Sony: PlayStation Move Is For The Hardcore

Bullet Alchemist

Apr 8, 2010
Hubilub said:
I CALL UTTER BULLSHIT!

Sony, I love you, but no. Just no. I don't believe you.

Although if you make a PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus with PlayStation Move controls, I'm fucking buying it anyway.

Yup, I'm a fanboy.
Fuck I'd buy a PS3 for a motion controled version of Shadow of the Colossus. That game was brilliant.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Donnyp said:
AceDiamond said:
So Sony's entire argument is "our controller is totally different because we made it and thus simple-minded people who use labels will be drawn to it"
I guess i'm not a simple mind cause i dislike it lol.

OT: I liked the Wii cause it had middle ground. I don't like these new ones cause they are promoting Precise and accurate movements.....that means you HAVE to move. None of the middle ground.....stupid Sony and Microsoft not being able to come up with original ideas....i remember when games were sold for being original not like nowadays when they are sold for being like a game people already like. FUCK THAT! lol. Gimme something original not something another person already did and say Hey its different by a little which makes it revolutionary.
Simple-minded I guess was a harsh way of putting it, it's more that I'm firmly against the division of gamers into "hardcore" and "casual" demographics because the labels are used to demean others based on what they like as opposed to what others like.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Andy chalked it up nicely right in that final line. I look forward to Sony Hardcore Sports Resort, and Sony Hardcore Carnival Ring Toss. Sony's tried this before, it failed, and just because they're not half-assing things this time doesn't mean devs will suddenly get more creative with their ideas. All these years and most of the Wii stuff is still forgettable garbage? How will these game being on the PS3 make them better?

tottb0x

Aug 6, 2008
I'm a college student. My room is crowded when nobody is in it, I can't imagine having to get far enough away from the tv and then swinging my arms around. When I want to play video games, or my friends want to play video games, we use controllers because they don't require movement. Not requiring physical activity is one of the selling points of video games. I left my wii at home for a reason other than it sucks (and at the cost of this PROTIP: having a wii is great for picking up chicks).

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I don't see why they don't skip the motion control altogether and declare it a failure to the hardcore demographic. It won't work, it's already been proven by the Wii. Just because it's a different color and has "Sony" written on top of a hastily scratched off "Nintendo" won't make it appeal to hardcore gamers.

The only time I can see motion control working on the hardcore demographic is when we have full-fledged virtual reality. if you have a full surrounding of the game and have a reason to move about, then it will work. As it is, we're still looking at the same screen we already enjoy ourselves on. Why change what works?

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
It's always fun when Sony spouts out hyperbole that would make Peter Molyneux cringe in shame. Anyone else remember how we shouldn't be critical of the PSP since we aren't crititcal of The David?

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Brightly coloured suspiciously similar looking to a sex toy motion control system say what?

Motion controls are not for the hardcore. "Hardcore" players would just use it to beat people to death with. Hardcore gamer is such a stupid word

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
Hmm, Sony's cried wolf a little too many times. Besides wasn't the SIXAXIS suppose to do this or something like that when market it...

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Andy Chalk said:
Now, there are some instances when it's fun, like when I'm playing a group party game or something and everyone's watching and having fun and probably drinking like fish. But that, to my mind, is back in Casual-Land, and the Wii's already got that covered.
No... no, I think you're onto something here. MAYBE the better graphics on the PS3 will make it easier to see the Really Blurry Screen when we're playing games at parties and drinking like fish. Will have to ponder further.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Wow there is a lot of unnecessary cynicism here...

Look, motion controls are a good idea. it's a different kind of game experience that is worth exploring, and could have (And has had a limited number of) applications amongst more serious gamers. We already had a rough draft with the Wii, and Sony just needed to fine tune the concept. Saying that Wii, "Proved" that motion control isn't for hardcore gamers is kind of like saying that all those ludicrous flying machines that failed before the Wright brothers proved that man will never fly. Certainly I'm not saying that Move is a guarantee home run, but it has a shot, and its worth waiting to see what it actually does. For starters, it appears that Sony is at least considering their more dedicated fan base, and will therefore focus on that Demographic, which is a good first step.

Motion Control isn't what sunk Wii for the more dedicated gamers. Shovelware and Nintendo's marketing did that.

Typhusoid

Nov 20, 2008
xavierxenon said:
Typhusoid said:
This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.
Extremely successful? I'm not entirely sure of your point.
Aura Guardian said:
Typhusoid said:
This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.
Like the other person said...extremely successful. Your point is?
Successful? Yes. Suitable for hardcore games? Hell no.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
xavierxenon said:
People need to stop with all the "hardcore" bullshit. As long as the game is enjoyable who cares what console its on or what controls it uses. Personally I enjoy using motion controls on the Wii so hardcore or not I'm going to enjoy it on the PS3.
Well ... well ... they started it!!

Actually, in this particular sense, Sony did start it by claiming it was going to provide an engaging experience for the core gamer as well as the more casual. What you say is true, the hardcore v. casual wars, along with the console wars are a titch lame. But in this blurb, I think we're just saying this likely won't work. A movement-based control scheme on PS3 likely won't capture the hardcore any more than did the Wii. OK, maybe a few more may jump on the bandwagon simply because the letters S-O-N-Y are plastered on it, but calling it thus will not make it so.

Unless you're Captain Picard. And you, Sony, are no Captain Picard!

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Typhusoid said:
xavierxenon said:
Typhusoid said:
Extremely successful? I'm not entirely sure of your point.
Aura Guardian said:
Typhusoid said:
Like the other person said...extremely successful. Your point is?
Successful? Yes. Suitable for hardcore games? Hell no.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The problem is that if there's a tide of shovelware on the back of the Move's release, pretty much every cynic will say "We told you so".

Although the fact that the thing costs the wrong end of $100 should be Sony's primary concern at this moment in time.