SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So it seems that Djokovic is pissed enough about what happened to buy a company that's developing Covid "cures". Either that, or he's hoping to make a quick buck riding the clout he's gained with the anti-vax crowd.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well...that was unexpected

I did have The Bengals to win (though I think that is considered a upset, I don't think anyone was Holy SHIT!!!!!! surprised that The Bengals won)

The 9ers winning feels like a HOLY SHIT!!!! surprise :D

I love it

(For the record, I have Bills and Rams moving on today so if I'm right, I want it written down and if I'm wrong, I'll just pretend like it didn't happen and just never bring it up)

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Djokovic came here after spewing anti-vax bullshit, got around travel protocols by lying about his vaccination status with some made up ‘medical exemption’, tested positive for covid and went out in public anyway, and bitched and moaned about persecution. Theres still some wannabe patriots trying to martyr him as some champion of freedom, but they’re fucking insane.
Did he lie about having covid? Natural immunity is as good (and better by all peer reviewed studies) as vaccination so he should be able to play based on actual science. I couldn't care less how much of an asshole or not he is.

Well...that was unexpected

I did have The Bengals to win (though I think that is considered a upset, I don't think anyone was Holy SHIT!!!!!! surprised that The Bengals won)

The 9ers winning feels like a HOLY SHIT!!!! surprise :D

I love it

(For the record, I have Bills and Rams moving on today so if I'm right, I want it written down and if I'm wrong, I'll just pretend like it didn't happen and just never bring it up)
I can't see the Bengals winning it all with that o-line, so many fucking sacks. The Packers seem to be kinda cursed in the playoffs ever since they won that last super bowl, they always seem to lay an egg in the playoffs. To me, the Bills are kinda the same, they look like world beaters at times but just can't string enough good games together against good teams so I gotta take Mahomes and the Chiefs. It would be super interesting to see a Rams/Niners conference final because the Rams failed to eliminate the Niners and that usually comes back to bite you, but I can't bet against Brady.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Did he lie about having covid? Natural immunity is as good (and better by all peer reviewed studies) as vaccination so he should be able to play based on actual science. I couldn't care less how much of an asshole or not he is.

I can't see the Bengals winning it all with that o-line, so many fucking sacks. The Packers seem to be kinda cursed in the playoffs ever since they won that last super bowl, they always seem to lay an egg in the playoffs. To me, the Bills are kinda the same, they look like world beaters at times but just can't string enough good games together against good teams so I gotta take Mahomes and the Chiefs. It would be super interesting to see a Rams/Niners conference final because the Rams failed to eliminate the Niners and that usually comes back to bite you, but I can't bet against Brady.
I want it to be a Bengals Rams Super Bowl just for the storylines (Bengals for not getting in for 30ish years and now get to the big dance and The Rams because Matthew Stafford deserves nice things after pissing away his career in Detroilet) but I have a hard time seeing that actually happening for The Bengals (although as The 9ers just proved, teams who should win/lose on paper are not always the winner/loser).

Honestly though, especially after the 9ers defense held so damn well, I could see any of these teams making it all the way. I don't think 9ers or Bengals have a very high chance of going much farther but you get hot at the right time, it can all come together. It's the beauty of the one and done style of football versus something like hockey,k baseball or basketball. One bad game in those sports and you're still very much in it but you don't get that luxury in football.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I want it to be a Bengals Rams Super Bowl just for the storylines (Bengals for not getting in for 30ish years and now get to the big dance and The Rams because Matthew Stafford deserves nice things after pissing away his career in Detroilet) but I have a hard time seeing that actually happening for The Bengals (although as The 9ers just proved, teams who should win/lose on paper are not always the winner/loser).

Honestly though, especially after the 9ers defense held so damn well, I could see any of these teams making it all the way. I don't think 9ers or Bengals have a very high chance of going much farther but you get hot at the right time, it can all come together. It's the beauty of the one and done style of football versus something like hockey,k baseball or basketball. One bad game in those sports and you're still very much in it but you don't get that luxury in football.
I like seeing bad teams get good (I'm a Cubs fan) so I'd like seeing a team like the Bengals win it all but IMO they just aren't there yet, though Burrow is the guy for sure. The Niners aren't impressive on paper but a team that plays good defense and can run the ball is fucking dangerous and can win any game (which modern NFL seems to forget), the Niners really seem like that kinda team you "don't wanna play". The Rams definitely have more talent but they make too many mistakes. Both the games today were insane, I do just watch the 15 minute Youtube highlights because I'd rather not spend 3 hours on each game. The Bills lost because prevent defense prevents you from winning. I really can't stand the so-called prevent defense in most situations that it's deployed. I really didn't think KC's kicker was gonna make that kick though, bad juju throughout the game. Tony Romo at the end was going nuts "Thi-This is just unfathomable. The Bills had won this game, it was over, Josh Allen with a perfect post-season. And Patrick Mahomes somehow comes out there and shows the world 'I'm still here'."

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Stressful weekend of NFL football, but I couldn't ask for better results.

My Niners' Robbie Gould's gaming-winning field goal that put the final nail in The Packers' coffin had me screaming so loud, I lost my voice. My girlfriend is a special person to put up with me during a Niners' game, especially this one. I had about a dozen friends and family call to congratulate me (and check on me because I threatened suicide if we lost,) and she had to take the calls because I literally couldn't speak. Now we just need to beat the Rams ONE. MORE. TIME. and punch our ticket to the Super Bowl. No one saw us here. No one saw us past the Cowboys. No one saw us past the Packers in Green Bay and 0-degree weather, but we made it. Our defense is stupid good, and Jimmy G has mitigated the mistakes to a manageable level to the point that when we click on all sides of the ball... we can beat ANYONE.

And that Bills v Chiefs game... wow. I know I'm parroting most people saying this, but they really need to change the overtime rules. And the fact that so many people have been saying it for YEARS, it makes one wonder why they haven't found a better set of rules. Each team should have at least one possession in OT regardless of the results of the first possession under a strict 10-minute time limit. I know there would be some kinks to account for the myriad potentialities, but flipping a coin and effectively saying the first to score a touchdown wins gives you that shit we say yesterday. Both Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes were playing lights out; making Allen just sit by and watch as Mahomes did what he always dose without a chance to respond was painfully unfair given how far the young quarterback had come and elevated his team in such a short time.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

My Niners' Robbie Gould's gaming-winning field goal that put the final nail in The Packers' coffin had me screaming so loud, I lost my voice. My girlfriend is a special person to put up with me during a Niners' game, especially this one. I had about a dozen friends and family call to congratulate me (and check on me because I threatened suicide if we lost,) and she had to take the calls because I literally couldn't speak. Now we just need to beat the Rams ONE. MORE. TIME. and punch our ticket to the Super Bowl. No one saw us here. No one saw us past the Cowboys. No one saw us past the Packers in Green Bay and 0-degree weather, but we made it. Our defense is stupid good, and Jimmy G has mitigated the mistakes to a manageable level to the point that when we click on all sides of the ball... we can beat ANYONE.

And that Bills v Chiefs game... wow. I know I'm parroting most people saying this, but they really need to change the overtime rules. And the fact that so many people have been saying it for YEARS, it makes one wonder why they haven't found a better set of rules. Each team should have at least one possession in OT regardless of the results of the first possession under a strict 10-minute time limit. I know there would be some kinks to account for the myriad potentialities, but flipping a coin and effectively saying the first to score a touchdown wins gives you that shit we say yesterday. Both Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes were playing lights out; making Allen just sit by and watch as Mahomes did what he always dose without a chance to respond was painfully unfair given how far the young quarterback had come and elevated his team in such a short time.
I sure as hell didn't since Jimmy G has the arm strength of a toddler with brittle bones right now but hey, a W is a W no matter how it looked. I don't think you're getting past The Rams (and my dream Superbowl of Benglas v Rams is still in play!) but I didn't think you were getting past The Cowboys and I didn't think you were getting past the Packers so....

Also my favorite tweet ever (posting as a pic since it's easier to see what they're responding to since you need both for the joke)
Boycott.jpg

Also yes, the OT rules are dumb and desperately need to be changed. That game deserved more football damn it!!!

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States

The Bills and Chiefs game was Football no some defensive errors and special teams could of been better but overall that was football. We are at a stage where if these franchises don't do a stupid this will be a defining rivalry of the 2020s. Hell the young QB talent of the AFC is insane with Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Burrow and hell Herbert we are at the apex and ooh this will be a good times for football.

As for the overtime there has to be something better than coin flip. Watching that game everyone knew who ever won was going to win. Now both teams need to invest in defense next draft but either way if that had went to Buffalo we be having a different discussion. Now I can understand why they don't do it like college cause injuries especially before Super Bowl but yeah something has to be done better.

Overall we have Super Bowl without Brady and no Green Bay and Aaron Rodger descent into goofy ass is so sweet his Win Loss ratio against my Bears means nothing now.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I sure as hell didn't since Jimmy G has the arm strength of a toddler with brittle bones right now but hey, a W is a W no matter how it looked. I don't think you're getting past The Rams (and my dream Superbowl of Benglas v Rams is still in play!) but I didn't think you were getting past The Cowboys and I didn't think you were getting past the Packers so....
NO ONE saw us coming...

I know Jimmy G isn't as flashy as some of the other "star QBs, and it's the zeitgeist to hate on him, and he's made some really poor decisions... but look at his results: the 49ers win almost 70% of the time with him starting under center. At one point this season, he had the highest QB rating in the league. He made it through the Cowboys with a torn ligament on his throwing hand, then added a shoulder injury to the same arm when he went to Green Bay and beat the frontrunner for the league MVP in 0-degree weather. But everyone ignores that when he throws his signature interception everyone else sees coming from a mile away every damn game. He ain't perfect, but he plays to our team's strengths: running the damn football. The Niners don't need a "Mahomes" or "Rodgers" throwing 60-yards down field when we have the weapons to run it that far at much lower risk with the added benefit of eating up tons of clock.

Also my favorite tweet ever (posting as a pic since it's easier to see what they're responding to since you need both for the joke)
View attachment 5391
Welp, I guess Aaron Rodgers showed us!!

Also yes, the OT rules are dumb and desperately need to be changed. That game deserved more football damn it!!!
As for the overtime there has to be something better than coin flip.
I heard a lot of the pundits defending the existing OT rules, citing that defense is a part of playing the game, and the onus falls on them to stop the offense to get their team's chance at the ball. To that I say true, but defensive scoring is a lot more rare than offensive scoring; it's by far and away the exception than the rule. By taking away the potential for the offensive side of the team that loses the coin toss to ever see the field, you've taken away, I dunno, 90% of their opportunity to score and put it on the 10% they've got left in defense which just flies in the face of the previous 3 hours of effort the team as a whole had put in.

It's also funny that if the first team to possess the ball in OT finishes their first drive with only a field goal, THEN the other team gets a possession. It's almost like their trying to say if the first drive ends in maximum points (a touchdown,) the game is over, but if anything is left, then we play on. Fine, then make the first drive have to end with a touchdown AND 2-point conversion. Make that first offense completely maximize their potential; make that offense do everything they possible can in that single drive since the defense has to do their everything possible.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The defense of OT rules I'm hearing is "get it done in 60 minutes... don't let it go to OT and depend on a coin flip." In that regard I can understand it. Plenty of opportunity for the Chiefs to stop the Bills that didn't happen. Could have hit instead of missed on a field goal early. And the Bills, don't want that coin flip... don't let the Chiefs score in 13 seconds when your chance of victory was 91% at that point. But yes, I don't really like it either. The NHL has different OT rules for the regular season and post season, no reason the NFL couldn't come up with something else.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The defense of OT rules I'm hearing is "get it done in 60 minutes... don't let it go to OT and depend on a coin flip." In that regard I can understand it. Plenty of opportunity for the Chiefs to stop the Bills that didn't happen. Could have hit instead of missed on a field goal early. And the Bills, don't want that coin flip... don't let the Chiefs score in 13 seconds when your chance of victory was 91% at that point. But yes, I don't really like it either. The NHL has different OT rules for the regular season and post season, no reason the NFL couldn't come up with something else.
While I understand the ideal of "if you don't like OT rules, then don't play yourself into OT." But the less pragmatic, more optimistic view is what we saw Sunday night: two exceptional teams literally meeting their match, playing the game of football at extremely high levels. You can't "fault" them for being that damn good and playing an amazing game. You shouldn't throw out the spirit of the sport simply because the contest went to the bitter end, and say "meh, flip a coin; first to score wins. Oh, by the way, given the way you both played on both sides of the ball, there's a 99.99999% chance the team that wins the flip is gonna win."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
While I understand the ideal of "if you don't like OT rules, then don't play yourself into OT." But the less pragmatic, more optimistic view is what we saw Sunday night: two exceptional teams literally meeting their match, playing the game of football at extremely high levels. You can't "fault" them for being that damn good and playing an amazing game. You shouldn't throw out the spirit of the sport simply because the contest went to the bitter end, and say "meh, flip a coin; first to score wins. Oh, by the way, given the way you both played on both sides of the ball, there's a 99.99999% chance the team that wins the flip is gonna win."
Sports talk today and yesterday here in Chiefs country is overtime rules... followed by should the Bills have squibbed the kickoff to burn more clock. And/or the deep and sideline coverage that let Kelce get those yards over the middle with a timeout left to call. The latter of which I'm simply answering by saying hindsight is 2020 and you never know exactly how things "would have" turned out. And the OT rules... a few seasons ago the same OT rules cost the Chiefs a trip to the Super Bowl. And the Bills... and the rest of the league, didn't agree when the Chiefs wanted to look into changing the OT rules in the playoffs. Maybe someone will want to now. I'm just not sure anyone in the NFL front office cares enough to even look into it. It isn't hurting them in any way they care about.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
"The Bills should have stopped them and not had to worry about OT" and "OT is a stupid setup and desperately needs changing" can both be true. I don't get why pundits are so confused about that...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Sports talk today and yesterday here in Chiefs country is overtime rules... followed by should the Bills have squibbed the kickoff to burn more clock. And/or the deep and sideline coverage that let Kelce get those yards over the middle with a timeout left to call. The latter of which I'm simply answering by saying hindsight is 2020 and you never know exactly how things "would have" turned out. And the OT rules... a few seasons ago the same OT rules cost the Chiefs a trip to the Super Bowl. And the Bills... and the rest of the league, didn't agree when the Chiefs wanted to look into changing the OT rules in the playoffs. Maybe someone will want to now. I'm just not sure anyone in the NFL front office cares enough to even look into it. It isn't hurting them in any way they care about.
Hindsight is 20/20, yes, but my guess is the squib would have put Mahomes even CLOSER to the end zone rendering any time bled off the clock a moot point seeing what he did from practically the other end of the field. But coulda, woulda, shoulda...

I get that OT isn't an ideal outcome, but since a tie isn't an option in the playoffs, the rules need to change to reflect the different circumstances. Have a 10-minute OT; both teams get a possession, but make the 2-point attempt mandatory. Both offences get the chance they deserve, the 2-point mandate makes for high risk/high reward football that almost guarantees one team will fail, and the hard stop at 10 minutes doesn't "inconvenience" spectators watching a hard-fought game too much. If they manage to be tied at the end of the 10 minutes... I dunno, maybe do the college thing, and trade possessions starting at the opponent's 25-yard line until someone fails to punch it in. OT gets progressively faster, and gives both teams their fair shot.

As to why the league won't review their rules, it makes no sense. They already changed them a few years back, and the complaints haven't stopped. Games like Bills v Chiefs only serve to highlight what's wrong with the rules. True, they're not losing any money, but being the only one to offer your product shouldn't be carte blanche to ignore your customers' complaints with your product, particularly when the change being called for is a relatively easy fix.

"The Bills should have stopped them and not had to worry about OT" and "OT is a stupid setup and desperately needs changing" can both be true. I don't get why pundits are so confused about that...
Both ARE true. Pragmatically, one could argue the Chiefs should have scored more points in regulation and won outright, right? For all intents and purposes, the Chiefs needed OT to win, but history is written by those who win, so the rules will favor them when the story is told.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I agree the defense could do better but you also have to ignore that NFL games rules have been leaning towards making it easier to have high octane offense and gimping defense so it feels so self defeating.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I agree the defense could do better but you also have to ignore that NFL games rules have been leaning towards making it easier to have high octane offense and gimping defense so it feels so self defeating.
Amen, brother. Defense can't touch the passer, can't touch the kicker, can't hold at the line, the backs can barely touch the receivers, etc. I won't be so dramatic to say they can't play hard and effective defense, but the league has really softened up in recent years making it much more difficult for defense while giving offense more and more opportunity to draw flags to their benefit.

EDIT: I understand a lot of the changes have been for safety reasons, and I'm all for that; player safety should always come first. But I'd appreciate some rule changes that restrict the offense a little more, too. Like, I dunno, I'm spit-balling here:

• Make throwing the ball away to avoid a sack a penalty akin to intentional grounding? Demand more of the QBs they're protecting.
  • Call more offensive pass interference. It happens damn near every time receivers and backs get into hand fighting considering the defender has to be facing the ball for his contact not to be defensive pass interference, so effectively he has to have his eyes in two places at once: the receiver he's chasing AND the ball.
  • Get rid of the pylon touchdowns; make the ball have to cross the plane proper. I'd much prefer the intensity of another goal line play than an easy 6 points for touching something on the fringes of the end zone.
Not saying any of those are a great solves, but as we've lightened up on the offense, we're seeing more and more frustration on the defensive side. It used to be a 14-13 game could have been a great, well-earned fight. Nowadays, 36-40 is damn near expected, and terrifying defenses like the '85 Bears are basically illegal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarrito3002

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Amen, brother. Defense can't touch the passer, can't touch the kicker, can't hold at the line, the backs can barely touch the receivers, etc. I won't be so dramatic to say they can't play hard and effective defense, but the league has really softened up in recent years making it much more difficult for defense while giving offense more and more opportunity to draw flags to their benefit.
I can understand sort of like seeing hits from the 70s and 80s especially and you got guys like Jim McMahon being in a nursing home with dementia in his early 50s and hell Aikman seems to just not have any awareness of space. So I get maybe dialing it back not putting QBs through tables in the middle of the field but holy hell there is only so much.

But player safety feels like glossing compared to some big suit analytics about high scoring game drawing money so lets make offense the focus.

I almost have more respect for the defensive player now than yester year seeing them flourish with this many restrictions on hand.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I can understand sort of like seeing hits from the 70s and 80s especially and you got guys like Jim McMahon being in a nursing home with dementia in his early 50s and hell Aikman seems to just not have any awareness of space. So I get maybe dialing it back not putting QBs through tables in the middle of the field but holy hell there is only so much.

But player safety feels like glossing compared to some big suit analytics about high scoring game drawing money so lets make offense the focus.

I almost have more respect for the defensive player now than yester year seeing them flourish with this many restrictions on hand.
Excellent point, there's something to be said for becoming a star defensive player like Aaron Donald or Nick Bosa despite their every move toeing the line between clean shot and a critical penalty, but still, making the game easier for offence while hamstringing defense feels wrong.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
We sort of hashed out an interesting OT playoff scenario for NFL that I like. One team starts at their own 20, the clock starts at 0:00 and counts UP otherwise it runs and stops exactly like it does in regulation. Once that possession ends, the other team gets the ball on their 20. The clock starts where it ended up and counts down. When it runs out the game is over. Score determines the winner, in the case of a tie the win goes to the team with the ball second... because obviously they scored more quickly. In the unlikely event that time can't tiebreak the game... well we didn't get that far. We were trying to come up with something like the NHL's shootout, but those of us who are hockey fans actually really hate the shootout so we weren't really trying to help much.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We sort of hashed out an interesting OT playoff scenario for NFL that I like. One team starts at their own 20, the clock starts at 0:00 and counts UP otherwise it runs and stops exactly like it does in regulation. Once that possession ends, the other team gets the ball on their 20. The clock starts where it ended up and counts down. When it runs out the game is over. Score determines the winner, in the case of a tie the win goes to the team with the ball second... because obviously they scored more quickly. In the unlikely event that time can't tiebreak the game... well we didn't get that far. We were trying to come up with something like the NHL's shootout, but those of us who are hockey fans actually really hate the shootout so we weren't really trying to help much.
That's actually kinda brilliant. Makes OT a battle of the 2-minute offense. I like it.