SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I understand, and my thought along those lines is that the "somewhere" is the Chiefs.

I was being facetious. I know who the Browns are named after, I was just picking the team with most innocuous, inoffensive image and name, and jesting that all other teams should follow suit. I didn't know the city owned the name, though. Interesting. Makes one wonder if that shouldn't be the case for all cities that host major franchises.
Yeah, that line is before "Chiefs." As for the Browns, I think the city ownership thing is only because of some clever legal wrangling around Modell moving the team. As far as other host cities... that is a good idea. Let's hope our favorite cities were paying attention when that happened.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Started to post this in Current Events, but realized any traction the discussion might garner there would turn into an argument with people not really interested in the NFL, so I'm posting it here.

Ex-head coach of the Miami Dolphins files a class-action lawsuit against several teams citing systemic racism throughout the league.

Of the 32 teams in the league, only 3 head coaches are minorities: Mike Tomlin (Steelers,) Robert Saleh (Jets,) and Ron Rivera (Commanders.) In the early 2000s, the league instituted the Rooney Rule which mandates that for each head coaching vacancy, teams must interview at least two minority prospects before settling on their final decision. It was later amended mandating that one of those minority candidate has to be from outside of the organization seeing as many teams were wet-noodling their attempts to satisfy the rule by "interviewing" candidates from within their organization who were never likely candidates for the position.

Flores was fired after two consecutive winning seasons, something the Dolphins hadn't done in a while. In his accusations, he claims ownership tried to incentivize him to tank, $100K per loss, trying for higher draft picks. He also alleges ownership asked him to illegally scout prospects, and when he refused, he was invited onto a yacht trip that "coincidentally" happened to be docking in a location where one of said prospects happened to be. He refused to meet with him to stay within the bounds of league rules. Shortly afterwards, the Dolphins said effectively that Flores was difficult to work with [sic].

He further claims that in 2019, he interviewed with the Denver Broncos. According to him, their representatives (one of which is Hall of Fame QB John Elway) showed up late, appearing disheveled and purportedly hungover.

There's been a lot of solidarity from minority coaches and assistant coaches, but there are just few enough of them to make there collective scream a whisper.

ESPN Reporter Adam Schefter made an excellent point: the onus on both sides to prove guilt OR innocence is extremely hard. I mean, I could see if the coaching pool was equally divided with an equal number of white and minority candidates, and the league still only managed less than 10% parity, there might be some underlying issues. But seeing as there ARE fewer minority candidates, is this just how things panned out? On the other side, many eligible minority coaches have experience in the game if not in the league itself (what is it, something like 75% of NFL players are minorities?); what better bullet on a resume can one have than "I've done the jobs I'm expected to manage at a high level." And less experience playing the game, many minority coaches have experience coaching as assistants and have track records of success, but have lost out on opportunities to lesser candidates for reasons unknown.

I'll qualify my sentiments by saying as a black man, my ears tend to perk up when minority people in positions of significance claim racism. I mean, they've made it; why would the rock the boat and risk everything if there wasn't some merit to their claims? Flores' accusations are very specific and easily disproven if untrue, and conversely they are easily proven if proper documentation exists. Either way, one party or the other is risking a LOT to maintain a lie or expose a truth.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just one example, here in Chiefs country we don't want to lose Eric Bieniemy. But after everything he's done here... how can noboby have given him a shot at a head coaching job? I'm not saying its race, there are other stupid reasons to not hire Bieniemy... but its enough to make me wonder if that isn't a factor. And people are starting to ask questions. WCCO in Minnesota recently had Tony Dungy on and asked him about it. He made in interesting comparison.

https://www.audacy.com/wccoradio/ne...ares-his-thoughts-on-the-brian-flores-lawsuit

My own bias is generally against someone with enough money to own an NFL franchise, so it's easy for me to believe there's something systemic there. I recognize that. And I recognize the courage someone like Flores is showing kicking off this lawsuit. Even should he win he's Kapernick levels of shunned in the league now. So I'm hoping he gets the W... which if there's enough merit to his claim will probably happen in the form of a settlement we'll never see the specifics of.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Started to post this in Current Events, but realized any traction the discussion might garner there would turn into an argument with people not really interested in the NFL, so I'm posting it here.

Ex-head coach of the Miami Dolphins files a class-action lawsuit against several teams citing systemic racism throughout the league.

Of the 32 teams in the league, only 3 head coaches are minorities: Mike Tomlin (Steelers,) Robert Saleh (Jets,) and Ron Rivera (Commanders.) In the early 2000s, the league instituted the Rooney Rule which mandates that for each head coaching vacancy, teams must interview at least two minority prospects before settling on their final decision. It was later amended mandating that one of those minority candidate has to be from outside of the organization seeing as many teams were wet-noodling their attempts to satisfy the rule by "interviewing" candidates from within their organization who were never likely candidates for the position.

Flores was fired after two consecutive winning seasons, something the Dolphins hadn't done in a while. In his accusations, he claims ownership tried to incentivize him to tank, $100K per loss, trying for higher draft picks. He also alleges ownership asked him to illegally scout prospects, and when he refused, he was invited onto a yacht trip that "coincidentally" happened to be docking in a location where one of said prospects happened to be. He refused to meet with him to stay within the bounds of league rules. Shortly afterwards, the Dolphins said effectively that Flores was difficult to work with [sic].

He further claims that in 2019, he interviewed with the Denver Broncos. According to him, their representatives (one of which is Hall of Fame QB John Elway) showed up late, appearing disheveled and purportedly hungover.

There's been a lot of solidarity from minority coaches and assistant coaches, but there are just few enough of them to make there collective scream a whisper.

ESPN Reporter Adam Schefter made an excellent point: the onus on both sides to prove guilt OR innocence is extremely hard. I mean, I could see if the coaching pool was equally divided with an equal number of white and minority candidates, and the league still only managed less than 10% parity, there might be some underlying issues. But seeing as there ARE fewer minority candidates, is this just how things panned out? On the other side, many eligible minority coaches have experience in the game if not in the league itself (what is it, something like 75% of NFL players are minorities?); what better bullet on a resume can one have than "I've done the jobs I'm expected to manage at a high level." And less experience playing the game, many minority coaches have experience coaching as assistants and have track records of success, but have lost out on opportunities to lesser candidates for reasons unknown.

I'll qualify my sentiments by saying as a black man, my ears tend to perk up when minority people in positions of significance claim racism. I mean, they've made it; why would the rock the boat and risk everything if there wasn't some merit to their claims? Flores' accusations are very specific and easily disproven if untrue, and conversely they are easily proven if proper documentation exists. Either way, one party or the other is risking a LOT to maintain a lie or expose a truth.

Thoughts?
Sounds to me like he doesn’t need to accuse them of being racist since my reading is that they’re basically trying to match fix by bribing the coach. Like, the racial discrimination at that point is the cherry on top.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Just one example, here in Chiefs country we don't want to lose Eric Bieniemy. But after everything he's done here... how can noboby have given him a shot at a head coaching job? I'm not saying its race, there are other stupid reasons to not hire Bieniemy... but its enough to make me wonder if that isn't a factor. And people are starting to ask questions. WCCO in Minnesota recently had Tony Dungy on and asked him about it. He made in interesting comparison.

https://www.audacy.com/wccoradio/ne...ares-his-thoughts-on-the-brian-flores-lawsuit

My own bias is generally against someone with enough money to own an NFL franchise, so it's easy for me to believe there's something systemic there. I recognize that. And I recognize the courage someone like Flores is showing kicking off this lawsuit. Even should he win he's Kapernick levels of shunned in the league now. So I'm hoping he gets the W... which if there's enough merit to his claim will probably happen in the form of a settlement we'll never see the specifics of.
I thought I heard Bieniemy's name being tossed around as a candidate for HC somewhere earlier this year, but not since all of the vacancies that opened up in the last few weeks. It is curious why an OC who nearly made it 3 consecutive SBs isn't getting more buzz.

And Dungy is absolutely right; current situation aside, Taylor had two consecutive losing seasons with the Bengals, 6 wins in 32 games, and kept his job. And now that their in the SB, he's probably set for a while as long he continues having success, and with the kind of talent he has now, that could be a while. Flores had two consecutive winning seasons, something Miami hadn't done since 2016, and not since 2008 since then. Seems to be a double standard at best.

Agreed, Flores is mostly likely done in the league either way this pans out.

Sounds to me like he doesn’t need to accuse them of being racist since my reading is that they’re basically trying to match fix by bribing the coach. Like, the racial discrimination at that point is the cherry on top.
It's the systemic racism he's addressing. The bribes are only one allegation with one team; Flores is leveling action against the entire LEAGUE.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
@Kyrian007, looks like Bieniemy is interviewing with the Saints soon. They're my second favorite team; I'd love to see him land that job.

EDIT: Nothing personal, but the sting of SB54 is still fresh, and I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs kneecapped...

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've been thinking through ways to add to the Rooney Rule and hiring/firing practices in general. I was thinking teams who interview for an HC could maybe submit what'd be effectively a scouting report for each candidate to a diversity committee on their team. Have the discussions, plead their individual cases for and against certain candidates, and decide that way.

Same when it comes to firing a coach. Every job I've ever had has had a course for disciplinary action; you get warnings, write-ups, improvement plans, etc. No HC with a winning record, let alone consecutive winning records, should fear for their job unless there are other issues ownership feels are affecting their performance. If there are other issues, it should be documented and the HC involved in the evolving discussion, i.e.: tell them what ownership has a problem with and give them the chance to adjust.

Ownership has too much power. I know they own their teams, but their teams are but a piece of a larger whole that transcends their ownership. Robert Kraft owning the Patriots means dick if there is no NFL for them to participate in. I know Goodell is but one man, but they should maybe have to submit hiring/firing request to him and a league-wide diversity committee? But that becomes a slippery slope of potentially forcing teams to hire or keep HCs they don't feel fit.

I dunno, but something needs to change.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara was arrested on battery charges after the Pro Bowl. C'mon, Alvin! He always seemed like one of the good guys; I hate to hear stuff like this from ANY player, but from Kamara, it stings extra. If George Kittle ever gets tangled up in dumb shit like this, I'll have an existential crisis.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Formula 1's Valtteri Bottas (my favorite driver) has moved on from Mercedes to Alfa Romeo, but I still follow Mercedes on social media. Seeing all their posts about the "new team" of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell feels like I'm stalking an ex. Doesn't help that Hamilton has stated that Bottas was "the best teammate [he] ever had;" it's like watching him forced into an arranged marriage.

Here's hoping Russell falls flat and squanders this opportunity or causes enough fuss refusing to play a #2 role that the team kneecaps him. Probably won't happen, but going back to my ex analogy, a sordid part of me would take great joy in "her" misery after me. I wouldn't dislike him so much had it not been for the crash he and Bottas had in Imola last year where, instead of checking on Bottas' safety, he went over in the carnage to cuss Bottas out. Bottas responded with a one-finger salute.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
With the NFL racism stuff, it seems clear to anyone paying even a little bit attention that black coaches have a hell of a uphill battle to get the chance to do anything (while shitty white coaches will get chance after chance after chance after chance after chance).

Depressingly enough though, Flores demonstrating yet another racist practice is going to do far less damage to The NFL than if he can prove the bribery stuff. We're Americans, we don't give two shits about racism but you start fucking with our sports and gambling...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
With the NFL racism stuff, it seems clear to anyone paying even a little bit attention that black coaches have a hell of a uphill battle to get the chance to do anything (while shitty white coaches will get chance after chance after chance after chance after chance).

Depressingly enough though, Flores demonstrating yet another racist practice is going to do far less damage to The NFL than if he can prove the bribery stuff. We're Americans, we don't give two shits about racism but you start fucking with our sports and gambling...
As much as I don't like the Steelers, I've always felt badly for their HC Mike Tomlin. He always looks like a guy with a target on his back, but has avoided the kill shot with consistent success. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out for him after losing an institutional quarterback like Roethlisberger. I wonder if the Steelers see a slump having to adjust to a new QB, would it take one or two losing seasons before they toss Tomlin out like yesterday's garbage, or given his track record (no losing seasons in 14 years,) and the volatile state of the league and its pronounced-if-tacit racial bias, is he effectively untouchable?

And yeah, it is sad that America wants to sweep racism under the rug, but the moment the integrity of a game is brought into question, people want to get up in arms. Or how one guy taking a respectful knee during the anthem most don't stand for themselves is a problem. Or how changing a team name from a slur to a placeholder while they seek out something more acceptable is an affront to an institution they supported for decades.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
As much as I don't like the Steelers, I've always felt badly for their HC Mike Tomlin. He always looks like a guy with a target on his back, but has avoided the kill shot with consistent success. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out for him after losing an institutional quarterback like Roethlisberger. I wonder if the Steelers see a slump having to adjust to a new QB, would it take one or two losing seasons before they toss Tomlin out like yesterday's garbage, or given his track record (no losing seasons in 14 years,) and the volatile state of the league and its pronounced-if-tacit racial bias, is he effectively untouchable?

And yeah, it is sad that America wants to sweep racism under the rug, but the moment the integrity of a game is brought into question, people want to get up in arms. Or how one guy taking a respectful knee during the anthem most don't stand for themselves is a problem. Or how changing a team name from a slur to a placeholder while they seek out something more acceptable is an affront to an institution they supported for decades.
Oh good point, we DO care about racism in the NFL

The right to have racial slurs as our team names!

:D

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I’m going to my first live sport in 6 months and I’m so fucking keen. Australia vs Sri Lanka T20. Probably gonna be a one sided body bag and it’s supposed to rain, but getting to actually have the opportunity to go out and see some live sport is a sign life is getting back to some form of normalcy.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So Super Bowl 56 happened last night, Bengals at Rams. Leading up to the game, I figured the Bengals were a longshot to win, and during the game that "longshot" became a "likely;" I was shocked. But as all things and destiny, the Rams squeaked out their overdog fate to win by 3. It was a good game, and as much as I hate the Rams, I am happy for Matt Stafford. He was the only and best thing going for that dumpster fire in Detroit for over a decade. His talent was squandered up there, so I'm glad he got his shot with a decent team and won a ring. Now, he can retire happy and get the hell out of my division; my Niners already have 99 problems in the NFC West.

Reactions: Offworlder

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
So Super Bowl 56 happened last night, Bengals at Rams. Leading up to the game, I figured the Bengals were a longshot to win, and during the game that "longshot" became a "likely;" I was shocked. But as all things and destiny, the Rams squeaked out their overdog fate to win by 3. It was a good game, and as much as I hate the Rams, I am happy for Matt Stafford. He was the only and best thing going for that dumpster fire in Detroit for over a decade. His talent was squandered up there, so I'm glad he got his shot with a decent team and won a ring. Now, he can retire happy and get the hell out of my division; my Niners already have 99 problems in the NFC West.
Best Super Bowl since 28-3. Donald and McVay get their ring, Stafford gets his redemption. Sucks for Cincinnati but they’re a young determined team, they’ll be back on top in no time. Perhaps a more inspiring hire at head coach is needed, but the core is there.

I know its the biggest meme in the league at the moment but Cinnci NEED those O line signings this offseason. They broke the record for most sacks on the QB in Super Bowl history. Burrow can talk about being loyal all he wants but how many sacks can he take before he walks.

Mostly happy to see my boy Von Miller win it all again, especially with there already being rumours of him coming back to Denver. Come home baby.

Also lmao at the news of Kyler Murray apparently burning bridges and perhaps looking for a way out of Arizona. Dude might from saviour to despised in less than five seasons.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It was a great game, which is all I ultimately wanted

I was cheering for The Rams (or more specifically Stafford who happened to be a Ram) so I'm happy with the result but both sides had a great story to go with a Superbowl win so I was good either way.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Best Super Bowl since 28-3. Donald and McVay get their ring, Stafford gets his redemption. Sucks for Cincinnati but they’re a young determined team, they’ll be back on top in no time. Perhaps a more inspiring hire at head coach is needed, but the core is there.

I know its the biggest meme in the league at the moment but Cinnci NEED those O line signings this offseason. They broke the record for most sacks on the QB in Super Bowl history. Burrow can talk about being loyal all he wants but how many sacks can he take before he walks.

Mostly happy to see my boy Von Miller win it all again, especially with there already being rumours of him coming back to Denver. Come home baby.

Also lmao at the news of Kyler Murray apparently burning bridges and perhaps looking for a way out of Arizona. Dude might from saviour to despised in less than five seasons.

It was a great game, which is all I ultimately wanted

I was cheering for The Rams (or more specifically Stafford who happened to be a Ram) so I'm happy with the result but both sides had a great story to go with a Superbowl win so I was good either way.
I had some stake in this game. I couldn't root for the Rams; they're divisional opponents and the immediate reason my Niners weren't in the SB this year (well, them and Jimmy G can't sort shit out and be as reliable as he is handsome.) Fuck the Rams. Specifically Cooper Kupp. Jesus, how defenses manage to let him get that open every, single play is infuriating! Double team him! At all times! I mean, someone should be covering him right NOW! I'm surprised he hasn't caught COVID; he catches everything! I seriously don't want to deal with him twice a year for the next 5-10 years.

The Rams have created a problem for the NFC West. They've put together a Frankenstein's monster of talent that is going to a be high hurdle going forward. The 49ers have the pieces to be dangerous, but until we can sort out a consistent and competent QB, we're going to forever be a degree short of turning our hot water into steam.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Welp, Michael Masi has been replaced as the Formula 1 race director.

For a recap as to why, here ya go.

This basically had to happen. Someone had to go down for one of the sport's biggest controversies, why not the guy standing dead center of the eye of the storm? At least he's keeping his employment in another capacity within the FIA, though, if I were Masi, I'm not sure I'd want to stick around being the sport's biggest pariah right now. The moments leading up to Masi's decision in Abu Dhabi last year cast massive doubt on the integrity of Formula 1, and procedures going forward are all being reviewed. It's all everyone's been talking about ever since, even going so far as to say Verstappen's asterisk'd championship should be stripped. I don't think that fixes anything; the damage is done, and what happened threaded the needle of being within the rules then, so no fault of Verstappen's. Time to pick up the pieces and move on.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Welp, Michael Masi has been replaced as the Formula 1 race director.

For a recap as to why, here ya go.

This basically had to happen. Someone had to go down for one of the sport's biggest controversies, why not the guy standing dead center of the eye of the storm? At least he's keeping his employment in another capacity within the FIA, though, if I were Masi, I'm not sure I'd want to stick around being the sport's biggest pariah right now. The moments leading up to Masi's decision in Abu Dhabi last year cast massive doubt on the integrity of Formula 1, and procedures going forward are all being reviewed. It's all everyone's been talking about ever since, even going so far as to say Verstappen's asterisk'd championship should be stripped. I don't think that fixes anything; the damage is done, and what happened threaded the needle of being within the rules then, so no fault of Verstappen's. Time to pick up the pieces and move on.
I think as fans we were spoiled having Charlie as race director for so long. He had decades of experience and very few slip ups. I think its brutal to axe him, its a difficult position to learn on the job let alone make choices in situations like Abu Dhabi. I just hope it doesn’t lead to a cycle of recycling RD after big moments, they need to build someone up to a point of a veteran in order to have some stability.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think as fans we were spoiled having Charlie as race director for so long. He had decades of experience and very few slip ups. I think its brutal to axe him, its a difficult position to learn on the job let alone make choices in situations like Abu Dhabi. I just hope it doesn’t lead to a cycle of recycling RD after big moments, they need to build someone up to a point of a veteran in order to have some stability.
I only had a couple years worth of Whiting, but honestly, the position of race director never really registered on my radar until Abu Dhabi 2021. Probably because the stakes were so high this time, but I never realized how much power that position wielded. But I agree, firing, well "replacing" Masi was harsh, but what choice did they have? Someone's head had to roll, and they weren't about to take Verstappen's WDC. So they made concessions: Masi's out, no more broadcasting communiques between teams and the director, and it sounds like they're looking to get the director help, not unlike the reviews in the NFL done in New York, so it should be a bit smoother... provided the WDC battle isn't as close as it was last year.