Spike's 2010 VGAs Were Lowest Rated in Program's History

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
If I wanted to watch Z list celebrities chat about a subject they knew nothing about i'd watch reality TV, stay away from our medium and stop trying to emulate hollywood

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I just remember being angry for those 2 hours. More so when the Bioware Trailer wasn't for a new game :(
Gamegodtre said:
two words for why i didnt watch
Dane Cook
O i think that was y i was angry now that i think about it!

The VGAs really should just be the New Game Trailers with Awards' Show. Because thats already what it is.

tenny20ca

Sep 18, 2008
I watched about 2 hours of it. I believe it was written/directed by monkeys throwing thier fecies at paper. The jokes were bad, really bad, i mean really really bad. The "guest appearances" by game characters either had no context or made no sence. The entire show was "Here's an Ad, "Stupid joke", Another Ad, Some out of place animated sequence, oh ya i guess we'll do an Award. repeat" It ran about 1/2 a hour long, can't imagine why...

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Award show in general are bad, IMO. But the VGAs are one of the worst. What's more, they seem to be aimed at the gamer stereotype (adolescent males with serious social issues) rather than the gaming audience. Plus, the fact that they give no attention to Nintendo or PC takes away from their credibility. If you want to be the representing awards for gaming, include all forms of gaming!

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
I actually thought it was pretty good. The special effects were very cool, and there was some huge announcements. NPH also did a great job. Unfortunately, the show was brought down by Dane Cook and other unfunny people trying to be funny. Even so, the show is improving.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I noticed that Super Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't even nominated for GOTY yet Call Of Duty was. I instantly disregarded EVERYTHING said on that show to be bullshit.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
I like that a network is at least trying to replicate something like the Grammys or the Golden Globes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106165-Zombies-Get-Their-First-Golden-Globe-Nomination] for the game industry, but something needs to be done to make people actually care about who gets what.
That would be the Game Developers Choice Awards [http://www.gamechoiceawards.com/].

As for the topic of the VGAs themselves, it's no surprise that viewership is down. More and more people are realizing that the VGAs are meant for slobbering idiots and not for the people who really care about whether a game's quality is good or not.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
You shouldn't let people vote for these awards, fanboys that won't even watch the show vote. Who voted Neil Patrick Harris for best Male voice actor(just because he did a pretty excellent spiderman...) The fact that he beat John Cleese is just bullshit. Female lead was pretty bad too(someone from New Vegas was nominated, really).

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I couldn't watch them for long, I felt the jokes were insulting my intelligence. You can still have a funny award show without just being stupid, but Spike TV doesn't seem to get that and plays for the lowest common denominator.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
Besides Geoff Keighley is the executive producer of the VGAs and he's a complete douchebag. Angry Joe did an interview with him and all Geoff did was insult him when he asked him a question but when someone later asked the same question he gave them the same answer but without all the sarcasm and douchebaggery. Geoff also didn't know that Final Fantasy 14 Online was released this year when he was asked about why there was no Best MMO category. I was certain that anyone producing the VGAs should be aware of all the games that came out this year.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
TPiddy said:
To be completely honest, nobody cares about who wins Grammys and Oscars anymore either... it's all the industry pandering to itself. Their viewership numbers are down as well. When anyone with a brain can tell they're rigged (Sandra Bullock anyone) it just becomes the industry telling you what's best in the industry when it should really be the consumers.
I concur. We need the real journalists of the industry and people who actually work in the industry to do the awards ceremony, not network tv show hosts (Web, Sessler, Munn I'm looking at you) and celebrity nuts to be involved. I witnessed the rising popularity of gaming, when suddenly on tv celebrities were being interviewed about games and then the walking sex symbols, the ryan seacrest clones, and hot female tv co-hosts all came out saying "Like OMG I was a closet geek and I've been playing games forever" (no offense to actual gaming girls. I tip my hat to you, salute you and am very proud to game along side you. Gaming has no gender boundaries.)

Basically the people who talk about popular fashion, popular music, teen trends and etc are now talking about popular games; people who don't actually care about what they are discussing but simply ride the popularity train where ever it goes. It's annoying. I'm all for various kinds of people supporting the gaming industry. I like that more people are into it and taking it seriously (my parents used to detest my gaming hobby so I was very estatic when they became interested in the Wii. One giant step for gamingkind to me), but a line needs to drawn somewhere.

Sorry for the rant but yeah, VGA just like Grammys and Oscars and no one cares. Not surprised these things are declining ever since E3 scaled itself down a few years ago. That was what people cared about and E3 started to care less, sort of.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The spike awards are horrible, they don't give them to deserving titles they give them to the biggest titles. I stopped watching half way through the first one.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Award shows by their very definition are cringe-worthy and self-congratulatory, but the VGA's multiplies this with a disgusting amount of douchebaggery.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Reveals will be online moments after they air. Hosts are pretty irrelevant. They can be either servicable or just bad. It's not their moment to shine. Spike isn't really respected for their opinions on video games (and they aren't respected in any other way either). And I've read that Spike tops out at around 2 million viewers for MMA fights. In comparison, NBc gets the lowest ratings of any major network and even it's worst show ratings-wise will draw around 4-5 million on a bad night. I say this because I saw some accusations tossed around here that people only hated the Spike awards or Spike in general because it's popular. Myth busted. It's just a horrible network that panders to the most adolescent instincts in people.