'Splosion Man

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Not sure if it was intended, but I loved the ironic similarities between:

"Portal's cake and companion cube moments work because they beautifully illustrate how the AI character is trying to manipulate you through an incredibly tentative grasp on how human emotions work"

and

"black-suited developers wringing their hands and humorlessly smirking at the thought of how easy 'zaniness' can gain an average game a cult following, their dead corporate minds failing to grasp the subtleties"

So GLaDOS is just a well conceived caricature of most game developers? Well played Valve.

Mertruve

Feb 9, 2009
But when I hear about how awesome the Companion Cube was or a million references to a cake, its hard not to wonder if the people saying it actually understood why these things are in the game.
They didn't play it. Simple as that.

The cake is NOT a lie, for fuck's sake.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
[replying to the portal-related bit]

I know that was the catchphrase in the teasers of the game, but the cake is not a lie, the player IS the cake, GlaDOS says explicitely that you will be baked, yet people continuously go with "the cake is a lie" bit, didn't they finish the game or what ?

Or maybe I just come from an alternate dimension. Yup, that must be it.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/alt-escape/6458-Alt-Escape-Rabbit-Wants-Cake

Five posts later? Irrroonneeeeeeeeee. Or...prooooooooooof?
Yeah. Portal was an amazing game. Now stop yelling about it in our faces so we can bask peacefully in it's awesomeness in our own way.

Also, despite the sad attempts at gaining mileage through other people's intelligent humor and annoying timing issues . . . this game seems like it has mindless fun potential. Yes?

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Wow - this isn't about the article necessarily, but, and I don't want to seem like a Yahtzee licking fanboy, but the way he writes is pretty incredible. There are so few peiods and yet it still makes ranty-sense.

I'd offer you a cookie, but I fear you'd strike me dead with the utterance of a single word... 'Pumpernickel...'

PodX140

Jul 1, 2009
Maybe, it could possibly be tribute to portal?

or is your overly cynical mind not covering all the possibilities? Yahtzee needs to stop ripping on games because he thinks from one viewpoint and doesnt bother thinking it through.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You know, I never thought I'd say this as I understand Zero/Extra Punctuation's purpose as a ranty/comedy/semi-review thing, but this is just downright trolling, even for Yahtzee.

Yes, certain jokes get old and overused, and yes, sometimes certain things live off of nothing but pop culture references. But you know what? Live and fucking let live.

I know plenty of very intelligent people that find random pop culture references hilarious, sometimes out of context. It's just their sense of humor. It doesn't neccessarily show their intelligence level. And yet so many people don't see that and decide to write a fucking article calling everyone who enjoys the occasional random joke and reference an idiot. Not only is this insulting to a point above and beyond anything Yahtzee has every said before, but I have to say I'm shocked that the Escapist editors allowed this on here. It's nothing but trolling.

Now, I have nothing against people that don't find that stuff funny, but the people that start insulting those who do just piss me off. Congrats, Yahtzee, you're now on a very small list of people I know that think this way along with a pompous ass that thinks he's the hand of God and a stoner that does nothing but ***** all day and call himself a "bro".

EDIT: Also, I hope you realize you probably just insulted more than half of your core audience. Good job.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Well, Portal as a whole is kind of a twisted joke, but when I actually saw the phrase writen on a wall, it hit me as a very eerie statement (Who the hell wrote that on the wall anyway!?).

And yeah, pretty much like Monty Python, people just don't know when to stop. I remember taking quite a effort to not remember the Holy Grail jokes that a lot of unfunny people kept quoting, and it worked, miraculously.

Dave Chappele complained exactly about the same thing with his "I'm Rick James, *****" thing.

Overall, I only feel it's relevant (hence, funny) to quote pop culture if it is to deconstruct it or to outright criticize it. Quote for the sake of quoting is for people who lack enough creativity to come up with something of their own.

PS: From the post above, sounds like Yahtzee hit a bullseye.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yahtzee just wrote what a lot of people are thinking.

It goes some way to explain why I hate students. It's the students who see themselves as a bit "wacky". Quoting Monty Python, Kevin Smith, Faulty Towers, internet detritus, whatever, feeling all smug and superior.

Twats, each and everyone.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
Tomm Hulett of Konami replied? Yathzee becoming a real ceweblity.

I get the Monthy Python references, but I need to play Portal to start being annoyed by Sposionman XD

3 and then 9, if next comes 2 then I crap my pants XD

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I feel referencing funny things can be fine and fun so long as you do it conservatively. If you only once in a while quote Monty Python or something, or talk about the cake being a lie when appropriate, then that's alright as long as it's well timed and not over done. But if you start going " is a lie!" as every other sentence, or if you go "And now for something completely different!" every time the subject matter changes, then it gets annoying and kills the original joke, which I suppose is kind of ironic when you think about it. The ones who loved the joke the most are the ones who kill it.