South Korea Discovers StarCraft Addiction Drug

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
It is either the drug side effects or starting to speak zerg. Choose the lesser of two evils.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Captain Pooptits said:
Upbeat Zombie said:
Starcraft is a fun game. But I didn't know its the new crack in South Korea...
little out of the loop, are we? its their national sport.
No I knew that. I just meant I didn't know that some people there were addicted to the game, the same way as if it were a drug.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Jumplion said:
lma0nade said:
Jumplion said:
I've said before, video game addiction is just as legitimate and serious as any other addiction. People can be addicted to gambling, sex, various alcohol and drugs, coffee, adrenaline rushes, TV, your iPhone, etc...and video games are no exception and why would they be an exception? Video games can be just as addictive and life-consuming as anything else and it should be treated like any other serious addiction. It's all about responsibility and balance.
Wrong. People can get obsessed over video games. I dont think people can get addicted to video games because with an actual addiction like drugs, it physically alters your brain so you need more of it. Video games dont do that.
...I'm sorry, personally, I thinks that's completely and utterly false. No no no no no no no. Just no. I'm really sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk, but just no no.

Video Games, and many electronics, as well as gambling, do that all the time, you know that feeling when a boss destroyed you over and over again and then after hours of training and leveling up your character you finally defeat him? Yeah, we gamers thrive on that feeling. The high of beating that boss and we continue playing in hopes of another high.

Now put that feeling until you're dependent on it. Your real life sucks, you want to escape, and so you find a way to escape through video games. Problem is you let it consume you too easily and you don't try healthy doses. That's the case for a lot of addicts, they just get into it because they want to escape.

And what's the difference between "obsessed" and "addicted"? Seriously, that's not a big enough difference for me to really differentiate between the two.

Typical addiction syndromes include;
Skipping work for the addiction.
Skipping school.
Dependency.
Lack of social skills.
etc...

Now just replace "addiction syndromes" with "Halo 3 launch" and you get the idea.
I agree with you I just don't think a pill is the answer. It isn't going to change anything. I can understand giving meds for a cocaine, heroine, smoking and drinking addictions. Those are physically as well as mentally addictive. And the pill should treat the physical part of the addiction. People should be learning how to deal with it not taking a pill to mask it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
squid5580 said:
I agree with you I just don't think a pill is the answer. It isn't going to change anything. I can understand giving meds for a cocaine, heroine, smoking and drinking addictions. Those are physically as well as mentally addictive. And the pill should treat the physical part of the addiction. People should be learning how to deal with it not taking a pill to mask it.
Pills can have varying success rates for different people as it mostly depends on the individual and his/her mental condition beforehand. For extreme cases of video game "addiction" (whatever you want to call it) I can see a reason for giving them a pill. For someone who just did a weekend splurge of Call of Duty? No, I don't think a pill's necessary.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
I don't mind the existence of this drug if it's only taken by choice. Other then that I would actually advise people not to try this drug until doctors and scientists have a full understanding of it and even then only use it as a final, FINAL resort. As troublesome as an addiction may be, taking a drug that messes with your thought process could cause even more problems.