Special Ops Officer, British Gamer Compete in Real Life MW2 Pit Test

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
Twad said:
ANd this proves... what?

Like you said, its comparing apples to oranges.

What if they reversed the roles?
I don't think it was ever supposed to PROVE anything, it was merely done for fun, and entertainment. And if you ask me, it was rather fun to watch.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Marine Mike said:
Crap, crap, and crap.

Real gun was semi-auto and had a red-dot sight.
In-game gun was fully-auto with a holographic sight.

A good test would have been to see if the gamer could have done the real course in less than triple the time of the soldier.
Sid probably used it semi-automatic by choice, based on the tactics he used.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Aww, I was rooting for Sid. Although, I'm sure the real life version is MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult than the game version. Still, even I've done better than 35 seconds, and I don't own the game nor am I all that good at it.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
As has been pointed out, the SAS character would have dominated if this was a real-life situation. When you're under fire, you don't run toward the people with the guns unless they're out of commission.

Though I can't imagine how badass working with that guy must have been. Special Ops soldiers are ridiculous.

digitalman

Jun 9, 2009
This was really neat to watch. Some interesting bits.

- It was said that Sid (Let's call him The Stig. =D ) was SAS.

- As some pointed out, Sid treated this like the real thing, and took cover immediately, took his shots, and then moved up, where as the gamer simply ran out and shot things. In real life, one of those guys would have been dead, and you can probably guess who. =)

- While Sid probably did not have any experience with "the map", do note that he does have some intrinsic advantages, namely, full use of his senses. He has the full use of his vision (peripheral and otherwise) where as the gamer has only the POV offered by his screen.

- Someone pointed out on another forum that Sid should have tried to line up two targets with one bullet. Probably not something he would have thought of. The MP5 fires a subsonic round already (I think, correct me if I'm wrong!) and while technically it would be possible to nail two people with a single bullet, that second person would barely feel it (assuming it did him him!) It probably never occured to him to do it, because to try for it would be laughable in real life (well, with that gun, anyways.)

All that being said though, it was pretty amusing and neat to see. I gotta scratch my head that the hosts were actually keeping score (I mean really, are you going to celebrate your 360 skills in front of a guy who's holding the real thing???) but that they even did the contest in the first place was pretty sweet. =)

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
colonel_alzheimers said:
Marine Mike said:
Crap, crap, and crap.

Real gun was semi-auto and had a red-dot sight.
In-game gun was fully-auto with a holographic sight.

A good test would have been to see if the gamer could have done the real course in less than triple the time of the soldier.
Sid probably used it semi-automatic by choice, based on the tactics he used.
Semi automatic saves you bullets.
also saves reload time which is almost wasted time.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
It was entertaining and I think that was the point, I'm most impressed with the soldier though, it's always very interesting to watch a real professional in action.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
tsu-money said:
Caligulove said:
Entertaining, but ultimately that's all it is.
I don't think they were trying to prove anything, however.

This would be like 'testing' Project Gotham or Gran Turismo against the Stig on Top Gear.

Fun to watch, though!
I would pay good money to see this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhBvCunbkE

Whats that, money you say?

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
When isn't it amusing to see real life versions of video game environments? I'm questioning the authenticity of that soldier however.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I justy watched it now and thats epic. This is why I love that show =D

Although would have loved to see roles reversed, THAT would have been really intresting!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
That was awesome. Truley, i have nothing else to say.. mostely because im too tired to type. G'night if youre realing this.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
That SAS guy (I'm presuming he was SAS, i mean who else would you choose) was awesome.
one question, was that guy playing the game including his bonus's for accuracy? because if he was, then SAS guy may actually have won.
Also, 35 seconds isn't that impressive, i've done it faster :p
SBS by any chance??? i think it would be more likely, the unsung heroes of the british special forces

hamster mk 4 said:
I curse the BBC for being so awesome. We don't get wierd stuff like this in the US unless we pay extra for the BBC channel, which my service provider doesn't even offer.
It's channel 5, not bbc, it is a free channel, but some people in britain dont even get it, the only good thing about the gadget show is the competitions

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Accuracy bonus may have played a part. Should double check.

Also, you're terrible at the The Pit Gameguy. If you want a high score, everyone knows you take the M9 and USB. 45 w/Tac Knife, and don't reload at all.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Accuracy bonus may have played a part. Should double check.

Also, you're terrible at the The Pit Gameguy. If you want a high score, everyone knows you take the M9 and USB. 45 w/Tac Knife, and don't reload at all.
Huh, so that part about him using the same weapon as the SAS agent fell on deaf ears I would suppose.

F8L Fool said:
When isn't it amusing to see real life versions of video game environments? I'm questioning the authenticity of that soldier however.
Why questioning the authenticity of the soldier? I wouldn't suppose they would be that unscrupulous as show hosts as to get some random guy now would they?

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
HentMas said:
Twad said:
ANd this proves... what?

Like you said, its comparing apples to oranges.

What if they reversed the roles?
give a happy triguer modern warfare fan a real gun??

dear god man! are you nuts!?

he could go shoot a school!!!
or an airport

Zani

May 14, 2008
3 things, firstly the guy playing MW2 was using a MP5k with a holographic sight and not an MP5 using a silencer and iron-sights, secondly they changed the sound effects in some of the clips for what ever reason, the MP5k sounds like a LMG from MW2 and the MP5 sounds like a revolver, thirdly, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Xbox (consoles in general) have a huge aim-assist that will instantly point at your target if you aim close to it?

Mostly entertaining but kinda pointless, and the narrating guy was annoying.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Oh waaa, waaa, waaa! Why is everyone complaining over a bit of fun?

I thought it was great. It showed me was that the SAS kicked ass, and that Jason Bradbury is worse at video games than I am! Go me!

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Blocked in my country...

SRSLY WTF! I live in the UK goddamnit gimme my TV!