Sony Offering 10 Free Games to New PSPgo Users

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MisterShine said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Missed the point of what I said. The PSPGo allows users to go for a car ride and not have to rummage through some crappy UMD carrying case to find a game. Half the time the case itself scratches the UMDs.
Right, that does suck, which is why my point was that all of the older versions of the PSP can have games on a memory stick like the Go, and they can do it for cheaper.

So, unless this 10 free games deal is world-wide and permanent, the Go is pretty much a failure, except as an even smaller psp. And seeing as how I've never heard anyone complain they're too big.. well.. we return to my original point being that the Go is not a step forward at all, merely a "prettier" and lesser version of what we already had.
You'll see future handheld console get rid of material games more and more over the years. You can deny it all you want but the PSPGo is a step forward to bringing true portability to handheld gaming. That's all it was meant to do. The only things that people bitched about for the first six months was the price and UMD transfer. It's a great portable console otherwise. I own one I should know.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
None of those games really interest me. Not good enough Sony, you'll have to do better.
I hope those wont be the only games. I would imagine there would be some sort of selection to make. If not, this wont float all that well.
If they let me replace a few of my favorite umd titles (not that many though) and get a few new ones as well, I might just upgrade. I have one of the original psps and the knob is starting to get all skewed.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
As a person who hasn't owned a PSP, that sounds like a decent deal. However, it is pretty much confirmation that the PSPgo has failed miserably.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
How about a external UMD drive for people that already own the UMD version or for games that are not on psn?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
s69-5 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
MisterShine said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'm sorry but carrying around UMDs sucked ass, no matter how you slice it. And ALL UMD carrying cases sucked. That's one major thing that the PSPGo hase over the 1000-3000. True Portability.
PSP 1000-3000 use a Memory Stick Pro Duo, which up to now has a capacity of up to 32gb.

PSP GO has a built in 16gig, but can upgrade to a 32 stick.

PSP Go from Amazon.com new, 249.99

PSP 3000 (current model) 169.00
Memory Stick Pro Duo 16gig 55 dollars
Together, 215$
(or you can buy a 32gig stick for 85 dollars, making it 5 bucks more expensive and have twice the memory)

You can get the same thing for 35 bucks cheaper. Now granted, this whole "10 free games" does it make it a bit more interesting..
Missed the point of what I said. The PSPGo allows users to go for a car ride and not have to rummage through some crappy UMD carrying case to find a game. Half the time the case itself scratches the UMDs. Also with the ten Free games that's $500 in free games your setting. But I'm not even bringing price into this because people always ***** about the price of one new item vs. one that's been around for two years. So comparing the price points of the PSPGo and The 3000 is mute.
You do realize, you can still download games to the older PSPs, right?
I just downloaded Brave Story and Guilty Gear: Judgement to my PSP 2000.

But I like the option of having UMDs.
They conserve precious MEMORY by storing the data in an external device.

Dissidia for example is over 1Gb. I'm glad I have the UMD.
Granted I only use a 4Gb memory stick...
I never likes UMDs. They're clunky to carry around. They drain the battery faster, games load faster, they're cheaper by around $5 on the network, and PSP games don't take up that much space. I have 14 full PSP games on my PSPGo. 4 of them are full length RPGs. I also have Dissidia. I still have 8 Gbs left to use and I haven't even gotten a Memory Stick yet. That's around 28-30 games the PSPGo allows you to have in your pocket instead of one at a time without a UMD carrying case. Potentially I could carry around 90 games at a time if I bought a 32 GB Memory Stick Micro2. And yeah I realize that you can download games to the older PSPs but the older PSPs don't have an internal hard drive, and memory sticks ain't cheap. It costs near $40 for a 4GB card.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Ordinarily I suppose they would be two different topics except that I'm saying that this bargain isn't worth it because the PSPgo was a bad idea etc etc.
Well...okay, whatever, I would debate more (as I just love to argue/debate) but it'll go nowhere. Bibbity-bobbity-boo, it was fun debating with you. How I came up with that rhyme I have no idea.

goldenheart323 said:
"...the horse was useless, generally with the teeth"? Interesting way of putting it. ;-) FYI, the teeth indicate how old the horse is. Teeth in good condition meant the horse was young. If the teeth looked old and worn, the horse was old. If the horse was useless in general, I believe it would be quite apparent even without looking in its mouth. A loose analogy would be if someone gave you a wad of cash & you counted it before bothering to say "thank-you". It's useful no matter how much is there, so don't critique it. Just say thanks. If it truly is a useless gift, then it would be a "white elephant" & not a horse.

You must be pretty cynical to "jump-lion" on Canadamus the way you did. (See what I did there? ;-) Ok, enough with the puns.) I'm cynical, yet I knew what he meant. I thought you looked far more trollish than Canadamus. As I saw it, he's just being prudent with his money in not buying into an offer with games he's not interested in, & you chew him out for not valuing the games enough. These are games with zero resale value too. Just some food for thought next time you get the urge to scold someone.
Eh, I wasn't really trying to be cynical, at least not consciously. People tend to take me way too seriously when I debate/argue with them. But I did feel that his original post was pretty out of line and I didn't want this to just devolve back into another "bash Sony/PSP" thread, which, when he was going off about how the PSPGo is a "horrible idea" and whatnot, this would easily come to.

I'd like to think that I was arguing with him because his original post made him seem very spoiled. Whether it has the games you want or not, you do not look at 10 free games and go "Not impressed, do better Sony!" Now, if he had said "Interesting, but I'm not interested in this" then that would have been less trollish.

But hey, as I said before, bibbity-bobbity-bo, fun talkin' with you. Guess I just felt like posting something as I haven't really been as active as I used to. BUT but I'm a stubborn ass and just love to keep talking anyway, so I'll shut up now.

[sup]and I just wrote what I could remember, it had SOMETHING to do with teeth.[/sup]

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
If it was a PSP with a UMD drive then I'd consider it. I class the PSPGo as a cancer of the gaming world, trying to force digital distribution on us.
All I say to that is fuck you Sony! I want my hard copies thanks!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
You'll see future handheld console get rid of material games more and more over the years. You can deny it all you want but the PSPGo is a step forward to bringing true portability to handheld gaming. That's all it was meant to do.
So you're telling us that the PSPGo was not a colossal sales failure and that it's digital-distribution-only model was not a major turn-off to people? Good luck with that. The sales figures alone [http://blog.ziggytek.com/2009/12/21/psp-go-sales-atrocious/] make it extremely obvious the PSPGo is incapable of taking any step forward, unless that step is off a cliff. If Digital Distribution really was the future, it would be handily be beating the DS which relies on "archaic" physical media. Furthermore, if digital distribution really was the future of any system, you wouldn't see people still clamoring to have a copy of their games in-hand, even with the success of platforms like Steam. This free game offer, while appealing to some, is just another nail in the coffin of the mistake that is the PSPGo.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
AceDiamond said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
You'll see future handheld console get rid of material games more and more over the years. You can deny it all you want but the PSPGo is a step forward to bringing true portability to handheld gaming. That's all it was meant to do.
So you're telling us that the PSPGo was not a colossal sales failure and that it's digital-distribution-only model was not a major turn-off to people? Good luck with that. The sales figures alone [http://blog.ziggytek.com/2009/12/21/psp-go-sales-atrocious/] make it extremely obvious the PSPGo is incapable of taking any step forward, unless that step is off a cliff. If Digital Distribution really was the future, it would be handily be beating the DS which relies on "archaic" physical media. Furthermore, if digital distribution really was the future of any system, you wouldn't see people still clamoring to have a copy of their games in-hand, even with the success of platforms like Steam. This free game offer, while appealing to some, is just another nail in the coffin of the mistake that is the PSPGo.
Sad thing is you keep calling the PSPGo a failure when it's a concurrent to the PSP 3000, not a successor. All it is really is a "premium" PSP 3000. That and people hated the dreamcast when it came out. As innovative as you keep calling it, it failed. Yet right after we saw consoles with similar online capabilities.So we'll see more games that don't require cartridges. Once Appple products are capable if handling games that aren't just remakes of PC classics or PSP Minis, they'll have full games available in the App store. And Nintendo will follow suit. It's not that the PSPGo is taking a step forward. It IS that first step. As was the Dreamcast for consoles with online multiplayer and DLC. As were the Power Glove and Eye Toy for motion control. And as was Ralph Baer's "Magnavox Odyssey" home console for gaming consoles in general. Notice the the of all "firsts"? They all sucked and they all were improved to sell millions more of them. Most people just don't like change or anything different. We like that status quo, which is why anything new gets shat on. Why do you think Apple is so successful? They can market the iPad as something new when it's just a big iPhone and people love it.