SOPA Storms Back

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
The real irony here is that the biggest export the US has is it's own culture.
Maybe the USA shouldn't sell its creative content over international borders before it starts to make laws that demand other nations should adhere to its copyright laws.
Maybe we foreigners should just shun attempts by the USA to sell us their culture.
If they're so protective of their creativity they should stop whoring it out to everyone and anyone.
Perhaps the only real solution for the problem that is international piracy is the removal of international borders and the creation of a global legal system everyone has to adhere to or face total isolation.
The best way to protect US citizens from piracy is to disband the USA and all other countries in favour of a global government where we won't have to worry about national borders and the conflicts that arise as a result.

Rikkano

May 29, 2011
Honestly, this seems a little desperate from his side. He already proposed the bill and met so heavy resistance they had to delay it. Now he tries the patriotism approach?

Tjebbe

Jul 2, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Andy Chalk said:
a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs
What jobs is he talking about? Won't SOPA destory all kinds of jobs like some of the ones people on the escapist have?
Yes it will. But those jobs aren't paying his campaigns (and hence his position, and hence his income), so he couldn't care less about those.

I have read somewhere that a long time ago, most politicians at least had the decency to be ashamed of their corruption.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Andy Chalk is a far right disgrace who takes cheques from Big business to peddle their agenda in Congress. With the U.S debt crisis getting worse every year, don't they have much more important shit to worry about?

Obviously not.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I hope to God this thing never passes, and if it ever does, then the massive backlash will send legislators back-peddling.

At least, I hope that's what happens, 'cause I don't have the money to leave the country...

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
My god they just don't give up do they?

I only hear opposition of the bill from everyone I meet, not praise. It is a losing fight and they know it.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Foreign thieves... I don't understand how restricting American citizen's rights would combat foreign thieves. Actually, the bill really helps them out, a lot.

Up top for government [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8KP9_KyA7I]!

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
...Did they seriously pull out the race card?
SOPA, you continue to amuse my disappointment. I hope your houses spontaneously fall down on top of you.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
JasonKaotic said:
...Did they seriously pull out the race card?
SOPA, you continue to amuse my disappointment. I hope your houses spontaneously fall down on top of you.
The irony is that "foreign thieves", fictitious entities or not, aren't the ones to be punished by preventing US citizens from accessing a free internet.

It's sure going to open up a market for people selling an uncensored internet to us, though; certain entrepreneurs are already setting plans in motion to capitalize on our government's foolhardiness. Way to combat piracy by helping to invent a new form of it, Congress. Truly, you are a boon to the people.

I'd also be interested to see how many people would flat out leave the country over this.

foxtrot3100

Mar 8, 2010
Have you guys heard of the big push to not attend E3 because of SOPA? A lot of people over at Penny Arcade say that they won't be attending or covering E3 because it is the ESA's main source of revenue and the ESA supports SOPA. I think the escapist should join in.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Can someone just shoot this fuck? Seriously, there has to be at least ONE crazy asshole who can just kill this guy.

Christ politicians are awful.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
Why are they still talking about passing it ? Just wrap it in a carpet throw it down a bridge and let it sink SOPA AND PIPA ARE NOT GOOD IDEAS !!!

It honestly pains me that there are also some jobs on the line like the people from That Guy With The Glasses...i am really not a fan of their videos (i won't start talking why i don't like their site) but it honestly pains me that if it passes, well they won't have a job anymore. Making videos is what they do for a living and if it passes well it would honestly hurt me to see their site shut down.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010

Well guys. I'll spend my time mourning this by listening to pirated music. I get this feeling that the bill WILL get passed, and after the enormous shitfest that comes forth it'll either be reversed to control to population, or some guy from the government will come out and say:

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
I hope to God this thing never passes, and if it ever does, then the massive backlash will send legislators back-peddling.

At least, I hope that's what happens, 'cause I don't have the money to leave the country...
Those are the kind of bills that get passed hereabouts. This country tries to scare you with emotional issues like enforced gay marriage and requiring expectant mothers to carry around an abortion for 24 hours before considering having one, but those issues are a smokescreen. If nobody, nobody wants a bill passed, yet somehow it's before congress, it's time to be afraid. Because nobodies tend to be very powerful around here.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
EvilChameleon said:
Good lord, time to move to England.
my thoughts exactly. however, it is imperative to first learn English-English, not American-English.

OT: and there is still PIPA to also deal with.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
I'm certainly going to vote against everybody who supports it. For all the good that'll do.

On the other end of the responsibility spectrum, where's Anonymous when you need them?