'Splosion Man

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
What's that? Internet meme humour is overused? No shit, Sherlocks!

I mean, Yahtzee keeps acting as if the developers decided to really push the point of the cake joke, as if they kept on nudging and winking and demanding a full belly laugh.

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
I love Yahtzee more than most of my limbs, but I think he should really stop with the ripping on indie games. It's like pummeling an infant who wanders into the boxing ring. Yes, you can do it. Yes, it may even look awesome. And yes, you're offending everyone, which is a long-established part of your style (assuming, of course, that Yahtzee would be just as abrasive as a figurative professional boxer as he is as a non-figurative semi-professional reviewer). But it's a baby! And Mister T is right there, insulting your mother's choice of eyeliner! Leave the baby alone and make a name for yourself!
...Right?
And one more thing, while I'm still angry (it is a fleeting and rapturous emotion) - randomness is funny. Humour relies on the unexpected. Some of Yahtzee's best comedy is based on this. Sure, it's grating if it's poorly done, but that's precisely because many of those jokes aren't random. Dishonest confections and "only-a-model" castles and Nazi zombies are losing their entertainment value because they've been done to death and no longer serve the purpose. And, because cakes in videogames predate the release of Portal, perhaps 'Splosion Man can be forgiven for this small malefaction.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
A delightfully cynical rebuke of one of the worst tendencies on the web. These written criticism pieces are very interesting, keep up the good work.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Randomness is fun if it's original. Luckily I don't have an Xbox so I'll never have to endure those horrible pop culture references that ruin 'Splosion man completely. *half sarcasm-half aggreeing*

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
The Youth Counselor said:
Ben Crosshaw said:
I hope you'll bear with me for a bit while I get something off my chest in a rather angry and irrational way, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's Portal fans.
Considering Portal is referenced in every three or so installments of Zero Punctuation as the perfect game, this is irrational indeed,
Referenced, not quoted.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I liked the rant for the most part (although it kind of says your a hollow individual and will die a lonely death at the end there), but could someone explain to me why Democrats shouldn't like Batman? Anyone?

Pyroz

Aug 28, 2009
"Im a reviewer that really wants to make games, but I have no talent, except for thumbing thru a thesaurus and writing in pontificating words paired with swear words in reviews :( I can't stand the attention Splosion Man gets because I really want to make games but my insecurities as a man with a tiny penis wont let me so I will continue to hide behind my 17" Dell laptop that my mommy got for me with my Rebecca Romijn wallpaper. (she reminds me of my mommy)" YOU'RE A FAG!!

Tuniki

Sep 14, 2008
so now I wonder, after this will we see developers make more references to Portal and the like or less? or will we seem them start making references to ZP and Yahtzee making important notes on how they should stop making references?

wait so liberals are allowed to like batman now?

Crops

Probably more bored than you
Aug 16, 2009
Yahtzee said:
"I believe that what people call 'love' is a combination of herding instinct, peer pressure, need for security and good old-fashioned lust."
Throw addiction into that mix and you're right on the ball.

First the herding instinct/lust get people to be attracted to each other. Once the instinct part wears off (which it does) people have become so used to their partner's habits and them being a part of their lives that they start to feel like their lives will no longer be complete without one another.

After a breakup, people often show the same symptoms as a junkie or smoker trying to kick the habit. Some fine examples would be replacing the old addiction with a new one (the rebound) or staying clean for a while and then running back to the old drug. (getting back together or stalking)
Even if someone finds a new person to get addicted to, it will still be like using a different drug, they'll miss the old addiction until they've completely worked it out of their system.

Peer pressure and the need for security are rather redundant in this context, since the need for security most people have was created by the image implanted by their peers.
Theres no denying the peer pressure part either. Open any book, turn on the tv, play a game, listen to the radio and all you read, see and hear about is everyone and their dog finding 'true love'.

Also, before anyone claims this is just some random pessimistic theory written by a bitter and lonely man, and they've experienced true love, all of the above has been proven by actual scientists and psychologists doing thorough research.

gametroll

Aug 28, 2009
If anyone is screaming for attention it is the loudmouth on the internet that has to dedicate an entire article to criticizing the name of an achievement. If anyone is screaming for attention it is the asshole in the little hat who spends his time criticizing good games for trivial things.

How dare a game try to inject a little humor in the achievement titles. Should the achievement just be called "collect the cakes"? At least the titles of the achievements in this game were actually funny, unlike this article. Killing scientists gets you "Get them out of our schools".

Lastly, this game is nothing like Portal. Splosion Man is a great game done by an indie developer that is priced at 800 points. It comes with free gamer pics, a theme, avatar accessories, 100 levels, time trials, single player mode, Online and offline co-op. What more do you want?

The game has received great reviews and all you want to talk about are achievement titles?

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I completely agree. They are just referencing it to achieve sales with the Portal fans. It'll take a lot more than that to convince me, however. Basing upon the gameplay videos I have seen, it's something I'd play for a minute and go "hmm, I spent HOW much on this?" I seriously wish that indie developers would be more inclined to be, well, creative. Write your own material. BE the next "the cake is a lie" rather than REFERENCE it.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Speaking of Monty Python and The Holy Grail, I know a guy who once made a stream of quotes from the movie that went on longer than the film's running time.

neuromantic

May 4, 2009
I gotta just say I'm really glad you're doing this Extra Punctuation thing, it's interesting to see all the ranting that you didn't have time for in the actual video. Especially when it's almost funnier than the video itself.

I was bored of the THE CAKE IS A LIE thing before I even knew where it was from, or what the story was. And theres no point in me ever playing it seeing as most of the plot is now endless quoted on every fucking forum you come across.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Actually, Tomm Hulett of Konami got in touch after the SH2 video to explain that the quiz will just be a small part of a complex psych profiling system, which will also record where you go first, how desperate you seem to be, whether you turn left or right, etc. And as I said in reply, I'll be interested to see exactly how this information gets applied, because I'm thinking about it and I keep coming back to that bit in Metal Gear Solid where Psycho Mantis tells you how often you saved.
DID YOU ENJOY PLAYING

ETERNAL DARKNEEEEESS?

And then Snake told me to put the controller down, but nothing happened because it was a Wavebird controller, and I think nothing would have happened even if it wasn't because I hate rumble and always turn it off anyway.

Slightly more on topic, I was disappointed when I played Portal, because I got spoiled to it. GLADoS (or however the hell it's capitalized) starts off as a pretty normal, run-off-the-mill cold emotionless guinea pig training AI, and then very subtly starts to become more and more unhinged. Because I knew she was a funny character from the beginning, much of that was lost to me. And I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to know that, so I couldn't even get angry at people or try to avoid the 'spoilers'. I had a strangely similar sensation when I got around to reading Dr. Jekill and Mr. Hyde, because I didn't know I already knew the ending.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
i always loved portal, always will. i never try to get too close to a fanbase of a certain game/ anime/ film/ tv show. which is why i can still enjoy haruhi and can still play portal without thinking of an overweight hyperactive 21 year old who trolls forums with 'the cake is a lie' post.

edit: also they did the same joke with fat princess.
when you complete the game you unlock an achievment (or trophy) which is called 'the cake is not a lie'... how original

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
wildpeaks said:
letsnoobtehpwns said:
I never thought that "The cake is a lie" joke was funny.
It can be funny: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cutting_edge.png
Thank you for the XKCD link. Man I love that comic.
ZeroMachine said:
Yes, certain jokes get old and overused, and yes, sometimes certain things live off of nothing but pop culture references. But you know what? Live and fucking let live.
Pyroz said:
YOU'RE A FAG!!
Oooohhh, the gloves are off and the fans are swinging for Croshaw's head. What'll he do? Will he:
1. Strike back in the forums,
2. Strike back in his next video,
3. Not give a shit whatsoever.
Find out the answer to this question and more on the next exciting episode of "Zero Punctuation".