Space Marine "Rips Off" Gears of War

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Phenakist said:
HAH, such complete bullshit, it's gonna look like Warhammer, and play like Darksiders, simple as that.

DesertHawk said:
As to the argument of "yeah, well, Warhammer came first!"....that is completely irrelevant. The property of Warhammer 40k may predate the Gears of War franchise by a fair bit, but this is Warhammer's first foray into the Third Person Chunk-Head Shooter genre. A genre which Gears of War is numero uno of, and currently sets the standard for (for better or worse...). Again, keep in mind the whole of the gaming industry, and try not to get bent out of shape when someone connects those dots.
The fact that Gears "occupies this space" is completely irrelevant, there's no dots to join, it's the Warhammer universe, it's chain swords, bolters (big guns) hack slash, blood and guts, that's who the Space Marines are and have done for many years and have made no apologies for it. Just because Gears got it's foot in the 3rd person door first doesn't mean they can cock-block a space marine game and have it dragged to the ground for comparisons against it... and lets not forget what the lancer reminded everyone who had seen a Space Marine before of.

SO yeah, stupid comparison, it's glorified trolling really.
this so, this +100

OT

I always found Gears gameplay to be horrible and slow paced. I just hate being stuck behind a wall and the camera angles get annoying after a while. Space Marine felt like a change of pace smashing tons of Deamons and Orks. Getting into the middle of combat, taking charge being badass that's the whole propose of being a Space Marine you aren't suppose to hiding. I always disliked Gears for taking all the credit when anything is done if a 3rd person game. If it's not Gears, it's God of War which I find very unfair that so many people are so closed minded by popularity to see that something else came first.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Hmmm, I dunno, I only played the demo of Warhammer 40k, but I can tell you that I had a lot more fun with that demo, than I had when I played through the first half of the "Gears 2" campaign with a friend...

Also, I didn't see much similarity between the two games. "Gears" has wallhugging, while "Space Marine" has charge-in-guns-blazing-and-slaughter-'em-with-yer-chainsword-when-close-enough. Just sayin' :p

DrWilhelm

May 5, 2009
Damn, and here was me thinking one was meant to actually play a game before reviewing it, rather than just skimming through a folder of screenshots. What's that? It uses the same weapon switching mechanic? Well fuck me, slap some wool on it and call it Dolly the power armoured Sheep. I hear the game also has lots of melee combat and you can dodge by rolling, I see somebody's been playing The Witcher 2 if you see what I mean, hurr hurr. Now if you'll excuse me I have some rather important glue to sniff.

Come on, if a d-pad weapon swap mechanic is the only example you can cite, your accusation that "Space Marine is a Gears clone" starts to sound spectacularly hollow. Borderlands did the same thing, I guess that must be a Gears clone as well. Good Gods, by the same logic Mass Effect and Deus Ex: Human Revolution must both be wearing hideous Marcus Fenix flesh masks. They both have third person cover systems, right?

Seriously, I can see that the art style is kind of similar, but aside from that Space Marine plays like a more refined Dynasty Warriors than anything else.

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
Versuvius said:
Warhammer came first, 40k Space Marines were the first power armoured brick shithouses etc etc. Fuckoff Xbox, fuck off Gears of War fanboys, fuck off...Xbox AGAIN!
Bro...can you not hate on fanboys of GoW? Personally I fucking love Gears, I own every book, every game, played the beta, and beg to die when I don't get my daily fix of Gears...But that doesn't mean I'm fucking the one saying "SPACE MARINES RIPPED MY GAME OFF", I honestly didn't even care that Space Marines is coming out or whatever.

In fact 90% of the GoW community really doesn't give a rats ass about other games because we aren't like the Halo or CoD communities. Go read the EPIC forums for Gears... I haven't seen a single post about Space Marines there, and I visit it every day. We really don't care about other games and that means, we don't really ***** about "ripoffs" or other things. So please...back off.

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
EHKOS said:
I'd say they ripped off the omega symbol and fury thing from God of War. But yeah, 40k did come first.
The fury mode I'd believe. But the ultramarines's insignia is as old as the warhammer 40k franchise itself.

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
Mistermixmaster said:
Hmmm, I dunno, I only played the demo of Warhammer 40k, but I can tell you that I had a lot more fun with that demo, than I had when I played through the first half of the "Gears 2" campaign with a friend...

Also, I didn't see much similarity between the two games. "Gears" has wallhugging, while "Space Marine" has charge-in-guns-blazing-and-slaughter-'em-with-yer-chainsword-when-close-enough. Just sayin' :p
Chainsword sounds like chainsaw attached to a gun a little bit... And wallhugging hardly comes into play. But I'm not here to call "RIPOFF", because I don't really care. Gears is amazing, it's simple as that, I don't care about the rest too much...And if you tried the GoW 3 beta, you might have enjoyed the scenery and other things. It was pretty amazing to play <3

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Warhammer 40k may have arrived first, but it is a table top game originally, not a shooter. Gears came way after, but has been in video gaming far longer. This is the first step they(Warhammer) have taken away from RTS therefore it can thus be called a rip off or clone as it can more than likely be a clone of the game considering this is its first attempt at anything outside of table top or RTS. Stop complaining if someone noticed these similarities and felt the need to point them out and STOP COMPLAINING IF IT IS NOT AS GOOD IN THEIR OPINION, a game review is a personal opinion of the developer and if he/she felt the need to point it out and if he/she felt that way than THEY CAN BLOODY SAY IT WITHOUT BEING CRITICIZED BY ANGRY FANS OF THE GAME.

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
mrhappy1489 said:
Warhammer 40k may have arrived first, but it is a table top game originally, not a shooter. Gears came way after, but has been in video gaming far longer. This is the first step they(Warhammer) have taken away from RTS therefore it can thus be called a rip off or clone as it can more than likely be a clone of the game considering this is its first attempt at anything outside of table top or RTS. Stop complaining if someone noticed these similarities and felt the need to point them out and STOP COMPLAINING IF IT IS NOT AS GOOD IN THEIR OPINION, a game review is a personal opinion of the developer and if he/she felt the need to point it out and if he/she felt that way than THEY CAN BLOODY SAY IT WITHOUT BEING CRITICIZED BY ANGRY FANS OF THE GAME.
BRO, TAKE A CHILL PILL! Just saying. He's not being criticized for it, we're stating our opinions in response. Like, honestly, the one ruining the etiquette of this conversation is you. Listen to some MoS (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/4134-The-Dead-Dont-Shuffle-Left-4-Dead) And have some fun, not flip over a discussion you don't even have to post in.

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
Psychotic-ishSOB said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Of course, given that the review is from Official Xbox Magazine, the bias would be apparent.
http://www.oxm.co.uk/33345/reviews/warhammer-40000-space-marine-review/

I get that people are allowed to dislike games for their own reasons, but there is a difference between that and making every comparison in your review to an exclusive title for your respective console.

Yeah, I'm bitching, but it is bullshit reviews like this that barely account for anything the game offers in favor of trashing it in comparison to your latest cash cow that is hurting the way games are judged. Space Marine is supposed to be the anti Gears of War, yet that is all OXM can be bothered to talk about.
Ok. First of all, OXM is not paid by Microsoft, nor are the people there because they are xbox fanboys. They are paid by Future US, a neutral corporation, that publishes OXM, PlayStation: The Official Magazine, PC Gamer, and own GamesRadar. They're not biased, they're just opinionated. The reviewer even gave it a 7, meaning he liked it. ***** all you want, but calling their credibility into question just because you don't agree with the reviewer means you don't know shit about the games industry.
Thank you for pointing that out. I hate people that think everything is a biased opinion because of console choice and other retarded things. Reviews are written completely WITHOUT bias. He's comparing a game to another, in order to show that it lost out on some originality, he's not saying it was bad.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Spencer Brelje said:
Mistermixmaster said:
Chainsword sounds like chainsaw attached to a gun a little bit... And wallhugging hardly comes into play. But I'm not here to call "RIPOFF", because I don't really care. Gears is amazing, it's simple as that, I don't care about the rest too much...And if you tried the GoW 3 beta, you might have enjoyed the scenery and other things. It was pretty amazing to play <3

^Definitely ripping off the Lancer, right? Especially so since the Chainsword is older than the Lancer *facepalm*

Well, I dunno about your comment about scenery... GoW 1 and 2 pretty much consisted of shades of grey and brown...

... Sorry if I come across as a bit harsh, it's just that I don't like how everything suddenly is "ripping off" other games without any ground to base such claims on just because they're in a somewhat similar genre.

What's next, Persona-series for "ripping off" Final Fantasy? Deus Ex: Human Revolution for "ripping off" Mass Effect 2/Crysis 2? (I'm not kidding, I've heard people claim this...) >_<

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
Mistermixmaster said:
Spencer Brelje said:
Mistermixmaster said:
*cut*

^Definitely ripping off the Lancer, right? Especially so since the Chainsword is older than the Lancer *facepalm*

Well, I dunno about your comment about scenery... GoW 1 and 2 pretty much consisted of shades of grey and brown...

... Sorry if I come across as a bit harsh, it's just that I don't like how everything suddenly is "ripping off" other games without any ground to base such claims on just because they're in a somewhat similar genre.

What's next, Persona-series for "ripping off" Final Fantasy? Deus Ex: Human Revolution for "ripping off" Mass Effect 2/Crysis 2? (I'm not kidding, I've heard people claim this...) >_<
Of course I know what you're saying, and I have no problem with the harshness, because you're right, and I probably should've looked it up first. But here's some gameplay from GoW 3 for you to see the color palette.

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
I don't care if it gets compared to Gears and I don't care if it only gets a 7/10, but to call it a clone is laughable. Yes you can argue that Gears got into the TPS genre first, but, the fact is that anyone that actually plays 40k can tell you that the squad in space marine plays pretty much how you'd handle a space marine squad on the table. Just fire a few salvos as you close in on the enemy. Which kinda means that they didn't have much choice on the gameplay, if it didn't play like that it wouldn't be a space marine.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Meh, no reason to get worked up over an uneducated and uninformed opinion. It would seriously be a far cry to call Gears unique and original in any way.

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
Cridhe said:
Meh, no reason to get worked up over an uneducated and uninformed opinion. It would seriously be a far cry to call Gears unique and original in any way.
The gameplay may not be original, but the story (Depth, not the surface), is way beyond being a copy.

Temple of Dregs

Oct 14, 2010
Ah, hell. I gots to start reading through these forums more often. Good read.

Clone [noun] - 2. a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style: All the fashion models seemed to be clones of one another.

I think the main problem here is everyone that's upset is taking "Clone" as an insult to Space Marine. Reviewers make mention of "X is a Y clone" all the time and usually it's more of a "If you know anything about x you'll have a basic understanding of y". I really don't think he meant it as an insult. He even said "At its simplest, Space Marine is a Gears clone with a hair-raising health system".

His main complaint that the game decides not ignore strategy for full-throttle action but doesn't really go "full-throttle" enough. (I cant believe I just typed that sentence.) I agree with him. I'd say 7 out of 10 as well.

Also for the hell of it:
Valid [adjective] - 1. sound; just; well-founded: a valid reason.

Also, why are you going to XBOX mag for reviews anyways?

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
EVERY THIRD PERSON SHOOTER RIPPED OFF MAX PAYNE!
Bro...Just...Go away. Now. I bet you there were more 3rd person shooters born before Max was even a name.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
mrhappy1489 said:
I remember Space Hulk on the amiga which was a shooter which i believe may have come out just a little bit before the xbox 360 :p

It had strategy and first person shooting...not bad for 1993 :)