Sony Reveals Franchise-Spanning Game Collections

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Sony Reveals Franchise-Spanning Game Collections

Entire PlayStation franchises will be re-released in $30 Collection sets.

The current console generation is almost eight years old. Let that sink in for a moment. It means that as we approach <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117307-CliffyB-Epic-Must-Drag-the-Industry-Into-the-Next-Generation>the end of this generation, newcomers who just purchased their consoles have eight years worth of games to choose from, a difficult task considering that many titles may no longer be available on store shelves. Thankfully, Sony is making the challenge a little easier with an announcement that several popular franchises will be re-released in a new "PlayStation Collections" format. Starting on August 28th, gamers will be able to buy God of War, inFamous, and Ratchet & Clank collections that include most (if not all) games from the series and additional bonuses for $30 each.

The God of War Saga, the most impressive collection so far, will include all three core God of War games as well as the remastered Origins pack, exclusive bonus content, and a 1-Month PlayStation Plus Voucher. The inFamous collection will come with the 2 main games, the Festival of Blood DLC game, extra missions, additional costumes and bonuses. Finally, the Ratchet & Clank Collection includes the first three console titles from the series, a 10th Anniversary avatar, and early access to the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Demo. All collections also come with full PlayStation Trophy support and 3D Compatibility for select titles.

While the industry is rightfully <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117952-Rumor-Leaked-Design-Doc-Outs-Next-Gen-Xbox>looking forward to its upcoming consoles, collections like these are a great way for gamers to enjoy the best titles of the PlayStation's massive library without breaking their wallets in the process. As a gamer who only just bought a PlayStation 3 last December, I can personally attest to the difficulties of hunting for older titles, which sets like these go a long way towards relieving.

With eight years worth of current generation games in Sony's back catalog, only one question remains: What PlayStation Collections will Sony re-release next?

[gallery=857]

Source: Joystiq

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm sure there will be lots of dramatic arguing about this kind of thing as a rage against companies not making new games and what not, but I'm all for this. It's a great way to shore up game collections. And it's probably the best way for them to fight the so called "scourge" of used games. They include all the extra content and some stuff you can only get from them. Sounds right to me. And the ability to get all the GOW games brand new for only $30, that is a great price. Same goes for the others.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
This is an interesting business move on Sony's part, I mean since game devs bang the "second hand market" drum on a regular basis I see this as an answer to that, I mean after all if you've made your money on the game/games already then there's no need to re-release each instalment at full price so this is a nice compromise.

I recently sold my God of War collection for top dollar compared to other quotes I had for other media... so hearing I can rebuy it for less then what I sold it for makes me giggle a bit.

Thanks Sony.

Baresark said:
I'm sure there will be lots of dramatic arguing about this kind of thing as a rage against companies not making new games and what not, but I'm all for this. It's a great way to shore up game collections. And it's probably the best way for them to fight the so called "scourge" of used games. They include all the extra content and some stuff you can only get from them. Sounds right to me. And the ability to get all the GOW games brand new for only $30, that is a great price. Same goes for the others.
Great minds think alike!.

Simple minds, me like smash stuff, hurr hurr.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I was going to buy the Rachet and Clank HD collection but I might wait now. I hear Sly Coopers pretty good.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Where's the Jak and Daxter Collection?
Already Released [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jak_and_Daxter#Jak_and_Daxter_Collection]

Honestly, this is nice. But it also kind of sucks for the people who bought them before. The trade-off is that those people got to play the games quite a bit earlier. So it evens out I think.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Thinking I might buy all three of these at the moment.
I've played some God of War and Ratchet and Clank before but never got to play infamous and that has always bugged me.
I also agree that this is a positive way to combat used games, which I'm fine with so long as gamers aren't the ones getting the short straw.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
An Infamous collection? No disrespect against the games, but really? It's got two games in the series, that counts as a collection? Nonetheless, a pretty cool deal, $30 for something like the GoW and R&C series is a bargain if you've never played them all.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
PunkRex said:
I was going to buy the Rachet and Clank HD collection but I might wait now. I hear Sly Coopers pretty good.
Sly Cooper is awesome! Although I love both franchises I enjoyed Sly a lot more than I did Ratchet and Clank, it's certainly less frustrating to play.

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
Oh my it's finally happening. The God of War Collection collection. It was only a matter of time.
PunkRex said:
I think that might be the already announced Ratchet and Clank collection since I'm pretty sure that was supposed to come with the Thieves in Time demo as well.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Damn it, Sony. Why couldn't you bundle the Ratchet and Clank Future titles as well? Plus Deadlocked?

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
5 whole games? They must have counted God of War 3 twice.
Nah, there is 5 seperate games (actually 6 as I just learned)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_(series)#Games

OT: This makes me almost wish I never bought either of the infamous games, actually no thats a stupid thing to say. Having never bought them would have one of the stupidest things I could have ever done...

Although I wouldn't miss out on the DLC an extra costumes if I had of waited.
As Snoop Dogg said about not being allowed back into Norway: "I can live with that".

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Not bad. It's not enough for me to stop holding no backwards compatibility against Sony, but at least its something. Plus, HD and bonuses for a lower cost. So it can justify its existence.

One nitpick: we have had two GoW collections, and now we have a third one containing the contents of the other two, but with GoW3 added, while another one is coming out.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
5 whole games? They must have counted God of War 3 twice.
GoW Origins is the remastered PsP games released on the PS3. there are two of those.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
PS3 released in November 2006. It is currently August 2012. By my math, that is five years and nine months. I'm pretty sure that's less than eight. Even the 360 was first available in November 2005, still just under SEVEN years.

Or are we going by handhelds? I suppose the PSP's December '04 release in Japan is only four months shy of eight years... but none of these collections appear to include any handheld content.

So where does the eight-year figure come from? The device nearest to its eighth birthday is the Nintendo DS, hardly relevant to Sony... unless we're using it as a measuring stick for the console generation as a whole, for the sake of more impressive but less meaningful numbers, but that doesn't explain "With eight years worth of current generation games in Sony's back catalog".

P.S. Thanks

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I really want the Ratchet and Clank HD collection because I love that series to death and my copies of the game are really scratched from being overplayed. And at $30 I find that a steal, especially since some of those games are really long, not really God of War because those games were pretty short.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Considering that the Ratchet and Clank collection will actually have a cover FROM the PS2 games (well, the 3rd game), I'm not against that.

I mean, the cover for the PAL release of that collection was all the PS3 models. Ratchet's model from Tools Of Destruction, and then Qwark and Nefarious' shots straight from the cover of All 4 One.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Damn this sounds awesome! Definitely picking these up :D