'Splosion Man

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
It bitterly reminds me of those who try to imitate GIR from Invader Zim, thinking that being random is always 'funny' and 'clever'. It is neither of those if it is too absurd, poorly done, or done to the point of actually being predictable.

I'm sorry, but being random is an art, as it can be done very well or very poorly. Randomness does serve a purpose, and is not as 'random' as people like to believe.
References and quotes almost fit in the same category, and should be used sparingly as well.
Yes, obscure references can be funny. If used right.

Just like everything else in this world, moderation is key.
Too bad the growing trend is to use everything in 'extremes' and that forming a coherent thought process makes too much sense, we have to jazz it up with 'randoms'.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Hi Yahtzee,

With regards to the love issue I would recommend you to read Desmond Morris' The Naked Ape. It describes human behavior from a zoological point of view, including sex and parenting and also going into the love arena. I'm pretty sure you will, euh, love it.

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
Well... i can't say hes rong he has pretty right on many things i played portal two times it was awesome but i think it exist many awesome things like the first mario games or TF2 but i never found the cake be anything special it was more like "Cool a cake never heard that before in a game" and that was it.

Zamn

Apr 18, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Zamn said:
ZeroMachine said:
You know, I never thought I'd say this as I understand Zero/Extra Punctuation's purpose as a ranty/comedy/semi-review thing, but this is just downright trolling, even for Yahtzee.

Yes, certain jokes get old and overused, and yes, sometimes certain things live off of nothing but pop culture references. But you know what? Live and fucking let live.

I know plenty of very intelligent people that find random pop culture references hilarious, sometimes out of context. It's just their sense of humor. It doesn't neccessarily show their intelligence level. And yet so many people don't see that and decide to write a fucking article calling everyone who enjoys the occasional random joke and reference an idiot. Not only is this insulting to a point above and beyond anything Yahtzee has every said before, but I have to say I'm shocked that the Escapist editors allowed this on here. It's nothing but trolling.

Now, I have nothing against people that don't find that stuff funny, but the people that start insulting those who do just piss me off. Congrats, Yahtzee, you're now on a very small list of people I know that think this way along with a pompous ass that thinks he's the hand of God and a stoner that does nothing but ***** all day and call himself a "bro".

EDIT: Also, I hope you realize you probably just insulted more than half of your core audience. Good job.
People seem assume this subjectivist view that all opinions are equally valid as fact. There is no reason that Yahtzee can't be critical of other people's senses of humour. In humour, as in all else, some people just have bad taste, it's not rendered automatically good by their entitlement to their own opinion. A right to an opinion is not a right to be immune to all criticism of it.
Agreed, but this article is beyond criticism. He called them idiotic. That's a very horrible sweeping generalization.

And no opinion is valid as fact, which is why someone in a (sort of) celebrity position shouldn't be acting like his opinion is fact. That's exactly what's going on here. He has this mindset of "I'm right, and everyone else is wrong" here.
You say you agree with me but you actually don't. The whole point is that you can argue that your opinion is right and someone else's is wrong because all opinions are not equally valid.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Zamn said:
ZeroMachine said:
Zamn said:
ZeroMachine said:
You know, I never thought I'd say this as I understand Zero/Extra Punctuation's purpose as a ranty/comedy/semi-review thing, but this is just downright trolling, even for Yahtzee.

Yes, certain jokes get old and overused, and yes, sometimes certain things live off of nothing but pop culture references. But you know what? Live and fucking let live.

I know plenty of very intelligent people that find random pop culture references hilarious, sometimes out of context. It's just their sense of humor. It doesn't neccessarily show their intelligence level. And yet so many people don't see that and decide to write a fucking article calling everyone who enjoys the occasional random joke and reference an idiot. Not only is this insulting to a point above and beyond anything Yahtzee has every said before, but I have to say I'm shocked that the Escapist editors allowed this on here. It's nothing but trolling.

Now, I have nothing against people that don't find that stuff funny, but the people that start insulting those who do just piss me off. Congrats, Yahtzee, you're now on a very small list of people I know that think this way along with a pompous ass that thinks he's the hand of God and a stoner that does nothing but ***** all day and call himself a "bro".

EDIT: Also, I hope you realize you probably just insulted more than half of your core audience. Good job.
People seem assume this subjectivist view that all opinions are equally valid as fact. There is no reason that Yahtzee can't be critical of other people's senses of humour. In humour, as in all else, some people just have bad taste, it's not rendered automatically good by their entitlement to their own opinion. A right to an opinion is not a right to be immune to all criticism of it.
Agreed, but this article is beyond criticism. He called them idiotic. That's a very horrible sweeping generalization.

And no opinion is valid as fact, which is why someone in a (sort of) celebrity position shouldn't be acting like his opinion is fact. That's exactly what's going on here. He has this mindset of "I'm right, and everyone else is wrong" here.
You say you agree with me but you actually don't. The whole point is that you can argue that your opinion is right and someone else's is wrong because all opinions are not equally valid.
Don't try and put words in my mouth. I do agree with you, I think people are entitled to their opinions, but Yahtzee doesn't. That's the issue I have with this article.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Captain Bobbossa said:
This post is kind of Hypocritical due to this....

http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=683#
http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=582
http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=680
http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=685 - this one comes in three differant colours
http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=579
http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=581
http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=580

Infact I think you have the most T-shirts etc. on there Ben.
He isn't saying you shouldnt reference jokes - just there is a limit to when it becomes not funny. They are also yahtzee jokes not references.

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
This is the total opposite of what everyone I know (Local) seems to think about it.
but they're mostly idiots, so what does it matter? at least it's to the point and saving my money for something valuable.
and if it incorperates a lot of references, I'm not sure I'd want it anyway :p
I enjoyed 'Splosion Man but I don't get most of the references (I've yet to play Portal, working on it) so I merely enjoy it for the daft thing that it is, rather than overdone quotes. Lucky me!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
http://www.splitreason.com/product/509

I have this t-shirt, therefore Yahtzee hates me right?

But yes I do think the cake jokes are overdone, I don't mind the Companion Cube ones though

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I think the major problem with cake and cube and any other reference "joke" is that you never hear them out of the mouth of someone who is actually funny.

Case in point is my half ton brother in law who never says anything funny. He just references things. Over and over all you hear is him quoting some game, occasionally its a game that hasn't been in context for the gaming community in a decade.

He's one of those people who fails so hard socially that it is no wonder what 8-10 hours of his day now consist of playing second life.

I don't mind reference jokes...just please christ get some unique material of your own too.

Talonhand

Jun 13, 2009
Yes it was funny. Yes I still quote the cake is a lie from time to time, but seriously? Can no one in the game industry come up with their own damn jokes? oh and
ZeroMachine said:
True, but doesn't mean he has a point. Like I said, devs need to come with their own damn jokes. But isn't this what has told us before? How the game industry is a bunch of copypasta off of other games?

ValentineBlacker

Aug 30, 2009
wildpeaks said:
ValentineBlacker said:
Portal is something else that the fans have nearly ruined for me before I even got a chance to play it. Yeah, so I'm 18 months behind, who isn't?
I got another spoiler for you then: in the end, you die, we all do..
Does that mean you'll refuse living just because you know how it ends ?

So imho, play the game and find out for yourself if you like it or not, don't listen to the smegheads :)
I will, I've got it on Steam 8D.

yosophat

Apr 15, 2009
Hey Yahtzee why do you criticize "randomness" as a way to be funny when you yourself are random; comparing menstruating women falling of a building to demonstrate the break in action, "flow", in Burnout Paradise.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
wildpeaks said:
ValentineBlacker said:
Portal is something else that the fans have nearly ruined for me before I even got a chance to play it. Yeah, so I'm 18 months behind, who isn't?
I got another spoiler for you then: in the end, you die, we all do..
Does that mean you'll refuse living just because you know how it ends ?

So imho, play the game and find out for yourself if you like it or not, don't listen to the smegheads :)
It's not so much that I know how it'll end. It's just that the jokes in Portal are only funny because they come out of the blue. They fall flat if you're expecting them. It's hard to explain to someone who didn't have Portal spoiled to them. To use your metaphor, it's not knowing that you will die, but rather coming to know, with one hundred percent certainty, that you will die in a traffic accident: everyone can live normally knowing that they'll die, but if you knew that you wouldn't be able to live normally because you'll be deathly afraid of cars.

OK, it wasn't a very good metaphor. I tried.

On another topic, SOMEONE HAS INSULTED YAHTZEE ON THE INTERNET, I MUST DEFEND YAHTZEE

On yet another topic, xkcd has a rather more relevant comic on the topic [http://xkcd.com/16/].

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I'm absolutely glad he brought the annoying tendancies of internet jokes to light.
Honestly, "the cake is a lie" gets kind of old after someone has said it to you 500+ times. Similar to how everyone quoted Borat after it came out.
Thank you Yahtzee.

And as for what another member said earlier in this Extra Punctuation. (He pulled up ZP tees). I don't think ZP had been bastardized like the rest of the jokes out there. I mean, I don't know how many people would understand (outside of the escapist) me saying "press X not to die".

Woem

May 28, 2009
Whatcha talkin 'bout Willis [http://www.vgcats.com/comics/extras/stillalive.php]?

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
The Random One said:
It's hard to explain to someone who didn't have Portal spoiled to them.
Actually, I watched the ending of the game on youtube (and before that, all the official teasers of the game) before I even played it, and at the time I wondered why people were so extatic about it. It's only after playing it that I could grasp what's really going on, so imho you can enjoy something even if you had spoilers.

Same thing with the latest Harry Potter movie, I think everyone here knows the guys get killed by the other guy (not mentionnning names, just in case), even those who don't care to know about it, but it's only when reading the book or watching the movie that you really get why.

But I think that depends of the people.

The Random One said:
OK, it wasn't a very good metaphor. I tried.
That was a good methaphor, I liked it :)

The Random One said:
On yet another topic, xkcd has a rather more relevant comic on the topic [http://xkcd.com/16/].
I'm not too fond of the monty python actually *expects to be banned any minute now for daring to say that*
I don't even crack a smile at the Ministry of silly walks sketch whereas I can be "rofl" with an episode of Red Dwarf :/

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Referencing 'The Cake is a Lie' is rather like owning a Zero Punctuation T-Shirt with a humorous saying, no?