Sony Servers Infiltrated Abroad, Twice

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
UdderedAvenger said:
Frostbite3789 said:
slimeonline said:
Saw this earlier on twitter. Hilarious as an xbox owner.

Hackers: 6 Sony:0
Yeah, it's gonna be really hilarious when they get bored with Sony, right?

Microsoft has built up a ton of ill-will from the PC community, from constantly taking a dump on PC gaming. So, best of luck.
And since Xbox users, PAY for their online service, it's definitely worse for them.
except xbox live hasn't actually ever been hacked, and we xbox owners can be secure in the knowledge Microsoft actually went out of their way to get 256bit encrypted servers for account infromation instead of an apple II like sony did...
Why are you thinking that Xbox Live has never been hacked?

http://kotaku.com/5504145/xbox-live-directors-account-hacked-are-you-next

http://kotaku.com/245887/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Uber Waddles said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
These people need to fucking stop. It was never clever, cool, rebellious, or funny. It is dickish and pathetic.
Like how Sony changed is TOSA and EULA to take away a function they used to sell the product, then bricked your system if you tried to do it anyways?

Then made a big case over some kid finding a way to restore that functionality?

Do I think these attacks are wrong? Yes. But Sony had this coming to them. They started it, now they have to man up and take the gruff of it.
But it's not Sony being punished. It's the consumer. When dealing with bullies, you don't go to the bully and say "stop beating up nerds or I will steal their lunch money!"

I think Thedek puts it well (condensed for space)

Thedek said:
From everything I have heard I think the guys did do it to make a point, as I have heard no stories of widespread identity theft due to this attack.

What some people seem to not understand is that, just because they were trying to make a point, doesn't mean they were in any way justified in doing so.

*snip, read the whole post por favor*

Sony may have been wrong in their policies.

But wronging them doesn't make the hackers magically right.

NOTE: All of this is my opinion. I largely operate based on logic, but with no proof it isn't fact, just conjecture based on the information I have about the situation.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
HankMan said:
Jumplion said:
HankMan said:
If Sony were a My little Pony, it would have a bull's eye on it's rump.
This what happens when your try to restrict your customers' services.
....by stealing millions of people's information and continuing to harass the customer?

See, I never understood the argument of "this is what happens when you do this and this and this and yadda yadda yadda" because it's not helping their cause in any way whatsoever. If these hackers wanted to send a message of "don't fuck with your consumers", then their M.O. isn't exactly the best way to show that message.

Does Sony deserve some of this? Probably, I have no idea at this point. Do the consumers deserve this shit? I don't think so, no. Any semblance of altruism in these hackers must be filtered through their warped sense of justice. But they're not "for the people". They weren't the moment they stole the customer's information, the people that some say they're trying to defend, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Now it's just assholery. These continued hacks do nothing to support any cause, they're just dicks at this point.
Yes it is assholery but the thing is Sony wouldn't have been targeted if they hadn't tried to stop people from jail-breaking the PS3, or given them reason to. Once people started screwing around with the PS3, it was only a matter of time before someone used that knowledge maliciously.
They would have used it maliciously anyway these hackers have harmed consumers and developers more than anyone else they greedy bastards who deserve prison. If they really were for the people why the personal information theft. I was not against these groups before this but now I hate them. That is what they are doing for their cause.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
slimeonline said:
Saw this earlier on twitter. Hilarious as an xbox owner.

Hackers: 6 Sony:0
You do know that these servers have nothing to do with SCE, right?

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Hacker and Anti-Sony logic says:

"They had this coming; it's sure to give us back our God-given rights by acting like tools to our emotions. ^_^"

Yeah I'm on the side that says: "I would still have my freaking Linux if Geo would shut up for a second." I ignore the people who say Geo was an excuse due to the abundance~ of evidence I've always received on the well backed theories. So to me, it feels like a lot of children are playing rage against the parents. Not that the parents were perfect, but *way* more in the right than the hackers are. ' -'

loogie

Mar 2, 2011
Jumplion said:
Uber Waddles said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
These people need to fucking stop. It was never clever, cool, rebellious, or funny. It is dickish and pathetic.
Like how Sony changed is TOSA and EULA to take away a function they used to sell the product, then bricked your system if you tried to do it anyways?

Then made a big case over some kid finding a way to restore that functionality?

Do I think these attacks are wrong? Yes. But Sony had this coming to them. They started it, now they have to man up and take the gruff of it.
But it's not Sony being punished. It's the consumer. When dealing with bullies, you don't go to the bully and say "stop beating up nerds or I will steal their lunch money!"

I think Thedek puts it well (condensed for space)

Thedek said:
From everything I have heard I think the guys did do it to make a point, as I have heard no stories of widespread identity theft due to this attack.

What some people seem to not understand is that, just because they were trying to make a point, doesn't mean they were in any way justified in doing so.

*snip, read the whole post por favor*

Sony may have been wrong in their policies.

But wronging them doesn't make the hackers magically right.

NOTE: All of this is my opinion. I largely operate based on logic, but with no proof it isn't fact, just conjecture based on the information I have about the situation.
If you think it hasn't effectd Sony, you're incredibly daft... The point is, no one knew or cared about everything Sony was doing, everyone was happy to sit in their basement and play their games, happy to hand over their information believing it was secure, and happy to assume sony had your best interests in hand as a customer... Now? I'm sure many of your have had to make a decision to stick behind them, or move on to other companies... Even if you have decided to stick with them, how much more are you willing to take, it's becoming quite apparent that this is the tip of the iceberg, and Sony's rush to get this new system in place is bound to be full of holes, nevermind the other systems they have that have apparently changed nothing even tho they use the same security...

I do not own a ps3, but it is possible my info was stolen, since i've used my info to pay for things my brother has purchased, and being in such a position, without years of loyal service to sony (at least since the release of the ps3) i can't help but shake my head this mess...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
loogie said:
If you think it hasn't effectd Sony, you're incredibly daft...
I didn't say anything of that sort at all. Just that it needlessly affects the customers rather than specifically targeting Sony. If they were truly altruistic, they wouldn't have stolen the info.

The point is, no one knew or cared about everything Sony was doing, everyone was happy to sit in their basement and play their games, happy to hand over their information believing it was secure, and happy to assume sony had your best interests in hand as a customer...
And I doubt that has changed, at least the consumers not knowing or caring what Sony was doing. I bet you the majority of the 70+ million users of PSN and the like did not, nor ever, cared about whateverthehell Sony put in their ToS/EULA or whether they removed OtherOS or who they sued, or whatever. They just wanted to play their games. Sad truth, depending on how you look at it.

Now? I'm sure many of your have had to make a decision to stick behind them, or move on to other companies... Even if you have decided to stick with them, how much more are you willing to take, it's becoming quite apparent that this is the tip of the iceberg, and Sony's rush to get this new system in place is bound to be full of holes, nevermind the other systems they have that have apparently changed nothing even tho they use the same security...
And how does this benefit the customer in the long run? This will only make Sony even more paranoid, even more restrictive with their consumer rights and junk. Their userbase was attacked, not themselves. If these hackers wanted to make a point, they would have gone to the higher-ups, not the lowly peasant. This only further proves their points.

Is their reputation tarnished? Sure. Was it justified? Maybe. Does the ends justify the means? Not in this case, I don't think.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Another Sony server has been hacked and account information stolen.

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-music-greece-latest-to-suffer-security-hack-user-data-in-the-wild-23153551/

And another Sony site hacked and defaced.

http://www.thehackernews.com/2011/05/sony-music-indonesia-defaced-by.html

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Thedek said:
There were multiple class action lawsuits against Sony by large groups of people claiming that their identity had been stolen, as evidenced by calls from their bank and whatnot. 'Course, they could be lying and jumping on the 'SUING BIG COMPANIES IS AN EASY WAY TO MAKE FIVE GAJILLION DOLLARS!' bandwagon, but I can't say anything for certain.

Edit: http://www.thehackernews.com/2011/05/facebook-says-i-am-vulnerable-please.html

Really? That's just sad.

thatcanadianguy

Feb 15, 2009
im starting to wonder if perhaps Microsoft is behind the attacks. they would certianly have a vested intrest in seeing their major competition go under, and they CERTIANLY have the manpower and resources to launch a cyber attack agaisnt sony. what better way to turn people from psn to xbox live, than to make psn seem unstable and dangerous to use hmmm?

of course if this is the case and sony went under, you'd see Xbox live subscription prices go through the roof..

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
This is horrible and has to stop. I have no admiration for these hackers and I never will.

I felt no loathing for SOE when my games were down for a month. If someone wants to break into a system they will find a way. There is no 100% secure network.

If they felt they were 'proving a point' by compromising my information, and online safety than they are really out of touch with reality.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Thedek said:
There were multiple class action lawsuits against Sony by large groups of people claiming that their identity had been stolen, as evidenced by calls from their bank and whatnot. 'Course, they could be lying and jumping on the 'SUING BIG COMPANIES IS AN EASY WAY TO MAKE FIVE GAJILLION DOLLARS!' bandwagon, but I can't say anything for certain.

Edit: http://www.thehackernews.com/2011/05/facebook-says-i-am-vulnerable-please.html

Really? That's just sad.
That's factually incorrect. There have been no confirmed reports of identity theft or credit card fraud resulting from information stolen from Sony. The lawsuits don't allege damage from identity theft or credit card fraud. They allege damage from having to take steps to protect against identity theft and credit card fraud and from the loss of access to PSN while it was off-line.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Thedek said:
Kopikatsu said:
Thedek said:
I imagine it was the latter, or they just suck at not getting their identity stolen in the first place.

I would think, if money and scamming were the goal, that we would have heard of many more incidents of it happening, again my opinion, but I largely base my opinion off some sort of logic.
I tend to agree with you. If they were in it for the money, there would have already been many confirmed cases of actual or attempted fraud.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jumplion said:
Does Sony deserve some of this? Probably, I have no idea at this point. Do the consumers deserve this shit? I don't think so, no. Any semblance of altruism in these hackers must be filtered through their warped sense of justice. But they're not "for the people". They weren't the moment they stole the customer's information, the people that some say they're trying to defend, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Now it's just assholery. These continued hacks do nothing to support any cause, they're just dicks at this point.
That?s the way I feel.
I can?t really blame the hackers if they got a bone to pick with Sony (hell, I get pissed off at them too as a ps3 owner and a former LikSang customer) but they really have to keep the other people (who like me may be disgruntled but not to the point of hacking our consoles... Yet) out of their crosshairs. These are people who would otherwise probably be on their side.
Sony has to take some responsibility for this as well though. They have a long history of throwing down the gauntlet to hackers and it?s never led to anything good for them. Now I foresee the ps3 having the same pathetic downfall as the psp: where we?re going to be getting weekly updates to the firmware that will only ever fend off the latest hacks. We may even see more features taken out as the hackers figure out how to exploit them as they did with OtherOS.
It?s almost enough to make me wish I got a 360 instead.