SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I will never hold an OLYMPIAN to an unreasonable standard of excellence. If they tried and failed, guess what? They still succeeded where countless hundreds and thousands failed. Work harder, get better, get 'em next time, but I will NEVER say they're not good enough and I certainly won't call their efforts "a clown show."
That's what hurt so much! Lewis had some points, but the way he went about it was beyond unnecessary. He's acting like he lost the fucking event. I have my respect for certain athletes, but not blind loyalty nor Godlike worship. You have your fucking accolades, and you've struggled, failed, and made mistakes too, Lewis! Not everyone is you! The USA won a lot of medals any way, and even if those from our country didn't, I am proud of all of them! We can't win all the time! With mental health being a big thing for everyone competing, those men, women, trans, whoever, don't need that insulting biatch-in-a-boxstand bullshit! No one deserves that. Not even from countries or governments of those countries I heavily dislike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So Messi passed on continuing his contract at Barca. I was surprised, last I heard it was pretty much a done deal.

Not too big of a loss for them I feel. They've got in some great talent recently (as far as I can tell) and it's time for Messi to move on. Where he will go is the question now, and I have feeling we'll see him in the Premier league. Or hell, maybe he'll even retire.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Okay nevermind, a friend explained the Messi situation to me, and all I can think is... how? How the fuck did Barca screw this up?

Gonna be weird seeing Messi in PSG, and even weirder seeing him, Neymar, and Mbappe on a single team. Perhaps one more Champion's League title will satisfy him.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In Olympic news: man is robbed of his gold medal for being too good at his sport.

TL;DR? During a medal-deciding bout of Karate between Sajad Ganjzadeh (Iran) and Tareg Hamedi (Saudia Arabia,) Hamedi kicked Ganjzadeh so hard, he went flat-on-his-back unconscious with his eyes open. The kick, in a combat sport, was deemed "too forceful;" Hamedi was disqualified, and Ganjzadeh was awarded the gold... y'know, once they were able to wake him up.

The Saudi was very graceful about the decision, accepting the judges' ruling in stride and taking the silver with pride. *I* would not have done the same. But still, color of the medal aside, he's got national pride and YouTube videos for all eternity that show who clearly won that bout.

But that gold medal... I would hate to be Ganjzadeh. He can't take any pride in that "victory." It's one thing in an event to move up into a medal after another competitor is disqualified for one reason or another, but to move up into gold because another competitor directly knocked you the FUCK out in a fight? I wouldn't tell ANYONE that I won that medal. In fact, I'd probably pull a Biff, expatriate to Saudi Arabi and spend my days being Hamedi's b****.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
While definitely a loser's way to "win" a medal (as are most DQ's), this version of karate isn't full contact. Japanese sports have a lot of these traditional rules about honorable competition. Sumo and Kendō have them as well iirc, and probably many others.
Yeah, I get that much, but in the video, it doesn't appear Hamedi was going for excessive contact. It just happened that Ganjzadeh was attacking (moving forward) at the same time Hamedi was attempting a legal attack of his own, and in that instance, Ganjzadeh got knocked the fuck out. Awarding the loser of the simultaneous attacks the gold just feels cheap because the only reason it's even an issue is BEACUSE he got knocked the fuck out, i.e.: had he stood up and kept fighting, this wouldn't be news-worthy. It was an unfortunate situation, but Hamedi did nothing wrong; giving his gold medal to the guy he out-maneuvered in stunning fashion flies in the face of competition. If we're fighting, and you slip and bust your teeth on my foot while I'm trying to kick your shin, I'm not culpable for your dental bill; it happened during an altercation in which we both assumed risks. Sometimes you get slapped in the teeth; doesn't mean you get to win the fight when it happens.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, what a clusterfuck of a Belgian Grand Prix in Formula 1 yesterday. They should have just postponed it before it even started, and they KNOW it.

Constant rain led to several false starts and Sergio Perez wrecking out trying to get back to the grid for the start (Lando Norris wrecked badly the day prior in the rain during practice.) The only driver who thought it was doable was Max Verstappen... because he was on pole and not dealing with the rooster tails of spray off the track that reduced visibility to ZERO for everyone behind him.

Solution?

Just do a couple laps behind the safety car, no overtaking allowed, and award podiums to the de facto top 3 qualifiers: Verstappen, Russell and Lewis.

Wait, what? Russell??

Yep, the rainy conditions put Russell in P2 during qualifying Saturday, and since the race couldn't be run where Russell would have almost immediately been overtaken by the plethora of talent and better cars behind him, he took a podium. Just fucking dumb.

And still no word on the whole Bottas vs. Russell at Mercedes talk yet. Apparently team principle and CEO Toto Wolfe HAS made a decision, but is waiting to announce anything until next month. This has been the most frustrating story to follow. My hope is that Lewis Hamilton's desire to keep Bottas at Mercedes held some weight with Wolfe, but given how this season has been going for me and my guy, I'm 99% certain he's going to get the boot. Bottas out practiced Hamilton every day until the rain hit, and he ended up qualifying P8 with a 5-place grid penalty from the accident in Hungary, so was relegated to P12, and without an actual race, he "finished" out of the points while the male lesbian Russell took a P2 trophy for just being there.

And what's worse? We watched the whole thing like a couple of idiots. 4 hours of watching it rain in the hopes we might get SOME racing in, but no.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah, I get that much, but in the video, it doesn't appear Hamedi was going for excessive contact. It just happened that Ganjzadeh was attacking (moving forward) at the same time Hamedi was attempting a legal attack of his own, and in that instance, Ganjzadeh got knocked the fuck out. Awarding the loser of the simultaneous attacks the gold just feels cheap because the only reason it's even an issue is BEACUSE he got knocked the fuck out, i.e.: had he stood up and kept fighting, this wouldn't be news-worthy. It was an unfortunate situation, but Hamedi did nothing wrong; giving his gold medal to the guy he out-maneuvered in stunning fashion flies in the face of competition. If we're fighting, and you slip and bust your teeth on my foot while I'm trying to kick your shin, I'm not culpable for your dental bill; it happened during an altercation in which we both assumed risks. Sometimes you get slapped in the teeth; doesn't mean you get to win the fight when it happens.
I saw this medal fight and it reminded me of a kumite style karate tournament I attended that a friend was competing in. There were 2 divisions (and many weight classes in each) which were an under 18 light contact (similar to the olympic version) and an over 18 full contact division. In the full contact points determined winner, regardless of circumstance. If you were down on points and knocked out your opponent, the opponent would win being up on points when the match was stopped when one competitor could not go on. I was told that the reasoning was, it was a demonstration of technique... against a living and moving target that was also trying to demonstrate technique on you. The point wasn't to incapacitate or injure, so those factors would never figure into win vs loss. And strangely enough, injuries and knockouts in that tournament were entirely in the under 18 division. My friend explained that the competitors in the full contact division all had enough control and precision... as well as good enough defense, that actual injuries or knockouts were very rare as competitors were more concerned with displaying correct technique and scoring points rather than doing damage. Many competitors in the under 18 division lacked the control to avoid delivering a full contact strike, and much like Hamedi would wind up losing via disqualification.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I saw this medal fight and it reminded me of a kumite style karate tournament I attended that a friend was competing in. There were 2 divisions (and many weight classes in each) which were an under 18 light contact (similar to the olympic version) and an over 18 full contact division. In the full contact points determined winner, regardless of circumstance. If you were down on points and knocked out your opponent, the opponent would win being up on points when the match was stopped when one competitor could not go on. I was told that the reasoning was, it was a demonstration of technique... against a living and moving target that was also trying to demonstrate technique on you. The point wasn't to incapacitate or injure, so those factors would never figure into win vs loss. And strangely enough, injuries and knockouts in that tournament were entirely in the under 18 division. My friend explained that the competitors in the full contact division all had enough control and precision... as well as good enough defense, that actual injuries or knockouts were very rare as competitors were more concerned with displaying correct technique and scoring points rather than doing damage. Many competitors in the under 18 division lacked the control to avoid delivering a full contact strike, and much like Hamedi would wind up losing via disqualification.
If that bout was meant to be determined by technical ability and not forceful contact, does it not track that a guy who lunges forward exposing his head to a quick, easy kick to it and gets knocked out is lacking in technical ability? I still assert that Hamedi's kick did not look too or intentionally forceful; I think it was just on the winning side of a two-body collision, i.e.: you add Ganjzadeh's forward-moving head force to the force of Hamedi's kick, and you effectively double the overall impact, and, well, lights out for the guy leading with his head.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Well, what a clusterfuck of a Belgian Grand Prix in Formula 1 yesterday. They should have just postponed it before it even started, and they KNOW it.

Constant rain led to several false starts and Sergio Perez wrecking out trying to get back to the grid for the start (Lando Norris wrecked badly the day prior in the rain during practice.) The only driver who thought it was doable was Max Verstappen... because he was on pole and not dealing with the rooster tails of spray off the track that reduced visibility to ZERO for everyone behind him.

Solution?

Just do a couple laps behind the safety car, no overtaking allowed, and award podiums to the de facto top 3 qualifiers: Verstappen, Russell and Lewis.

Wait, what? Russell??

Yep, the rainy conditions put Russell in P2 during qualifying Saturday, and since the race couldn't be run where Russell would have almost immediately been overtaken by the plethora of talent and better cars behind him, he took a podium. Just fucking dumb.

And still no word on the whole Bottas vs. Russell at Mercedes talk yet. Apparently team principle and CEO Toto Wolfe HAS made a decision, but is waiting to announce anything until next month. This has been the most frustrating story to follow. My hope is that Lewis Hamilton's desire to keep Bottas at Mercedes held some weight with Wolfe, but given how this season has been going for me and my guy, I'm 99% certain he's going to get the boot. Bottas out practiced Hamilton every day until the rain hit, and he ended up qualifying P8 with a 5-place grid penalty from the accident in Hungary, so was relegated to P12, and without an actual race, he "finished" out of the points while the male lesbian Russell took a P2 trophy for just being there.

And what's worse? We watched the whole thing like a couple of idiots. 4 hours of watching it rain in the hopes we might get SOME racing in, but no.
An absolute farce. So they have every single piece of racing technology under the sun that can measure time to a nano second but the weather apps on their phones weren't working that day. They should have called the whole thing off after the first hour, the reaction from the drivers afterwards indicates they would have preferred that to the bullshit they pulled.

I've said it before, as long a Lewis wants Bottas there, Bottas will stay there. If Russell is considered in any way a No1 driver Lewis will veto it all day, no way he's letting anyone challenge his spot.

Also, in honour of Kimi Raikkonen announcing his retirement I present one of the greatest moments in the history of the sport: Kimi's McLaren failing at Monocao and him proceeding to walk straight to his yacht in full racing gear to join his friends in the the hot tub.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
An absolute farce. So they have every single piece of racing technology under the sun that can measure time to a nano second but the weather apps on their phones weren't working that day. They should have called the whole thing off after the first hour, the reaction from the drivers afterwards indicates they would have preferred that to the bullshit they pulled.
Which part was the farce? Not cancelling after Perez's pre-race crash? Seb and company playing football in the garage? Norris taking a nap on camera? Or was it the two laps behind the safety car with no overtaking allowed "race?" Yeah, complete waste of time; I can't believe I watched the whole thing...

I've said it before, as long a Lewis wants Bottas there, Bottas will stay there. If Russell is considered in any way a No1 driver Lewis will veto it all day, no way he's letting anyone challenge his spot.
I dunno anymore. With everyone else having contracts, Kimi's retirement announced, and Lewis' extension announced months ago, I find it hard to believe Wolfe is holding out just announcing Bottas' extension if that's what it is. Something is going on, and it feels like they're working out the details. I think Bottas is going to Alfa Romeo, and there's rumors that Giovinazzi is out of AR too, so that's two seats they're looking to fill. I just really hope he doesn't fall to Williams; that'd be a huge slap in the face given all his done for Mercedes.

Also, in honour of Kimi Raikkonen announcing his retirement I present one of the greatest moments in the history of the sport: Kimi's McLaren failing at Monocao and him proceeding to walk straight to his yacht in full racing gear to join his friends in the the hot tub.

That man is a fucking legend. I wish I could hang out with him, but I'm almost certain he wouldn't like me.

Reactions: Offworlder