Splinter Cell Stunt Goes Stupidly Wrong

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I saw the picture first and thought someone had written "Infiltrate The Mansion" on someones house.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
STOP BLAMING UBISOFT YOU IDIOTS.

Ubisoft had nothing to do with it, other than it was splinter cell. The company who should be blamed is Monaco Corp, which is in charge of branding Ubisoft's products in New Zealand.

If it happen in the U.S. there is no doubt someone in the crowd would have horrible hurt/killed the actor.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Anyone else think it would have been hilarious for him to be shot? Just for his idiocy?

Not killed, but at least injured for a fair few months.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
We all know that would have been better off as a Can't Touch This dance routine with the words 'Splinter Cell: Conviction' somehow fitted into it.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
"Oh, I know! Let's send a guy with a gon to a bar!"
"I can't see anything possibly go wrong with it, ok let's do it."

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Hopefully they made the game with better ideas than this, because if this is a representation of the game, then it's gotta be bad...

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Do they not carry firearms in NZ? If this guy had pulled this in the USA, he might well have been shot dead by a patron.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
That is just awesome. I think it shows how culturally different the world is plus America's obsession with being paranoid. True it wasnt a good idea and having a guy just show up and pull a gun is pants on head retarded. Just think if that all worked out and Sam Fisher rappelled down from a helicopter and beat him silly.. Or maybe Jack Bauer.

DraftPickle

Oct 20, 2007
Erm isn't it a good idea? They either have an awesome stunbt if they pull it off, and if they fail (like they did) they get national media coverage?

SuperGilfer

Jan 21, 2010
TheDoctor455 said:
I shudder to imagine how Ubisoft would do something like this to promote Assassin's Creed 3.
They're going to give a guy a bow and some arrows with flyers tied on the end, and make him shoot people with them.

Nothing could possibly go wrong!

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Dude was lucky it was in a country where there are tight gun control laws and not some where like... oh Texas where he'd of got his balls shot off by everyone person in the bar.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
If They had done this in Malta, he would have the crap beat out of him, but I really was a crappy stunt.

pneuvo

Apr 7, 2010
I can see some marketting idiot thinking this was a good idea, but how about the guy they hired? Never pull a gun unless you mean it so much you are willing to risk your life or freedom.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I don't understand, how does splinter cell fit into all of this? No mention of fisher, spies, third echelon, or anything! Seems rather poorly planned.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
I can only assume the person who organised that stunt is the mastermind behind their new drm,

i.e an idiot

RedHoodProdigalSon

Oct 18, 2009
If it was me, I would have had Micheal Ironside Sign Autographs in Full Sam Fisher gear, but hey maybe that's why I'm not in Marketing, I don't come with Brilliant stunts like WAVING A GUN AROUND IN PUBLIC!

Seriously?!

Was the guy who came up with this on something?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Sir Kemper said:
I fail to see how this is bad marketing.

Since that stunt around 100 more people know about Splinter Cell.
Yeah, the game that made them fear for their lives and think they might never see their loved ones again. I somehow doubt they'll be lining up to get one. And the only publicity this'll be earning the game is as "the game with the retarded publicity stunt", which won't make it past the gaming press.

So, IMHO it failed at both making a good impression and making a large impression. Without either one it's a complete failure.