Spongebob Not Good Enough For Ohio Cemetery

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
Psychobabble said:
I say that people in the Ohio area should "Sponge Bob" bomb the cemetery with every kind of Sponge Bob knick knack they can get their hands on until these pretentious wankers allow the original tombstone. Historical significance my bum, these assholes are just scared that they might lose some plot sales.

The plots were paid for, the headstone was approved. I say either the cemetery backs the fuck off OR they give the family their money back and foot the bill to have these poor people's daughter relocated to a cemetery not run by effete stuffed-shirted jackasses.
Yes let's just put tacky objects all over the graveyard with other people buried there, no need to care if you don't respect their opinions I mean why would anyone be unhappy that there loved ones grave is being disgraced just so someone can have their creepy personal tombstone. It looks horrible I would hate to have anyone of my family buried next to that thing just imagining visiting their grave with that there makes me feel sick.
Though I do agree that the cemetery needs to re-compensate the family completely for the tombstone and should try to have a tombstone made with sponge bob etched in it or a plaque with him on it

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Well, as long as the replacement is acceptable to both parties, and they're willing to meet halfway on the extra expenses. A cemetery ought to be in their right to have some standard to it.

I really hope they put that up somewhere else, though. I wouldn't mind having that as a neighbour, myself.

Chairman Miaow said:
I can't believe anybody can defend that tombstone. I agree that the cemetery should have stopped it from being erected in the first place but as was said, it was one persons mistake and now lots of people are suffering for it.

If you go to the grave of a relative and that monstrosity is staring at you laughing, how do you think that would make you feel?
It wouldn't bother me too much. It's dreadfully tacky, but it's a bit of fun, and I could need a little giggle in such a visit.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Not sure how I feel about this one. A real moral dilemma: on one hand, the Cemetery is an old one, and it's privately owned, and thus wants to keep the look and atmosphere consistent. On the other, the family wanted to do something unique for their departed, and their wishes were paid for in full but not respected. The thing that irks me most about it is that the stone was approved beforehand but after they were done with the burial the Cemetery removed the stones for being an eyesore, which comes off as underhanded at best.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
fluxy100 said:
Yeah I'm with the Cemetery on this on. This is and old and historic cemetery with a lot of reputation and dignity to uphold. If the family wants the sponge bob tombstone then by all means let them have it, in another cemetery. The cemetery is also privately owned I believe so they have every right to have the stone taken down. Frankly I find the tombstone really distasteful and would hate to see it near the grave of any of my loved ones
Then don't bury any of your loved ones with a Spongebob headstone. That's how simple this is.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
"I feel terrible that it got to this point but I'm hoping we can come out at the other end of the tunnel with a solution."
You mean like putting the fucking things back in place?

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
"It is frustrating that you entrust a cemetery to have your best interest at heart and accommodate you and your family at a hard time,"
That is a selfish view point when you share the gravesite with other people. Hell my family has a family grave site that is private and we wouldn't put something like that their. I'm sorry the cemetery can't accommodate you and ONLY you while ignoring the fact other people are laid to rest there.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
As uncaring as it sounds, I think replacing them with something else is the right decision. If I'm visiting a loved one, the last thing I want to see is a grotesquely happy and out-of-place goofy cartoon character next to the grave. It just undermines the other graves and the people who wish to mourn there. Like attending a funeral presented by a clown.

If we go with what some people in this thread are arguing about individual representation, then would they also approve of, say, a gigantic penis tombstone? I sure wouldn't. It's not so much about taste but about appropriation.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well, I agree with most people here.
That tombstone is just really bad looking and I personally believe it isn't appropriate for use in any public graveyard. The person who approved it in the first place is the one at fault here. I'm glad to hear that at the very least that the family will be given compensation for the stones and their replacements. I'm sure they'll find a middle ground with the new stones.

But something really hugs me about the design of this tombstone:
Is using a copyrighted character like this even legal?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
BigTuk said:
-Dragmire- said:
I'm sorry but I don't agree with that rational and I don't think your home example fits. I personally don't mind the condition of other people's homes. As much as it might affect property value, I have no right or authority over what other people do with their property.

I do agree that the cemetery is at fault though as this should have been covered before the tombstone was placed.
So let me get this straight,... you admit that you have no right to dictate what someone else does to their property, but you grant them to right to change your property? How very, very odd.

You need to remember that the freedom to swing your arms around stops three inches (four in some laws) from someone elses face.
... K, you lost me. I grant them the right to change my property? There is no direct altering of property, they didn't vandalize my home. I don't consider my property value change as a result of others doing what they will with their own property as my responsibility. It can be frustrating to have neighbors like that which is unfortunate, that's all.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
There are two sides to this really:

The rational: an employee made a mistake at the graveyard, they're being more than fair by offering to pay for both stones, it doesn't really fit in with a graveyard etc.

and

The emotional: the poor family, ex service person, it was what they wanted etc.

As usual I'm siding with the rational. Death is an emotive subject to some people as is the army it was always going to become an argument. The analogies already posted in this thread which remove those emotional triggers are apt, the people calling them not equivalent are pretty much admitting it is simply an emotional reaction.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
fluxy100 said:
Yeah I'm with the Cemetery on this on. This is and old and historic cemetery with a lot of reputation and dignity to uphold. If the family wants the sponge bob tombstone then by all means let them have it, in another cemetery. The cemetery is also privately owned I believe so they have every right to have the stone taken down. Frankly I find the tombstone really distasteful and would hate to see it near the grave of any of my loved ones
This.

I see a lot of people empathising with the family who want the garish tombstone, but what of the other families who visit the remains of their loved ones? Are they not entitled to the dignified, sombre place of reverence they wanted when they put their corpse in the ground?

Personally, and a little off topic, I find the reverence that society shows for dead bodies baffling, and I'd be all for mandatory organ donation (where usable organs can be harvested) and cremation for all... As I say though, a little off-topic, and one which leans heavily on my own lack of religious beliefs (and lack of respect for anybody elses religious beliefs).

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Perhaps they could put up a little tent around it? Or some enclosure? Could look rather pretty, couldn't it?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Ironic that her headstone was a burger chef and she was apparently killed by a condiment (Mayo).
Still, I'm sure Kim wouldn't have wanted to make every feel so Kraby for her sake.
Too soon.

OT:
I'm torn about this. On one hand it seems better to respect the wishes of the family, but on the other hand I'm willing to bet they would receive complaints from other families if they left the spongebob stone up, so its an ugly situation. I think the one thing we can all agree on here is that whoever killed this woman needs to end up in prison for a very long time.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
So if I understand it, the graveyard accepted the gravestone, with the appropriate signing of documents and money passing hands and whatnot, and then they shat themselves from complaints and demolished it without the family's knowledge?

Okay. They done goofed. Seriously, NOONE thought that it might be a bad idea to have the thing? I personally think it looks awful, but you don't just sign a deal and take people's money, and then go back on it without warning just because third parties have a problem with it. Much less when passed loved ones are concerned. Those other families could wait until they arranged a compromise instead of being so selfish and demanding it had to be demolished right away.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Infernal Lawyer said:
So if I understand it, the graveyard accepted the gravestone, with the appropriate signing of documents and money passing hands and whatnot, and then they shat themselves from complaints and demolished it without the family's knowledge?

Okay. They done goofed. Seriously, NOONE thought that it might be a bad idea to have the thing? I personally think it looks awful, but you don't just sign a deal and take people's money, and then go back on it without warning just because third parties have a problem with it. Much less when passed loved ones are concerned. Those other families could wait until they arranged a compromise instead of being so selfish and demanding it had to be demolished right away.
1)We don't know the whole story, for all we know they just said we would like a spongebob character as the head stone. But didn't know it would be that big

2)The cemetery said they would refund the head stone and pay for a new one (if i read the article right), so no one is screwing anyone over. The family is displeased they can't put what they want their.

Ravage

Aug 24, 2013
My question is this... Is this what the fallen vet wanted? Or the family? If it's NOT what the vet wanted, the family has no place desecrating her final resting place. If it's what she wanted, then it's a different story. I mean, if it meant a big deal to the family, put a charm or something on her grave representing the cartoon, but don't shape her grave that of her "favorite" cartoon character.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
SILENTrampancy said:
Yes, cuz the dead really care about their image. If yhou had an issue with it, you should of said something before they put the damn tombstone up, now you're making the family deal with the burial process even longer than they should and prolonging a painful experience.

Nobody wants to bury their child. Its the most horrible thing a parent can live with. Don't compouind it with your damn bullshit about preserving dignity and whatnot.
Child what? The deceased is a three tour Iraqi war veteran...

OT: It's just tasteless, if it was a little one or an engraving then sure no problem but that thing is HUGE. Plus as was said if someone doesn't know which character it is they'd assume the holes are bulletholes. They should have really known better tbh.