Sony Won't Approve Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Promos

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Sony Won't Approve Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Promos

PlayStation 3 users set to miss Resurgence event this weekend.

If you've been hard at work churning out level twenty death machines for Mass Effect 3's cooperative mode on either Xbox 360 or PC, then perhaps you've been taking a few things for granted without even knowing it. Did you know, for example, that your friends who purchased the game for PlayStation 3 have never been offered a promotional weekend? You know, those two-day community exercises that grant bonus XP and free super content packs worth 240 MS Points or more? According to EA, it's not trying to discriminate against people who play on PS3, but Sony simply won't approve Mass Effect promotional weekends for users of its console.

"Unfortunately, we are not yet able to offer our Multiplayer Challenge weekends on PlayStation 3," said EA community manager Eduardo Vasoncellos. "Sony has not yet approved the promotion."

PS3 users have already missed out on numerous events, and soon, they can add one more to the list: Operation Resurgence, set to run from Friday, April 13th at 5PM PST to Monday, April 16th 5AM PST. Anyone who takes part will receive a 10% XP bonus any time they play on one of the Resurgence DLC's two new maps, as well as a free "Reserves Pack," which is guaranteed to unlock one of the new alien classes just released. If you're playing on PS3, you'll just have to unlock them through the traditional grind. Sorry, guys!

To date, Sony has declined to comment on its delay in approving Mass Effect's online promotions, and has released no information on when or if it will allow them on PSN in the future.

Source: BioWare Blog [http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/11/operation-resurgence/]

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Inb4 Shoulda got it on the PC. (because you should have you dirty console scrubs)

But yeah, sucks for you guys, although the Operations haven't been entirely smooth on the other platforms either. I'm still waiting for my commendation packs from the last operation and i know some people who haven't received their packs from any of them so far.

Also it should be noted that the ps3 DID get the first bonus 25% xp following Operation: Goliath i think it was... So it's not like it's impossible.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Damn it, Sony, first the debacle over the European release of Dragon Age: Origins - Awakenings, and now this!?

Does Sony just actively hate BioWare, or something?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They are probably scared about users sending their data to EA. Maybe they think its a security risk?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
>.>

ok ..... its EA's game (can't believe i'm about to side with EA ... but ...) where dose Sony even have the right to say no to events like this? or have they gotten, dumber, since i 'left'

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
>.>

ok ..... its EA's game (can't believe i'm about to side with EA ... but ...) where dose Sony even have the right to say no to events like this? or have they gotten, dumber, since i 'left'
Oh look its you again the sony hypocrite.
Ot: It's probably sony not wanting to lower psn barriers without a good reason.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Damn that really sucks for the PS3 people. Serious dick move my Sony right there. Now if you'll excuse me....

*crosses every crossable part of body for an Asari Justicar or Geth Infiltrator*

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rolfwesselius said:
Lunar Templar said:
>.>

Oh look its you again the sony hypocrite.
Ot: It's probably sony not wanting to lower psn barriers without a good reason.
hypocrite?
*gets a chair and waits for that explanation*

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
>.>

If EA wants to run promotional weekends, they can go ahead and build their own console, with their own computer network to run it on. -Sony

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh well, time to cart out the obvious meme
http://social.bioware.com/uploads_user/741000/740385/30367.gif
<color=blue>Ah yes the "promotional weekend".
The concept of offering players access special content and level up their characters over a culturally defined two day period. We have dismissed that claim. Along with the concept of "smart" business practices
Did not see that one coming. Also, very halarious.

OT: Why is this being done? It will only encourage people to avoid Playstation more, and I don't see what the issue is.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
Lunar Templar said:
>.>

If EA wants to run promotional weekends, they can go ahead and build their own console, with their own computer network to run it on. -Sony
clearly, which, i find kinda wrong. you'd think an even like this would be good for every one involved

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Didn't the PS3 get LotSB or Arrival free or something? Or am I making it up...

They missed out on ME1 I guess.

Odin311

Mar 11, 2010
It is possible that Sony doesn't have PSN set up to do this type of thing. Does anyone recall any promotional events on any other games?

Jul 9, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
Didn't the PS3 get LotSB or Arrival free or something? Or am I making it up...

They missed out on ME1 I guess.
IIRC, they got Genesis (i.e, the comic that explained ME1 and let you make the major choices) for free, but that's only because they did not get ME1 at all in the first place.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Darkmantle said:
And I still have a sony fanboy friend who keeps telling me PSN is better than live
Well the PSN tends to be a bit more open with their network when working with other companies. The portal 2 co op on PC and the up coming DUST 514 launch from CCP games and DC Universe Online prove this really. In fact CCP games was going to put DUST 514 on the xbox but Microsoft wouldn't open up their live platform enough for them to do what they needed to do in terms of integration.

That said I don't own a PS3 or xbox and haven't used much of either so maybe I'm entirely wrong about Sony's PSN platform being more developer friendly than the xbox live platform.