SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Actual footage of the NCAAF National Championship between TCU and Georgia last night:

That wasn't a game; it was a massacre, finishing 7-65. I think TCU could probably press felony charges. It was a shame too, because TCU really was a Cinderella story with everyone quietly rooting for them. No one expected them to make it as far as they did, but when they did, *no one expected it to end like THAT. That team did not seem to belong in that game; nothing was working for them while Georgia was a well-oiled steamroller for four straight quarters.

*EDIT: I don't think anyone expected TCU to win, but they certainly expected them to compete with a respectable performance like those that brought them that far.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That wasn't a game; it was a massacre, finishing 7-65. I think TCU could probably press felony charges. It was a shame too, because TCU really was a Cinderella story with everyone quietly rooting for them. No one expected them to make it as far as they did, but when they did, *no one expected it to end like THAT. That team did not seem to belong in that game; nothing was working for them while Georgia was a well-oiled steamroller for four straight quarters.

*EDIT: I don't think anyone expected TCU to win, but they certainly expected them to compete with a respectable performance like those that brought them that far.
I work in Big 12 country. Seeing any Big 12 team, especially one that isn't on the way out like Texas or OU, even make it to the college football playoff was a fairly big deal. Seeing TCU get crushed like that hit pretty hard. The "old" method of selecting teams to vie for the title might (naa, would) have given us a better national championship game. But the "semifinals" were both pretty good games. I still think the "tournament" has to expand. No real need to get to the 68 of the basketball postseason. But 12 or 16... at least the slaughter games would probably be confined to the 1st or second round.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I work in Big 12 country. Seeing any Big 12 team, especially one that isn't on the way out like Texas or OU, even make it to the college football playoff was a fairly big deal. Seeing TCU get crushed like that hit pretty hard. The "old" method of selecting teams to vie for the title might (naa, would) have given us a better national championship game. But the "semifinals" were both pretty good games. I still think the "tournament" has to expand. No real need to get to the 68 of the basketball postseason. But 12 or 16... at least the slaughter games would probably be confined to the 1st or second round.
I'm from Big 10 country myself, and am a dyed in the wool Buckeye, but when I first moved to North Texas, one of the first regular friends I made was a TCU graduate, so insofar as Texas teams go, I've rooted for them as my "Texas" team. I don't actively follow them or anything, I just send a text to my buddy on gameday wishing him the best. I really wanted TCU to make that game against Georgia competitive, and in my heart of hearts, I wanted the upset, but knew that was asking too much.

And as for the upcoming playoff expansion, It's already so convoluted, I won't pretend to understand how it works, but I think adding more teams at least lends some fairness and opportunity and should quite some of the detractors of the current system. Personally, I don't really care. College football is already rife with enough rivalries that the National Championship almost feels unnecessary. I tell everyone every year, the only game I really care about each season is when Ohio State plays Michigan; everything else is window dressing. Once we lost to them last year, I didn't care where we got ranked, who we played next, or even if we made the Championship; we lost to Michigan; the season was OVER at that point.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
So glad Todd Helton looks a lock for the HoF. I'm a bias Rockies fan but he really was denied an MVP cos of Bonds murderfest in the early 2000's, then Pujols came along and took the mantle. Was a huge part of that WS run, raked for us for years, so happy he's gonna get the recognition he deserves.

On the topic of Bonds, if A-Rod or Kent gets in this year then there's no excuse to not put him in, even thought I think he's out of contention cos of the baseball HoF's dumb fucking rules. I shouldn't try and defend drug cheats but if that can be swept under the rug for lesser players (Kent more than A-Rod obviously) then Bonds has to go in no matter how big of an asshole he was.

It also made be realise the depressing amount of domestic abusers who are on the ballot this year, and they'll have more chances in the coming years. Really puts in perspective that cheating at a game is seen as a bigger crime than that in the eyes of writers and fans.

Last edited:

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I said to my brother that teams were crazy for not picking up Pederson when he left the Eagles. People are gonna call it a choke (as it was) but Jacksonville played like warriors in the second half, he really got them going and called some ballsy shit to get them over the line. How a SB winning coach got hung out to dry by every team in the league is beyond me. I've never been high on Lawrence but he showed incredible metal fortitude after throwing all those picks. Everyone's talking about Jackson and Herbert's eventual extensions, but Jacksonville NEED to pay him when the time comes, he is developing into a excellent QB.

Lmao Chargers. Herbert shit the bed in the second half but holy shit he was let down by that defense. Its 28-3 all over again. Be interesting to see what they do this off season. If they push hard to get Sean Payton it would be a good move but if they can't keep Herbert happy I really see him walking at the end of his rookie contract. They need to sort shit next season or they might be in big trouble, even after all the success they've had in the past few years.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't really know who Piers Morgan is, but his futbol takes make me think he is an inconsequential person.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't really know who Piers Morgan is, but his futbol takes make me think he is an inconsequential person.
He's the guy that apologists point out Jeremy Clarkson punched to downplay him being Jeremy Clarkson, cause Morgan is even worse.

EDIT: He's also a notable part of the inspiration of Wasabi, by Little Mix, which is (IMHO) their best song, and about the band dealing with terrible people.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Another year, another one of these posts...

View attachment 7720
While I am happy my Niners knocked off the Seahawks, the rest of wildcard weekend was pretty much a gut punch. I certainly wanted the Vikings to beat the Giants, and watching the Cowboys win over Tom Brady... ugh, made me sick. Now I have to listen to Cowboys' fans' shit talk for the next week as we prepare for them Sunday night. God help me if we actually manage to lose that game...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
1674139497466.png

I know this was probably made by some unpaid intern who may not even speak English, but wow. The more you look the more questions you have.

Reactions: Offworlder

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Niners beat the Cowboys and kicked them out of the playoffs AGAIN, two years in a row. Living in North Texas, surrounded by Cowboys fans, I don't know where to start my trolling texts. First my barber, then literally everyone else. Last night was my Super Bowl.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Live footage of me watching the NFC Championship game last night:
Yeah, my Niners took a beating by the hands of the Eagles. But fuck if we didn't try. Our already 3rd-string QB went down with an injury on the first series, bringing in our 4th-stringer Josh Johnson, I guy I didn't know existed and who was probably working concessions until he got called up. Then HE got injured in the exact same fashion, and our recently acquired star RB Christian fucking McCaffrey got called up for QB duties. It was a mess and a nightmare. Oh, and let us not forget officiating made sure we couldn't fart without being penalized.

But I'm still proud of this team. We made a helluva run on fumes. I just hope we can keep enough of them together to be a threat again next season. We'll be back, but don't say you hear us coming...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah, my Niners took a beating by the hands of the Eagles. But fuck if we didn't try. Our already 3rd-string QB went down with an injury on the first series, bringing in our 4th-stringer Josh Johnson, I guy I didn't know existed and who was probably working concessions until he got called up. Then HE got injured in the exact same fashion, and our recently acquired star RB Christian fucking McCaffrey got called up for QB duties. It was a mess and a nightmare. Oh, and let us not forget officiating made sure we couldn't fart without being penalized.

But I'm still proud of this team. We made a helluva run on fumes. I just hope we can keep enough of them together to be a threat again next season.
It sucks it had to end that way. The story of Brock Purdy was the BEST remaining narrative of the playoffs. Looks like history is coming down on his side though. He has gone from Mr. Irrelevant, to unbeaten in any game he wasn't trying to play in with a shattered elbow. Well, torn ligament; but to a QB that's basically shattered. If he had gone from Mr. Irrelevant to getting revenge for LIV by beating the Chiefs... I live in Chiefs country, but holy shit that would have been a great story.

Yeah, you will be back. But I don't envy anyone the QB decision the 9ers will have to make in the offseason. As far as I'm concerned, Purdy has earned at least a shot at the top job. But that elbow will need surgery. And recovery time. Also as far as I'm concerned, Trey Lance really hasn't fully had a chance to show if HE can be the guy. Plus, some big names being tossed around in the QB carousel... The 9ers have such a solid team everywhere else. But a wrong move at QB can be just as devastating as a freak number of QB injuries.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It sucks it had to end that way. The story of Brock Purdy was the BEST remaining narrative of the playoffs. Looks like history is coming down on his side though. He has gone from Mr. Irrelevant, to unbeaten in any game he wasn't trying to play in with a shattered elbow. Well, torn ligament; but to a QB that's basically shattered. If he had gone from Mr. Irrelevant to getting revenge for LIV by beating the Chiefs... I live in Chiefs country, but holy shit that would have been a great story.

Yeah, you will be back. But I don't envy anyone the QB decision the 9ers will have to make in the offseason. As far as I'm concerned, Purdy has earned at least a shot at the top job. But that elbow will need surgery. And recovery time. Also as far as I'm concerned, Trey Lance really hasn't fully had a chance to show if HE can be the guy. Plus, some big names being tossed around in the QB carousel... The 9ers have such a solid team everywhere else. But a wrong move at QB can be just as devastating as a freak number of QB injuries.
My buddy, also a Niners fan, immediately went into our QB damage and repair assessment. He think we should make a play for Tom Brady. He ran through the best case scenario given Brady will be a free agent: being from the Bay area, he might like to come play for his old favorite team; he sees the weapons he'd have at his disposal; a 1-2 years contract with options is perfect for his "win now" mentality, hell, he might even take a league minimum to free up cap space to pay other players when their restructures come up, etc. He also made a case for Aaron Rodgers, but he'd cost us a lot even though his desire to get out of Green Bay, Green Bay's desire to get rid of him, and his well-documented dissatisfaction when the Niners didn't pick him in the draft, all make for a perfect match.

I don't know what we're going to do, but we need to do something and fast.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Welp, Tom Brady "officially" "retires" yet "again." There goes my fever dream that he might come to the Niners for one last go with our stacked roster. Guess I just have to wait a month for him to come to his senses.

But seriously, dude literally lost his marriage to the game only to go out with a losing record? If he's serious, I won't be shocked, but I'll be noticeably taken aback.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dan Orlovsky listed his top 5 QBs of all time, and left Joe Montana off the list.

Look, I don't know everything, but I know listing Dan Marino (who won precisely ZERO Super Bowls) ahead of Joes Montana (who went to 4 of them and won them ALL) is about as stupid a thing to say as most anything stupid one can say. I was watching in real time, and I actually called him "stupid" before Keyshawn Johnson did in his response. Yeah, he has "stats" to support Marino's better numbers in some categories, but given the fact that success is measured by wins, and Montana won the biggest game 4 times versus Marino's none, I think rating the latter as the "better" player is just idiotic.

Also, Dan Orlovsky only uses salt and pepper to season his food; he's notoriously picky and sensitive to spice, so I can say, without question, he has poor taste which I think has transferred to his judgement.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Dan Orlovsky listed his top 5 QBs of all time, and left Joe Montana off the list.

Look, I don't know everything, but I know listing Dan Marino (who won precisely ZERO Super Bowls) ahead of Joes Montana (who went to 4 of them and won them ALL) is about as stupid a thing to say as most anything stupid one can say. I was watching in real time, and I actually called him "stupid" before Keyshawn Johnson did in his response. Yeah, he has "stats" to support Marino's better numbers in some categories, but given the fact that success is measured by wins, and Montana won the biggest game 4 times versus Marino's none, I think rating the latter as the "better" player is just idiotic.

Also, Dan Orlovsky only uses salt and pepper to season his food; he's notoriously picky and sensitive to spice, so I can say, without question, he has poor taste which I think has transferred to his judgement.

Modern sports 'journalism' in a nutshell. If this was a shitslinging Twitter thread I wouldn't be surprised. Been putting up with trash anti-union NRL hitpieces all week, now I'm gonna be buried up 'BrAdY GoAt???!!!11' vids for a month.

On a more positive note, Sean Payton comes to Denver. He's not gonna fix all our issues, but it'll shore up some problems at least. He'll at the very least be able to pull everyone into line with the respect he commands, and that's gotta count for something after the season just had.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Modern sports 'journalism' in a nutshell. If this was a shitslinging Twitter thread I wouldn't be surprised. Been putting up with trash anti-union NRL hitpieces all week, now I'm gonna be buried up 'BrAdY GoAt???!!!11' vids for a month.

On a more positive note, Sean Payton comes to Denver. He's not gonna fix all our issues, but it'll shore up some problems at least. He'll at the very least be able to pull everyone into line with the respect he commands, and that's gotta count for something after the season just had.
Peyton going to Denver is a great call. My Niners are my #1, ride or die, I'll cut a b*tch for 'em team, but the Saints are my easy #2. I was sad to see Brees leave, sad when Peyton retired, and visibly upset when they tossed around Arizona (my division) as one of Peyton's likely return spots. I don't want to root against Sean Peyton unless he's playing my team, and in the NFC West, I'd have to root against him constantly. I don't know what he's going to do in Denver, but it can only get better now with a veteran coach and a veteran, SB-winning quarterback who seems to need to be reminded of that fact.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So the Pro Bowl games happened this weekend. I must say, while still pretty pointless, I love this format versus the old way of doing things in a game of effectively touch football with no one actually trying. It was fun, funny, silly, and good to see competitors enjoying their sport and camaraderie instead of spitting acid on the sidelines in the heat of serious competition.

I don't recall the players involved, but there was a moment when instinct kicked in during one of the flag football games, and someone made a real NFL tackle. I want to say it was a defensive player who saw an opportunity for a sack, and the rules of flag football were forgotten in the heat of the moment. Both players got up laughing; thank God no one was hurt since they weren't wearing helmets or pads, but it WAS funny.

I know a lot of people hate on the Pro Bowl, but as someone who loves the game and a lot of these players, I'll watch them whenever and whatever they're doing, so I hope it sticks around in this capacity. At least with this format, the players are in on the joke and not simply tasked with pretending to do their jobs.