Sony: PlayStation Move Is For The Hardcore

JonahNYC

Mar 13, 2008
xavierxenon said:
Typhusoid said:
This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.
Extremely successful? I'm not entirely sure of your point.
The Wii sold because it cost $250 at launch.

The PS3 didn't sell because it cost $600 at launch.

GET IT?

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
I'm not sure if it's wise to use the word 'hardcore' in association with something that looks like a dildo :p

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Typhusoid said:
This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.
Like the other person said...extremely successful. Your point is?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I wouldn't sat hardcore as the term here. I'd say "more mature motion control games then we've seen". Anyone seen the picture of the Move? It has all the buttons of your standard controller, plus an extra circle and X button. This may actually work.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
As one of the people who believes that the kind of "hardcore" they're going for is right, I am happy.
Seriously, why can't sport sims be hardcore? They are. Top Spin 3 is hardcore as hell.
The problem with the Wii is that it was made for hardcore games but instead fell into the pit of cheap budget titles with no depth.
If Sony doesn't allow this, I'm bying God Of War 3 or something just to support them.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Typhusoid said:
Well, extremely successful doesn't mean extremely good, now does it? I mean, Twilight is extremely successful.
Not to start any console wars or anything so, if you have anything to object, PM please.

JonahNYC

Mar 13, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
As one of the people who believes that the kind of "hardcore" they're going for is right, I am happy.
Seriously, why can't sport sims be hardcore? They are. Top Spin 3 is hardcore as hell.
The problem with the Wii is that it was made for hardcore games but instead fell into the pit of cheap budget titles with no depth.
If Sony doesn't allow this, I'm bying God Of War 3 or something just to support them.
Sports can be hardcore: see MLB 10: The Show.

Spending $160 to be able to play Wii Sports? You have to be either rich and stupid or a total tool to waste money like that.

Are the "hardcore" begging to play Wii Sports? REALLY?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
Typhusoid said:
Well, extremely successful doesn't mean extremely good, now does it? I mean, Twilight is extremely successful.
Not to start any console wars or anything so, if you have anything to object, PM please.
Actually it does. It depends on who it targets. That's why both examples you provided are extremely successful. You may not like it. But others do.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Andraste said:
I think the error in the motion control devs' thinking is that we all want to move. We don't.
As the kids like to say, "This."

When I want to move, I'll take my ass outside and do it for real. And in spite of my etched-in-stone gamer cred, I do that sometimes. More than you probably think. But gaming? No. Altogether different.

Now, there are some instances when it's fun, like when I'm playing a group party game or something and everyone's watching and having fun and probably drinking like fish. But that, to my mind, is back in Casual-Land, and the Wii's already got that covered.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest, the problem with motion controls being "Hardcore" is that "hardcore" gamers generally want to game a lot. 12 hour power sessions and "oh wow, I forgot to sleep for work" and such are the much parodied hallmarks of a "Hardcore" gamer, whether it's an RPG fanatic, or someone engaging in huge numbers of shooter deathmatches.

The problem with a motion controller being "hardcore" among other things is that nobody is going to be able to get up and spazz out for 12 hours with a motion sensor.

Also, I tend to agree with the choice of titles. Pretty much everyone who saw the Wiimote thought of it's potential for sword fighting games and the like, and truthfully nobody has really exploited that well (most attempts have been lacking). Others have looked at the potential for interactive violence in games like "Manhunt 2" (which was never truely explored as far as it could have been) and similar things. Indeed it seems like the anti-gaming crowd freaked out about this kind of thing to the extent where game companies were afraid to really run with it, which is in part why I feel the Wii never took off beyond a casual market. Even games like "Madworld" are a pale shadow of what they could have been with that control potential.

Even getting beyond the "how do I play all day with this" aspect, I have yet to see any evidence of Sony being willing to become the company that is going to mount it's white horse and do a massive charge against international game censors and watchdog groups to "free" motion control enough to be used for "M rated"/Hardcore gaming of that variety.

I mean sure, I could see torturing "people" with a remote like that in a horror game, or using it to get into some deep knife/sword fighting action (perhaps even online multiplayer) but I am not sure if the guts exist to do it right.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
"That's great, but I do have one question: If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?"

Here is what I thought was going through there head:
Engineer 1 - "So marketing needs us to make up a game to show off this cool tech to hardcore gamers. What do we do?"
Eng 2 - "Hmm, lets make a quick and simple game that requires precision and accuracy but will not take a lot of time to develop.
Eng 1 - "Ping pong, it requires a ton of accuracy and dex, and will take all of 2 weeks to program."

Simply put, pong is simple to implement but shows off the power of the new tech (yes it's new tech because this and natal are in a league of there own when talking about those dam wiimote) and shows how accurate it is.

I'm not saying it's marketing genius or even smart, but I can see the reason for choosing it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
"If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?"

Damn good question. If only I had a damn good answer... :(

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
Typhusoid said:
Actually it does. It depends on who it targets. That's why both examples you provided are extremely successful. You may not like it. But others do.
The fact that others like it makes it successful, but it doesn't make it good.
See where I'm going?
For the guy you were quoting, the Wii is not good. For me, it's mediocre. For you, hell, I don't know.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
Typhusoid said:
See where I'm going?
For the guy you were quoting, the Wii is not good. For me, it's mediocre. For you, hell, I don't know.
I love it. Been my primary console for nearly 4 years

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
JonahNYC said:
xavierxenon said:
Typhusoid said:
Extremely successful? I'm not entirely sure of your point.
The Wii sold because it cost $250 at launch.

The PS3 didn't sell because it cost $600 at launch.

GET IT?
NO!

So now price is the only factor that determines how well something sells or not? I don't know about you, but if theres something good that I want price isn't something I'm too bothered about.
The Wii is a good console regardless of price, even if it cost the same as a PS3 I'd probably still have bought one.

People need to stop with all the "hardcore" bullshit. As long as the game is enjoyable who cares what console its on or what controls it uses. Personally I enjoy using motion controls on the Wii so hardcore or not I'm going to enjoy it on the PS3.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
Typhusoid said:
See where I'm going?
I love it. Been my primary console for nearly 4 years
Well, yeah, then I guess arguing is pretty pointless.
I do agree that he was too harsh but then again, the Wii does not fit anyone.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN. CHOO-CHOO!!!

How about instead of mimicking the Wii, you do something innovative, Sony? Instead of fighting for the same audience (despite what you say)< how about you try to EXPAND your base, hmm?

GreatVladmir

May 25, 2008
I can understand Sony's logic, they are looking at the Wii and going "Mmmmmm, I want a slice of that causual gaming market." So in there infinite wisdom (or lack therefore of) they just make a psudo rip-off of the Wii-mote, congratu-fucking-lations Sony, you just prove that you have no imagination and just suck up all the good Ideas, might aswell call your next console the Sonysoft Playbox4 because your no better than Microsoft for stealing ideas. Do they really think this will actually take a slice of the Wii's casual gaming market monoply? It's too god damn expensive! Naytal has a better chance, because more people own 360's than PS3's because they're cheap.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make do with mind controllers when they come out exclusivly for the pc, until sony make a bodged rip-off with some wierd creature as the mascot.