouth. A loose analogy would be if someone gave you a wad of cash & you counted it before bothering to say "thank-you". It's useful no matter how much is there, so don't critique it. Just say thanks. If it truly is a useless gift, then it would be a "white elephant" & not a horse.

You must be pretty cynical to "jump-lion" on Canadamus the way you did. (See what I did there? ;-) Ok, enough with the puns.) I'm cynical, yet I knew what he meant. I thought you looked far more trollish than Canadamus. As I saw it, he's just being prudent with his money in not buying into an offer with games he's not interested in, & you chew him out for not valuing the games enough. These are games with zero resale value too. Just some food for thought next time you get the urge to scold someone.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
WHOA!

Thats seriously tempting actually, any details on where/when this offer will be available?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
PSP1000-3000:
Plays UMD and Digital games
Removable battery pack
Most options are cross compatible (No PSP accessories not compatible with the Go)
Uses memorystick pro duo (common)
Larger Screen
Most packs come with 1GB which is fine for any game save and more

PSPGo:
Plays Digital Games ONLY
Battery pack is built in
Smaller screen
Uses a smaller memorystick that's not the Produo
Condensed controls
Smaller unit
Biggest problem: Not all games are available on the PSN
Can't buy games from a store/sell them at a store
Built in 16GB memory, but no UMD drive
MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PSP

I just don't get the PSPGo, why did they put it out? To appeal to people who don't have the PSP? It's still a better idea to go with the PSP unit vs the Go because of ...well the reasons above. At least that's how I feel. Sure the 10 free games sounds good but, given the choice, I'd still get the PSP just because there's more options to it.

I already had the PSP 1000, and there was a great incentive to upgrade to the 2001, faster, had a TV out. The Go is missing options and costs more. I had a good laugh in best buy, I held my PSP2000 up against the Go and the screen size is pretty damn different. Think DSlite vs DSXL for a comparison.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
When they finally release Lumines on the PS Store (read: the only game I ever play on my clunky PSP-1000), I might think about it. Actually, come to think of it, is this a world-wide deal, or just in America?

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Other then the obvious statement that this shows:

I can't help but think that all this PSPGo business just keeps telling the original PSP owners to go "eff themselves", I mean, first they get the PSPGo and Sony saying: "No more UMD support, buy your games again!" and now, even those that did buy the GO early on... well they were basically ripped off, apparently.

I have little to no interest on the console, but even so I'd might consider buying now... to take advantage of a desperate attempt at making money by buying something at a fraction of it's price (Says the man who bought Fallout 3 GOTY edition at 10? on a GAME store)

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Sounds tempting. If i had the money to buy a PSP go I would totally buy one now. But I barely have the money to buy games for my PS3 at the moment so it'll have to wait till Christmas probably.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
If this is for all of Europe (not just England), it might just be the incentive to buy a PSPGo for me.
I would like to play some of the games on it.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Why they built this thing in the first place is beyond me. Its too damn small and eliminated the only reason i wouldve bought a psp and that was the screen size.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MisterShine said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'm sorry but carrying around UMDs sucked ass, no matter how you slice it. And ALL UMD carrying cases sucked. That's one major thing that the PSPGo hase over the 1000-3000. True Portability.
PSP 1000-3000 use a Memory Stick Pro Duo, which up to now has a capacity of up to 32gb.

PSP GO has a built in 16gig, but can upgrade to a 32 stick.

PSP Go from Amazon.com new, 249.99

PSP 3000 (current model) 169.00
Memory Stick Pro Duo 16gig 55 dollars
Together, 215$
(or you can buy a 32gig stick for 85 dollars, making it 5 bucks more expensive and have twice the memory)

You can get the same thing for 35 bucks cheaper. Now granted, this whole "10 free games" does it make it a bit more interesting..
Missed the point of what I said. The PSPGo allows users to go for a car ride and not have to rummage through some crappy UMD carrying case to find a game. Half the time the case itself scratches the UMDs. Also with the ten Free games that's $500 in free games your setting. But I'm not even bringing price into this because people always ***** about the price of one new item vs. one that's been around for two years. So comparing the price points of the PSPGo and The 3000 is mute.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Missed the point of what I said. The PSPGo allows users to go for a car ride and not have to rummage through some crappy UMD carrying case to find a game. Half the time the case itself scratches the UMDs.
Right, that does suck, which is why my point was that all of the older versions of the PSP can have games on a memory stick like the Go, and they can do it for cheaper.

So, unless this 10 free games deal is world-wide and permanent, the Go is pretty much a failure, except as an even smaller psp. And seeing as how I've never heard anyone complain they're too big.. well.. we return to my original point being that the Go is not a step forward at all, merely a "prettier" and lesser version of what we already had.