SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Penalties. You'd almost have to go through the entire rule book and assign time count ups/downs for every single one just for overtime. Trying to make that as fair as possible, especially when penalties offset, would be a nightmare. You'd be constantly year after year tweaking rules for decades trying to get it right. That is something he was right about. The owners want to make one change, and have it just work and that's the end of it. So any new rule was going to be simple with as few changes as possible. And I don't like that... but I kind of get it and understand too. And, that's just kind of a natural pitfall of this kind of "design by committee" that they have in the NFL.
Ah, makes sense. The rule book truly is a house of cards; changing something at the bottom (fundamentally) risks everything.

Reactions: Kyrian007

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Who the hell let Logan Paul into the WWE? I stopped caring for wrestling all the way back in 2008, but the only reason I'm shocked (but not that shocked), is because I was watching WrestleMania with my older brother. The only reason I did that was to spend time with him, because he went to go to Tennessee for a work project for the week. This is exactly why I don't bother with the WWE anymore. I know AEW is good, but like I said before, my interests in wrestling dropped years ago.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Who the hell let Logan Paul into the WWE? I stopped caring for wrestling all the way back in 2008, but the only reason I'm shocked (but not that shocked), is because I was watching WrestleMania with my older brother. The only reason I did that was to spend time with them, because he went to go to Tennessee for a work project for the week. This is exactly why I don't bother with the WWE anymore. I know AEW is good, but like I said before, my interests in wrestling dropped years ago.
We, as a society, need to put social media attention whores back in their place, and quit allowing them to bleed into the goings on of regular society. I care nothing for wrestling, haven't since the early '90s, but seeing Logan Paul's name mentioned does little more than raise my blood pressure wherever I see it. It's my sincerest hope he gets his ass whooped, and not in the scripted way; I want him to take the thin side of a folding chair to the cranium.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We, as a society, need to put social media attention whores back in their place, and quit allowing them to bleed into the goings on of regular society. I care nothing for wrestling, haven't since the early '90s, but seeing Logan Paul's name mentioned does little more than raise my blood pressure wherever I see it. It's my sincerest hope he gets his ass whooped, and not in the scripted way; I want him to take the thin side of a folding chair to the cranium.
Bad news first: he and The Miz won the tag team against Rey Mysterio and his son. I pretty much decided to leave her home after that. Decent news: Miz betrayed him and gave him an ass kicking. But even with that, my mood was still sour and I decided to leave. I am still happy I was able to spend time with my older brother. That is what is most important.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bad news first: he and The Miz won the tag team against Rey Mysterio and his son. I pretty much decided to leave her home after that. Decent news: Miz betrayed him and gave him an ass kicking. But even with that, my mood was still sour and I decided to leave. I am still happy I was able to spend time with my older brother. That is what is most important.

Not going to lie Logan Paul ate during that match. He played into being the bad guy to perfection and I had a smidgen of respect out of audacity when he did the Eddie Guerrero shimmy to do a frog splash.

Honestly Paul could easily transition into wrestling a be a major heel and I would not even be upset.

The Pauls can still go fuck themselves but for that performance got to give the devil his due.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Pauls can still go fuck themselves but for that performance got to give the devil his due.
Do as you wish, but the fucker gets nothing, but my apathy and major contempt. There is no respect for a person like him and his brother.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
As a Kansan, I gotta ask anyone here on the forum who might be a college basketball fan... How many national championships until everyone else hates KU as much as people hate Duke? Everybody likes the underdog, nobody but the home team likes "the dynasty..." so how many Final Fours until people are saying "ugh... the Jayhawks again?"

It is just a curiosity, honestly I don't care about basketball at any level. But as someone working in sports radio, in Kansas, today... I'm getting inundated with it. Kind of gauche to ask on air today, and here I wouldn't get a very valid picture of what people actually think. So I'll ask here. How much sports success does it take to instill "sports hate?" Like Bill Belichick, Duke, or anyone who dominates a sport for an extended time.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As a Kansan, I gotta ask anyone here on the forum who might be a college basketball fan... How many national championships until everyone else hates KU as much as people hate Duke? Everybody likes the underdog, nobody but the home team likes "the dynasty..." so how many Final Fours until people are saying "ugh... the Jayhawks again?"

It is just a curiosity, honestly I don't care about basketball at any level. But as someone working in sports radio, in Kansas, today... I'm getting inundated with it. Kind of gauche to ask on air today, and here I wouldn't get a very valid picture of what people actually think. So I'll ask here. How much sports success does it take to instill "sports hate?" Like Bill Belichick, Duke, or anyone who dominates a sport for an extended time.
I don't follow basketball either, but the "hate" for successful sports franchises I think usually sets in around 3 championships (or whatever the pinnacle of the sport is) within a short amount of time. I think it points a lack of parity when the same teams are always on top while everyone else spins their tires beneath them, and kinda soils the spirit of competition.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So Tiger Woods is playing in the Masters, and is actually being competitive. Don't let the [as of now] 24th place fool you; he's only 3 strokes off the leader. I don't think he's going to win if I'm being honest, but seeing him come back after that horrific accident and compete at a high level is tremendous.

Woods undoubtedly is the best thing that ever happened to golf. Prior to him, golf was an old, rich white man's sport that only old, rich white men paid attention to (I'm being hyperbolic; calm down,) but when this young black/Asian kid hit the scene with the kind of talent that had the old, rich white men raising their eyebrows, the sport skyrocketed in popularity. Suddenly, everyone of every stripe was tuning in to see Tiger. More people went out to try to play it themselves. Popularity with young people skyrocketed. Golf owes Woods a lot. Not that he needs anything, but his name has been drawing unprecedented crowds for over 25 years unlike anyone else ever. Yes, golf had a lot of greats before him, but most people probably didn't know who they were before Tiger because golf held such uninteresting spectatorship.

I just hope he does well. Being even in the first round while several golfers are already in the high +'s gives me hope.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't get it: the NFL hosts games in Europe, and Americans are fine with it; we actually LIKE seeing the British stadium filled with jerseys from every NFL team and LIKE the idea that the NFL has gained fandom in other parts of the world. European Formula 1 fans seeing more Americans getting into "their" sport?
1649685646465.png

I've never seen more uppity, snobbish people in my life, looking down on "peasants" they deem to be disgracing their sport with their plebian eyeballs.

Anyway, I stayed up until midnight in 'Murica to watch the Australian Grand Prix Saturday. Yes, I was wearing my MAGA hat, drinking Bud Light with my sister-wife and the confederate flag blowing in the background. Good race, and a well earned win for LeClerc. It appears he's going to be the next driver to hate on for his success. Ferrari looks fucking amazing (well, LeClerc looks amazing; Sainz has some work to do, but he's still a threat to the rest of the field in that car.) And Bottas finished in the points again with his Alfa Romeo which is all I really wanted when he started in P12. The P8 finish is even more impressive given the only cars that finished in front of him were contenders for a championship, i.e.: a Ferrari, a Red Bull, BOTH Mercedes and BOTH McClarens. Ocon managed to get his Alpine up there into P7, but that was an anomaly; Alonso was much stronger in the same car and would have finished higher had he actually finished the race.

Funny, I mentioned in another thread that I recently got my buddy in F1, and he called me Sunday morning, laughing, talking about how Bottas sucked and wasn't going to finish in the points. I asked what he was talking about; P8 IS in the points. He asked what I was talking about; the race wasn't over. I realized he was watching a replay, and thought he was watching the live race. I laughed my ass off, asking on what planet are the US and Australia both in daylight? What's funnier is this same friend of mine is a flat-earther.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Also, apparently the F1 race director changed the safety car restart rules because of Max Verstappen's penchant for pulling along side the race leader (not overtaking, as that's not allowed) to get a jump on the leader. Apparently, he also used this tactic to watch the race leader's steering wheel indicators to get an idea of when they were actually about to pull off and restart the race. They're calling it the "Verstappen Rule." Verstappen isn't happy obviously, as at every restart, to say he was on LeClerc's ass is an understatement.

1649695757007.png

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
John Rahm, 3rd in the PGA Tour rankings, on playing with Tiger Woods at the Masters:

1649768538611.png

Everyone cheers for Tiger, even his competitors. Yet another testament to how important Tiger has been to golf. Rahm is but one, but several prominent golfers today have said Tiger is the reason they got into the sport. There are a lot of athletes that have been great at their sports, but as far as I know, Tiger is the only athlete who made his sport great. He didn't do so well this weekend (to put it mildly,) but when you get a standing ovation after a poor job, you know you're loved and respected.

I personally think he should retire. He's done enough, MORE than enough. He's got nothing left to prove; he's literally done it all. Bow out gracefully and don't go out on a low note, though with his name, no one will ever NOT want to see him play.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

I don't have anything to add because I don't care about basketball but this might be a first in any sport...

According to that one person on there, her shirt says "Glen Taylor Roasts Animals Alive". Glen Taylor is the majority owner of the Timberwolves so presumably she is protesting him in some way.

Though funny enough, I have heard that the Timberwolves started off HORRIBLY in this game and her actions might have inadvertently given them the chance to kill the momentum of the opponents and get their own heads on straight. So if her plan was to mess with the owner, it may have backfired somethin fierce if it keeps going this way...

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I don't have anything to add because I don't care about basketball but this might be a first in any sport...

According to that one person on there, her shirt says "Glen Taylor Roasts Animals Alive". Glen Taylor is the majority owner of the Timberwolves so presumably she is protesting him in some way.

Though funny enough, I have heard that the Timberwolves started off HORRIBLY in this game and her actions might have inadvertently given them the chance to kill the momentum of the opponents and get their own heads on straight. So if her plan was to mess with the owner, it may have backfired somethin fierce if it keeps going this way...
In a perfect world, the glue would have worked, and play would have continued as usual. Take a shot of booze every time a player caroms the ball off her head.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fuck me, and not the in consensual way, in the forced "PLEASE, NO, STOP!!" sorta way. Deebo Samuel has requested a trade away from the 49ers.

I thought it was a money thing; we're in "salary cap issues" territory, and Deebo wants to be paid, but apparently, he wants out because of his usage in Kyle Shanahan's offence. He's a wide receiver, but comes out of the backfield more often than he'd like, getting beat up just trying to get TO the line of scrimmage let alone beyond it for positive yardage. If he leaves (and it appears that's inevitable,) we're basically down to George Kittle and Brandon Aiyuk insofar as offensive threats, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, that puts us one injury away from being a one-trick pony on very thin ice. God forbid BOTH get injured.

Plus we still haven't figured out Jimmy G's situation. Taking a mediocre QB and removing his most dangerous weapon is basically a recipe for disaster. And that's assuming Jimmy G even stays! Trey Lance is waiting in the wings to take over, but seeing as he's only played in the NFL for about 7 minutes, I don't expect him to be a difference-maker any time soon. As much as it hurts, I'm in the "give Jimmy G one more year" camp; "better the devil you know" n'such...

In the NFC West, I feel like we're bleeding in the water with the sharks circling. I wish we would make some moves like the Rams did last year, i.e.: go out and get some big-name talent and build to win NOW; two NFC Championships and a Super Bowl appearance in 3 years? We need to strike NOW while we've got the young talent that's used to big games!! I fear 2022 might be another 4-13 season (well, "another losing season" given last year was the first 17-game season, but you get my drift.) I can only imagine what the Bills fans went through when they went to and lost 4 consecutive Super Bowls; to come that close to victory time and time again.... ugh, had that been my Niners, I'd have probably killed myself.

Last edited:

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

So this is getting weird...

We're in the playoffs. 3 of our 5 games have had a protest at them with someone storming the court. We are 3 and 2 throughout the playoffs...

If someone has protested the game, we have won. If no one protests, we have lost.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Formula 1's Grand Prix in Imola (Italy) yesterday was pretty exciting. It was one of a handful of races this year that will use sprint qualifying, a 20-ish lap race to determine the grid order versus the normal timed laps. The Italian stands were rabid for Ferrari, of course, and Charles LeClerc (WDC leader) had been looking strong all weekend along with his teammate Carlos Sainz. Unfortunately, Sainz spun out early on and had to retire leaving the Italian nationalism in the hands of young LeClerc... who spent most of the race chasing Max Verstappen out front before spinning out himself and dropping from a podium to the midfield. It was sad; I was really rooting for Ferrari on their home track.

Outside of that, Mercedes? They've got some shit to figure out. Both Lewis Hamilton and George Russell qualified below 10th, and while Russell managed to claw his way up to 4th, Hamilton, 7-time WDC and ostensible G.O.A.T., found himself stuck behind the Alpha Tauri of Pierre Gasly and in P14. It was pathetic. I'm not even a Hamilton fan, and I felt bad for him struggling back there. Then came the moment when he got LAPPED by race leader Verstappen (the person he went into 2021's final Grand Prix tied for the championship and controversially lost to; ) you could hear the collective gasp of everyone around the world, but David Croft summed it up nicely by saying "ouch."

My guy Valtteri Bottas? Great fucking drive. Finished P5 after qualifying P7. He fought to the end despite a shit pit stop which, had it been done correctly, he could have finished even higher. I told myself I just wanted him to beat Russell, the asshole who took Bottas' seat at Mercedes, and he was on his heels (within a half second) for the final couple of laps, but didn't quite make it as Imola is a narrow track with one DRS zone which makes overtaking a bit tricky. Still, he's proven strong in what only last year was a backfield team.

Advanced thinking. Bottas had better savor every point he gets this autumn, for he ain't getting many more.
You thought I forgot? Put some milk on those words; makes 'em easier to eat. Bottas is currently 8th in the WDC with Alfa Romeo.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
You thought I forgot? Put some milk on those words; makes 'em easier to eat. Bottas is currently 8th in the WDC with Alfa Romeo.
Who would've known Mercedes and Alpine drop the ball so hard. Anyway, back in 2019 Räikkönen finished steadily in the points until about halfway into the season. Starting from the 2019 Belgian GP he only got 7 finishes in the points during the rest of his career.

So I'm saying they can still fuck things up. Good to see that Bottas is miles above his Chinese teammate.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Who would've known Mercedes and Alpine drop the ball so hard. Anyway, back in 2019 Räikkönen finished steadily in the points until about halfway into the season. Starting from the 2019 Belgian GP he only got 7 finishes in the points during the rest of his career.

So I'm saying they can still fuck things up. Good to see that Bottas is miles above his Chinese teammate.
These new cars and regulations have really shaken things up. Have you seen what Haas has been doing?? About the only team that has been consistent from last year is Red Bull; everyone else is either better or worse. And I wouldn't compare Alpine's decline to that of Mercedes; they're still competitive in the midfield whereas Mercedes is really struggling with their 7-time WDC and 5 consecutive WCCs. I'd say Aston Martin fell off more than Alpine.

And for the sake of the team, while I am glad Bottas is out performing Zhou, I still wish Zhou was a bit more competitive; like McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari, it'd be nice to see team consistency and put them in a better place to assist one another when necessary. But Zhou's a rookie; he'll find his footing, and Bottas strikes me as the kind of teammate that will help him (one of the reasons I like him; he's just a good dude.)

And poor Nicholas Latifi. I feel so bad for the guy. He was the catalyst for the end of Abu Dhabi 2021, and has had incidents in almost every session since; he's a pariah; he's the new Nikita Mazapin. People are calling him a lability, a danger to the sport, when the fact is, he's no more of a liability than most other drivers. I mean look at Charles LeClerc, that dude can barely make it through a weekend without spinning out or wrecking, and he's currently leading the WDC, but no one is calling for his head. Had it not been for Abu Dhabi 2021, Latifi would be just another mediocre driver at a backfield team.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Welp, day 1 of the 2022 NFL draft is done, and only 1 QB was picked in the first round, Kenny Pickett to the Steelers. It's been an interesting draft so far; seems like teams are focused on beefing up defense and offensive lines which usually aren't the sexy picks that get people excited. I wonder if this isn't in response to a league geared more towards dynamic and mobile quarterbacks and explosive runs than it's ever been.

Meanwhile, my Niners had no picks in this first round; we're busy bitching around with Deebo Samuel because, as a wide receiver, he doesn't want to be used as a running back in Shanahan's offensive scheme. I love the guy, but damn it, for all the moves being made in our division, we're struggling to maintain competence and competitiveness, and this diva (who truly is probably our biggest weapon) is making noise. Classic case of the trophy wife/husband realizing you're not shit without them, and daring you to puff out your chest.

And what's with deleting your teams' content from social media being a thing? I mean, who cares? And if that's these million dollar players' response to being unhappy with their situation... WHO THE FUCK CARES??? Make the statement on the field or in meetings with management; deleting social media posts is something a teenage girl does. This is the NFL, a billion dollar employer, not fucking high school.