Spike's 2010 VGAs Were Lowest Rated in Program's History

RandomHer0

Jun 26, 2009
I was to busy watching the GSP vs Koscheck fight at the local sports bar. if it hadn't been competing i would have been all over the VGAs. just because i enjoy to argue with my friends while watching.
Hope this doesn't effect them continuing this though, because im sure such a freak coincidence wont happen next year.

As for why these rating were low, unlike the oscars or emmys this medium of ours is almost exclusively media savvy folk (especially those in wait of a certain game trailer or result). We know that these new game trailers and results will be posted immediately after if not during the program itself. This means that most who aren't willing to sit for 3 hours to enjoy the cheesy jokes and awkward introductions by celebrities who don't know a dpad from a control stick, will opt for the immediate option.
I got all i needed from the VGA's in a ten minute trip to youtube for the trailers - Skyrim, ME3, Uncharted. And a quick google yielded me the winners.

It just doesn't have that snob appeal and glamor of the oscars that keeps viewers watching. And with so many credible video game review sites online (each of us with our own preferred source) it also holds little weight in its decision, where the oscars are solidified as the be all and end all of movie judgement.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I watched the one where Jack Black hosted and GTA4 won the GOTY and I can gladly say that I will never watch another VGA

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The only real reason to tune into the VGAs for someone like me is to check out the exclusive reveals, but why set aside a couple of hours to watch a bunch of skits and "witty" banter in between things I care about when all of those reveals will be posted on the internet within minutes?
That's exactly why I don't watch either. I don't care what they pick for their winners because I already know what I enjoyed, and the trailers aren't a draw because I can just wait until the day after and see them all on GameTrailers.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I had it on while playing games on my computer. The jokes were so painfully unfunny that only 2 people (if that) in the audience laughed, and the awards were probably the best joke considering it was the same 6 games for 80%+ of them. I think BioShock 2 was the only big name game I saw nominated that wasn't released in the past month or two.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
I watched all the trailers on YouTube through Destructiod since I missed the show. I'll try to find a recording and watch it to see just how bad it was, though.

That said, I'm not surprised the ratings this year were the lowest thus far. Hopefully, they'll learn to add better stuff next year, or the VGAs are only going to drop further in ratings.

Desrali T Bear

Mar 19, 2010
Huh. Didn't even know this was happening. Not that I would have cared...

Useless awards show is useless. =P

Apr 28, 2008
Maybe its low because it sucks?

You know, sometimes things do work out.

Plus Dane Cook didn't help anything either.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
The VGA is kinda like the Super Bowl for me. I couldn't give two shits about the actual program, all I care about is the commercials.... Or in this case the anouncements.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
s2dio said:
Didn't the VGAs go out at the same time as UFC 124? That's a torn audience right there...
Thats where I was, and pretty much everyone else up here who gave two shits about the VGAs. And anyhow, Spike is complete garbage i try to avoid any chance I get

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
airrazor7 said:
TPiddy said:
I concur. We need the real journalists of the industry and people who actually work in the industry to do the awards ceremony, not network tv show hosts (Web, Sessler, Munn I'm looking at you) and celebrity nuts to be involved.
How dare you? Sess is the best!

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Maybe they wouldn't be so bad if they didn't scare away the audience with crappy musical acts (seriously, My Chemical Romance? Who are you trying to appeal to: gamers or preteen girls? When watching it with friends, we had to change the channel until it was over.), the seriously unfunny Dane Cook (Those sections with him were some of more unfunny than Neil Hamburger comedy acts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5NOt3ClPKA), and he's purposely unfunny), the terrible comedy with Neil Patrick Harris (NPH you're awesome, but not even you can make "Video Game Names made gay" remotely watchable), or any of the other crap that composed that "game show."

Watching the VGA's is worse than watching the Oscars, watching many people who you know are awesome (the previously mentioned NPH, amongst others) forced into lame, trite, and unfunny comedy acts in a desperate attempt to be a show for everybody. In the end, it becomes something nobody can enjoy.

Just cancel the damn things already. Don't worry, it won't be missed.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The problem with the awards is I don't think they're run by anyone in the industry, or even in the know. It's cool that all the AAA games get fireworks, light shows and trophies. But really, do you think a single person in the VGAs knows what Minecraft is or who Notch is?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I personally hate watching the Oscars
so boring, and both good and crap alike win...credibility? neh