Sony Says PS4 is "First and Foremost" a Game Console

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the last paragraph summed it up quite well. It seems that MS is trying to add all the FLaws PS3 had in its console. SOny, as always, one step ahead.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Can you imagine this kind of thing in other industries? What if Porsche and Ferrari were about to launch their latest small penis compensators and Ferrari felt the need to make a statement about how the new Ferrari Spaghetti 9820-i Sport GT also went forwards and backwards whilst the Porsche Ravioli GT Sport Turbo was more of a multimedia device.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I like to imagine that the PS4's advertising campaign is just going to be the X1's reveal video played over and over again.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I actually quite like the way Sony is playing this. Basically, wait for Microsoft to make all the announcements that are going to get large amounts of potential customers pissed off, then whisper 'We aren't doing that. Join ussssss'

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
No bias here, MS havent come out with any little statements pointing out the xbox one is primerially a games console. Whats that they ahve several fucking days ago.

Both consoles are underwhelming.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fappy said:
Now all they have to do is confirm they have no nefarious plans in regards to used games or always-online and they will have sealed the deal. The road to victory has never been so crystal clear for them... we can only hope their executives will see the light!
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Microsoft has bent itself over a barrel with it's pants down just BEGGING Sony to.....kick its ass. If Sony plays its cards right, it can surf this wave of MS Hate all the way to the PS4's launch and make an absolute killing. It still blows my mind how MS could have fucked up the XBone/XBone's reveal as royally as they did. Granted, this is the wonderful company that brought us the glorious Windows 8 OS, but even so! You'd think they'd learn that no matter how much they try, no matter how hard they push, they cannot stuff failed products down the throats of their consumer base. Windows 8 was/is a train wreck but damnit, come hell or high water, they're going to try to convince us that it's awesome. It's going to be the EXACT SAME THING with this XBone. "Kinect was a product that absolutely failed. Nobody wanted the damn thing, we literally couldn't even give the things away.......LET'S MAKE IT MANDATORY! Oh! Oh! Even better! Let's make 80% of the XBone's launch titles Kinect games! Yeah, maybe THAT'S what the problem was...people actually want the Kinect, but we just didn't give it a good foundation on the 360 to start from!"

It really just blows my mind how terrible the XBone sounds like it's going to be. But maybe this is all just part of the cycle...the winner of last generation's console war will be the loser of the next generation's console war. The PS2 was vastly more popular than the Xbox, then out comes the PS3 trying to get ahead of itself and it falls flat. The 360 (at least to my understanding) was the more popular console this go around, and now it's time for MS to try and get too big for it's britches and fall flat on its face...and into a vat of acid....that's filled with acid-proof sharks....that have frickin' lazers on their heads.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's pretty depressing that we're at the point where they have to reassure us that their games console is primarily for games.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Good on them for keeping their finger on the pulse of gaming better than some of the competition.

I'm reminded of Bob's Game Overthinker segment on Sony's victory with the PS1 when Nintendo screwed them over in their partnership, leaving the gaming equivalent of the plans to the Death Star behind. The point was that Sony actually had no business being in gaming since it had no experience, but succeeded because they were lucky to get the right tech, and, more importantly, they analyzed and exploited the weaknesses and arrogance of their competition.

Even if the PS4 doesn't essentially change the world, I could honestly understand if Sony won this "generation" since their rivals are an out-of-touch iron-fisted basket case and an old-timer who's main contribution to the new cycle was a goddamn game pad they called a "console."

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Aslong as the PS4 doesn`t have less features than the PS3 i`m fine with Sony. Having a browser is nice and using it for movies and music is allright. What i don`t need and want are a tv-station and getting paranoid from being watched by Kinect.
My only concern with the PS4 is the price tag since i won`t be able to spend 599bucks (amazon preorder price) and that i´m still waiting for bad surprises from their side. Atm it all sounds allmost to good to be true.
That's just a placeholder price that Amazon uses until they get the actual price and release date of the console. If Amazon's placeholder price were true for the PS4 then that would mean that the $900 placeholder price for the Xbox One is the actual price of the console.

OT: It's like the other companies are just wanting to let Sony win this race. Well we still have Nintendo, and I think that they're purposely falling behind so then they can start spamming blueshells, but the Xbox Box one keeps on falling further behind with hopes of getting the lightening. All the Xbone keeps getting though is Thunder Cloud.
...okay I'll stop with the Mario Kart metaphor for the console wars.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
RatherDull said:
If you want to reassure us, just come out and say you aren't blocking used games and won't do always online.
This. This is what I want to hear from them. Come on, Sony--just do those two things and this'll be the shortest console war of all time.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I still don't get how the xbone is meant to be synonymous with all in one. All in one means all in one. One just means one. The xball would have better suggested what they were trying for.
Also, yeah Sony, we know. We knew when you showed more than a couple games at your press conference, and when you spent so much time getting developers to talk about developing games for the PS4. You might as well have announced that you're not going to kick puppies.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I love how they're looking for good PR because of the dumb XboX TV thing. What nonsense is this you speak of? A VIDEOGAME console focusing on GAMES? OH MY!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
This was the very first thing I thought about when the next-gen stuff was revealed. The PS3's tagline was "It does everything" while the 360 was the Halo box. Everyone (especially Microsoft) laughed at the PS3.

Now they have switched places, but up until this point I have yet to have read a single news outlet call them out on it.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
THE MONTH IN GAMING:

GEARBOX ATTEMPTS TO IMPROVE BORDERLANDS 2 BY UNLEASHING MADMAN ONTO GAMING COMMUNITY
Prospects optimistic.

MINECRAFT STILL STUPID-POPULAR
Notch picks out design for new mansion.

MICROSOFT FILLS BARREL FULL OF FISH, HANDS SONY A RIFLE
Sony obliges.

I STILL DON'T HAVE A PROPER COMPUTER FOR PC GAMING
And my birthday was this month, too. :c

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, ever since M$'s big reveal conference, it's so easy for Sony to look good to gamers. All they have to do is say they are doing the things that M$ isn't (read: everything that concerns actual gamers) and they look awesome.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Whether or not you're a jaded college of business graduate like me who sees dollar signs in the eyes of every company, this is a good sign. It's showing that Sony is actually listening to "the internets" and is mobile enough to respond rapidly and positively. This shows that Sony thinks the way to win this generation is to give us what we want within their means to give it. You have to reward companies when they do that because, believe it or not, modern companies have forgotten that they're in the business of making customers happy. Sony seeing this as an opportunity to gain market share is them being savy and the key being customer satisfaction is exactly where we want them to be.

If they can just come in at a reasonable price then there's no real problem that I can see yet. I am somewhat concerned that Microsoft is trying to lure Sony into having a high price point with the $900 (£600) Xbone preorder in the UK Amazon site. I can't see Microsoft thinking that pricing is a good idea but the kinect plus machine may really be that expensive in the first iteration.

This is why companies are cyclical in their ability to hear consumers. When they need market share the key is making consumers happy. When they have market share then they view that as the opportunity to bleed their market dry. This is particularly evident when there's only a few players in the market. We really need companies to stop dropping the ball and start playing to win the war. Having multiple generations of making us happy will only bury their competition and make us actually stalwart fans. Giving up smaller and short-lived victories for a good name and long-term profit.

JetFury

May 31, 2013
Really hope Sony doesn't mess this up. If they don't have drm or game restrictions they have a clear cut path to victory. They should anyway after how badly Microsoft did

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
Fun Fact:

Anyone who uses the term "master race" sounds like a Nazi.

If Sony is smart, they won't implement the prove you're not a pirate before we allow you to play games policy, and the somehow we have the authority to charge fees for used games policy.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Lightknight said:
Whether or not you're a jaded college of business graduate like me who sees dollar signs in the eyes of every company, this is a good sign. It's showing that Sony is actually listening to "the internets" and is mobile enough to respond rapidly and positively. This shows that Sony thinks the way to win this generation is to give us what we want within their means to give it. You have to reward companies when they do that because, believe it or not, modern companies have forgotten that they're in the business of making customers happy. Sony seeing this as an opportunity to gain market share is them being savy and the key being customer satisfaction is exactly where we want them to be.

If they can just come in at a reasonable price then there's no real problem that I can see yet. I am somewhat concerned that Microsoft is trying to lure Sony into having a high price point with the $900 (£600) Xbone preorder in the UK Amazon site. I can't see Microsoft thinking that pricing is a good idea but the kinect plus machine may really be that expensive in the first iteration.
Agree with most of what you say but you have to realise those figures are place holders, those are NOT the price of the consoles.