Sony Says PS4 is "First and Foremost" a Game Console

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Bravo Sony, bravo. If they pull this off and we can return to the glory days similar to that of the PS2 I will be so freaking happy. Now if you would get a sequel released of Dark Cloud I just might go to jail for biting some ones face off at Target trying to get one.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Gregg Johnson said:
Lightknight said:
TelHybrid said:
I do love how Sony's got such good press right now. It's as if people have completely forgotten about the fact they removed an advertised feature of their console (other OS) and also stored people's details in plain text files, which made them easily accessible during the whole hacking thing.

Meh, companies can do anything they want these days. I'm not judging honestly, I still have my PS3 haha.
Not sure why the second OS would matter when they have an additional processor dedicated for updates. Is there a reason you'd like another OS and did they actually promise one for the PS4?
And I have absolutely no idea what having a "processor dedicated for updates" has anything to do with them removing the ability to put Linux on our PS3.

This post makes you sound like one of those guys that thinks he can talk computers even when he doesn't know anything about them.
This was promised to be available on the ps4? Or are you complaining that they patched over it on the ps3? I thought perhaps you were referring to the Xbone having multiple OS's running alongside one another to allow rapid transfer between processes.

I'm not sure why you'd expect them to keep the OtherOS around after the security breaches were discovered and publicly revealed by the person who found it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27850/Firmware_Upgrade_To_Disable_PS3_Other_OS_Feature.php

An extremely small user base of the ps3 would have been using linux, so there's no wonder about the little concern over that matter. In any event, I'd far rather the OS be removed than to have had a second massive security breach (though we don't know if a linux based attack would have prompted the improved security sooner and thereby prevented the attack that happened in 2011).

It's not like Sony was being a jerk about it. Someone announced a significant vulnerability it caused and Sony's best course of action was to remove it. There's a big difference between a company being evil/greedy and doing something to thwart customers vs doing something to protect customers even though some are against it.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
Something I would like someone to check, because this thought has been nagging me for a while. Could someone note down any similarities between the PS3 and the Xbone reveal?
They are using similar processor architecture. Intel x86. Both are offering I believe 4 Gb of system RAM. They will both be using a high speed RF mechanism to talk with the controllers. Both using off the shelf GPU's either nVidia or ATI.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
faefrost said:
VoidWanderer said:
Something I would like someone to check, because this thought has been nagging me for a while. Could someone note down any similarities between the PS3 and the Xbone reveal?
They are using similar processor architecture. Intel x86. Both are offering I believe 4 Gb of system RAM. They will both be using a high speed RF mechanism to talk with the controllers. Both using off the shelf GPU's either nVidia or ATI.
I was actually referring to the actual PS3, not the PS4. I think the reveals for the 'current' gen Playstation and the next Microsoft consoles will have similar segments.

Thanks for the info though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
A little follow-through with your statements and adding things that we actually want, and we can do business.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Between Sony and Microsoft, Sony already has my vote so far. Just as long as they don't screw up the PS4... Still need to get my hands on a WiiU though. Only when the exclusives start pushing out, though~

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
badgersprite said:
MrWunderful said:
Of course they are going to say this after all the rage Microsoft has been getting for touting everything about the Xbox One BUT gaming.

Very smart move on Sony's part, from a PR stand point.

I am just curious if in the future, they change their tune to "oh but it does all this other stuff too!" To avoid looking like a 1-trick pony-when in reality, that is what most gamers want. A dedicated gaming only console.

I also bet that at E3, Microsoft will embellish the fact that this is a "gaming console above all else" or something- just to try and save a little bit of face from sony.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I don't think most gamers want a purely gaming-only console, and nobody here thinks the PS4 doesn't also have the ability to play movies and TV and browse the internet and have apps on it and serve other purposes beyond video games (especially since the PS3 already does all of that). But gamers want a gaming console with multimedia features as an addition that supports its primary functionality of playing games - that is, making an already attractive gaming console more functional - and not a multimedia box that also plays games as an afterthought. Sony isn't changing their tune here at all.

Remember when the PS3 came out and they marketed it as a blu-ray player? Lots of gamers use their PS3 to play blu-ray discs and DVDs, including me, but they bought it for the games first, and the added features gave it an additional purpose that we were quite happy to use because it saved us buying a blu-ray player. No non-gamer looked at the PS3, which was way more expensive than any blu-ray player, and decided they were going to buy it. Most non-gamers don't want a gaming console.

So, basically, gamers want a system that is primarily engineered towards gaming. If the console has other additional features that make your life better, that's awesome, but that's just an ornament to the console. Those peripheral functions are not its core, especially when you consider that not all gamers are going to be interested in using those functions, but all gamers are interested in games.

I'm never going to stream TV or movies through my consoles. I have other things I already use for that. Don't sell me on features other devices already provide me with. Sell me a next-generation gaming system, because I don't have one of those yet.
Actually right at the PS3 Launch a standard Blu Ray player had a higher price than the PS3 did.
Before the PS3 launch a Blu ray player was $1,000. The PS3 was $499.99.

Fappy said:
Now all they have to do is confirm they have no nefarious plans in regards to used games or always-online and they will have sealed the deal. The road to victory has never been so crystal clear for them... we can only hope their executives will see the light!
Amen to that

StewShearer said:
Charli said:
StewShearer said:
1337mokro said:
Sony is basically screaming as hard as it can. "WE ARE NOT MICROSOFT"

It's a good marketing strategy now that everyone is pissing on M$ so much that the PS4 looks like a fucking dream come true. Not mine of course, I am after all one of the master gaming race.
Neo Geo Pocket gamer, huh?
Pft those guys are nabs, real master race are gamers who recode their games to work on a fucking tamagotchi!
Psh... I play turn-based strategy games by doodling on napkins at IHOP. Truly I am the hardcore-est of them all!
I use rocks and some sand for my turn-based strategy game. Monster Capturing? Well there wild animals in the woods, that would do right?

You know its bad enough where Notch is working his way out of his contract with MS over the XBLA Minecraft deal. Hes sick with dealing with MS and Sony just gave him a E3 Sony Press Invite in the form of a Golden PS One. MS gave him headaches, Sony gave him a console spray painted gold that plays FF7.

I also have this

The tables have turned.

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
Lightknight said:
Gregg Johnson said:
Lightknight said:
TelHybrid said:
I do love how Sony's got such good press right now. It's as if people have completely forgotten about the fact they removed an advertised feature of their console (other OS) and also stored people's details in plain text files, which made them easily accessible during the whole hacking thing.

Meh, companies can do anything they want these days. I'm not judging honestly, I still have my PS3 haha.
Not sure why the second OS would matter when they have an additional processor dedicated for updates. Is there a reason you'd like another OS and did they actually promise one for the PS4?
And I have absolutely no idea what having a "processor dedicated for updates" has anything to do with them removing the ability to put Linux on our PS3.

This post makes you sound like one of those guys that thinks he can talk computers even when he doesn't know anything about them.
This was promised to be available on the ps4? Or are you complaining that they patched over it on the ps3? I thought perhaps you were referring to the Xbone having multiple OS's running alongside one another to allow rapid transfer between processes.

I'm not sure why you'd expect them to keep the OtherOS around after the security breaches were discovered and publicly revealed by the person who found it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27850/Firmware_Upgrade_To_Disable_PS3_Other_OS_Feature.php

An extremely small user base of the ps3 would have been using linux, so there's no wonder about the little concern over that matter. In any event, I'd far rather the OS be removed than to have had a second massive security breach (though we don't know if a linux based attack would have prompted the improved security sooner and thereby prevented the attack that happened in 2011).

It's not like Sony was being a jerk about it. Someone announced a significant vulnerability it caused and Sony's best course of action was to remove it. There's a big difference between a company being evil/greedy and doing something to thwart customers vs doing something to protect customers even though some are against it.
1) I'm just referring to what the person you originally quoted was saying, and HE was referring to the Other OS feature from the PS3. He's saying that Sony's had a bad rap the last few years, and now it's their time to turn it around.

2) The security breaches happened AFTER the "Other OS" feature was removed. In fact, a lot of people think the hacking was done IN PROTEST of the feature removal. The "Security Concerns" they cited in that article were generic bullshit from Sony. So, nice try with that one, but no.

3) Just because a feature has a small user base, that doesn't mean it should be removed. Especially since the feature already exists. It would have costed them nothing to keep the Other OS feature around, they just decided to remove it for stupid, nonsensical reasons.

There was nothing in the PS3's hardware that would have allowed such a massive security breach on Sony's side. It was as bad as it was because they weren't doing things properly on the server end, not because of some gigantic hidden backdoor through the PS3 hardware. The removal of Linux features was because Sony was trying to lock down their console more, that's it. They didn't want people using it for pirating (which could be done with a Linux OS).