Splinter Cell Stunt Goes Stupidly Wrong

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
How exactly does this advertise anything? I didn't realise that the new Splinter Cell game was; 1) set in New Zealand, 2) a game about threatening people with a gun, 3) completely retarded.

I imagine the stunt would have made perfect sense if everyone involved was connected to the internet at the time.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
How could have this have gone right? what was their plan? To hold people at gunpoint and hand out fliers?!

1. Send armed gunman into town

2. Threaten people

3. ????????

4. PROFIT!

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
FoolKiller said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
That little act of stupid is now given the *facepalm*. I mean seriously if you didn't want people thinking you were serious then use a gun with an orange tip on the end.
Good point. Could you imagine if this had been done in a gun-happy place in the US?
We'd have taken his ass out... He proly wouldnt have even lasted long enough for the cops to arrive.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
This is hilarious, it's almost as if he just failed a level of the game he was supposed to promote!
[small]He's probably gonna try it again on "EASY" difficulty...[/small]

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
I fail to see how this is bad marketing.

Since that stunt around 100 more people know about Splinter Cell.

Hell, if there lucky mayby faux news will do a story on them explaining how Splinter Cell is mudering innocent's and christian ideals.

Then sales will be thru the roof.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I shudder to imagine how Ubisoft would do something like this to promote Assassin's Creed 3.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
That's...That's not a publicity stunt...AT ALL

That's just wandering into a random bar and taking hostages

Advertising/spreading awareness of the game/MENTIONING the game was not involved in this at all

That's just a crime, not a stunt

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
So, was he supposed to be Sam Fisher, or was Sam Fisher going to sow up and snap his neck or something?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Are you fucking joking me? This just proves that pretty much anything is fair game if it means you can sell your fucking product.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Sir Kemper said:
I fail to see how this is bad marketing.

Since that stunt around 100 more people know about Splinter Cell.

Hell, if there lucky mayby faux news will do a story on them explaining how Splinter Cell is mudering innocent's and christian ideals.

Then sales will be thru the roof.
It's as they say.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
You can't really blame Ubisoft, after all holding their customers at gun point has been a really successful plan for their DRM team. How were they to know people would react differently in the real world?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Well...That's the stupidest thing I heard today.

Now Ahem. [HEADING=1] VIDEO GAMES DID IT! WAAH! [/HEADING]

Johnny Cain

Apr 18, 2010
Something tells me Ubisoft hated those particular 'actors' and gave them the dumbest most suicidal marketing stunt to pull ever :p

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
TheDoctor455 said:
I shudder to imagine how Ubisoft would do something like this to promote Assassin's Creed 3.
I have a feeling that could be the most talked about publicity stunt ever.

...then Ubisoft would be shut down. But it would be worth it! :D

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
wow.......that was a stupid idea.

They should of taken a tip from the Dante's Inferno Marketing, that was pure Genius.

Oh well, i doubt they really care.....they got their publicity.

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
Wow the stupidity of that is amazing! How did this stunt get aproved by the company? No on involved at any level realised: "wait a minute, this is a TERRIBLE idea"? No one?