South Korea Discovers StarCraft Addiction Drug

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
So South Korea found a way to cure video game addiction but nothing to prevent fan death [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death]? I'm not sure which is the bigger threat.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Goddam, I want to go to bed.
Alright, alright, go beddy by Rooty, sorry for keeping you up. Just remember, it's a friendly discussion, nothing more.

Counter: I never said gaming couldn't be addictive, I said it couldn't be an addiction. It can be an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder that manifests as gaming, but it can't addict due to not having a substance that alters the way the brain works.
Counter-Counter: The chemicals released when playing games, or gambling, or whatever, etc... is the same as having a substance alter your brain, just the brain altering itself.

Not a contradiction as I explain above, addiction can take place because there are some people - already with a mental disorder - who can focus in on games becoming "addicted" - fulfilling their own physical dependency, but the addiction isn't due to the gaming; that's the release/catharsis. If it wasn't a game, it could be anything else.
That is completely true, addiction does depend on the person's well being. But that is like saying "If he didn't stick his foot in crap he would have stuck it in something else," that's not the point. If it wasn't the game, it could be anything else. But in this case it is the game.

Ok, and this is definitely my last post until tomorrow afternoon on this.
Sorry if I'm keeping you up, just want a discussion.

[sup]Plus, you never call home, what's the deale-o![/sup]

Gaming can be addictive because it sets off endorphin/dopamine release. This isn't addiction but normal reaction to something that excites/intrigues us. It's the same way we feel when Mum gives us a hug or we get a really good burger.
I just had a disturbing image of a guy screaming "I WANT MORE HUGS!".......

People with a mental disorder can focus on gaming in the same way they can focus on the Bible, the works of Elvis or dressing up as a fox. That's not due to gaming.(equally, you can focus on them without having a mental condition: Grief, I loathe PC at times)
IF (and only if) there's a condition which activates when brought into contact with the lights/sounds/excitement levels of the games, it's still not an addiction but an obsessive-compulsive disorder, which can't be treated with the use of anti-depressants.
I completely agree with you in this, it does depend on the person. If we're going into OCD and Addiction definitions, I have no idea what's what, but personally I'd classify severe OCD as an addiction anyway.

Then again, "personally" doesn't get the research grants.

Overall, you can turn these kids into zombies to stop them playing games, but you're just turning them into zombies who can't play games, not kids who don't want to play any more. And you're doing a lot more damage to their systems than just leaving them alone to discover the joys outside gaming for themselves.
I think we're disagreeing about agreeing about disagreeing about agreeing. Or something like that, I get what you're trying to say but I don't agree with how you're saying it if that makes sense.

Treating gaming as an addiction just sweeps away the real addicts and the people who just want to play in one foul swoop, while ignoring some of the conditions that cause them to become "addicted".
While I did say that Video Game "addiction" (whateverthehell you want to call it) is very serious, I don't mean it as the "MOST SINGLE IMPORTANT ADDICTION EVAR" kind of way. It's serious for many people, yes, but obviously we have to take care of the addictions that give us street crime and gang shootouts first.

Seriously, no they don't. Constant release is only due to an imbalance in the brain chemicals which gaming, gambling, knitting or extreme ironing simply can't do. No physical carrier.
Flu can, Alcohol can, the Thyroid gland (Puberty) can. Gaming can't. Just physically impossible.
I apologize if I'm coming off as a little slow, but I'm not seeing what you're getting at. Alcohol can slowly kill your liver or whatever, yet you drink it when you're depressed and need to escape or in victory when you're partying, and your brain releases the endorphin thingamajigs. By "physically" do you mean affecting the body physically? 'Cause if that's the case, then playing games long enough can easily cause fatigue, negligence, and all sorts of stuff bad for the body.

Again, this is just a friendly discussion, if you want we can continue this via PM if necessary.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Vilcus said:
Last Bullet said:
The Great JT said:
We must destroy this drug! The Overmind wills it!
Worry not, young cerebrate. We shall assimilate with these tactical genii Terran, given time. Nothing shall stop The Swarm!
*Spawns 20 Overlords* The preperations for the brood are complete, we shall now attack with the full fury of the swarm... SEND IN THE MASS ZERGLINGS!

I find it funny how they are actually using a drug to curb video game addiction.

"Hmmm, he's having fun, it must be unhealthy! Qick someone pump him full of drugs with terrible side effects!"
I was supposed to be spawning Zerglings? Sorry, will Roaches do?

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
What about the control and/or placebo group? And did they receive fMRI scans as well?

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I took buproprion (aka Wellbutrin) for about a year, prescribed for depression and social anxiety..

At 150 mg twice a day, I bought a whole new wardrobe and started dating 6 women within the first three months after I started it. Before that, I barely ever had a date.

So I thought maybe I was on a little too much, and cut the dose to 150 mg a day. That seemed just right. I was much more outgoing and friendly on just the 150mg. I'm like: "so THIS is what it is like to be normal."

After a year it was like "okay been there done that" and I've been my usual old self ever since. I'll tell you that I did stop biting my finger nails while on it. I was playing a lot of Battlezone online back then so I don't think it was much of a cure in that regard.

But that was my little adventure with manipulating brain chemistry. I'm glad I gave it a try.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Fearzone said:
I took buproprion (aka Wellbutrin) for about a year, prescribed for depression and social anxiety..

At 150 mg twice a day, I bought a whole new wardrobe and started dating 6 women within the first three months after I started it. Before that, I barely ever had a date.

So I thought maybe I was on a little too much, and cut the dose to 150 mg a day. That seemed just right. I was much more outgoing and friendly on just the 150mg. I'm like: "so THIS is what it is like to be normal."

After a year it was like "okay been there done that" and I've been my usual old self ever since. I'll tell you that I did stop biting my finger nails while on it. I was playing a lot of Battlezone online back then so I don't think it was much of a cure in that regard.

But that was my little adventure with manipulating brain chemistry. I'm glad I gave it a try.
Jay-zeus, 150mg? When I was on medication I only had 5mg, though that amount still affected me well enough. Now I've just stopped weening off, and aside from being a bit more pissy than usual for a while, I'm fine.

That's my adventure with brain chemistry, and I am glad I took it when I needed to. Though if you needed 150mg, it must have been intense, my heart's out for you, man.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Anyone else think even if they're "cured" it's going to be REALLY easy for them to relapse? All they have to hear is three words: NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED and it's back to net for them. Should've just used resocalization instead. Of course then you need to watch out for ghosts and Protoss.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
Naheal said:
Vilcus said:
*Spawns 20 Overlords* The preperations for the brood are complete, we shall now attack with the full fury of the swarm... SEND IN THE MASS ZERGLINGS!

I find it funny how they are actually using a drug to curb video game addiction.

"Hmmm, he's having fun, it must be unhealthy! Qick someone pump him full of drugs with terrible side effects!"
I was supposed to be spawning Zerglings? Sorry, will Roaches do?
Sure, spawn Hydralisks to in the event the Terran bring Banshees against our swarm.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Bupropion: Now used in Game Addiction and against Government Defiance!

Respect Nation Bupropion

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Jumplion said:
Jay-zeus, 150mg? When I was on medication I only had 5mg, though that amount still affected me well enough. Now I've just stopped weening off, and aside from being a bit more pissy than usual for a while, I'm fine.

That's my adventure with brain chemistry, and I am glad I took it when I needed to. Though if you needed 150mg, it must have been intense, my heart's out for you, man.
Different meds have different potencies. 150 mg of Wellbutrin (buproprion) is a small dose--150 mg twice a day is a fairly typical starting dose, but seemed to affect me stronger than it does most people. So, I'm not a total whack job! Cheers!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
samsonguy920 said:
And then there is the situation where you do take drugs to help a mental disorder. You take the drug and you feel better. Once you feel better, you stop taking the drug. What's the point?
The point is that actually you frequently don't stop taking it, because if you do, you stop feeling better. Less so with depression, which often isn't recurring, but for things that are generally lifelong like bipolar disorder, it's a fairly common problem that people will take the medication, feel better for a while, decide they don't need it, stop taking it, and relapse. Some people will stick with it from when they first start, some people will take several failures after thinking they feel better, and some of them never learn (and sometimes people will even stop taking them and never get worse again, but it's pretty much impossible to tell ahead of time which people will fall into that category and/or how long it will last).
I understand that, but a lot of drugs that help with mental or emotional disease have to be taken for the rest of the person's life or until it is actually determined that the disease has ceased its own effect. But unless this person is interred in a facility or even incarcerated, they have no one to really go to besides themself to know that they should continue. Many will go through their current prescription, decide they feel fine and not renew when they should actually continue regardless of how they feel. Then the cycle just starts all over again.
But this is dealing with extreme cases of actual schizophrenia, psychosis, and other disorders. Addiction can be counted as a disorder especially where alcohol and drugs are concerned, but I have my doubts that addiction to a game actually requires or can even be accurately treated by a drug. Especially when that same drug might cause other and even worse problems for the individual.
I think you can sense I have a strong distrust of drugs, and that is true. In reading this article it just seems to be treated as a shortcut, like nobody in Korea wants to bother to actually take a break from their computers.
And that's horrible.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Reminds me of the Capcom slogan,

"Winners don't do drugs"

On the other hand, stimpacks reverse the effect

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
That's interesting, I wonder what Bupropion [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion#Adverse_effects] does.

Oh, catalyses and increases (sometimes severe) hypertension, increases the chance of seizure. Of the 540,000 people tested in the UK only 60 had fatal results. Three cases of liver toxicity, and one case of clitoral priapism.

Not including basic adverse reactions like dry mouth, nausea, insomnia, tremor, excessive sweating and tinnitus.

And reports of unusual behavior changes, agitation and hostility, are just reports. As is the rare cases of Mania. As is Psychosis, delusions, hallucinations, paranoia, and confusion.

But you can always stop it, although cold turkey does occasionally lead to dystonia, irritability, anxiety, mania, headache, aches and pains.

But at least you're not addicted to Warcraft. Better living through chemicals!
True story this.

I was on anti depressants once (2 diff types) and they messed me up like seriously. As in making me alot WORSE I was close to suicide I was crying all night like a little girl.

I stopped taking them and got better through cognitive behavioural self therapy.

my life was SERIOUSLY interuppted and I've been set back a long time on my career path.

These chemicals can seriously harm your health, more than they help it, and DEFINATELY change your mood/behaviour/functioning, but this is my own personal experience, seek medical advice is you are depressed, ask for an alternative to pharmaceuticals perhaps if there is one availaible

as cliche as it sounds tetrahydracannibinol and cannabidyol in the right mixes is the only thing thats worked for me so far but there are alot of downsides to that too :(

its funny when illegal drugs>real drugs at treating certain medical conditions yet everyone fears that illegal drug through years of misinformation and propaganda and will do anything to keep it illegal despite the benefits said substance may bring to millions of people, because of the warped inexperienced,fearful perspective they have.

This news is not good new imo, alot of people will suffer, those who are misdiagnosed with a gaming addiction could end up with detrimental effects to their mental health cos everyone is pushing big pharma

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
ShadowKirby said:
I wonder how much this drug affects other activities. Maybe they just play less because they are too high on Bupropion to do anything.
Indeed. I propose a new study!

Gratuitous amounts of sex - can it cure the Starcraft addiction?

Assuming the study proves successful, we can move on to studying the effects of same treatment as a prevention method to Starcraft 2 addiction. Or Mafia 2 addiction. Or whatever the hell else we can think of as a reason to apply that treatment.

Any volunteers? :p

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
But unless this person is interred in a facility or even incarcerated, they have no one to really go to besides themself to know that they should continue. Many will go through their current prescription, decide they feel fine and not renew when they should actually continue regardless of how they feel. Then the cycle just starts all over again.
Well, the idea is to have them keep checking in with their doctor on a semi-regular basis and to get their family members or whoever else on board with the whole thing. If you do just leave people entirely to themselves, yes, you're definitely more likely to run into that problem. A good doctor (or social worker, or whoever happens to be in charge of managing treatment) and a patient who's serious about trying to avoid that will have some kind of plan in place to deal with it preemptively, though, through education and various resources. It can't solve it completely, but it does help.

samsonguy920 said:
I have my doubts that addiction to a game actually requires or can even be accurately treated by a drug.
[...]
I think you can sense I have a strong distrust of drugs, and that is true.
I don't have a particular trust or distrust of them. To me, they're just tools. I'm rather familiar with a lot of them, how they work, what they're used for and why, what's good and bad about them, and so on. That said, do I think that game addiction requires medication? No, certainly not in all cases. Probably not in most. Likely not even in many. It's always useful to have another tool available, though.

Sometimes therapy alone can help a lot with many different things, helping a person understand why they do things or feel the way they do and learn skills or healthier ways to deal with what happens in their life. Sometimes it's hard for some people to even approach working on things that way, and medication of some sort can help them get to the point that they can actually do that work successfully.

I'm generally highly in favor of not using only medication to treat just about anything psychiatric/psychological; there's a bunch of research that shows much better outcomes on average if you combine therapy with it. There are many tools available to doctors to treat things like this, and the trick is being able to figure out both which ones to use in a given situation and also which ones not to use. Unfortunately sometimes they're too overworked seeing too many patients to be able to keep up with the latest research on what works, and you sometimes end up with medications being used when they shouldn't be or not used when they should be and medication/therapy not used together as well as they can be, but mostly they do at least have a genuine desire to try to get it right, despite imperfect knowledge and limited resources and time.

If it turns out that bupropion can help with game addiction, that's useful knowledge to have and another tool available, which is never a bad thing. The tricky part is making sure doctors and patients (some of them can be a pain in the ass about trying to demand treatments that make no sense in their particular situation or wanting a quick fix pill without having to put in any effort themselves) only use it when it makes sense to and continue to remember, use, and take advantage of all the other options available.

(This is kind of one of my "things", and I could go on all day responding to every post in this thread in an attempt to correct dozens of misconceptions (and also point out which ones actually have some truth to them, because some certainly do), but I'd probably just drive everyone nuts. Heh.)