Spambots constantly on this forum

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
not gaming related, but can whoever the admins are on this website PLEASE just add a captcha or something that's required to make posts or comments.

seems like literally every single day this place is being spammed like hell by bots, mods then have to delete all the threads. the spam threads disappear for a few hours, just so they can all come right back the next day.

it baffles me why something as simple as a captcha hasn't been added to forums to stop all the spambots like this yet.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Yoshi178 said:
it baffles me why something as simple as a captcha hasn't been added to forums to stop all the spambots like this yet.
Because there's no one here who can do that. There's literally no one still employed on this site who has the ability/know-how to alter or change any of the site code.

Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's been pointed out countless times just how stupid this whole situation is.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Yoshi178 said:
not gaming related, but can whoever the admins are on this website PLEASE just add a captcha or something that's required to make posts or comments.

seems like literally every single day this place is being spammed like hell by bots, mods then have to delete all the threads. the spam threads disappear for a few hours, just so they can all come right back the next day.

Yeah, us mods and the staff are working together on a solution for the spam problem. Hold on, it should be under control soon :)

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
In the meantime we've added new Moderators who are holding the line against the late night spambots.

I'm delighted to say that they've done a tremendous job in doing so: I was staying up all night dealing with bots but now that they're on board I am managing to actually get some sleep.

...mmmm....soft pillow....mmmm...sleep...

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
We used to have a captcha, and there were many a fun adventure with it. I don't doubt that the mods are working hard to fix this issue, they are normally very quick to sort this kind of thing out.

Jan 19, 2011
I agree; bots plauge this site and especially during the early mornings. To give the bots credit though, at least they make the forum seem more active.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Basement Cat said:
In the meantime we've added new Moderators who are holding the line against the late night spambots.

I'm delighted to say that they've done a tremendous job in doing so: I was staying up all night dealing with bots but now that they're on board I am managing to actually get some sleep.

...mmmm....soft pillow....mmmm...sleep...
and we all know how much sleep cats need :p

fear not.. they will fall to my fire hose of justiceness!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I swear when I first joined there was a 48hr wait before I could create my own topics. What happened to that?
Last night there was nearly 7 pages of spam!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Padwolf said:
We used to have a captcha, and there were many a fun adventure with it. I don't doubt that the mods are working hard to fix this issue, they are normally very quick to sort this kind of thing out.
The problem with the previous implementation of the captcha, and I said this at the time, was that it was implemented in the wrong place. It should've been put in account creation, not in the forums themselves. Of course the fact the it only popped up at random didn't help.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
The problem with the previous implementation of the captcha, and I said this at the time, was that it was implemented in the wrong place. It should've been put in account creation, not in the forums themselves. Of course the fact the it only popped up at random didn't help.
Wait, what? How was that a "problem"? That's how it is now, and the spam is relentless.

As things are now, the captcha appears on account creation and then never appears again thereafter. So we get someone making bot accounts (filling out captchas as they go), and then letting the bots loose on the forum where there's absolutely nothing to curtail them.

The captcha should be moved from account creation (or leave it there, whatever) and put back on the forums again, because since it was removed from the forums it's allowed the bots to run rampant.

I'm sorry I don't understand your post at all. It seems completely backwards, logically speaking.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
SPAM BOTS NEED LOVE TOO!

They have important messages to share with the world and won't stop until black magic voodoo cures for credit card rebate fake baoting lisense call now for you!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
IceForce said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Wait, what? How was that a "problem"? That's how it is now, and the spam is relentless.

As things are now, the captcha appears on account creation and then never appears again thereafter. So we get someone making bot accounts (filling out captchas as they go), and then letting the bots loose on the forum where there's absolutely nothing to curtail them.

The captcha should be moved from account creation (or leave it there, whatever) and put back on the forums again, because since it was removed from the forums it's allowed the bots to run rampant.

I'm sorry I don't understand your post at all. It seems completely backwards, logically speaking.
Ok I didn't know that. I haven't had to create an account in a while. Regardless even if we have the captcha for posting it should be there all the time instead of only showing up at random like it was before.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
Ok I didn't know that. I haven't had to create an account in a while.
If you log out your account (or just access this website from another browser, Internet Explorer for example), and access the account registration page, there's a captcha on it.

But that's it. There are no more captchas after that. Basically it means that a bot account can be created by someone, and then the 'automated' part takes over and the bot spams dozens or even hundreds of posts very very quickly. - All for the price of entering just one captcha.

It's not a very efficient use of captcha; requiring just one of them to be entered and then allowing unlimited posts to be made thereafter.

Canadamus Prime said:
Regardless even if we have the captcha for posting it should be there all the time instead of only showing up at random like it was before.
Yep, now this I absolutely do agree with.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This site is also in dire need of maintenance. It's so slow to load compared to pretty much every other website in history of websites.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Considering the front page still has shows that have been taken off the site still on the schedule for a month now, I don't think defy really cares at this point.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Dalisclock said:
Considering the front page still has shows that have been taken off the site still on the schedule for a month now, I don't think defy really cares at this point.
That happened before Defy, too.

Word is they're looking over potential new content. I think they're working under a tight budget partly because the proceeds from ads are a trifle compared to just a few years ago. They are working through a lot of submissions for new content for the site.

Time will tell if things work out.