Spongebob Not Good Enough For Ohio Cemetery

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Karloff said:
- and an identical stone put up for Walker's still living twin sister - would have to come down.
Wait... What?
I've heard of rich folk reserving a plot of land for themselves, but to have already erected a tombstone for yourself just feels a tad too much, no? What a way to hone in on our own mortality, go visit your own grave.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
BigTuk said:
Think of it this way. You're a home owner, you have a nice little house and yard in the duburbs in a nice neighborhood. Then one day your get a new neighbor that believes cutting grass is opressive and allows his lawn and weeds to grow as nature intended, he also believes that his hows should be painted in a manner akin to the face of a clown. You would not be a very happy person would you?
How someone wishes to express themselves or live is no business of mine whatsoever. As much as I hate clowns and sponge bob to a lesser degree, it really is not any of my concern and I'd be far more likely to side with said clown enthusiast if NIMBYs and busybodies stuck their oars in where it isn't welcome.

That mindset that everything must be just so and everyone else has to abide or face wrath needs to die off.

I hope the cemetery gets slapped with a big fine for causing distress on top of having the stones reinstated.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Surely they could compromise and maybe something smaller to not attract unwanted attention, I mean I understand where they're coming from because it reaalllyyy does look out of place but outright saying no is a bit far.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
BigTuk said:
-Dragmire- said:
The Spongebob stone is creepy but I feel the caretakers should respect the wishes of the family.
It;s not so simple. It's not that they have anything against Spongebob but seriously, it's either have one upset family or at least 4 others who expected a reverent and dignified resting place for their relative and see that it's now adjacent to SPongebob. One tacky headstone cheapens the whole place.

Think of it this way. You're a home owner, you have a nice little house and yard in the duburbs in a nice neighborhood. Then one day your get a new neighbor that believes cutting grass is opressive and allows his lawn and weeds to grow as nature intended, he also believes that his hows should be painted in a manner akin to the face of a clown. You would not be a very happy person would you?

Cemeteries are responsible for maintaining a certain look and decor for their environs, that's part of what you pay for. The Cemetary is well within their rights, just like even if you pay in advance for a reservation at a restaurant the management is still able to deny you entry if you show up dressed in a manner not fitting the dress-code.

This was an error on the part of the employee that handled the matter initially. Of course saner and rational heads would realize this is an easy compromise. Regilar headstone, with a reliefed Spongebob engraving. Not the ideal but the sentiment is maintained in a manner acceptable to both parties. The spongebob statue can be donated toa children's museum, playground or park which I think would make the deceased even happier, to know their headstone is a source of joy to children. It's a 3-Way win. Now if only The parties involved could get their heads out of their asses to see it.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with that rational and I don't think your home example fits. I personally don't mind the condition of other people's homes. As much as it might affect property value, I have no right or authority over what other people do with their property.

I do agree that the cemetery is at fault though as this should have been covered before the tombstone was placed.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Yeah I'm with the Cemetery on this on. This is and old and historic cemetery with a lot of reputation and dignity to uphold. If the family wants the sponge bob tombstone then by all means let them have it, in another cemetery. The cemetery is also privately owned I believe so they have every right to have the stone taken down. Frankly I find the tombstone really distasteful and would hate to see it near the grave of any of my loved ones

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
What a disgusting and horrible tombstone. It looks so cheap and tacky. If that was me I wouldn't be caught dead under it

A lot of graveyards reserve the right to apply standards to what monuments people put up for themselves. Morally, legally and ethically they can enforce what they want. Otherwise they should dig the lady up and put her in a place that is accepting of that. Maybe the cemetery can foot some of that bill to ease the whole thing.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I admit that that tombstone seems a bit... out of place.

But if it's what the person wanted, then... shouldn't we respect their wishes? I mean, it's respecting the wishes of the dead, kind of the whole reason behind graveyards in the first place.

Besides, as people already said, the cemetery originally agreed to it and, well, they fucking put the damn thing up already, so this is a lot of massive backpedalling.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I can't believe anybody can defend that tombstone. I agree that the cemetery should have stopped it from being erected in the first place but as was said, it was one persons mistake and now lots of people are suffering for it.

If you go to the grave of a relative and that monstrosity is staring at you laughing, how do you think that would make you feel?

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
I am with the cemetery here.

This is what is called a fuck up and it happens. There are no one at fault (with the possible exception of the employee that accepted the design in the first place) and it is a bad situation that needs resolving. The cemetery has done what it can by offering to cover expenses both for the original and the new stones. The next move is that of the family.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
GrayJester said:
BigTuk said:
Is that some.. culture-specific thing? Is there a certain law in your country that dictates how your front yard should look like? Because I myself couldn't care less about the look of someone else's private property. No offence, I'm just curious.

The real problem is (not even counting Home owners associations) that it will destroy resellability. Think about it. The house could be gorgeous. but the house next door has a yard that is overgrown and disgusting, and the house has a clown painted on it. How many people are going to be willing to go out in the yard to get the morning paper, or look out the kitchen window and see that? Not many.

Anyway as far as the article goes, I don't personally like it and would side with the "it's disrespectful to the cemetary" in a way, I don't hate spongebob and I think it's great the family wanted that. But my big issue is the cemetary allowed it and then backtracked after the contract was signed. I believe that however they feel about it, they should honor the initial contract.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
I can't believe anybody can defend that tombstone. I agree that the cemetery should have stopped it from being erected in the first place but as was said, it was one persons mistake and now lots of people are suffering for it.

If you go to the grave of a relative and that monstrosity is staring at you laughing, how do you think that would make you feel?
It would be even worse if you didn't know what Spongebob was, because out of context that gravestone just looks like a maniacal, grinning mockery of a US soldier riddled with bullet holes... not the best imagery for a US war cemetery.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
GrayJester said:
BigTuk said:
Is that some.. culture-specific thing? Is there a certain law in your country that dictates how your front yard should look like? Because I myself couldn't care less about the look of someone else's private property. No offence, I'm just curious.
That is how it works in the US. You can get fined and such for not keeping your property up to code and regulations and looking good. It effects property value. If your property doesn't look nice and well kept, that lowers the value of it, as well as the properties surrounding it, because when it comes to a time when a neighbor wants to sell their house and move, it could be hard to sell their house because they have a neighbor next to them that doesn't have a nice looking property and makes the place look bad, which will make some prospective buyers say no, or at least say that they should pay less for having to live next to an untidy neighbor.

I actually remember a few months ago that a coworker said that a guy he knew got a visit from the police and they told him he needed to mow his lawn and clean up his property, or he would start getting fined for every set number days that he didn't comply.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
As a man who appreciates the sponge, its sad they don't like it.
But they offered to pay for bob and for the replacement, so,
whatever.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
The family should have been a little more subtle.
Totally agree with that. It was the cemeteries damn fault for agreeing to it in the first place, though it is the families fault for not choosing a Spongebob representation that was more subtle.

I've seen plenty of gravestones that have pictures of many varieties on them, cartoon characters included, but all of them were just a small section on a normal looking gravestone. Basically like the equivalent of a small bumper sticker on a car.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
I say that people in the Ohio area should "Sponge Bob" bomb the cemetery with every kind of Sponge Bob knick knack they can get their hands on until these pretentious wankers allow the original tombstone. Historical significance my bum, these assholes are just scared that they might lose some plot sales.

The plots were paid for, the headstone was approved. I say either the cemetery backs the fuck off OR they give the family their money back and foot the bill to have these poor people's daughter relocated to a cemetery not run by effete stuffed-shirted jackasses.