SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That's actually kinda brilliant. Makes OT a battle of the 2-minute offense. I like it.
One of the features we liked is the choice if team 1 scores a touchdown. 2 pt conversion makes the other team have to go for 2... but it is most likely going to add a few more seconds on the clock than an extra point would. Especially because we were going back and forth on making that a feature of the extra point, that it costs 0 seconds on the clock.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
One of the features we liked is the choice if team 1 scores a touchdown. 2 pt conversion makes the other team have to go for 2... but it is most likely going to add a few more seconds on the clock than an extra point would. Especially because we were going back and forth on making that a feature of the extra point, that it costs 0 seconds on the clock.
Yeah, I really like the idea. How would you handle turnovers? For instance, let's say defense gets an interception on the first team's possession after 30 seconds. Does the second team now only have 30 seconds and the clock winds down, or do they get their clock counting up from zero?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah, I really like the idea. How would you handle turnovers? For instance, let's say defense gets an interception on the first team's possession after 30 seconds. Does the second team now only have 30 seconds and the clock winds down, or do they get their clock counting up from zero?
We were kind of torn on that one. Some wanted that to be a game over, defense wins. Then others pointed out that "that means only one defense gets a chance to get a win with a stop." Which while correct, I thought "who cares." But obviously someone would. We eventually settled on a turnover of any kind would result in the 2nd team having no time limit to get their "game winner" in that case being any kind of score. No clock running, team 1's d would have to force a turnover of some sort to stay alive.

And yesterday we hammered out either no points or tie continuing. Another OT, same rules, but starting on the 50-yard-line. There was also another situation some of us liked this creates. Team one is stopped on 3rd down and kicks a FG. Team 2 can win with a FG... if the ball goes through the uprights before the clock hits 0:00 because tiebreaker goes to the clock and there is time left. It gives it a kind of basketball buzzer beater sort of feel and creates a kind of "do we kick it from here for the win or get closer with another play that stops the clock to make it a sure tie with a FG going through at 0:00?" And of course team 1 will be kind of incentivized on 4th and long to take a shot from pretty long distances on FG tries. Attempts from 70 to 75 yards or so will happen more often. Not much more... but more often.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Finally, we can breathe.
Not so fast. It's still unofficial. His agent is "speculating" he will announce his retirement... soon. I hate how shit like this drags out, especially during playoffs. We have four teams vying for the Super Bowl, yet everyone is talking about what Brady and Rodgers are/might be doing.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We were kind of torn on that one. Some wanted that to be a game over, defense wins. Then others pointed out that "that means only one defense gets a chance to get a win with a stop." Which while correct, I thought "who cares." But obviously someone would. We eventually settled on a turnover of any kind would result in the 2nd team having no time limit to get their "game winner" in that case being any kind of score. No clock running, team 1's d would have to force a turnover of some sort to stay alive.

And yesterday we hammered out either no points or tie continuing. Another OT, same rules, but starting on the 50-yard-line. There was also another situation some of us liked this creates. Team one is stopped on 3rd down and kicks a FG. Team 2 can win with a FG... if the ball goes through the uprights before the clock hits 0:00 because tiebreaker goes to the clock and there is time left. It gives it a kind of basketball buzzer beater sort of feel and creates a kind of "do we kick it from here for the win or get closer with another play that stops the clock to make it a sure tie with a FG going through at 0:00?" And of course team 1 will be kind of incentivized on 4th and long to take a shot from pretty long distances on FG tries. Attempts from 70 to 75 yards or so will happen more often. Not much more... but more often.
I proposed this rule change to a friend of mine, and he agrees; it'd be awesome. Use your clout in the industry to make it happen. NOW. I demand it.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm not...against the 49ers to make it but Jimmy G looks so hobbled and broken out there that I think it would make The Superb Owl incredibly boring for a non-fan of the team.
I appreciate that. Jimmy G isn't why we're winning, and he is hurt, but the fact that we ARE winning with him makes for a great story, and a repeat of '88... man, I wanna win this game more than most. If he can get healthy in a couple of weeks...

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I gotta say the Rams have the Super Bowl in the bag. The Chiefs are 29th in the league in sacks and The Rams are 3rd in the league in sacks. That Bengals O-line is not gonna hold up.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
(Sorry Xprimentyl, The Grinch is because my hopeful Superb Owl came true, not directed at you for your team going down)
Meh, it's ok. T'was the great Mr. Denzel Washingon in The Equalizer who said "the old man's gotta be the old man; the fish gotta be the fish." And Jimmy G's gotta be Jimmy G.

I started to suspect the meltdown was inevitable when Jimmy G made it to the 4th quarter without throwing one of his signature picks whilst also throwing a lot more than anyone anticipated. When the Rams tied it with 13 unanswered in the same quarter, I said it out loud:

I didn't even watch the last minute. I didn't need to. On to next year...

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I proposed this rule change to a friend of mine, and he agrees; it'd be awesome. Use your clout in the industry to make it happen. NOW. I demand it.
Well, I know a team owner... of an Arena Football team. I'll run it by him. Only slightly less farfetched, one of my show's hosts has media access with the Broncos. He's met the GM and owner. Maybe if we get it written down he can get it to them somehow. Chance of success... equal to a housekeeper leaving a spec script where an actor can find it.

I guess you wouldn't know until you try though. What the hell, we'll try.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, I know a team owner... of an Arena Football team. I'll run it by him. Only slightly less farfetched, one of my show's hosts has media access with the Broncos. He's met the GM and owner. Maybe if we get it written down he can get it to them somehow. Chance of success... equal to a housekeeper leaving a spec script where an actor can find it.

I guess you wouldn't know until you try though. What the hell, we'll try.
Holy shit, dude; I was obviously joking, but that'd be amazing.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Holy shit, dude; I was obviously joking, but that'd be amazing.
Well, it's probably wasted effort. But really just getting it into something that looks like a professional rules pitch shouldn't take too much more than some googling and formatting. Then print it out and hope for the best. Can't hurt to try.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Tom Brady retires. There goes the one NFL player I know.
It's not entirely official just yet, as in Tom Brady hasn't said it himself. Things like this rarely break news quickly or smoothly; the talking heads will drag out the speculation for as long as possible since they're running out of stuff to talk about. Also, it's a big decision for Brady; I'm sure he's vetting his options, looking long-term, considering his family, etc. Long-story-short, until you hear the words come out of his mouth, Tom Brady is still the one football player you know.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
It's not entirely official just yet, as in Tom Brady hasn't said it himself. Things like this rarely break news quickly or smoothly; the talking heads will drag out the speculation for as long as possible since they're running out of stuff to talk about. Also, it's a big decision for Brady; I'm sure he's vetting his options, looking long-term, considering his family, etc. Long-story-short, until you hear the words come out of his mouth, Tom Brady is still the one football player you know.
Actually it is official now. I know, the weekend's jumping of the gun by a lot of sporting news outlets (the one I work for is totally guilty as well.) But I think today's announcement is from him and the official word. It looks like it is from his personal instagram account, so I suppose it could be a hack.