Space Marine "Rips Off" Gears of War

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Agarth said:
I'm going to quote Total Biscuit completely right now. "If anyone openly says this game is a rip-off of Gears of War I will literally go to their house and beat them to death with the 4th edition rule book. Warhammer has inspired several things. Starcraft Marines are the most obvious. The Lancer, definitely. Warhammer 40k has been around for at least 2 decades."

How long has Gears of War been out? Not 2 decades, people. Do your research and stop crying about something that isn't true. And GoW's gameplay was based around cover based-shooting. UltraMarines don't take cover because they ARE cover. Ask Total Biscuit. (Or any other Warhammer fanboy) I will even help Total Biscuit curb stomp you if you give the same retarded, and false, argument as any other GoW fanboy would.

Did Gears of War play like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb50aAFiOpM
"I will beat you with the 4th edition rules" made me giggle.
A sound beating with a dread sock would also suffice. That would be a metal Chaos Dreadnought put into a sock and swung like a flail.

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
Well, the game plays with a feel that combines Gears of War and God of War (God of Gears? THE OMNISSIAH!). Then again, the credits list thanks to Vigil Games, published by THQ and responsible for Darksiders. The heavy feel and mechanics of combat likely stem from therein. Still, I prefer the mobility and kinetics of Space Marine to GoW. GoW does machismo well, but this is true war.

And war... war never changes...

And neither does Ron...

Seriously, imagine that Ron Perlman is actually Malcador the Sigillite. Or vice versa. And is still alive even in M41. Would that not be made of Epic Win by the Light of His Countenance? You'd have to roll Snake Eyes just to look at it and not flee like a Ork boy who just realized he's the only one left of his mob.

Did I lose everyone yet?

Good.

Dec 27, 2010
It's a reviewer for a games mag; what did you expect, genuine intelligence? I'm joking of course, but a lot of game journalists from platform exclusive mags will likely say things to please the fanboys (ie; every third-person shooter is a Gears clone, CoD's worse than Halo despite the fact both of them have been stagnating for quite a while).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Codeman90 said:
A sound beating with a dread sock would also suffice. That would be a metal Chaos Dreadnought put into a sock and swung like a flail.
Unfortunately, they switched from metal to resin models.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Codeman90 said:
Even for Chaos? Unless you buy Forgeworld I don't think the Chaos model range has been updated since 4th edition.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Of course, given that the review is from Official Xbox Magazine, the bias would be apparent.
http://www.oxm.co.uk/33345/reviews/warhammer-40000-space-marine-review/

I get that people are allowed to dislike games for their own reasons, but there is a difference between that and making every comparison in your review to an exclusive title for your respective console.

Yeah, I'm bitching, but it is bullshit reviews like this that barely account for anything the game offers in favor of trashing it in comparison to your latest cash cow that is hurting the way games are judged. Space Marine is supposed to be the anti Gears of War, yet that is all OXM can be bothered to talk about.
So, they're accusing Space Marines of ripping off Gears of War...when 40K has been around longer than STARCRAFT. (Since, you know, the implied actual rip-off. This is not to say there's anything wrong with Starcraft since I LIKE IT.) That's...laughable, and pathetic.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Codeman90 said:
Waaghpowa said:
Codeman90 said:
Even for Chaos? Unless you buy Forgeworld I don't think the Chaos model range has been updated since 4th edition.
for everything, no more metal models, all resin.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Is there some reason this thread has become how 40k ripped off Gears? I mean seriously, look at the stories behind each,

40k: grim darkness...only war, etc.
Gears: on the planet serra(cerra?)(sarra?) Imulsion caused everyone to kill each other and then the locust came out of the ground, etc., big booms, gun fire, dead people, mass graves and trench feet are back.
40k:the Tyranids put Genestealers on planets and wait a few years before coming en masse to chomp and nom on the humans.
Gears: The locust come out of holes in the ground and kill people
40k: Trygons come out of big holes in the ground and break tanks and crush dreams of actually having a generation live through a point where there is no mass genocide
Gears: Big, burly, manly me- scratch that- big, burly, manly bricks with either really useless armor or they just can't find a full set for everyone, comes in and one squad (actually just you) kills everything in it's path on the way to blow op some big-ass bomb that kills everything, wait, no that didn't happen.
40k: You are one of the big, burly, manly, bri- sorry scratch that again- big, burly, manly, genetically-enhanced, kidnapped/willing victim, brain-washed freak that kills big green things... and purple things and yellow things and ugly things and... pretty much anything not human, and they make a point that YOU'RE the one doing it, and yet your squad actually helps at times
Gears: Hide behind cover,blind-fire, and hope that the gray, topless, bricks on the other side of the wall don't start their chainsaws swor- sorry again - guns and cut you to pieces
40k: You get your chaing- never mind- Chainsword and hope the teeth don't catch on each other as you saw through the afore-mentioned things. Oh yeah, and you gotta wade into them because your damn issued pistol does almost nothing against the dangerous shit you gotta kill.
Gears: the only one-shot kill worth anything is the pistol, or that sniper if you can actually aim at something a foot away...
40k: you hide behind other walking tanks to recharge your shields
Gears: you hide behind un-breakable garden pots to heal the piece of your head that's missing

I'm sure there's other things I've missed but I ran out of ideas towards the end. All in all, GW had their games out before Gears, they weren't 3-rd person, but who cares whether or not they're "clones", come on, Gears is not that great of a game, there is no story,(shut-up fan-ny's, you know there isn't), all you do through out the game is hide behind flower pots, hope you don't get noticed/smelled/heard/etc. by the blind bitches and, if you get lucky, shoot at a few gray bricks.
SM you kind've have to go into it knowing the fluff beforehand, and besides, anything that lasts longer than twenty years in gaming has to have some kind of staying power, even if the earlier games were a bit of shit sauteed with a bit of cement batter for movement (if you get the batter reference, you earn 10 points)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Except the notion that every game should have totally unique gameplay mechanics, story and world elements and so on is complete bullshit and the idea itself needs to be done away with. For starters, there's the point that true originality is rare, but we'll let that go for now. Gameplay mechanics, to me, are like cinematographic techniques in movies, or writing techniques in novels. It shouldn't be a point against a game if it uses the mechanics of another game if those mechanics work really well and are fun. Every medium does stuff like this and they always have. Take what works and use it to express your own ideas. Build upon what others have done to create a new experience, learning from their advancements in the process. Otherwise, games would need to be constantly reinventing the wheel with every game.

Of course, I've neither played Gears of War, nor Space Marines. I have played Warhammer 40k, though, which was an RTS as I recall, so I don't see how it could be ripping off Gears. Besides, it's rather unfair to accuse a game of "ripping you off" when, by the same token, you're already ripping off something else. I believe Robert Heinlein invented the power-armored space marine in Starship Troopers, and Gears of War doesn't really add anything at all to that character archetype, so unless the reviewer also marks down Gears for ripping off material, it's just so much smoke and noise.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Zhukov said:
Uh, yeah... it does exactly that.

Sure, WH40K obviously beat GoW to the whole grunty-men-with-no-personailty-killing-aliens-while-dressed-as-trucks thing. But the gameplay? Yeah, it's blatantly obvious that they were looking over Epic's shoulder.

Whether you consider that a bad thing or not is another matter. Games grabbing ideas from one another is hardly new. Hell, the whole industry basically runs on inspiration/plagiarism.
Wut. Tell me like at what point in any Gears Of War game can you go straight charging at people swinging your chainsaw around and kill everyone in a 180 degree angle in front of you. Because you do that in the first wave of the demo.........Yah there's the part where you have those little suicide bombers which forces you to do some cover based shooting but there's no mechanic which sticks you to cover at all and once you clear the suicide bombers you can go back to close combat again. The only thing it shares with GoW is guns and camera, otherwise CoD, SW:BF, BF3 have more in common with Gears of War than Space Marine.

I mean I played like what 10 minutes of GoW? And all I remember was running from cover to cover and any attempt to do what I would do in Space Marine other than shoot people I would be calling for my partner to revive me.

Waaghpowa said:
Codeman90 said:
It's still a good thing though, since you had to buy a glue for metal models that didn't work very well unless the models has some thing that locked them in place. Resin is still better since it sticks together unlike super glue (personally I have never encountered anything that fails to live up to the name as it does not just for GW's but for all Super glue in general it's terrible).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Warforger said:
Waaghpowa said:
Codeman90 said:
It's still a good thing though, since you had to buy a glue for metal models that didn't work very well unless the models has some thing that locked them in place. Resin is still better since it sticks together unlike super glue (personally I have never encountered anything that fails to live up to the name as it does not just for GW's but for all Super glue in general it's terrible).
Oh I know, I have "fond" memories of pinning joints together and gluing my fingers together.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
i wouldn't say it's coping, gears and marines are pretty similar and that's great and here's why; gears was amazing, so marines should be amazing to right?

the art and design - very differnet
gameplay -similar (and that's what counts people)
story - OMG SO DIFFERENT
concept - similar
weapons - similar, but this time it's a chainsaw sword, not a lancer (i guess a chainsaw sword is just a chainsaw, isn't it?)
soundtrack - not sure, but gears is pretty iconic and i'm absolutely sure warhammer has an iconic soundtrack to

now here's where it becomes interesting

fan base - once this game comes out, it will be the exact same

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
TheKasp said:
Wow... I hope this is irony or you have to tell me under what rock you live that you've never even HEARD of Warhammer 40k, an over 20y old franchise.
To be fair, while 40k is rather old, it's also rather obscure. It's only the "geek" portions of the culture that have any direct exposure to it.

A lot of modern video games, movies and other entertainment take their queues from it, but they never actually mention it. Thus, the general populace has no idea it exists in the first place.

ben117

Sep 2, 2009
'omg this gAme is a faiLZ of a rip of of gears of war omg it is so gay, derp,'
wtf people, so becuse this game is a third person shooter featuring brick shithouses as protganists results in this game being a gears clone, seriously if people PLAYED this game and not made that assumption on gameplay footage alone they would feel the different. There is NO COVER SYSTEM as you are an adeptus astratus ultra, the ultimate warrior from one of the most powerfull space marine chapters in the imperium of man this game empowers you, as you wade trough literal hordes of orks whilst gears relies on small scale gurrila combat fighting for survival. There is the difference.

BROTHERS lETS BURN THE CHOAS WORSHIPING HERATICS AS THEy SPREAD LIES AND FILTH AGAINST OUR NOBLE BRETHERIN

COURAGE AND HONOUR

WE MARCH FOR MCRAGGE

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
Dear microsoft
Next time put some research in before you call a game a rip off.
Warhammer 40K existed before GoW, by your standards GoW ripped of the Space Marine and Tyranid (spelling) story...Oh wait they did.
Good day.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
ben117 said:
'omg this gAme is a faiLZ of a rip of of gears of war omg it is so gay, derp,'
wtf people, so becuse this game is a third person shooter featuring brick shithouses as protganists results in this game being a gears clone, seriously if people PLAYED this game and not made that assumption on gameplay footage alone they would feel the different. There is NO COVER SYSTEM as you are an adeptus astratus ultra, the ultimate warrior from one of the most powerfull space marine chapters in the imperium of man this game empowers you, as you wade trough literal hordes of orks whilst gears relies on small scale gurrila combat fighting for survival. There is the difference.

BROTHERS lETS BURN THE CHOAS WORSHIPING HERATICS AS THEy SPREAD LIES AND FILTH AGAINST OUR NOBLE BRETHERIN

COURAGE AND HONOUR

WE MARCH FOR MCRAGGE
How long have you followed 40k? the boy-scouts AKA blue boys AKA Ultramarines are the most boring chapter in the Imperium, come on, sure they're one of the most powerful - in numbers that is - but why is it that everyone thinks they are the ultimate space marine, they may have written the codex but who cares, I'm still waiting for the 40k game where you can choose between the one of like maybe two or three chapters, the eldar and the orks, when the blue-hype goes over is when they might actually start making better games

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
I can see that. Space Marine is a game that would be hard to pull off in a style outside of the 3rd person shooter.
40K space marines are lumbering juggernauts of carnage, and the game pulls off the feeling really well and plays really well despite the game play being derivative of Gears of War.