Sony Remastering PSP Titles for PS3, Monster Hunter Up First

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Remastering PSP Titles for PS3, Monster Hunter Up First

The PS3 is getting its very first Monster Hunter title through a Sony initiative that'll revamp PSP games for the console.

Sony has announced a new series of PlayStation 3 games called the PSP Remaster lineup which doesn't need much explanation. The company is revamping titles originally developed for the PSP and bringing them to the PS3. Pretty simple.

Of course, these games won't be making the trek from handheld to console unscathed. Varying depending on title, Sony will be upgrading PSP Remaster games' visuals, adding exclusive PS3 features, 3D support, Dual Shock controller support, and allowing for save data to be shared from PSP to PS3. These titles will be sold both on Blu-ray and as downloads.

The first game to become a Remaster is a smart choice. Sony is teaming up with Capcom to transform the PSP's Monster Hunter Portable 3rd into Monster Hunter Portable HD. Portable 3rd was never released outside of Japan, but that hasn't stopped it from already selling millions of copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106264-Monster-Hunter-Portable-3rd-Becomes-Capcoms-All-Time-Fastest-Seller]. Japan loves it some Monster Hunter.

Andriasang reports that the announcement wording hints PSP Remaster games could be released worldwide, but there's currently no word on whether or not Capcom will localize Monster Hunter Portable HD for regions other than Japan. The game's trailer shows a smooth HD visual upgrade, it'll be playable online through the PS3's Ad Hoc Party mode, and not having to use the "claw" to play the game is like a godsend for any PSP Monster Hunter player, so I hope non-Japanese gamers get it eventually. The Wii's Monster Hunter Tri [http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Classic-Controller-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0036KRP3Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306092326&sr=8-3] is fun, but it's not in HD, damn it!

No other PSP Remaster titles have been announced at this time. Monster Hunter Portable HD is scheduled for release in Summer 2011.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/22/psp_remaster_series/]

Megawat22

Aug 7, 2010
So, provided everything goes to plan, we'll not only be getting Monster Hunter Portable 3rd over here, but it'll also be on the PS3 and take advantage of all the things the PS3 has to offer?
Sign me up.

chemicalfire

Nov 10, 2009
Hmm, I was just thinking of getting a PSP for the Untold legends games and Dungeon Siege. It would be sweet if they give this treatment to some of those game and others that have sold well.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I hope we get the 2 God of War games that came out on PSP, I've never had the chance to play them.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
Monster Hunter... for the PS3....

Yes.

YES!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

MY WISH HAS BEEN GRANTED!

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Heh, I posted this like an hour ago in games discussion.

Anyways, this is interesting and I'm curious to see what other games are gonna get the remastered treatment. If they did it with Dissidia 012, well....then I have no fucking excuse as to why I still don't have a PS3. It would be cool if they offered a download voucher for the PSP version of the game with the remastered version. That way people don't have to buy the game twice just to take advantage of the save transfer feature, because I really wouldn't wanna rebuy the same game for something like that.

Games I could think of that full well deserve the remaster treatment and that everyone would love: Peace walker, Crisis Core, God of War: Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta, Birth By Sleep, and pretty much any triple A game from them.

But seriously, HD Dissidia 012.....NAO!!!

fire-exit-man

Standing on the Edge of Reason
Oct 6, 2010
This is awesome news!

Here's hoping for MGS Portable Ops (even though it won't be anymore) and Peace Walker!

And while I'm hoping, maybe WipEout Pure and Pulse as well?

Dec 14, 2009
Ah hell yes.

I've only ever played Tri and I fucking loved it.

From what I hear, thre PSP versions are even better.

Sign me up!

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
Is...is this true? Can I finally get to play Monster Hunter in HD with a comfortable controller? I'm overjoyed ;_;

ShadowAurora

Sep 26, 2010
i hope they bring Knights in the Nightmare and Yggdra Union to ps3 and give them an HD remake like Capy did for M&M Clash of Heroes

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
COME OOOOOOOON PEACE WALKER!!!!

Literally the only game I care about, although the god of wars for psp wouldnt go amiss

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Yeah, I heard about this.

Can't wait for Duodecim on PS3. Because we know you'll do that, right Square-Enix? Right? RIGHT?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
AbsoluteVirtue18 said:
Yeah, I heard about this.

Can't wait for Duodecim on PS3. Because we know you'll do that, right Square-Enix? Right? RIGHT?
I will personally hold Wada at gunpoint and force him to green light that. I won't have any reason to not have a PS3 if they make that *drools*.

My Golbez kicking ass in HD glory....oh yes.