Spambots constantly on this forum

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
bastardofmelbourne said:
Annnd, right on cue, there's a bunch of spam threads in Gaming Discussion.
They were banned and eliminated over 15 minutes ago. The system is so slow they're just sitting there. *rolls eyes*

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Personally I'm just confused as to who they're even targeted at - it's not like the Escapist has the most robust of membership or foot-traffic these days, and the threads aren't around long enough to really contribute to any google search metrics.

Just seems like a wasted effort, really. Unless it's a troll/disgruntled ex-member/someone just taking advantage of the lack of tech team.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The fact that they advertise for freakin' black magic and shit is downright hilarious, though.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Wrex Brogan said:
Personally I'm just confused as to who they're even targeted at - it's not like the Escapist has the most robust of membership or foot-traffic these days, and the threads aren't around long enough to really contribute to any google search metrics.

Just seems like a wasted effort, really.
Logically speaking, I'd think that a website which has been hemorrhaging for a year or two would be the perfect target for bots. It means that it's active enough for someone to see them, but not so active that they would be removed instantly.

And I'm not really informed on the way spambots work, but I don't believe they're a particularly high amount of effort to unleash. People made bots to play Hearthstone for them; that seems like far more effort for less return to me (since if you don't like the game enough to play it yourself, then why would you care about doing anything in it? and if you've got time to create a bot to play the game for you, I find it hard to believe you just wouldn't have the time to play it yourself).

IceForce said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ok I didn't know that. I haven't had to create an account in a while.
If you log out your account (or just access this website from another browser, Internet Explorer for example), and access the account registration page, there's a captcha on it.

But that's it. There are no more captchas after that. Basically it means that a bot account can be created by someone, and then the 'automated' part takes over and the bot spams dozens or even hundreds of posts very very quickly. - All for the price of entering just one captcha.

It's not a very efficient use of captcha; requiring just one of them to be entered and then allowing unlimited posts to be made thereafter.
Given that we've always had spambots, it seems like neither permutation of the captcha has worked.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Adam Jensen said:
This site is also in dire need of maintenance. It's so slow to load compared to pretty much every other website in history of websites.
I have had to set my IP address to the US the past few days just to access the site. Been like this for a while, I even get "perma-banned" from time to time. Oh well, part of the charm I guess.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
IceForce said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ok I didn't know that. I haven't had to create an account in a while.
If you log out your account (or just access this website from another browser, Internet Explorer for example), and access the account registration page, there's a captcha on it.

But that's it. There are no more captchas after that. Basically it means that a bot account can be created by someone, and then the 'automated' part takes over and the bot spams dozens or even hundreds of posts very very quickly. - All for the price of entering just one captcha.

It's not a very efficient use of captcha; requiring just one of them to be entered and then allowing unlimited posts to be made thereafter.

Canadamus Prime said:
Regardless even if we have the captcha for posting it should be there all the time instead of only showing up at random like it was before.
Yep, now this I absolutely do agree with.
Well it's not as easy as having bots that can create accounts, but yeah I see your point.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Dr.Susse said:
Redlin5 said:
shrekfan246 said:
Redlin5 said:
Tech team would be best solution...
Tech team? What's that?
Adam Jensen said:
This site is also in dire need of maintenance. It's so slow to load compared to pretty much every other website in history of websites.
Something that existed in the Escapist of yore.
No reminiscing about the past!
Now eat your Gruel.
Its criminal to make Aussies mods!

Oh wait, was that the general idea?

Uh oh.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Here's an idea for the Captcha: No Captcha at account creation; but for the first 48 hours after account creation, ALL new threads and posts must go through the Captcha first.

To really confound those spambots, make it one of those "identify X object in these pictures" kind.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Basement Cat said:
Dalisclock said:
Considering the front page still has shows that have been taken off the site still on the schedule for a month now, I don't think defy really cares at this point.
That happened before Defy, too.

Word is they're looking over potential new content. I think they're working under a tight budget partly because the proceeds from ads are a trifle compared to just a few years ago. They are working through a lot of submissions for new content for the site.

Time will tell if things work out.
Okay, I can buy the idea they're looking for new content(though my faith isn't really there anymore).

I don't understand why they haven't updated the schedule to remove the shows that aren't hosted here anymore? Critical Miss's last strip was April 14. It's been two months and apparently no one can be bothered to even so much as mention "Hey, all of these things will no longer have new content. We're revising the schedule to reflect this". I haven't done web coding for years, but I'm pretty sure that this is something that could easily be accomplished in 30 minutes by someone who actually gives a damn.

Hell, someone has to link the new Yathzee videos every week. Presumably they could clean up page a little at the same time?

Unless they really are trying to distract people from the fact they pretty much have nothing but Yathzee at this point.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Dalisclock said:
Okay, I can buy the idea they're looking for new content(though my faith isn't really there anymore.

I don't understand why they haven't updated the schedule to remove the shows that aren't hosted here anymore? Critical Miss's last strip was April 14. It's been two months and apparently no one can be bothered to even so much as mention "Hey, all of these things will no longer have new content. We're revising the schedule to reflect his". I haven't done web coding for years, but I'm pretty sure this is something that could easily be accomplished in 30 minutes by someone who actually gives a damn.

Hell, someone has to link the new Yathzee videos every week. Presumably they could clean up page a little at the same time?
Maybe it's simply a matter of wanting to maintain appearances. "Please come visit our site and when you see the frontpage you'll see that we have...practically no regular content to speak of. Wait! Where are you going?!?"

*shrugs*

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
The problem is this guy/group are very persistent and are hard to deal with. This exact same spam and group showed up on the Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm forums, and even with their professional teams working on it, the only way Blizzard was able to put the fire out was to require you to play a certain number of games of Hearthstone and Heroes before posting, like they do with having an account/copy of the game for WoW/SC/Diablo/Overwatch.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
What about a minimum badge number, which would require doing at least one quiz or more?

Bots can't do quizzes yet right?
Even if they can, they won't write that into the bots for just a single site.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
What about a minimum badge number, which would require doing at least one quiz or more?

Bots can't do quizzes yet right?
Even if they can, they won't write that into the bots for just a single site.
Not a bad filter to consider. Even have that quiz PM'd to a new user so they get one that's just the 'Prove you're a human' quiz, comes complete with a 'Human' badge.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Given they seem to exclusively create new threads, maybe have a post limit before you can create new threads? Or a time limit between created threads?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
You know what I love seeing when I click into Gaming Discussion?

See if you can count how many times "baba" shows up!

(It's all of them. It shows up all of the times.)

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Yeahhh, so...

This sort of thing should really be ringing alarm bells. Big massive alarm bells.
There's no way a bot should be getting anywhere close to a hundred posts, nevermind a hundred different threads cluttering up the forum.

You can throw even more mods at the problem, but it's still not stopping the problem at its source. Either reinstate captchas on the forums, or implement some other solution, such as:

theSovietConnection said:
Given they seem to exclusively create new threads, maybe have a post limit before you can create new threads? Or a time limit between created threads?
I rather like this second idea. If a new user joins the forum, they're never going to need to make more than 2 or 3 new threads at the most. Put a restriction like that on all new accounts, at least until the account is 14 or 30 days old, or whatever.

Bang, the lion's share of the spam gone, just like that.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
IceForce said:
You can throw even more mods at the problem, but it's still not stopping the problem at its source.
It is, however, a solution the Escapist can implement without its tech team.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I had spam on my old forum. And I got rid of it pretty effectively by asking a question relevant to the site. In this case, I would ask who runs/owns The Escapist. Spambots are rarely, if ever, tailored to a specific site.