SOPA Storms Back

Apr 29, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
SOPA will pass and then be repealed after the consequences are fully realized. Did anyone expect it to be completely gone?
I think you're pretty optimistic. But I knew it was coming back.

...I just didn't expect it to rise in a day.
But, at least we have some time to continue fighting it until something better can be created.

Auesis

Mar 10, 2011
This will go 2 ways:

1) It will be obliterated by the Presidency before it passes
2) It passes, everything gets fucked up, bill gets revoked after they realise how fucking stupid it was

I'm not worried.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Exile714 said:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.
No problem. If you ever want us to ***** and throw a temper tantrum again, just say the word. That's what the internet is for, and by golly, we'll keep it free to be that way!

Seriously though, that foreign thieves argument is such a poor one. I've just spent the last month trying to get EA to sell me a copy of the Old Republic here in Vietnam, even right down to pleading to them for someone to give money to. They flat refuse to sell it outside of their original market zones. I had to get someone back in the UK to send me some codes.

So seriously... you if you want dirty foreigners to stop 'thieving' your IP, and taking away jobs from honest hard working Americans, actually sell the damn things over here. You know what, you just might create more jobs.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I can't act shocked because I expected it to come back.

It is a little surprising that it is resuming so fast.

*sniff sniff*

Yep, something definitely smells suspicious here. Something changed behind the scenes in the past couple of days.

captcha

you're averimp

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
EvilChameleon said:
Good lord, time to move to England.
For the love of Christ don't think that you'll be safe over here! We may not have a SOPA equivalent, yet, but it's only a matter of time considering how much our establishment likes nothing more than to tongue the White House's balls; and even worse, we have no written constitution to keep us safe from laws like these.

Go to Sweden. That's where I'm going if shit hits the fan. Yeah it's cold but at least they'll never be able to touch us there.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property.."
Real classy there, Mr. Smith.

I wonder, how will SOPA protect jobs and businesses, when so many profitable websites that are hosted in the US will have to haul ass to Europe in order to survive?
There's some backwards logic at work there. Then again, those same words could be used to describe this bill.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Exile714 said:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.

im gonna trust you on this. I dont work in law or politics but i believe you when you say this.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Andy Chalk said:
"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy," Smith said.
Andy Chalk said:
foreign thieves
"Filthy little thieves, they stole it. Filthy Bagginses. They took... the Precious!"

That's what I hear when I read this guy's quotes. Also, xenophobic much?

But really, why can't this thing just die? It's like the bloody zombie genre.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
This was just the calm before the shitstorm.

How long until they realize everyone is against SOPA?

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
HOLY MOTHER OF CUNTING FUCK THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!

But I guess it'll teach us not to pop the champaign early. At least they don't have to cancel the blackouts tomorrow, because if you're going to cripple the internet and piss millions off, you might as well make sure you do it on your own terms.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
ROOTminus1 said:
Gotta hope it gets vetoed at the Whitehouse
The problem with that is, if it does get vetoed, it doesn't mean that the bill is fully stopped. If the supporters can somehow weasel enough votes when they send it back through Congress, the veto would be overridden and it would become law anyway.

Some times I wonder how many Republicans in the US government are truly Conservative, because no true Conservative would support this thing. It goes against the Conservative principles.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010

I mean, really. We get a little over 24 hours of partial victory. God damnit. Oh well, better get back to fighting mode.

For my initial reaction, please consult the following video:

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Hardcore_gamer said:
Andy Chalk said:
a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs
What jobs is he talking about? Won't SOPA destory all kinds of jobs like some of the ones people on the escapist have?
You speak as if anything he's saying is meant to be remotely "logical" or "true".

No, he's in this entirely for fear-mongering.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
If SOPA passes, foreign thieves will the the least of their problems. Anon will be all over this and they won't be kind. Remember when they crashed PSN for no real good reason. Guess what's gonna happen when they have a good reason.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
They're just going to keep delaying it until the outrage blows over and they can pass it under the radar.

Mar 30, 2010
AstylahAthrys said:

I mean, really. We get a little over 24 hours of partial victory. God damnit. Oh well, better get back to fighting mode.

For my initial reaction, please consult the following video:

I always thought Madre de Dios meant Mother of God. Just saying'.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
"I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues in the House and Senate to send a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs and protects intellectual property."
-Lamar Smith in regards to SOPA

Seriously, doesn't this guy get it that this bill won't make jobs, or protect intellectual property?
This bill and PIPA will will destroy both of them.

Oy vey... Politicians.

Ryan McGrath

May 25, 2011
This is why we cant have nice things, we need to replace these fucken 60 years and up Congressman who have no grasp on current economic trends and new economic frontiers. Herp Derp Herp Derp Herp Derp.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
In defense of the foreigner comment, I think he might be referring to the Chinese, who are known for getting "inspiration [http://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+intellectual+property+theft&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]" from others.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The following cut-scene from Saints Row 2 sums up my feelings towards this turn of events and how we should metaphorically deal with it.

Metaphorically speaking of course, I would never advocate the tainting of meat products in such a fashion.